eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Site related > Feedback

Notices

Feedback Feedback about eCharcha.Com site...

View Poll Results: Should I stop guests from browsing unless they login?
Yes 10 41.67%
No 13 54.17%
Cannot say 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 7th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Question Should I stop guests from browsing?

Of late I have noticed that more guests browse the forum than registered/logged in members. A little IP address digging showed that many members browse as guests.

Should I stop guests from browsing unless they login? (We have a few forums which require you to login and you cannot search the forums without logging in)
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I stop guests from browsing?

I don't think it's a good idea to stop guests from browsing. Let them read, who cares. If we force them to register, they will register and not contribute anyway. Besides, if there are any external links to this site... they might not like it because we force the visitors to register.

A couple of suggestions you could consider:
Restrict access to more forums like Soapbox, Sports, Relationships, etc. Let them read Taaza Khabar though

Also, if you could find a hack or figure out how to code it yourself, bombard Guests with ads and pop-ups And mention on every page that there are no pop-ups for registered members, etc.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila
I don't think it's a good idea to stop guests from browsing. Let them read, who cares. If we force them to register, they will register and not contribute anyway. Besides, if there are any external links to this site... they might not like it because we force the visitors to register.

A couple of suggestions you could consider:
Restrict access to more forums like Soapbox, Sports, Relationships, etc. Let them read Taaza Khabar though

Also, if you could find a hack or figure out how to code it yourself, bombard Guests with ads and pop-ups And mention on every page that there are no pop-ups for registered members, etc.
Hmm.. good ideas.. Will try to put messages for non-registered users.

Right now if you are in a "Awaiting Email Confirmation" state i.e. you have not clicked the link sent out after your register, then you see a message on the top of every page.

I should do the same for guests too.
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Senior eCharchan

Desi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant future

I think Guests should be allowed to browse. A lot of people monitor a forum and figure out if they like it or not before they start participating. I personally did this. I browsed echarcha for almost 6 months before I started posting.
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Banned

proeclectic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi24
I think Guests should be allowed to browse. A lot of people monitor a forum and figure out if they like it or not before they start participating. I personally did this. I browsed echarcha for almost 6 months before I started posting.
I support registration requirement for browsing.
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:07 PM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough

no let guests browse. otherwise you'll find a lot of people registering for one day and then disappearing without posting anything.
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Of late I have noticed that more guests browse the forum than registered/logged in members. A little IP address digging showed that many members browse as guests.

Should I stop guests from browsing unless they login? (We have a few forums which require you to login and you cannot search the forums without logging in)
dude, firstly theres a bug in yo system..sometymes when i enter mah userid & pwd to post a reply, it still says i need to log in and redirects me to the log in screen..

secondly, please dont do such a thing..ajeeb zabardasti hai yaar..
Old July 7th, 2005, 04:10 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakil sahib
no let guests browse. otherwise you'll find a lot of people registering for one day and then disappearing without posting anything.
Vakil Sahib ... they do that anyway.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old July 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Laal Mirchi on main phorum left hand screen ... why bottom? Raise it up above polls. Have to mouse and mouse and mouse to find bottom ... people are companining of pained finger
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old July 7th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Let guests browse...will be good for site...
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi
Laal Mirchi on main phorum left hand screen ... why bottom? Raise it up above polls. Have to mouse and mouse and mouse to find bottom ... people are companining of pained finger
Kiski ungli mein kya ho rah hain??

Okay will move it above polls
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Should I stop guests from browsing?

I am all in favour of letting guests browse. Those who find the site to their taste can register & start in depth browsing & posting.

By making registering mandatory to view a thread, members won't be able to send links to friends & share topics with them. The option of "Email this page" would be rendered useless.
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

i think we should let guests read the posts without logging in. that way we will not drive away future members. let them start as members once they like the forum.

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Bhai Bolela hai

rationalthinker has a reputation beyond reputerationalthinker has a reputation beyond reputerationalthinker has a reputation beyond reputerationalthinker has a reputation beyond reputerationalthinker has a reputation beyond reputerationalthinker has a reputation beyond reputerationalthinker has a reputation beyond reputerationalthinker has a reputation beyond reputerationalthinker has a reputation beyond reputerationalthinker has a reputation beyond reputerationalthinker has a reputation beyond repute

People 'pay' to attract viewers to their sites.
Why do you want to keep curious viewers away?
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute

Whats wrong if guests browse?? Let them do that. I happen to know 2/3 people who have done that anyways.. They made ids for themselves to view the lal mirchi forum and haven't logged in since..!! So you can't stop people from doing that anyways. Let people view restricted forums.