eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Crowning Glory

Notices

Crowning Glory A home for our best content ... award winning created by eCharchans!!

Old December 28th, 2015, 10:13 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bajirao mastani---Sanjay Leela bhansali's ambitious venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
After 10 days of their release, Bajirao has overtaken Dilwale in box office collections. This inspite-of the latter running in 600 more screens. Good to see a good movie rake in more moolah than Rohit Shetty's monotonous movies.
now, you liked his Chennai express , didnt you..

Quote:
Watched it today.

It is time-pass movie. Above average.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:26 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
warriors have lower life expectancy. Even the great Shivaji lived to be only about 50 years at death. What a life in 50 years, similar with Bajirao, achieved so much in very few years.

Its very sad that this history is never taught in our schools, except Shivaji I don't recall reading much about Maratha history. Mughal history though is all over the textbooks. You know where I am going with this. So now when Right wing govt introduces this in textbooks, sobs will return awards and say RSS ruling India with BJP as a proxy front. Here's one Marxist twister of history .. link

Alexander lived only 32 years or so and reportedly died of malaria. Other version is that his generals got tired and poisoned him.

Other than warriors, Adi Shankaracharya and Swami Vivekanand also died early.

I do remember us being taught pro soviet stuff in class 10 and one line mention somewhere of How India became non aligned by opposing USSR action in Czechoslovakia. I wrote at length on Vietnam war in the class X paper, blaming Umrika and got reasonably good marks in History (47/60)

Now, the main problem i see in fixing this left wing version of History is that current generation on RSS guys are too obsessed by Dinanath Batra and PN Oak. We will keep seeing stuff on how Ancient India had cure for HIV and had Wi-Fi, artificial satellites, nuclear power and so on. The older 'Hindu Nationalists' like Lala Lajpat Rai, Tilak and co had a more holistic vision.
Old December 28th, 2015, 11:41 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Batra has any influence on BJP, even if RSS endorses its unlikely any sane man can publicly defend all his archaic views.
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:35 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
now, you liked his Chennai express , didnt you..
Expected you to bring that up..
Chennai express was watchable, yes. But it was Rohit Shetty's monotonous style nonetheless. I didn't like his golmal series. Singham series too.
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Expected you to bring that up..
Chennai express was watchable, yes. But it was Rohit Shetty's monotonous style nonetheless. I didn't like his golmal series. Singham series too.
Now, tell me, you didnt like 'Zameen' too. Because i sort of liked it.
Probably, golmal is the first case, where we both dislike the same movie.
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:58 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now, tell me, you didnt like 'Zameen' too. Because i sort of liked it.
Probably, golmal is the first case, where we both dislike the same movie.
If 'Zameen' is the movie where Ajay Devgun & Akshay Khanna are some kinda cops who unearth corruption & crime syndicates somewhere in north India (I guess it was Bihar) and Paresh Rawal is the villain, I refuse to believe that it was directed by Rohit Shetty. That movie was pretty good as far as I can remember.

And, there was at least one more movie where we had some sort of consensus (like or dislike, don't remember).

Trivia: Rohit Shetty is son of yesteryears taklu villain Shetty.
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
If 'Zameen' is the movie where Ajay Devgun & Akshay Khanna are some kinda cops who unearth corruption & crime syndicates somewhere in north India (I guess it was Bihar) and Paresh Rawal is the villain, I refuse to believe that it was directed by Rohit Shetty. That movie was pretty good as far as I can remember.

And, there was at least one more movie where we had some sort of consensus (like or dislike, don't remember).

Trivia: Rohit Shetty is son of yesteryears taklu villain Shetty.
In Zameen, Ajay Devgan and Abhishek bachchan team up to counter a Pak sponsored Hijack. The villain is Mukesh Tiwari among others. Liked the Jingoism in that. Plus 'dilli ki sardi' by Amrita Arora.
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Junior eCharchan

mayurkawale is on a distinguished road
Re: Bajirao Mastani

Yes HDDCS is one of the best movies, but yes you can not compere bajirao mastani and HDDCS. Yes you can compere dilwale and bajirao mastani. If you are talking about dilwale and bajirao mastani, I must tell you that the which are more positive than dilwale

Last edited by AmthaLal; December 29th, 2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old December 30th, 2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurkawale View Post
Yes HDDCS is one of the best movies, but yes you can not compere bajirao mastani and HDDCS. Yes you can compere dilwale and bajirao mastani. If you are talking about dilwale and bajirao mastani, I must tell you that the which are more positive than dilwale
So, Mr. Typical 'Rahul Tina movies' lover, i would compare all 3 movies and would find all 3 of them as crap as compared to 'Gadar ek Prem Katha', 'The hero love story of a spy' and other old time classics like 'Numbri Aadmi', 'badle ki Aag' and 'Insaniyat ke Dushman'

On second thoughts, i dont want to insult a useful body function. So will stick with
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:26 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So, Mr. Typical 'Rahul Tina movies' lover, i would compare all 3 movies and would find all 3 of them as crap as compared to 'Gadar ek Prem Katha', 'The hero love story of a spy' and other old time classics like 'Numbri Aadmi', 'badle ki Aag' and 'Insaniyat ke Dushman'
I have relatives in Punjab who love the Deol family to death. I used to make my cousins cry out with tears.. all I had to say was 'Dharmender to boodha ho gaya, ab kya movie karega'

So when this 'The hero love story of a spy'.. brilliant movie came out, I was singing praises like who can do so many roles in one movie but Sunny and one not much known actor by the name of Sanjeev Kumar.. they all sensed my ridicule.. wasn't a pretty sight.

Less known trivia: It was Priyanka Chopra's debut movie
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

kisi se itna pyar mat karo ki usko maarna mushkil ho jaaye
kisi se itni ghrina mat karo ki khud ka jeena mushkil ho jaaye.
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
kisi se itni ghrina mat karo ki khud ka jeena mushkil ho jaaye.
you picking on dirty?
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:38 AM
In search of peace!

The son of Bajirao Mastani Krishna Bajirao aka Shamsher Singh was the ruler of Banda region of current Uttar Pradesh.

When & why did the Maratha rule begin to shrink? At its peak, it covered vast majority of india (& beyond?).
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:43 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The son of Bajirao Mastani Krishna Bajirao aka Shamsher Singh was the ruler of Banda region of current Uttar Pradesh.

When & why did the Maratha rule begin to shrink? At its peak, it covered vast majority of india (& beyond?).
he was going to be named krishna singh---like a bundela rajput warrior . at least that was the wish of his mother mastani to which bajirao had acceded . but the pune brahmins put a spanner in the works . krishna singh/shamsher bahadur's son ali bahadur was spitting image of his grandfather bajirao . when the peshwai began to collapse in the 19th century because the last peshwa bajirao 2nd proved to be incompetent there was a move to make ali bahadur the peshwa , because he was more of a warrior than bajirao 2nd . but fear that the peshwai would pass to a muslim made the pune brahmins hellbent on destroying all records of mastani and her descendants---so we do not have much information on mastani . shamsher bahadur himself died after the maratha defeat at panipat . he had accompanied the army and fought there , but was heartbroken by the slaughter of his people and had a heart attack .

the maratha ambitions to rule india were stopped at panipat , but they recovered to rule delhi as protectors of the nominal ruler---the mughal emperor . but later they came up against the british . unity among the five main maratha states ( shindes of gwalior , holkars of indore , bhosales of nagpur , gaikwads of baroda , and the peshwa bajirao 2nd ) was lost because of the incompetence of bajirao 2nd . bajirao second incurred an enemity with the holkar family . he and the shindes combined to attack the holkars and kill the holkar chief . but his brother jaswantrao holkar defeated both the peshwas and shinde . jaswantrao ( who was the last great warrior the marathas ever produced ) marched on pune . scared for his life , bajirao 2nd surrendered to the british and accepted their overlordship in order to protect himself from jaswantrao . thus the peshwai was surrendered to the british .

too late the marathas realised what had happened , but as i said it was too late . the peshwa was now a tool of the british , and no unity was possible between jaswantrao holkar and the shindes because of bloodfeud---the shinde chief daulatrao had colluded with bajirao 2nd to kill jaswantrao's bother . so the marathas were all divided at the crucial moment . if all five maratha states had united to stop the british then they could have stopped them . but the british individually defeated them one by one . four of the maratha states were thus defeated . only jaswantrao holkar was victorious over the forces of the british in the battle of mukundra pass . he then marched to the punjab in order to unite the marathas and sikhs . jaswantrao asked maharajah ranjit singh to help him drive the british out of india . but ranjit singh did not want to challenge british power .

as long as jaswantrao holkar was alive the british did not dare attack the marathas again , though the other four maratha states were now their vassals . but the british could afford to play the waiting game---they simply waited for jaswantrao to die . after he died they invaded the marathas again and conquered them .
Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:13 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

note---jaswantrao's real name was yashwantrao holkar . but the north indians called him jaswantrao .