eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old May 11th, 2007, 01:01 AM
eCharchan

Binxx is a jewel in the roughBinxx is a jewel in the roughBinxx is a jewel in the rough
Tambda Rassa, Pandhara Rassa & Suka Mutton

Everytime I go to Kolhapur this is usually one of my first meals..

Lately I noticed the trend has been a few houses convert themselves to hotels for the evening, serve fixed # of thalis and close shop when food finishes.

Thalis consist of above and also keema + unlimited # of chappaties (rotis) and then rice

Anyone know the recipes for the the 2 rassas and the suka (dry) mutton

Also, has anyone tried this before?
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Senior eCharchan

love_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud of
Re: Tambda Rassa, Pandhara Rassa & Suka Mutton

I heard this Tambda/Pandhara Rassa for the first time...Tambda Rassa seems to be using all typical Kolhapuri spices...but Pandhara is hard to guess...does it really look white in color and has coconut as main base? These curries contain only goat meat or they are chicken based too? I tried to google but didnot find really authentic type Rassa recipes. Give some more details about taste and difference between these two types...I will try to find more details...try myself and then post these recipes.As far as sukka mutton it is not much difficult...I will post recipe soon.

The trend of small food stalls is grown all over India...I noticed in Bombay and also in remote village of Kerala....mostly they serve very limited types of speciality food and Non-Veg items...and they taste amazing.
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:15 AM
eCharchan

Binxx is a jewel in the roughBinxx is a jewel in the roughBinxx is a jewel in the rough

Tambda as in name is dark red in colour, it is normally very hot. You guessed right about the phandra rassa, it is coconut based and white, if I'm not mistaken it uses chicken stock too?

These are not exactly curries, there are more like soups. Staple diet in many villages in that part is the tambda rassa and rice.

I too tried to google these things up with not much luck.

Has no one else here heard about these?

Last edited by Binxx; May 13th, 2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

love_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binxx
Tambda as in name is dark red in colour, it is normally very hot. You guessed right about the phandra rassa, it is coconut based and white, if I'm not mistaken it uses chicken stock too?

These are not exactly curries, there are more like soups. Staple diet in many villages in that part is the tambda rassa and rice.

I too tried to google these things up with not much luck.

Has no one else here heard about these?
Binx.....here is one Find....check this...scroll little down..page has "Tambda Rassa recipe".

If you go further towards Belgaum...chicken and mutton curries are made in similar fashion...they look sharp red with use of excellent quality local dry chillies..they are spicy , hot and they have consistancy like soup.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:27 PM
eCharchan

Excellent.

Thank You
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_to_surf
Binx.....here is one Find....check this...scroll little down..page has "Tambda Rassa recipe".

If you go further towards Belgaum...chicken and mutton curries are made in similar fashion...they look sharp red with use of excellent quality local dry chillies..they are spicy , hot and they have consistancy like soup.

Thanks for the link.....Liked it. Will try some of them when "I'll get time".
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal
Thanks for the link.....Liked it. Will try some of them when "I'll get time".
Amthaji.....Do you still have subscription for Sanjeev Kapoor's website?...if so then he too have this recipe...see if it is more authentic one. I will post my version after I try it...need to make one or two calls to friends from that region.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Amthaji.....Do you still have subscription for Sanjeev Kapoor's website?....

Nope! I don't.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

do all kolhapuri non-veg dishes have coconut in them?....coconut in non-veg doesnt agree with us....

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg
do all kolhapuri non-veg dishes have coconut in them?....coconut in non-veg doesnt agree with us....
No...coconut is not must for all dishes....In Kerala,Goa,Mangalore non-veg dishes do have lots of coconut...Dolly you must try a Non-veg dish with fresh coconut in combination with regional spices.

Since I heard this Tambada Rassa...I am tempted to cook something similar to it....Today I was to make fish curry for dinner and I wanted to get TAMBADA EFFECT on curry...from color appearance and Taste level....some imagination here and there and at last "Extra-Red-Extra-Hot-Extra-Tasty" fish curry was made...got all 5 star from husband...I am yet to eat. I will post recipe for fish lovers.
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

Quote:

Since I heard this Tambada Rassa...I am tempted to cook something similar to it....Today I was to make fish curry for dinner and I wanted to get TAMBADA EFFECT on curry...from color appearance and Taste level....some imagination here and there and at last "Extra-Red-Extra-Hot-Extra-Tasty" fish curry was made...got all 5 star from husband...I am yet to eat. I will post recipe for fish lovers.

Bring it on girl. .....post it.
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I will post recipe for fish lovers.
waiting

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old May 18th, 2007, 12:24 AM
eCharchan

[quote=love_to_surf] Binx.....here is one Find....check this...scroll little down..page has "Tambda Rassa recipe".[quote]

Great website. Wife is preparing the Kolhapuri Mutton tonight, will let you know how it turns out...

Yes I too am looking forward to the Fish recipe

Any luck on the Phandra (white) rassa? It looks very similar to the rassa that is served in Malvan restaurants. I recall frequenting Sindhudurg restaurant in Mumbai. Yummmm
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Junior eCharchan

limesh is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Tambda Rassa, Pandhara Rassa & Suka Mutton

Guys,

Sorry to say but the above discussion does not head anywhere.Not even Uppercurst my top most reference has the authentic info To demistyfy some stuff on Tambada rassa would like to add :

Its bright red in color but not hot -- just like kashmiri chilli -- kolhapur/belgaum region makes "byadgi" chilli which gives this bright color and a different taste but its not hot.

the masala used for hottening it up is called "kolhapuri chatni" (available in many stores nowadays -best is from a friends home) which gives the typical taste etc which has every masala in it including some coconut too and yes the above chilli too ..so what you do is take this
chatni +
ginger garlic +
mixture of fresh and dried coconut +
half bunch if coriander
grind
-- On the side mutton is cooked -- not in pressure cooker -- but in open with ginger garlic about 45 min or so-- separate meat and stock. Whatever u have ground above divide half and half. mix half with mutton and give a boil 10-15 min and second half stock and some more water and boil.

In case of pandhara rassa the stock above is mixed with dry fruits paste (badam/kaju) and a tadka or ground green chillies/pepper/lavang ..make sure u dont add haldi when boiling mutton.

Cheers
Limesh
Old March 6th, 2009, 02:12 AM
eCharchan

Sikandar has a brilliant futureSikandar has a brilliant futureSikandar has a brilliant futureSikandar has a brilliant futureSikandar has a brilliant futureSikandar has a brilliant futureSikandar has a brilliant futureSikandar has a brilliant futureSikandar has a brilliant futureSikandar has a brilliant futureSikandar has a brilliant future

pavan... kolhapuri recipe .. i googled it and found this very good Link :

http://enjoyindianfood.blogspot.com/...hra-rassa.html

Hope it helps... NjoY..........!!!