eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old June 11th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Indian mythology

I am not aware of any other similar event.
Krantibhai or Peacebhai maybe able to help you or wait for Chitrala to come back
Quote:
Originally Posted by shruthi_ks View Post
Wait. Was this concept there in other contexts of same or another Indian mythology? Because I think I learnt about this in the context of some king going to heaven to participate in a war. Can you throw light on this as well?
Old June 11th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

shruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wait. Was this concept there in other contexts of same or another Indian mythology? Because I think I learnt about this in the context of some king going to heaven to participate in a war. Can you throw light on this as well?
Quote:
And I suppose he makes this discovery due to returning to earth and not because someone apprises him.
jeetiaf,

Can you help me in this?
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the full story
Quote:
Kakudmi (sometimes also called Kakudmin, or Raivata, son of Revata) was the King of Kusasthali, a kingdom beneath the ocean.
Kakudmi's daughter Revati was so beautiful and so accomplished that when she reached a marriageable age, Kakudmi, thinking no one upon earth was worthy of her, went to the Creator himself, Lord Brahma, to seek his advice about a suitable husband for his daughter.
When they arrived, Brahma was listening to a musical performance by the Gandharvas, so they waited patiently until the performance was finished. Then, Kakudmi bowed humbly, made his request and presented his shortlist of candidates. Brahma laughed loudly, and explained that time runs differently on different planes of existence, and that during the short time they had waited in Brahma-loka to see him, 27 catur-yugas (a cycle of four yugas, totalling 108 yugas, or Ages of Man) had passed on earth (see time dilation theory). Brahma said to Kakudmi, "O King, all those whom you may have decided within the core of your heart to accept as your son-in-law have died in the course of time. Twenty-seven catur-yugas have already passed. Those upon whom you may have already decided are now gone, and so are their sons, grandsons and other descendants. You cannot even hear about their names.[2] You must therefore bestow this virgin gem (i.e. Revati) upon some other husband, for you are now alone, and your friends, your ministers, servants, wives, kinsmen, armies, and treasures, have long since been swept away by the hand of time."[3]
King Kakudmi was overcome with astonishment and alarm at hearing this news.[3] However, Brahma comforted him, and added that Vishnu, the Preserver, was currently incarnate on earth in the forms of Krishna and Balarama, and he recommended Balarama as a worthy husband for Revati.
Kakudmi and Revati then returned to earth, which they regarded as having left only just a short while ago. They were shocked by the changes that had taken place. Not only had the landscape and environment changed, but over the intervening 27 catur-yugas, in the cycles of human spiritual and cultural evolution, mankind was at a lower level of development than in their own time (see Ages of Man). The Bhagavata Purana describes that they found the race of men had become "dwindled in stature, reduced in vigour, and enfeebled in intellect."
Daughter and father found Balarama and proposed the marriage, which was accepted. The marriage was then duly celebrated.
Link
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:03 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is a temporary thread. I will ask the moderator to remove it altogether once my queries have been answered.

There is this anecdote in Indian mythology. Someone goes from earth to heaven. On returning to earth he finds that a short period in heaven is a long time on earth. That means if one spends some time in heaven, during the same interval much more time passes on earth.

So what was the context? Who was the protagonist? And what amount of time on earth corresponded to heavenís one day/year in that mythology?
there are lot of such stories in all religions which indicate that the time-velocity is different there and here.

Einstein's explained relativity in simple words as "Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity"

So heaven and earth could be a the state of mind.

Ujjaini kingdom's Vikramaditya is said to be vanshaj of Devraj Indra and travelled to indralok with Betal during his time.

1 day of lord branhma is equal to 4 yugas of earth or something. Rakhi said this in my Yuga thread.
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
there are lot of such stories in all religions which indicate that the time-velocity is different there and here.

Einstein's explained relativity in simple words as "Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity"

So heaven and earth could be a the state of mind.

Ujjaini kingdom's Vikramaditya is said to be vanshaj of Devraj Indra and travelled to indralok with Betal during his time.

1 day of lord branhma is equal to 4 yugas of earth or something. Rakhi said this in my Yuga thread.
Bhoot/Prayt/Vetal/Asur/Rakshas/Pishach/Danav/Daitya etc are not allowed in Swarglok (or Indralok)...unless of course they invade it successfully
Old June 11th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
jeetiaf,

Can you help me in this?

the story is about mata revathi and Balram's marriage. her father wasnt able to find sutiable groom in satyuga so he went to brahmlok with her daughter to find who would be his groom, they stay there for hour and brahma asks them to go back and tells them the go now Dwapar yug is ending and Revati's groom is balram, avatar of shehnaag. but in Dwapar height of human has reduced so balram reduce her height according to him using his plough.

story as told by grandmother when I was young

jeetIAF
Old June 11th, 2011, 08:34 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post
Bhoot/Prayt/Vetal/Asur/Rakshas/Pishach/Danav/Daitya etc are not allowed in Swarglok (or Indralok)...unless of course they invade it successfully
wo to theek hai, lekin why did you not reply to my reply to your reply to my post about sonia-g earning her place
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
wo to theek hai, lekin why did you not reply to my reply to your reply to my post about sonia-g earning her place
where is it?
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

shruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond reputeshruthi_ks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetiaf View Post
the story is about mata revathi and Balram's marriage. her father wasnt able to find sutiable groom in satyuga so he went to brahmlok with her daughter to find who would be his groom, they stay there for hour and brahma asks them to go back and tells them the go now Dwapar yug is ending and Revati's groom is balram, avatar of shehnaag. but in Dwapar height of human has reduced so balram reduce her height according to him using his plough.

story as told by grandmother when I was young

jeetIAF
I don't get the practice of Sikhism. My Punjabi friend says even Sikhs go and worship in Hindu temples. You say your grandmother narrated you Hindu mythological stories. Aren't Sikhs distinct from Hindus?
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:05 AM
In search of peace!

Quote:
where is it?
here
mts mts
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you are confusing the story of Rip Van Winkle

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari View Post
"usually mythical : existing only in the imagination :" extracted from your link.

an in some cases, the reality is so great that you can only imagine it, since there is no way you can experience it.

Old June 16th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't get the practice of Sikhism. My Punjabi friend says even Sikhs go and worship in Hindu temples. You say your grandmother narrated you Hindu mythological stories. Aren't Sikhs distinct from Hindus?
as far I am concerned, Sikhs are a brave Hindu select folks who took this direction to protect Indian borders from the muslim barbarians.

Old June 16th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat View Post
as far I am concerned, Sikhs are a brave Hindu select folks who took this direction to protect Indian borders from the muslim barbarians
Rather, they (by far Sikhs were lower caste Hindu folks & converted Muslim folks) were forced to take this direction due to Mughal atrocities. If Mughals had not committed atrocities on them, they would not have taken up arms...they would be as gentle (and self-effacing) as Guru Nanak
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Senior eCharchan

GameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rather, they (by far Sikhs were lower caste Hindu folks & converted Muslim folks)
the remaining i.e. non hindus/converted muslims were jews and druses who converted because the women were pretty...