eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Indian Politics

Notices

Indian Politics Our national time-pass!

Old January 17th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute
Angry The Tehsildar's Office...

Hi All,

So I'm studying for the MBA MH-CET, which is on the 27th of February. Just so that students from other states don't apply, we need to provide a domicile certificate!

Obviously I don't have one yet, because I haven't had the need for it. It used to be done at the local Suburban court, so I went there. There are lots of lawyers in the precinct of the court who flock at you whenever you enter - searching for some job! So I got off my bike and a lawyer came besides me - I swear it reminded me of black-ticket sellers near Gaiety and Galaxy! Anyway, so he asks me "Kya kaam hain?" I said, "Domicile banvaana hain".
So he said, they've stopped the application and processing of domicile certificates from the court since December 2010, and that I would have to apply for it through the Tehsildar's office!

So, I went to Andheri west in search of the Tehsildar's office near Navrang Cinema. Somehow, after innumerable enquires, I found it.

I bought the form which costs Rs. 44.50 - It is a ridiculous price! Reminded me of Bata... All their footwear costs Rs. x.95! Its another thing that she ended up taking Rs. 45 from me!

Now, on the form, there is a list of documents required :
1) Proof of Identity - Passport/PAN Card/Voter's ID Card
2) Proof of Residence - Ration Card/Driving License/Passport
3) Age proof - Birth Certificate/School leaving Certificate.
4) Proof of residence in the state of Maharashtra for 10 years at a stretch.

So, the next day, I took photo copies of my Passport, Birth Certificate, School Leaving Certificate and since I don't have a Ration Card anymore (we lost it and never applied for it since we don't buy our grocery on ration - besides, behind the ration card, they've clearly mentioned that "This document should NOT be used as a proof of Identity or Residence") I took a letter signed and stamped by the secretary of our society stating that I've been staying in the building since birth!

For my passport as well, these many documents were sufficient, so I thought I'll submit them and that headache will be off my head. I stood in the line for almost 40 minutes for my turn. Finally, I reached the collection-gentleman's desk and hand him the documents that I had.

He scanned through them and says "Ration card kidhar hain?" I said, "Nahi hain mere paas kyuki uski jaroorat nahi padti... uske badle mein maine Passport aur society ka letter laya hain." He said, "Woh kaafi nahi hain...Ration card compulsory hain." So I replied "Form pe oblique hain... iska matlab in-mese koi ek document lagta hain..." Toh he was like "Ration card nahi hain, toh 1st to 10th ke saare marksheets lao"... I got frustrated and said "Woh kaun rakhta hain? Mere paas khali 10th ka hain... aur school leaving certificate pe date of admission and date of exit clearly likha hain... le lo naa"

After a prolonged arguement, he still refused to budge. He was adamant on having those documents. By the time the arguement ended, I had lost confidence and started thinking maybe I'd never get a Domicile at this rate... and be ineligible for the CET!

Luckily, there is a lawyer who stays in my society... After I came back home unsuccessfully... I went to his house. I told him what had happened and he was like... The documents that You'd taken along with you, were MORE than sufficient... what the people at the Tehsildar's office are trying to do is rip you off some money! That's about it. He even advised... take about Rs. 500 with you and offer it to him... they'll process your documents properly!

Now, the question is, I really don't mind paying him... and it's not like I have principles that would disallow me from bribing people... I'm of the attitude that if my work is getting done... I'd rather pay and get it over with...
Just that, during this whole rigmarole... the angst that is caused... is it worth it?!?!

Last edited by Alibaba; January 17th, 2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old January 17th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Tehsildar's Office...

Uske senior ko complain kar,but dont give him any money.You now got a chance to change the system go ahead.
Old January 17th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Uske senior ko complain kar,but dont give him any money.You now got a chance to change the system go ahead.
Swami ji... I'm not that bothered! Corruption is present everywhere... kya kya saaf karte baithu!! Mera kaam ek baar poora ho jaye... phir dekh lunga...
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:13 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread

The babus don't generally care whether the government loses or makes money. They have the powers, they know that you are the needy one (the need for clearances etc), they know that you are going to continue to remain needy and depending on the individual's conscience, they exploit it to their personal advantage.

I'll use this thread to narrate my various experiences (/ expenses ) with the babudom, starting with the most recent ones.

1) I received a notice from BSNL on 27/12/2010 saying that I had Rs. 55000/- phone bills due since June 2000 !!..

Now, it isn't entirely untrue, because in 2000 we had a spat with the then DOT about overbilling since we had been receiving monthly bills in excess of Rs. 15000 per month. Everytime we complained about it, they said "please pay the bill now. We will make enquiries and your payments will be adjusted against future bills". So, for 2-3 months we paid the five figure bill amount and then stopped paying till the matter was resolved. Our phone was disconnected after two months. After that, silence for 2 years, then we received a notice... and then silence till 2010.

After 10 years, the babus awoke to the long standing issue and sent me a notice.

I went to the telephone office and created a ruckus and we settled on Rs. 18,555/- in 7 monthly installments.

No ghoos involved, but it seems like BSNL finally lost a lot of money because of either earlier wrong billing and because of late collection.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old January 17th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
Good thread

The babus don't generally care whether the government loses or makes money. They have the powers, they know that you are the needy one (the need for clearances etc), they know that you are going to continue to remain needy and depending on the individual's conscience, they exploit it to their personal advantage.

I'll use this thread to narrate my various experiences (/ expenses ) with the babudom, starting with the most recent ones.

1) I received a notice from BSNL on 27/12/2010 saying that I had Rs. 55000/- phone bills due since June 2000 !!..

Now, it isn't entirely untrue, because in 2000 we had a spat with the then DOT about overbilling since we had been receiving monthly bills in excess of Rs. 15000 per month. Everytime we complained about it, they said "please pay the bill now. We will make enquiries and your payments will be adjusted against future bills". So, for 2-3 months we paid the five figure bill amount and then stopped paying till the matter was resolved. Our phone was disconnected after two months. After that, silence for 2 years, then we received a notice... and then silence till 2010.

After 10 years, the babus awoke to the long standing issue and sent me a notice.

I went to the telephone office and created a ruckus and we settled on Rs. 18,555/- in 7 monthly installments.

No ghoos involved, but it seems like BSNL finally lost a lot of money because of either earlier wrong billing and because of late collection.
I have khilaoed these ba@@rds many times now...

These buggers know exactly who's in how much hurry. The sooner you require something done... the time they quote (for your thing to be done) is longer. Hence most of us think what the hell... lets just pay it and get it over with...

Last edited by Alibaba; January 17th, 2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
Swami ji... I'm not that bothered! Corruption is present everywhere... kya kya saaf karte baithu!! Mera kaam ek baar poora ho jaye... phir dekh lunga...
I thought you started this thread to get some moral support to fight the bribe culture,but it seems you are proud to pay them.

You seem to be happy in showing off how much you paid them but in the process people like you are responsible for the problems all the citizen have to face.

Shabaash mere mitti ke sher tu India ko aage lekar jaaega
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Quote:
I thought you started this thread to get some moral support to fight the bribe culture,but it seems you are proud to pay them.

You seem to be happy in showing off how much you paid them but in the process people like you are responsible for the problems all the citizen have to face.

No Swamiji... I'm not proud to pay them... In fact, until very recently, I was dead against paying any sort of bribe. As a matter of fact, even today, whenever a traffic havaldar catches me... for any reason... I don't pay him. I argue... and if he doesn't budge... I take a receipt (Pavti) from him. If he says he wants to keep the lisence, I let him... and collect it from the police station the next day.

The case here is different... I NEED to get this work done URGENTLY! Hence, I don't mind paying him. I'm certainly not showing off how much I paid him... heck... I still have to go there tomorrow to submit my form (and pay bribe)!

The thing is, it has become a 'tradition' in India now-a-days. Nobody minds that anymore... It has almost become normal here! And to tell you the truth... I alone can't win the battle!

My future education (and possibly my professional future) is at stake here! Which makes this document of utmost importance to me. And honestly, makes me very vulnerable! After I get this... that is, after I'm done with all the formalities and get my Domicile certificate IN MY HAND... I am going to write to some newspaper... perhaps some local one like Mumbai Mirror... Bhai... mera kaam ho jane ke baad unki marunga! (Jitni ho sake utni!)

Last edited by Alibaba; January 17th, 2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

In fact... let me tell you an anecdote from 4 years ago.

I didn't have the 'original' copy of my birth certificate - I only had photo copies, and I wanted to apply for a passport. Since I'd finished school and was studying at college, I didn't even have my original school leaving certificate! Now, either one of the two documents is absolutely necessary to prove my birth date!

So I went to the local Municipal office. I took along with me an attested copy of my birth certificate. And I said to the gentleman sitting behind an age old computer "Sir, where can I apply for the birth certificate?" He directed me towards the concerned counter and I stood in queue. My turn came and I filled up the form and paid the fee (not bribe - just fee) I submitted it and asked him when I could come to collect the certificate. He said it'd be ready within a week and I could collect it then. So, I did some calculations in my head and excluded the weekends and decided that I'd come here after 10 days. I thought, sarkari kaam would certainly get delayed for some or the other reason.

So after 10 days, I went to the concerned department and showed them the receipt. I requested them to give my certificate. This time, there was a lady who I'd addressed to. She said "Woh saab aye nahi hain aaj... aap 2 din ke baad aao!" I thought... what the hell, I've waited for 10 days anyway, what difference are 2 more days going to make! So I left...

I came back after 2 days and the lady wasn't there. So I asked a gentleman, who I'd seen sitting besides that lady that day, to hand me my birth certificate. He browsed through some files and told me... "Abhi tak process nahi hua!" I was like... "I was told that the certificate would be ready in 8 days and it has been 12 days already and the document is still not processed? I am in urgent need so please make it soon!" This guy said "Ok ok... aap aur 8 din ke baad ayien!" I thought I wouldn't argue anymore and left saying "Theek hain, par tab tak please karva do!" He nodded...

After 8 days I went in there again and I asked him for my certificate. He said, "Ab tak nahi hua... woh saab bemaar hain... isi liye aapka kuch process nahi hua"... That just pissed me off royally... I said "Kya matlab? Woh 1 hi saab aapka sab kaam karte hain kya? Agar woh itne beemaar hain, toh kisi aur ko kahiye karne ke liye... Mujhe zaroorat hain isi liye main original ke liye aya hoon!" So he was like... "Aur ek saab hain... par woh karenge ki nahi pata nahi..." I raised my voice and told him "Woh sab mujhe nahi pata... aap mujhe ek last date bataiye... main tab aunga aur mera certificate mujhe tab ready chahiye..." He asked me to come after 8 more days and said it would be 100% ready by then.

After 8 days I went again and was puzzled to find that these buggers had undertaken renovation work. The "Birth Certificate" department was shifting from the 2nd floor to the 4th. I went on the 4th floor and found the same man. I asked him "Ready hain na certificate? De do mujhe..." He was like "Aap dekh hi rahein hain... shifing ka kaam chalu hain... aap kal aajaien"... That just blew my top off... I literally screamed at that guy saying "Mujhe passport ke liye apply karna hain... main yaha pe already 4 baar aa chuka hoon... almost 1 mahina ho gaya hain... main aur nahi rukh sakta!" So he spoke to one of his colleagues and asked me to come after 2 hours. I was like... fine... 2 hours is all I'm going to wait for.

I went up after 2 hours and luckily, the moron had finished printing my birth certificate! He handed it to me... I said "Thank you" and started walking away. He called me out and said "Aarey sir... aap kuch dene wale the naa... urgently karwaya maine aapka kaam"... I replied "Maine kab bola ki main kuch dene wala hoon? Aur urgently kaika... aapne 1 mahina liya ye chapwaneke liye ... Kya chahiye ab aapko?" I put my hand in my pocket and removed a Rs. 20 note and said "Mere paas itna hi hain... woh bhi rikshaw se wapas jane ke liye... Yeh nahi dunga aapko..." And stormed out...

Moral : I'm not proud to pay bribes... In fact, whenever I don't think its necessary... I fight and get my work done... Yes I'm pretty feisty!
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:28 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Swamiji, aapka passport abhi tak kyon nahi ban paya, ye baat ab samajh mein aayi
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Banned

soniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond repute

kahan jaa rahe hian ?
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniya 2 View Post
kahan jaa rahe hian ?
Kisko pucha?
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Banned

soniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kisko pucha?
you ........
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniya 2 View Post
you ........
I'm not going anywhere! When did I say I was going anywhere!
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Moral : I'm not proud to pay bribes... In fact, whenever I don't think its necessary... I fight and get my work done... Yes I'm pretty feisty!
We also had an interesting experience with birth certificate. My husband lost his original and had only photo copies. We went to the Municipal office and filled an application and paid the fee. When we asked when we should come to collect the certificate they said it would take 1 month! We had to return home within 20 days and we did the mistake of telling him the same. That's it, after that he said come tomorrow. We went there and he said come tomorrow again. Like that we went back and forth 10 working days and my mother in law gave up and paid the clerk Rs.1,000 and guess what, we had the certificate in our hands in 10 minutes.

We really did feel ashamed to pay the bribe but we needed the certificate badly and that too on short notice.

Perhaps we did have a choice, I cant say we didnt have a choice. So yeah...in certain circumstances, we do fall prey to the system.
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
We also had an interesting experience with birth certificate. My husband lost his original and had only photo copies. We went to the Municipal office and filled an application and paid the fee. When we asked when we should come to collect the certificate they said it would take 1 month! We had to return home within 20 days and we did the mistake of telling him the same. That's it, after that he said come tomorrow. We went there and he said come tomorrow again. Like that we went back and forth 10 working days and my mother in law gave up and paid the clerk Rs.1,000 and guess what, we had the certificate in our hands in 10 minutes.

We really did feel ashamed to pay the bribe but we needed the certificate badly and that too on short notice.

Perhaps we did have a choice, I cant say we didnt have a choice. So yeah...in certain circumstances, we do fall prey to the system.
Absolutely! And it's the government after all...!! We are at the helm of their whims and fancies!