eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old April 19th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Movie review 2 states

Cast
Cast : Alia Bhatt, Arjun Kapoor, Amrita Singh, Revathy, Shiv Subramaniam, Ronit Roy

Director
Abhishek Verman

Plot
Krish Malhotra (Arjun Kapoor), who is a Punjabi, narrates the story of how he fell in love with Tamilian Ananya Swaminathan (Alia Bhatt). The first day of IIM-A and Krish lost his heart to her. Through friendship and more, the two fall in love with each other and decide to settle down. There begins the problem.

The fun actually starts when they are introduced to each other's parents. As you must have seen in the promos, the Tamilian parents feel that the Punjabis are too loud and uncultured and the Punjabis don't like them for a lot of other reasons. Though I may agree with a lot of things, I am yet to meet a Punjabi parent who will use insensitive language to someone's face and say things like, "Tamilians gore bhi to nahi hote hain!"
Krish is a reserved chap and there is a justification to his reserved nature, he has seen enough domestic violence in his own house between his father Vikram Malhotra (Ronit Roy) and his mother Kavita Malhotra (Amrita Singh). Both Ananya and Krish want to marry each other but seek the blessings from their parents who are never on the same page.
The problem is that the movie is too long and moves at a very slow pace. Long conversations make it even more boring.
Here's what I enjoyed in Abhishek Varman's 2 States. Alia Bhatt came across as a total natural even though she was out of her comfort zone and playing a Tamilian for the first time. She was the most convincing in the film. Both the mothers, Amrita Singh and Revathy added all the fun that there is in Two States. Arjun Kapoor sleep walked through the scenes and was just not able to hold the film on his shoulders as one would expect from the lead actor of the film. Music by Shankar Ehsaan Loy was good and that helped pick up the pace each time the film dragged.
Two States is a well-packaged product with great posters and promos but the film is disappointing.

Old April 19th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie review 2 states

I was planning to review this movie. You beat me to it.

Old April 20th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Super eCharchan

Soorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond repute

Very Well made ..4.5 out of 5 ..Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor were awesome..however, it is Amirta Singh and Revathay who were the surprise package and really kept you engaged ..Paisavasool!!!!!
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:01 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I read the novel.. was good entertaining stuff. Will watch the movie although I do not like both the actors one bit.. bhalu Kapoor and bacchi Bhatt ..
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:22 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't this a remake It will be a utter flop. Do they really think a sardar guy will be better than a madrasi Kamalahassan

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:26 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

speaking of 2 states, the author Chetan Bhagat posted a selfie with NaMo after he attended his rally in Mumbai.

Quote:
@chentan_bhagat Met #namo. You know a leader has the youth pulse when he can discuss job creation and is still up for a selfie!
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:57 AM
Junior eCharchan

songspk is on a distinguished road

Alia Bhatt is good actor thanks for review
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:35 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a faking news on how political parties would remake this one

BJP: The story remains exactly the same. In the last scene all characters thank Modi for the infrastructure of Ahmedabad which contributed to them falling in love & marrying each other. BJP claims helping young couples to get together in top colleges is part of Modi’s “Gujarat model of development”. ‘The End’ is replaced by ‘Abki baar…’.
2) Congress: The boy is Hindu Punjabi and Girl is Tamil Muslim. The first half wherein they fall in love remains same. Then the opposition of the families turns violent wherein rioters from Punjab and Tamil Nadu join in and create havoc in Ahmedabad. Lots of people die, hence proved Modi is a divisive & fascist leader. Sanjay Jha and Manish Tewari scream their lungs out on Newshour. Teesta Setalvad gets the girl’s mother to contest elections from Ahmedabad on a Congress ticket empowered by Rahul Gandhi.
3) Aam Aadmi Party: The boy and girl fall in love. They waste so much time in romance and drama that they actually forget to study. Consequently, they don’t score well and remain unemployed after graduation. They protest outside IIM-A and Kejriwal joins them. He calls IIM-A an Adani agent and points at the unemployment of the couple to show the Gujarat growth model as a failure. He assures 7.00% free marks to all students whose score is below 40%. He is made dean of IIM A, but quits in 49 days because there is another love story in BHU Varanasi that gains his attention.
4) Samajwadi Party:The boy and girl fall in love and have premarital sex. Azam Khan & Abu Azmi issue statements that the couple must be killed for this blasphemy. The parents oblige. End of Story.

More in
Success of “2 States” prompts political parties to create their own version of the movie
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

My review of the review. Nicely written......
Quote:
Story:
Krish Malhotra (Arjun Kapoor) and Ananya Swaminathan (Alia Bhatt) meet in IIM Ahmedabad campus and instantly connect. He’s a clean cut Punjabi munda. She’s a chulbuli Tamil Brahman who likes chicken tikka and beer. They bump into each other at the IIM Ahmedabad canteen where Ananya is fighting with the cook because she feels the sambar is not up to the mark and she wants one extra rasgulla which is not allowed. Standing right behind her is Krish, who tells the cook to give his share of the sweet to her. The usual college friendship leads to more intimate relationship. They discover love and decide to get married. They don’t want to elope but want to get married with their parents’ blessings and that’s where things get complicated.

Love marriages around the world are simple:
Boy loves girl. Girl loves boy. They get married.

In India, there are a few more steps:
Boy loves Girl. Girl loves Boy.
Girl's family has to love boy. Boy's family has to love girl.
Girl's Family has to love Boy's Family. Boy's family has to love girl's family.
Girl and Boy still love each other. They get married.

The Tamilian parents (Revathy and Shiv Kumar Subramaniam as Ananya’s parents) feel that the Punjabis (Amrita Singh and Ronit Roy as Arjun Kapoor's parents) are too loud and uncultured and the Punjabis don't like them for a lot of other reasons.

How Krish and Ananya go about getting their parents to agree to their marriage, forms the crux of the story.

Comments:
This film is based on Chetan Bhagat’s book “2 States – The Story of My Marriage”, which in turn is based on his real life. According to Chetan, this story tells the particulars about how he met his wife. I don’t know how much the story is dramatized and how much is it real. I can only say that this movie is a true copy of the book. Unlike 3 Idiots (Five Point Someone book) and Kai Po Che (3 Mistakes Of My Life book), this movie does not divert from the original story in the book. Scene by scene, it shows events how it was mentioned in the book.

However, just like book, this film lacks depth. When I had read this book, and other books from Chetan Bhagat, I got the feeling that his knowledge about relationships is very shallow or maybe because he is a new (amateur) writer, he is not able to narrate a story effectively. Even though his topics are interesting and from our day to day life, his story telling lacks the power to keep you engrossed. It is very bland and straight forward. Like this book/film had so much scope of being an interesting, funny story. But it looked like an autobiography and did not have much entertainment factor. I agree that Chetan claims it to be his autobiography but while writing the story, he could have added more life into it. This is not a negative comment about director or actors as all of them stuck to the original feel and flow of the story in the book. This is about Chetan Bhagat who writes very plain stories. This is my opinion and maybe everyone may not agree.

Alia Bhatt has done superb acting. This is her third movie and she looks like a veteran actress already. In ‘Student Of The Year’, she acted like a bimbo, as per the demand of the role. But in ‘Highway’, she showed her excellent acting talents and in this movie, she proved that ‘Highway’ was not a fluke. And she looked soooooo beautiful. Except few intimate scenes with Arjun, she was fully covered in suits and occasionally sarees, throughout the movie. She looked gorgeous. You don’t have to resort to Sunny Leone techniques (read my review of Ragini MMS 2) to grab attention. You can look attractive, hot, sexy and mind boggling beautiful while fully clothed. Don’t believe me? Watch Alia in this movie. I’m already looking forward to her next movie ‘Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania’.

Arjun Kapoor looked too mature as compared to Alia, especially with stubble throughout the movie. He was also looking paka hua in whole movie. While Alia was all bubbly and lively in the movie, Arjun looked like a recluse. At a certain point in the movie, Arjun and Alia separate for some period and he becomes totally Devdas. When he meets Alia, she says, looking at his face, “Ye kya haalat bana rakhi hai?” And I was thinking, so what’s wrong with him at this moment? He is looking like this since beginning. Or maybe I didn’t notice, but Alia noticed, that his stubble had increased 0.002567mm longer.

Amrita Singh did good acting of a Punjabi mother. Ronit Roy, as a strict father, was very good and he portrayed the character from the book exactly how it was written in the book.

Revathy and Shiv Kumar Subramaniam also acted very well as disciplined south Indian parents.

Songs were good especially Locha-E- Ulfat.

Regarding cinematography, even though this film is not shot in exotic locations, it is very colourful and pleasing to the eyes.

This film is a very good adaption of the book and does not deviate from it. I found the book a bit flat as well as serious and I’ve got same opinion about this movie. Nevertheless, it is a good watchable movie and I’d say to go and watch it for Alia.

Verdict:
Good.
As per my signature .......No Copyright infringement......
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old April 24th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post

And why did you feel this review is by Ashdoc ?
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

ungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Copied....... please provide the link
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:08 AM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungalprasad View Post
Copied....... please provide the link
UngalBhai,FZ par ban hogaye kya aajkal jo link maang rahe ho
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

ungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
UngalBhai,FZ par ban hogaye kya aajkal jo link maang rahe ho
you never know in what form I go there

but anyways, you are indirectly suggesting this review copied from FZ
Old April 25th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungalprasad View Post
you never know in what form I go there

but anyways, you are indirectly suggesting this review copied from FZ
I am making comments on the review.......... this is not my original .........

Now go talk to Joe Bernstein.
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
I am making comments on the review.......... this is not my original .........

Now go talk to Joe Bernstein.
unkil ji, feel free to remove the quotes... the real writer of this review has no objection whatsoever and btw he is not who you think of

itte se kaam ke liye aapne itte paapad bele.... kahan kahan se puchha hoga aur yeh disclaimer lagaya........

khol do quotes bindaas......