eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old March 24th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Senior eCharchan

love_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud of
Sukka Zinga (prawns,Shrimp) Fry

I love prawns and lucky to get so many fresh and frozen varieties here. I don't eat much dry fish but Prawns and bombil is my favourite.

This particular recipe is quick and turns very tasty for zinga lovers......

You get good quality dry prawns in Asian market. They come in 5-10 OZ packets. Mostly they are tiny baby prawns.

Ingredients
========

1) One packet of dry prawns ( I used 5 OZ)

2) One medium size onion./ Oil to fry

3) One inch ginger piece.

4) 5 Big cloves of Garlic.

5) 3 Green chillies

6) Half bunch of fresh cilantro finely chopped.

7) Tomato ( one big or 2 roma)

Preparation
========

1) Soak prawns in water and thoroughly rinse under water 4-5 times. There is too much salt applied so thorough washing will take away extra salt and also sand.Use some paper towel and take out excess water content.

2) Take thick non-stick pan pour some oil and fry chopped onions for 5-8 minutes.

3) Add grated ginger ,garlic , green chillies. Fry for 2 minutes.

4) Add washed prawns.

5) Add cut tomato and fry for 2 minutes.

6) Add chopped cilantro and fry for two minutes......Dish is done.

Note : you don't need to add salt in this dish. If you wish add one tea-spoon Garam masala.

Enjoy with rice and chapati.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zinga.sukka.jpg.jpg (49.1 KB, 54 views)
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sukka Zinga (prawns,Shrimp) Fry

Wow! nice!!

You know, in Mumbai, you get a similar smaller version of shrimp called "sukat" which is very small. And then slightly bigger called "javla" which looks pretty much like what you have shown.

I appreacite the fact that you take the trouble to post a recipe and then the picture too!! I think our website has some of the most authentic and tried and tested recipes, with photos too!!

Thanks a lot
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Senior eCharchan

love_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud oflove_to_surf has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Wow! nice!!

You know, in Mumbai, you get a similar smaller version of shrimp called "sukat" which is very small. And then slightly bigger called "javla" which looks pretty much like what you have shown.

I appreacite the fact that you take the trouble to post a recipe and then the picture too!! I think our website has some of the most authentic and tried and tested recipes, with photos too!!

Thanks a lot
Saheb...I was trying to remember the same thing but was not sure about exact words and here you said it.....

It is my pleasure to post the recipes...infact thankful to you for giving the opportunity and not to forget those intelligent food lovers on the site....
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:52 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

looks delicious.... can the same be made with fresh prawns too? im not sure we get dry prawns where i live....

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old March 26th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg
looks delicious.... can the same be made with fresh prawns too? im not sure we get dry prawns where i live....

Try Chinese or Korean store. If you have a Japanese store, then you will surely find all kinds of dried fish.

I dont think this will turn out the same with regular fresh prawns. For fresh prawns, I am sure you need slightly different process and recipe. Love_to_Surh, please correct me if I am wrong
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_to_surf
1) Soak prawns in water
For how much time ?

Honestly, I have never tried "Sukat" probably coz. of the smell it generates(I think), and I also wonder if it will be as tasty as fresh prawns. Don't get me wrong, I love prawns & other fish.

L_T_S, The dish looks very attractive; I just wonder whether it will be too dry to mix with rice. It sure looks dry enough to go with a drink on a weekend. Recipe looks simple.

But, guess what ? I want to try this at least once and then decide whether am going to try it again or not. Next payday, am going to the Oriental Store where they sell Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Indian food items and getting a bag of these "sukat" prawns.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg
Dolly ...yes you can try with fresh prawns too but as Saheb says it will sure taste different. You get salad shrimp packets in frozen section of any American grocery shop which are very tiny, you use those instead using regular size fresh prawns. They are mostly precooked but I will say close match size wise.

It will be delicious too when you use bigger size fresh prawns. If you take one pound which are generally 25-30 in count maintain the same proportion of ingredients. 7-8 prawns chop very fine it will enhance the taste. Prawns cooked in any manner always tastes good.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorJR
For how much time ?

Honestly, I have never tried "Sukat" probably coz. of the smell it generates(I think), and I also wonder if it will be as tasty as fresh prawns. Don't get me wrong, I love prawns & other fish.

L_T_S, The dish looks very attractive; I just wonder whether it will be too dry to mix with rice. It sure looks dry enough to go with a drink on a weekend. Recipe looks simple.

But, guess what ? I want to try this at least once and then decide whether am going to try it again or not. Next payday, am going to the Oriental Store where they sell Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Indian food items and getting a bag of these "sukat" prawns.
Termi you must try at least one time and I bet you will love it. You soak it just for 5-10 minutes. Rinsing is more important.

You really cannot compare the dry and fresh prawns ...they both taste delicious but those who love fresh not necessarily like the dry one.

It is dry to mix with rice....generally you need some other curry on menu.But for me I can eat rice with it. It can be good drink appetizer too.... I will post chutney recipe using dry shrimp,raw mango and coconut , it is very tempting like pickles.

So hit the shop pretty soon don't wait for the payday.........
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorJR
Next payday, am going to the Oriental Store .
Q Be?

Kadkaa ho giyaa kyaa? Gore/Kallu ki taraah payday ko hi shopping kar saktaa hai?

Good recipe L_T_S.

PS: Dollyg...Check at Mexican grocery store if you can not find Oriental store.
I am pretty sure, there must be Mexican grocery stores in Bloomington. And Mexicans sell them too. They sells in small packs. I guess they eat as snacks. But make sure they are not seasoned with mexican spices.

BTW....I am still looking for that desi "sardaar kaa dhaabaa" style egg curry recipe.

Reference..http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showth...hlight=chicken
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal
Q Be?

Kadkaa ho giyaa kyaa? Gore/Kallu ki taraah payday ko hi shopping kar saktaa hai?
Nahi be, apun unse bhi forward hai. Payday aane ke teen din pehle hi shopping shuru kar deta hoon. Debit card ko swipe karo aur credit transaction karo. hehe.

Payday pe sabhi Indian, chinese groceries khareedunga (including a 50 lb Jasmine rice bag) do-teen maheene ke liye; janam samjha karo.

Now, don't try to derail the thread anymore. lol
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:11 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_to_surf
Dolly ...yes you can try with fresh prawns too but as Saheb says it will sure taste different. You get salad shrimp packets in frozen section of any American grocery shop which are very tiny, you use those instead using regular size fresh prawns. They are mostly precooked but I will say close match size wise.

It will be delicious too when you use bigger size fresh prawns. If you take one pound which are generally 25-30 in count maintain the same proportion of ingredients. 7-8 prawns chop very fine it will enhance the taste. Prawns cooked in any manner always tastes good.
Can't wait to try this....yumm....I guess I'd get the sukka zinga in some oriental/Mexi store as athmabhai said....will check....

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old March 29th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal
BTW....I am still looking for that desi "sardaar kaa dhaabaa" style egg curry recipe.

Reference..http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showth...hlight=chicken
Amthaji...I do remember that...I will post very soon.