eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old June 13th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Marathi Potato Sukhi Bhaji

I know there are a lot of marathis on board. Maybe someone can help me. I am an absolute fan of the batata bhaji which only has turmeric in it, have had it at a lot of marathi friends' place.

But everytime I try to make it, it does not come out the way I want it to. It had flat pieces of potatoes. Maybe hing and rai...

Netra? Please?!
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old June 13th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
try jeera and lengthwise slit green chillies(small ones) alongwith turmeric and salt.

hint: try using semi-boiled/baked potates. saves time on the kadhai....potaotes do not get burned too!!

PS: don't cringe with the oil. be liberal.
but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Old June 13th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks, Arya bhai
A Proud Indian American
Old June 13th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
SG, Time to go home. Will give the recipe tomorrow.

Bye

Netra
Old June 13th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Senior Echarchan

Will do, Netra. Good evening!
A Proud Indian American
Old June 14th, 2001, 02:37 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
SG, I make two types of Batata Bhaji. One is the type you eat in Restaurants with Puris and the recipe is given in the following URL. However when I make it, I don't add ginger

http://www.mumbai-masala.com/maharas...atabhaaji.html

The other one is the talasleli bhaji meaning the stir-fried one. For this you need to use a lot of oil.

Chop potatoes into small flat triangular pieces.

Heat oil in a non-stick pan and give tadka of rai and hing. Add the potatoes, turmeric, red chilli powder and salt. If you want the potatoes to be crisp, use a wider pan and stir fry on high heat. If you want want the softer version, cook on low heat. Do not cover or add water.

Maybe Shiv Sainik has a different recipe and I would love to have it.
Old June 14th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Senior eCharchan

risingsun has a spectacular aura aboutrisingsun has a spectacular aura aboutrisingsun has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
SG, I make two types of Batata Bhaji. One is the type you eat in Restaurants with Puris and the recipe is given in the following URL. However when I make it, I don't add ginger

http://www.mumbai-masala.com/maharas...atabhaaji.html

This link does not work.
Old June 14th, 2001, 04:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

It works fine from my side. Anyway here it is

Batata (Potato) bhaaji

Ingredients
1/2 kg boiled potatoes,
1 small piece ginger(optional) ,
4-5 nos. green chilies,
coriander leaves,
7-8 nos. curry leaves,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
salt and sugar as per the taste,
some oil

Method

1. Peel and cut the potatoes into small pieces. Rub some salt & sugar to them.

3. Grind ginger, chop green chilies & coriander leaves.

4. Then take some of oil in a kadai or a pan. Add mustard seeds. As soon as they start to crackle, add asafoetida, turmeric powder & curry leaves.

5. Now add green chilies, ground ginger & potatoes. Mix well & cover.

6. Remove lid & stir the bhaaji and again cover for 5 minutes.

7. Garnish with coriander leaves.

Tip: Excellent when served with puris.
Variation: 1 tsp udad dal or cumin seeds can be added along with the mustard seeds.
Old June 14th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

risingsun has a spectacular aura aboutrisingsun has a spectacular aura aboutrisingsun has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
It works fine from my side. Anyway here it is

Batata (Potato) bhaaji

Ingredients
1/2 kg boiled potatoes,
1 small piece ginger(optional) ,
4-5 nos. green chilies,
coriander leaves,
7-8 nos. curry leaves,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
salt and sugar as per the taste,
some oil

Method

1. Peel and cut the potatoes into small pieces. Rub some salt & sugar to them.

3. Grind ginger, chop green chilies & coriander leaves.

4. Then take some of oil in a kadai or a pan. Add mustard seeds. As soon as they start to crackle, add asafoetida, turmeric powder & curry leaves.

5. Now add green chilies, ground ginger & potatoes. Mix well & cover.

6. Remove lid & stir the bhaaji and again cover for 5 minutes.

7. Garnish with coriander leaves.

Tip: Excellent when served with puris.
Variation: 1 tsp udad dal or cumin seeds can be added along with the mustard seeds.
sugar in bhaji? SUGAR IN BHAJI? un believable. i do not have much experiance in kitchen, personally i have never liked adding to opposite flavours together. Sugar in a bhaji which has chillies in it? or is their any specific reason behind this, i mean like sugar helps fast cooking etc, something like this?
Old June 14th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Actually even I don't add sugar (I missed seeing it) but a lot of Maharashtrians do, just a teeny-weeny bit for the taste. The only bhajis I add a bit of sugar or jaggery to are the usals .
Old June 14th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Actually even I don't add sugar (I missed seeing it) but a lot of Maharashtrians do, just a teeny-weeny bit for the taste. The only bhajis I add a bit of sugar or jaggery to are the usals .
I dont expect usals to be as tikhat as bhajis. i know, my mom too adds some sugar in usal.

ye fundaich kuchh samajh mein nahi aaya, tikhat bhaji mein sakhar kyon? tikhat goad chav kashi aste? i cannot even imagine it....
Old June 14th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Senior eCharchan

No tikhat god chav. Like I said just a little bit. Say 1/2 tsp. for 1 kg potatoes. My maternal aunt even adds a little sugar to the dry lasun chutney.
Old June 14th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Senior eCharchan

I forgot to add that this sugar for taste is called "Godan".
Old June 14th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

have heard about godan but not tasted it. i used to think it falls more into the area of sweet with a bit of sour like you know chirwant, or some maharashtrians call it chirote.

for now going for lunch.
Old June 14th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Senior Echarchan

Thanks, Netra di.

Much appreciated.

BTW, gujjus do add sugar to some types of bateta ni sukhi bhaji.
A Proud Indian American