eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old November 13th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
NO new HIndi movie.. so I decided to watch a Tamil movie

The movie rental place did not have any new Hindi movie. I have already seen Salaam Namaste and reviewed it here too.

So with nothing else to watch, I decided to rent some Tamil or Telugu film. I asked the store clerk to suggest a film. He said some new film "Best Friend" is quite good and has A.R. Rehman's music. Also the DVD has English sub titles. So tonight I will watch a Tamil film.

Long ago when I was a bachelor my room-mates, both from Hyderabad, used to wathc Telugu films and explain the story to me. That's how I had seen a movie called "Tholi Prema". Then I had a Madrasi friend who once rented some movie and I dont remember the name. He used to translate it for me. In early 1999, DVD was not very prevalent. We used to have VHS rentals mostly for HIndi and other regional films.

So the title is Best Friend. The hero and heroine? I dont know as I cannot read Tamil on the cover. I could only recognise Rehman's face on the back cover.

I will watch it tonight and if I can follow it via sub titles I will tell you about it tomorrow.
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:25 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NO new HIndi movie.. so I decided to watch a Tamil movie

you might end up liking this movie. here's the reivew:

Ah Aah

S.J.Surya, Nila S J Suryah has followed his own path, this time around too. But giving character to his thoughts and letting them roam is something new. The boyfriend suspects his girl friend, they quarrel and separate, their memories help in reuniting them...that's the story of 'Ah Aah' in short.

S J Suryah is a journalist. Nila leaves behind her wealthy parents and moves into a flat with him. Suryah works day and night to provide a decent standard of living for them. With a view to lessening his burden, Nila decides to open a restaurant in partnership with her friend's brother. Suryah is reminded of his friend, whose wife betrays her husband in a similar situation. He refuses to give Nila his consent to this venture and they have a war of words. Finally, he accedes to her request to set up the restaurant, but his suspicions remain unchanged as he watches Nila behave naturally with her business partner. On one occasion, sauce spills on her shirt. As her partner helps her clean her shirt, Suryah sees that, gets into a rage and has it out in public before everyone. That spells the end of their relationship and they part ways. How the memories of the estranged lovers reunite them, is what the film is about.

S J Suryah is well aware of the pulse of today's youth. The film is liberally sprinkled with double meaning entendres. The dialogues, when the photos are stuck in the album, are too much. The film also has a liberal dose of sensuality and glamour. At the same time, one should accept the fact, that he has only portrayed the misunderstandings and instances of today's life. "All this talk about friendship, finally ends in that," he says many times and that is after all, a reality situation!

S J Suryah has created a suitable character for himself. He has really enjoyed the part where he appeases his girl when she gets angry at his not attending her birthday party, and later when he chases away her memories. The whole theatre resounded with applause when he gives vent to his anger on seeing his girlfriend's partner removing the spilt sauce from her shirt.

S.J.Surya, Nila Nila is a Simran look alike with a bright future ahead of her. She looks at ease in sensual scenes. Nila discusses restaurant matters matter-of-fact on the phone with her business partner. But when Suryah arrives with his suspicious looks, Nila pretends to be talking to her friend, cuts the line and redials. Suryah persists in grilling her with questions and as Nila struggles to keep her responses coming, both Suryah and Nila have acted with great credibility. In the sauce spilling scene, Nila is visibly distressed when the doubting Suryah flings accusations at her in public and the audience sympathises with her plight, so good is her acting.

Santhanam's comedy is so-so. Villain Santhanabarathi, psychologist Urvashi, Sinduri, Pandu, Mayilsami and others appear for a few scenes. The scenes have been conceived by Suryah. Dialogues, especially Nila's, reminds one of the film 'Kushi.' For the audience to realize that the blue clad are memories, takes some time. Though the songs have been filmed well, most of the songs look the same and that makes it a little boring.

Vali's lyrics 'mayiliragay' has been set to beautiful melody by A R Rehman. This song became very popular even before the film release, but the picturisation is not satisfactory.

Venu's cinematography is fabulous. Anthony's editing and Anand Sai's art direction are OK.

'Ah... Aah...' - for the youth is 'Ah!'

Pros:
Suryah,
Nila,
Cinematography,
A R Rehman

Cons:
Too many double meaning entendres,
Similarity in song picturisations

http://www.cinesouth.com/scopes/reviews/new/ahaah.shtml

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
The movie rental place did not have any new Hindi movie. I have already seen Salaam Namaste and reviewed it here too.

So with nothing else to watch, I decided to rent some Tamil or Telugu film. I asked the store clerk to suggest a film. He said some new film "Best Friend" is quite good and has A.R. Rehman's music. Also the DVD has English sub titles. So tonight I will watch a Tamil film.

Long ago when I was a bachelor my room-mates, both from Hyderabad, used to wathc Telugu films and explain the story to me. That's how I had seen a movie called "Tholi Prema". Then I had a Madrasi friend who once rented some movie and I dont remember the name. He used to translate it for me. In early 1999, DVD was not very prevalent. We used to have VHS rentals mostly for HIndi and other regional films.

So the title is Best Friend. The hero and heroine? I dont know as I cannot read Tamil on the cover. I could only recognise Rehman's face on the back cover.

I will watch it tonight and if I can follow it via sub titles I will tell you about it tomorrow.

I remember years back I saw a Tamil Movie called "Nayakan".. Some of my Tamil friends helped translate for me.. Some years later it was remade in Hindi too (Dayawan).. Kamal hassan starred in the Tamil Version.. It was inspired by the story of Vardarajan Mudaliar, an Underworld Don In Mumbai.. Kamal's acting was superb.. Do see it if you haven't.. quite a masterpiece..
Old November 14th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished about 3/4th and its a good movie... Tough watching it and reading sub titles too.. but still enojyable. First opening title song was catchy.. "Teri ma??" thats the only phrase I could catch in the movie.. also "Po Po"...
Old November 14th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Banned

Vancouverdesi is on a distinguished road

thanka tamil thirai padankal paakka arambitha echarcha macha... vanakkam.
it is better to be late than never.
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

ramesh,
thanks for the review. I am going to finish it tonight. Since I was following the sub titles I missed out on all the double entendre and some hilarious lines which were not captured in the sub titles. So I used to wonder why the characters were dead panning or laughing at times and guessed something funny was just said.

Well, this is my first attempt at entertainment in a language I cannot understand at all. Lets hope I get to enjoy some more movies in Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu. The opening title track was quite catchy. The rest of the songs I just forwarded as I could not understand anything.
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

I finished it just now. Fast forwarded the songs. The tunes were standard A. R. Rehman. Well, the movie ended like all love stories. Liked the concept though. I think its the first time in Indian films that memories are given a role.
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Junior eCharchan

Venky is an unknown quantity at this point

echarcha watch this Hindi movie.You'll like it.

http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showth...960#post289960

Excellent acting by Rajpal Yadav.His expressions are so natural and real right from the beginning to the very end .A very simple and a very beautiful clean movie.One of those must see ones

A friend brought an original cd for it from somewhere , yesterday and we were all laffing and farting all over

http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showth...960#post289960