eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Music

Notices

Music Your tune...

Old February 8th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Does North Indians have a taste for south indian Music ?

bhai log..guusa naheen karney ka

I have observed that most of the music from movies remade from south get bombbed in north. I have hell lot of examples..the most recent one is Saathiya. The same numbers are chart busters in south ..and i find it very difficult to see them go down when it goes to bollywood.

Many times in the discussions here i found a little "keep away" kind of attitude towards south music ,from north indian bhais(including people from Mumbai). Why is it so ? Is south music that bad for Northies to appreciate ? Or Does it sound very complicated to listen and sing a southern number ? Because of language barrier ?We southies apreciate a lot of Bollywood/Hindi music even though many doesnt understand hindi. But i dont see the reverse happening. I may be wrong in my observations..but this is my impression. PLease do share your feelings/opinions, but dont bash me saying i am a Madrasi / reginalist /blah ..blah
Old February 8th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute
here i will b discussing the re-make/translation of southy songs to hindi onez...

blame the music directors...the way they translate a regional southy songs into hindi...itz pathetic

abhi haaal hi ke dino mein i heard a song..i dunno from which movie....that rubber-band prabhu deva was dancing n the song was titled 'mansooba-mansooba' ...i wonder whether this urdu/hindi word has ever been used in bollywood songs (leave ghazals)before n me being a northy found it bit 'out of track'

in the same way..these people go on translating the songs to hindi without even keeping a track on whether they r making any sense...ab yaar music acchi hain to kya...lyrics shud make sense, isnt it?
Old March 29th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Junior eCharchan

cutegirl is on a distinguished road
Are u joking?

North Indians Would never select South Indians Music as their first priority.

If they U can have people of such kinds in a countable number.
Old March 29th, 2003, 08:05 AM
loin.....loin cloth

laal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to behold
Re: Does North Indians have a taste for south indian Music ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Indian
dont bash me saying i am a Madrasi
Raha to phir Madraasi hi na??
Old March 29th, 2003, 10:16 AM
xXx

desin01 is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Does North Indians have a taste for south indian Music ?

Quote:
Originally posted by laal_langot
Raha to phir Madraasi hi na??
Aur to to raha chor bihari ??
Old March 29th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Indian Pai... baday dino kay baad?? *pappi/jhappi*

I dunno about South Indian music, but the music produced by Rehman and Illaiyaraja is probably the best in India. The reason why not many of those songs are popular are Hindi is because of the weird-ass lyrics that they get in Hindi. Check this one out for instance from the movie Hindustani:

"Digit meiN sur hai tarashaa,
Madonna hai ya natasha,
Zakir hussain tabla,
tu hai kya?

telephone dhun meiN hasnay waali,
Melbourne machhli machalnay waali"

Old March 29th, 2003, 10:39 AM
loin.....loin cloth

laal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to beholdlaal_langot is a splendid one to behold
Main aaaaaaato waala aaaato waala aaato waala....seedhi raah pe chalne waala...sahi rate lene waala....
Old March 29th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Junior eCharchan

Satyam is a glorious beacon of lightSatyam is a glorious beacon of lightSatyam is a glorious beacon of lightSatyam is a glorious beacon of lightSatyam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Does North Indians have a taste for south indian Music ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Indian
bhai log..guusa naheen karney ka

I have observed that most of the music from movies remade from south get bombbed in north. I have hell lot of examples..the most recent one is Saathiya. The same numbers are chart busters in south ..and i find it very difficult to see them go down when it goes to bollywood.

South Indian Traditional Music is more refined and cultural in the sense that since ancient days most of the classical music was devotional in variety. So even in today's music that touch is still there. It sounds a bit different and you need good ears and heart to tune to it( I am not talking about the filmi variety, mind you). Not to say that North Indian music doesnt sound good, but most of North Indian music excluding the classical music has entertainment variety like Ghazals and Sugam Sangeet. Even the devotional Hindi music doesnt have that depth until and unless someone like Pandit Bhimsen Joshi is singing.

Now for the second part that talks of translation of South Indian songs in Hindi, I agree the translation is poor. Also as a direct corrollary of the above paragraph the song when translated and composed still has a South Indian touch which doesnt click so easily with North Indian listeners obviously.

This can be understood very clearly by a South Indian who can easily catch both the South Indian and North Indian Music, and almost impossible the other way round.

Last edited by Satyam; March 29th, 2003 at 04:09 PM.
Old March 29th, 2003, 04:11 PM
in Bartania

smartganduinuk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G
"Digit meiN sur hai tarashaa,
Madonna hai ya natasha,
Zakir hussain tabla,
tu hai kya?

telephone dhun meiN hasnay waali,
Melbourne machhli machalnay waali"
Surely they dont make any sense and hence they bombed. But I have listened to the southie version and it was fantastic - although i didnt understand the language - it was translated by swaminathan - my colleague. but couple of months later when i heard the hindi version - i thought what crap is this....

the bilingualist must do a thorough job for us to enjoy them

melbourne machali kya karegee ab...
Old March 29th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Senior eCharchan

Zen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to all
As far as beautiful devotional music is concerned - I am into punjabi/sufi so listening to madrasi idalee-wadaa is out of question!

Lyrics are very important to me. South Indian compositions may be good but why would I listen to something sung in alien words I don't know and don't care to know the meaning of!

A.R. Rahman is a genius, unbelievable composer!!

I have heard a lot about how good Illyaraja is but his simple tune "roop suhana lagta hai" is composed using just 3 keys on the harmonium -

"too tu-tu-tu tee tee tee ... too tu-tu-tu tee tee tee"

so he did not impress me much! What are his cool songs in hindi - if any?

Last edited by Zen; March 29th, 2003 at 05:20 PM.