eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Computing

Notices

Computing All things binary...

Old December 27th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

Zen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to all
Question My Phonetic English- Hindi Translator - For Beta Testing Released here!

Type in Hindi using English keyboard - Tool RELEASED HERE!
Yes The Tool is now available!
The code is just less than 130 lines - I'll reduce it further - it is a light weight javascript function with the HTML file. (view source)
Download the zip file. open the html file start testing and copy-pasting. The code is yours to have some fun with!
If you are a javascript programmer (unlike me) make it better!

It is 4:00 AM I need to go to the office tomorrow I would not have released the code without beating it up a little more but many wanted to test it - so here you have it!

Lets start testing it!
I am not a web programmer so suggestions welcome!

I named it "HUG"! pun well intended - its my mental sh!t!
Attached Files
File Type: zip hug.zip (3.3 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by Zen; December 27th, 2004 at 02:25 AM.
Old December 27th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Instant Mischief

Budmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up plz check

Well done

Last edited by Budmaas; December 27th, 2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old December 27th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent Zen.. works like a charm. Today at work I will try to find bugs if any. Again, great job.
Old December 27th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Senior eCharchan

Zen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to all
Re: plz check

Thanks Badmaas and GpeL!

Last edited by Zen; December 27th, 2004 at 09:00 AM.
Old December 27th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Instant Mischief

Budmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond reputeBudmaas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: plz check

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen
Badmaas,
will you be serious for a fukking moment and test it for real!
I was testing it & it works . . grrrrrrrrrrrreat .........

sorry .. . I pasted that unicode just for test & it translated all those ...... very clearly & nicely ...

Good job. ...

Old December 27th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Senior eCharchan

Correction!

Yes some browsers get emotional if you paste hindi ... I tested it - you better paste the unicodes!

Last edited by Zen; December 27th, 2004 at 08:16 AM.
Old December 27th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Axecuse Me?

dawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud of
Hey dude, its excellent, I am very impressed One thing I wanna ask is that do I see the hindi format coz I have the font installed in my comp or will this be visible to anyone and everyone?
Old December 27th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by dawizard
Hey dude, its excellent, I am very impressed One thing I wanna ask is that do I see the hindi format coz I have the font installed in my comp or will this be visible to anyone and everyone?
Ideally it should be visible on every browser supporting unicode!
I have only once case so far where the user gets to see boxes ... beats me!

Echarchans have been testing it on different machines and browsers - it has worked so far.

The concept is in place - we need to improvise it further.

I hope some strong web programmers will come up with cool ideas!

I need feedback - like
how intutive it is!
Bugs and List of expectations from it and things on those line!
I hope we can make it much better.
Please write your responses in hindi if possible - just for fun! - its fun to see!!
Old December 27th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

मेरी विश लिस्ट:
कॅपी-पेस्ट करने के लिये बटन.
अन्गरेज़ी में स्विच करने कि सुविधा.
फाईल सेव करने कि सुविधा.
स्वरों से शुरु होने वाले शब्द अपने आप सही दिखी दें.

add yours here!

Last edited by Zen; December 27th, 2004 at 07:58 AM.
Old December 27th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Axecuse Me?

dawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Zen
मेरी विश लिस्ट:
कॅपी-पेस्ट करने के लिये बटन.
अन्गरेज़ी में स्विच करने कि सुविधा.
फाईल सेव करने कि सुविधा.
स्वरों से शुरु होने वाले शब्द अपने आप सही दिखी दें.

add yours here!

And this would be the case when I would see all the boxes right? Coz right now in this msg of urs I just see plain boxes no hindi chars compared to the ones above this....

Anyways from UI point of view a couple of easy things I just noticed would have helped:
1. When writing Text to be converted it starts wherever on the first row u click and start typing...ideally I would expect it to start by default from the 1st row 1st column types
2. The Reset button before the Translate button is perfectly placed to reset the message. I have personally seen submit button before reset too , maybe coz i am in a habit of using 'Tab' to jump to 'Submit reply' in echarcha too...

But anyways these were just things i noticed when i was trying it out, don't have much tech report on the program yet, will update ya once I spend some more time with it. Great stuff!
Old December 27th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Axecuse Me?

sorry abt the above comment abt not seeing the text, I saw ur wish list, works like a charm
Old December 27th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by dawizard
sorry abt the above comment abt not seeing the text, I saw ur wish list, works like a charm
The comment was valid ... It works better if you copy-paste unicodes!

Last edited by Zen; December 27th, 2004 at 08:20 AM.
Old December 27th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Works great so far zen. I figured out the other tool (the bbc one) yesterday after an hours work. This one behaves fine right out side the box.

One suggestion.. If you have left out some alphabets (capitals) just make them same as the small letters for now. For example

Saba produces a blank while saba produces सब.

Also if a word ends with a consonant, the translator should assume the vowel (a) as default so "sab" productes सब and so does "saba". (get the idea?) more intuitive that way.

Will let you know more as I keep testing it.
Old December 27th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
Works great so far zen. I figured out the other tool (the bbc one) yesterday after an hours work. This one behaves fine right out side the box.

One suggestion.. If you have left out some alphabets (capitals) just make them same as the small letters for now. For example

Saba produces a blank while saba produces सब.

Also if a word ends with a consonant, the translator should assume the vowel (a) as default so "sab" productes सब and so does "saba". (get the idea?) more intuitive that way.

Will let you know more as I keep testing it.
Yes I agree - .. I'll add it tonight!

Last edited by Zen; December 27th, 2004 at 09:00 AM.
Old December 27th, 2004, 09:23 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute
Zen
Mayb saba and sab makes sense

but sumit and sumita gives सुमित