eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old August 21st, 2001, 09:21 AM
eCharchan

Patel Bhai is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NO! That doesn't prove racism

Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI

You are probably a supporter of the theory for reservation in government jobs based on demographics of immigrants and minorities.

Don't assume anything - if the demographics doesn't match by this huge margin - there is definately something wrong - somewhere. It does not mean that I am supporting reservations.

I read hard copy of Toronto Star - the same newspaper in which this story came and have read many responses on that article - thoese includes real sufferer (of racial discrimation). Shiv is not alone who faced it, but there are many others like him.

Don't know why but you always trying to defend goras - any special reason??
Old August 21st, 2001, 09:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute
Videsee,

I don't mean you don't do anything about racism - you do smething. You change yourself rather than fight!! Life like Yusuf Die like Hussain - remember? Unless racism goes beyond all limits, we should fight it like Yusuf - change ourselves rather than use coercive force (courts).

I'll explain by the example of Ezhavas. They were untouchables and wanted to rebel. Their teacher, Narayan Guru forbade them. Change yourselves. If Brahmins don't allow you into their temples, that is their problem. You allow those below you into your temples. They did - called Mochis, Bhangees, Jiggis, Kirris all into their temples.

If Brahmins dont give you respect, YOU give to others. They did - talked graciously to all the high and the low. Started unofficial hospitals for the poor - their power grew and grew. Even the King could do nothing to them for thay had the suppot of the masses. The educated themselves, then others. Finally reached high in life - above the Brahmins and Reddys too.

Remember Gandhi who refused to fight? He lifted a handful of salt and destroyed an empire!! Remember Yusuf and the Potiphar?

Shring
Old August 21st, 2001, 09:25 AM
khopdion ka khopdi

khopdi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by videsee
Whether in sales or software?
how 'bout in cold wether
Old August 21st, 2001, 09:26 AM

Re: Re: NO! That doesn't prove racism

Quote:
Originally posted by Patel Bhai
Don't know why but you always trying to defend goras - any special reason??
Now, that's a racist comment.

I just speak for the right - what is right in my opinion. You certainly have the right to differ.
Old August 21st, 2001, 09:59 AM
eCharchan

Patel Bhai is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: NO! That doesn't prove racism

Quote:

Now, that's a racist comment.

I just speak for the right - what is right in my opinion. You certainly have the right to differ.
Old August 21st, 2001, 10:01 AM
khopdion ka khopdi

khopdi is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Re: NO! That doesn't prove racism

Quote:
You certainly have the right to differ.
how about the left ??
Old August 21st, 2001, 10:06 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Shringarey
Videsee,

I don't mean you don't do anything about racism - you do smething. You change yourself rather than fight!! Life like Yusuf Die like Hussain - remember? Unless racism goes beyond all limits, we should fight it like Yusuf - change ourselves rather than use coercive force (courts).

I'll explain by the example of Ezhavas. They were untouchables and wanted to rebel. Their teacher, Narayan Guru forbade them. Change yourselves. If Brahmins don't allow you into their temples, that is their problem. You allow those below you into your temples. They did - called Mochis, Bhangees, Jiggis, Kirris all into their temples.

If Brahmins dont give you respect, YOU give to others. They did - talked graciously to all the high and the low. Started unofficial hospitals for the poor - their power grew and grew. Even the King could do nothing to them for thay had the suppot of the masses. The educated themselves, then others. Finally reached high in life - above the Brahmins and Reddys too.

Remember Gandhi who refused to fight? He lifted a handful of salt and destroyed an empire!! Remember Yusuf and the Potiphar?

Shring
Shring bhai....I hear what you are saying but respectfully disagree. See my earlier post. Zulm karna aur zulm sehna - dono haraam hai!!

All of us, whether in US or Canada, work to provide a better life for our families. Why should someone prevent that on the basis of skin color? If I tolerate racism, am I truthful/faithful to my own principles. I am giving 'sanction' to racism too aren't I?

Mark Twain

Last edited by videsee; August 21st, 2001 at 10:10 AM.
Old August 21st, 2001, 10:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
All I can say is:

When you are not in your country, you have to play by the rules of the Host....wait for the right moment.....and enforce your rules....be it slowly and steadily or be it in one shot in a weak moment of the host.

I hope you can relate this to a daughter-in-law, just married. Initially she has to play by the existing rules of the M-I-Law....but slowly and steadily, she can put her thoughts/views in to action without any uproar.
but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Old August 21st, 2001, 10:44 AM
Junior eCharchan

Siraj is on a distinguished road
Arya,

So all we are bahu here and amrika is sas? (Bahuram will be happy )
Old August 21st, 2001, 10:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute
videsee, arya,

Arya, I agree with you. We should not be revolutionaries - rather be evolutionaries.

Videsee bhai,

Zulm sehen karnaa - what is zulm? Are we in a position to say that something is zulm or not? Forgetting extreme cases, what is zulm is difficult to say. eg.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Employee: I work. I am the hardest working guy around!! I make 20 widgets an hour consistently while the other workers make only 12. Ive got records to prove it!! Yet I get no promotion because Im brown. This is racism

Employer: This employee does nothing but make widgets. That is required for a new fresher. He is 15 years in the company. He should be concentrating onb processes and mentoring, not making widgets. He has no perspective

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Employee : Ive come first in all my career. I can solve statistical equations like no one else. I am the greatest statistician around here. I like to learn too. I keep abreast of all new research papers. The others are all chutths - do no work. Yet Im not promoted - Racism!!!

Employer : This fella is an ineffecient arsehole. He still uses the chi-square formula in the stats dept. When others are using SAS software, he is using paper and pencil - and he arrogantly says "Only those who do not understand stats need a computer. My computer is here" and he taps the brain. He wastes his time reading journals and keeping abreast of happennings - he says. But he wastes too much time. The others use google search if they want something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Employee : Im the greatest salesman here. My sales figures are the highest in my dept. And that Shenoy? He can sell for nuts. His sales are less than 10% of my sales. He does no work!! Alkl he does is flirt with girls and party with friends. Besides he is a chjaatoo, an arse licker. Yet he got promoted and not me. Why? He is Brahmin and Im Dalit!!!

Employer : This employee is hard working - plodding. He does not woirk smart at all. Now this Shenoy, - he is different! Boy!! Is he smart?! Hes always with people and has a wide network. Last week he to a big man to the racecourse. We got a great order. Shenoy did not even process it - but it came diurectl to HO!!!

See? We may be wrong about injustice. Better bear it.

Shring
Old August 21st, 2001, 11:00 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Shring - ok.

You have your viewpoint - I have mine.

Like I said, I respect your views. Don't agree with it. But that's me.

Mark Twain
Old August 21st, 2001, 11:06 AM

excellent shringarey

Like I say, Racism is all in your head.

Somepeople will try to give a racist perspective to everything they come across.
Old August 21st, 2001, 11:29 AM
Junior eCharchan

Siraj is on a distinguished road
Shrig,

Excellent cases you described - but it does not prove the real cases - look at the content of the article:

Quote:
The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal ruled this week that Health Canada discriminated against Chopra because of his ethnicity. Officials also altered Chopra's performance review to try to fend off his discrimination complaint, the tribunal said.
eNri,

These are not some people or few people - it is Canadian Human Rights Tribunal - mind it.
Old August 21st, 2001, 11:31 AM

I never said anything about this specific case

Duhhhh.........
Old August 21st, 2001, 11:32 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

Re: I never said anything about this specific case

Quote:
Duhhhh.........
Duhhh.....why not?

Isn't that the general idea? To discuss the post rather than abstracts????

Mark Twain