eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Friday Special

Notices

Friday Special Tickle your funny bone...

Old June 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

motowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Bengali Nicknames

Stumbled upon this on the internet. Being a bong myself, I certify it to be 100% accurate

Quote:
To Choton, Gulgul, Khoka, Laltu, Gogol, Tutu, Baablu .... et al

In these pages, I will attempt to alert people to a great injustice that is being perpetrated upon the sons of Bengal. So you thought they were wimpy to begin with. Far from it,my friend. Their current state is a result of years of conditioning by the oppressors - namely the women. By using a variety of psychological weapons, they have reduced these fine men to what you see today.

Today we focus on the first weapon in their hands - the nickname.

When a son is born into a Bengali household, he is gifted with a resonant, sonorous name. Bengali names are wonderful things. They convey majesty and power. A man with a name like Prasenjit, Arunabha or Sukanta is a man who will walk with his head held high, knowing that the world expects great deeds from him, which was why they bestowed the title thatis his name upon him.

But it simply will not do for these men to get ahead of themselves.Their swelling confidence needs to be shattered. How can one go about it?This task is left to the mothers of these lads and is accomplished by the simple act of referring to the boy, not by his fine-sounding real name,but by a nickname which Shakti Kapoor would be ashamed to answer to.

There are some rules for creating nicknames, which need to be followed.
They are -

1) Nicknames must have no connection to the real name.Arunabha cannot be called Arun. No, for that would be logical, and such>things are anathema in the world of women. Instead he shall be called >Bhombol. If possible, the nickname and real name must have no letters in>common, but an ancient alphabet proves to be the constraining factor>there.

2) Nicknames must be humiliating. If you are a tall strapping boy, with a flair for soccer, an easy charm and an endearing personality, then you shall be nicknamed - Bhondu. And every time, you have set your sights on a girl, and are on the verge of >having the aforementioned lass eat out of your hand - your mother will arrive and pronounce loudly - "Bhondu, chalo".

The ensuing sea of giggles will drown out whatever confidence you had earned from that last winning free-kick

3) A nickname must refer in some way to a suitably embarassing incident in your childhood that you would give your arm and leg to forget. If it took you a little too long to shed your baby fat, then years of gymming will not rid you of the nomenclature - Motka. If your face turned crimson when you cried as a toddler, you will be called Laltu. When you turn 40, your friends' children will call you Laltu Uncle. Even age will not earn you the right to be taken seriouslythereafter.

4) Different members of the family will make up different nicknames - each more embaressing than the preceding one. If one member of the family calls you Piklu, then another will call you Mitul, and another will call you Jumbo..The humiliation multiplies.

5) You will always be introduced by your nickname until people forget you had a real name. Ranajoy might have taken on a gang of armed mensingle-handedly, but Toton really didn't have a chance. After a point Toton will completely take over the beaten body of Ranajoy, weighed down by the pressure of a thousand taunts.

This strategy is surprisingly effective. Ask yourself - would you take Professor Rintu seriously? Or put much weight by the opinion of Dr. Bubai? Or march into battle under the command of General Thobla?

The power of the nickname has scarred the psyche of Bengali men everywhere. It follows them like a monkey on their backs. That too, a monkey with a flair for slapstick, that was gifted to them by their ownmothers.

That, dear readers, is step 1 of their grand plan. I must leave now before they realise I am telling you all this. Step 2 of the plan shall be
revealed in the next post. Now let me make my escape. But wait!
There's no way we can let you go now - you've seen too much. Not before you answer the question... "Tomar daaknaam ki, khoka?"

The crowd waits with bated breath in anticipation of the great warrior being hoisted by his own petard. They lick their chops hungrily. But tonight is not their night. He stands tall and straight and a smug smile plays on his lips. From his lips come the words -"Mazhi aai Bangali nahee"

(my mother is not a Bengali) .

And he survives to fight another day...
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bengali Nicknames

You are a bong.... I never knew that.... DollyG is married to a bong most probably.... not sure if she is one.... lemme remember my bong friends' nickname... maamun, baapun, rumpi, jhumpi, bulla, bosky etc...
you know the panch makar of bengalis... matsya, madira, mudra,maithun and one more I can't remember...
BTW...tomaar baadi kothay???

Old June 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute

Bulbul : one of the most often used to address wife.

Note to Motowner: place a link to the source (The India tree, which is not 'some' forum) and IndiaMike for the benefit of others.

Last edited by Ravi; June 28th, 2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Senior eCharchan

ramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
You are a bong.... I never knew that.... DollyG is married to a bong most probably.... not sure if she is one.... lemme remember my bong friends' nickname... maamun, baapun, rumpi, jhumpi, bulla, bosky etc...
you know the panch makar of bengalis... matsya, madira, mudra,maithun and one more I can't remember...
I know only about Hast Maithun ( A pre historic art of deriving eternal pleasure ) , if u r talking abt it
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill Muhammad Ali
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

pimpim, bulbuli, mummai, shumon, babai
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

ramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond reputeramrajya has a reputation beyond repute

Is Isabogol also a bengali nickname ...just j/k
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill Muhammad Ali
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Senior eCharchan

motowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond reputemotowner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes I am but grew up outside... will pm you the reply to your question!
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
Bulbul : one of the most often used to address wife.

Note to Motowner: place a link to the source (The India tree, which is not 'some' forum) and IndiaMike for the benefit of others.
Don't have the link dude.. if you do, please post here.. thanks!
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Super eCharchan

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
dont bulla mean dick in hyderabadi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari View Post
pimpim, bulbuli, mummai, shumon, babai
mummai = mammey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrajya View Post
Is Isabogol also a bengali nickname ...just j/k
isabgol is psylium husk... for getting rid of constipation...
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
The DeeMan Inside.

DeeMan has a reputation beyond reputeDeeMan has a reputation beyond reputeDeeMan has a reputation beyond reputeDeeMan has a reputation beyond reputeDeeMan has a reputation beyond reputeDeeMan has a reputation beyond reputeDeeMan has a reputation beyond reputeDeeMan has a reputation beyond reputeDeeMan has a reputation beyond reputeDeeMan has a reputation beyond reputeDeeMan has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you mentioned it...couple of bong nick names of my friends....they are real nick names..

Indrajeet - Tabu
Indranil - Tota
Debyani - Butai
Samudranil - Tublu
two of my friends sisters I forget their real names they were called - Tumpa, Sumpa
Dolan
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
mandir....
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post
mandir....

its maans most probably...

Maans, Matsya, Madya(madira), Mudra and Maithun....

Old July 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

its maans most probably...

Maans, Matsya, Madya(madira), Mudra and Maithun....
Not all Bongs eat Maans...but almost every Bong eats Matsya
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post
Not all Bongs eat Maans...but almost every Bong eats Matsya

AFAIK, only the bong vaishnavs dont eat maans.. but they also dont eat matsya..
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Junior eCharchan

chicha420 has a brilliant futurechicha420 has a brilliant futurechicha420 has a brilliant futurechicha420 has a brilliant futurechicha420 has a brilliant futurechicha420 has a brilliant futurechicha420 has a brilliant futurechicha420 has a brilliant futurechicha420 has a brilliant futurechicha420 has a brilliant futurechicha420 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrajya View Post
I know only about Hast Maithun ( A pre historic art of deriving eternal pleasure ) , if u r talking abt it
The funniest threads in echarcha was on Hasth Maithun...hilarious!!! It's a Must Read if you haven't!!