eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old August 20th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by videsee

No. Honestly. And I deal with customers all over North America. USA, Canada & Mexico. As you rightly said, in the private sector skills matter more.

But that sounds like the proverbial
zuroorat par Gadhe ko bhi baap banana padta hain situation.
but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Old August 20th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by aryaputra

But that sounds like the proverbial
zuroorat par Gadhe ko bhi baap banana padta hain situation.
Wouldn't that apply to ANYONE??

Whether in sales or software?

Mark Twain
Old August 20th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
videsse, i also meant to say "Don't take it personally".

Yes. That applies to anyone who stays in an environment that is racist but still gets a good job.
Old August 20th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Quote:
videsse, i also meant to say "Don't take it personally".

Yes. That applies to anyone who stays in an environment that is racist but still gets a good job.
Arya, no not taking it personally .....but am certainly confused. Do you mean that the millions of Indians in USA, Canada etc (all of whom have some degree of racism) are donkeys?

I would call them people with skills.

And if there is a demand, they supply the skills.

Gadhe ko baap kehne waala muhawra galat hai- mere khayaal se.....

Mark Twain
Old August 20th, 2001, 08:01 AM
eCharchan

Patel Bhai is an unknown quantity at this point
Videseebhai,

Good One.
Old August 20th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by videsee

Arya, no not taking it personally .....but am certainly confused. Do you mean that the millions of Indians in USA, Canada etc (all of whom have some degree of racism) are donkeys?

I would call them people with skills.

And if there is a demand, they supply the skills.

Gadhe ko baap kehne waala muhawra galat hai- mere khayaal se.....
sahi hain videssebhai... i mean the muhawra is rightly used in this context.

Indians are Donkeys...in the eyes of the racist population...still they cannot ignore them because the benefit of accepting us within their society outweighs the loss by rejecting the indians.

So gadhe(oonki nazaro mein) ko bhi baap banate hei yeh log...apne faayde ke liye...
Old August 20th, 2001, 10:27 AM

Arya is suffering from inferiority complex

Quote:
sahi hain videssebhai... i mean the muhawra is rightly used in this context.

Indians are Donkeys...in the eyes of the racist population...still they cannot ignore them because the benefit of accepting us within their society outweighs the loss by rejecting the indians.

So gadhe(oonki nazaro mein) ko bhi baap banate hei yeh log...apne faayde ke liye...
No one is thinking/calling you a donkey except you yourself. Certainly, you know more about you than anyone else!!
Old August 20th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
No one is thinking/calling you a donkey except you yourself. Certainly, you know more about you than anyone else!!
I think it is better to be an ass than an ass-hole !
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old August 21st, 2001, 07:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute
Friends,

I know that a lot of you folks will NOT agree with me - but I certainly don't approve of what Chopra did. First of all the injustice may be HIS perception. It may not really be true. Ive seen several cases of this. People who had some issues to solve before they could be resolved - rather than resolving the internal issues, they blame it on external factors (racism). I can quote cases upon cases in India and N.America.

Im not saying that Chopra's case was not racism. There could be. But I feel he should accept it and not fight it. Im echoing the first words of the American Declaration of Independence ("While injustices are sufferable, they should be sufferred"). He could have made a searching inventory of himself, and tried to change himself. How can you accept what Chopra did and reject what Dalits are doing?

If I were in his shoes, I would have borne the insults and racist comments (I hope so) - no, not because I am "nice" and don't want to get others into trouble, but because I believe that by "burning our frustrations" we can get succour - not by expressing them.

Shring
Old August 21st, 2001, 07:36 AM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with Shringarey to an extent here.

But I would also make my stand clear with the people involved. Make it clear that I have an inkling of what is happening and do not like it.
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old August 21st, 2001, 07:48 AM
eCharchan

Patel Bhai is an unknown quantity at this point
Shringarey,

The figures like every 1 out of 9 canadians are minorities and in the government job they are only 1 out of 17 and in the upper management (in government) 1 out of 37 are minorities.

Doesn't it prove that the racism is there? You may tell one thing about individual case like Shiv, but what about the entire minority communities? You cannot tell that they are not upto the mark and so not getting job, as Canada is allowing only well educated people as immigrants.
Old August 21st, 2001, 08:46 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

Perceived slight vs Blatant racism

This is the question. Some of us do tend to be over-sensitive on issues of racism I agree with Shringarey on that. But in Shiv's case, it was a clear racial suppression - irrespective of the guy's qualifications. Why should we sit back and accept it?
Do we not pay the same taxes as the 'white man'? Why should the government machinery which is there to help me as much as the white man be devoid of representation of minorities?

In my experience, I have the option to walk away from a racial slight. Everytime. I also have the option to stand my ground and fight back. Not just for me. Also for future generations including my children.

Mark Twain
Old August 21st, 2001, 08:52 AM

Thumbs down NO! That doesn't prove racism

Quote:
Originally posted by Patel Bhai
The figures like every 1 out of 9 canadians are minorities and in the government job they are only 1 out of 17 and in the upper management (in government) 1 out of 37 are minorities.

Doesn't it prove that the racism is there?
You are probably a supporter of the theory for reservation in government jobs based on demographics of immigrants and minorities.

Government jobs are usually low paid and so may not attract the brightest. Plus, a lot of the smarter ones may leave to pursue other/better opportunities before they get to the upper management.

Let us not try to view from a racism angle, every bit of statistics that may be available.
Old August 21st, 2001, 08:57 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

Re: NO! That doesn't prove racism

Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI

Government jobs are usually low paid and so may not attract the brightest.
Untrue!

Government jobs DO pay well. And also attract some of the BEST talent. Additionally offers a lot more security and retirement benefits as compared to the private sector.

I am speaking specifically of Canada as I live here.

Mark Twain

Last edited by videsee; August 21st, 2001 at 09:01 AM.
Old August 21st, 2001, 09:11 AM

videsee, no arguments on that ....

... since I have never worked/lived in Canada.

But, in USA the government jobs don't pay as good as the private sector. Now, I don't mean to say that government jobs are at par with flipping burgers at McDonalds but they are usually less compensating.

(I think videsee's post is disappearing much too often)