eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Indian Politics

Notices

Indian Politics Our national time-pass!

Old April 24th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

MUMBAI: Reflecting its uneasy relationship with the BJP, NDA constituent Shiv Sena on Tuesday extended full support to Maharashtra bandh on Wednesday called by 50 Left unions and nine political parties to protest against the Centre's anti-labour policies.

"The anti-worker black laws must be crushed and we must take a pledge not to sit back till the government is humbled," Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray said in an appeal in the party mouthpiece "Saamna".

The state is all set to witness the blending of the saffron and red brigade with Thackeray's call to support the state-wide bandh called by four major trade unions - INTUC, TUJAC, BMS and BKS.

The unions are demanding scrapping of the "anti labour, anti-farmer and anti-people" economic policies of the Centre as well as the Maharastra government and winding up of the controversial Enron power project in the state.

According to trade union leaders, around 1.5 crore workers from textile, banking, insurance, transport, petroleum, ports, civic, power and aviation sectors would be participating in the bandh.

Shiv Sena's backing to the bandh, originally organised by the Left parties and their affiliated trade unions is considered a political move by Thackeray to keep the NDA goverment under constant pressure.

The Left parties, however, have made it clear that they had not sought the support of the Sena and it was a unilateral decision of that party to join the protest against the Vajpayee-led NDA government. (PTI)

Click here for more
Old April 24th, 2001, 11:30 AM

protesting center's anti-labor practices!!!

.... the reforms stop here!!!
Old April 24th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Question Do we reallt need bandhs to protest labour issues?

As it is India has so many national holidays. On top of it, there are so many union laws and agreements in different companies where workers only produce a certain amount of products or work on only certain pieces of a product in a day. The world economy is slowing down. Even Korean Daewoo realised that it had to let go of many workers to keep the company afloat.

Indian banks have also started voluntary retirement schemes and cooperative banks have started reducing work force to keep competitive.

On top of it now we have bandhs! for what? To protest against so called anti-labour policies.

Whether its the BJP or any other government, India will have to make changes in the labour laws if we are to stay afloat economically and be competitive in the global market.

There are many examples of how labour laws and labout unions can really kill a company.

One recent classic case was that in Premier automobiles. The company was having a tough time selling their Padmini Fiats. So the comoany started the diesel version Padmini 137D. This had a good demand among taxi drivers and many folks as diesel is cheaper. The factory used to make about 70 odd diesel cars a day and about 100 or more petrol versions. I am not sure of the figures but sure that diesel cars were lesser in prodcution than petrol ones per day.

So to increase sales, the company decided to slow down petrol version and step up the diesel version.

Then the labour unions stepped in and demanded that they would make only certain amount of diesel cars and that they would not liek the petrol version to be slowed down. This may sound illogical and not at all in line with business sense, but it really happened. There were strifes and the company went bust. Today they still make diesel taxis but the quality is very poor. The High Court in Mumbai then slapped a new Pollution Control policy and the Padmini 137D failed it miserably.

Not withstanding the Pollution test failure, it goes to show that our archaic and impractical in todays times labout laws and stranglehold of labour unions can really screw up industry.

The most classic and saddest example is the shutting down of textile mills in Mumbai a long time ago. All mills were having the Dr. Datta Samant Union and he shut down all mills for as long as 9 months. What happened? All workers lost their livelihodd, many were displaced from their daily life and households and the mills all moved to neighbouring industry friendly Gujarat state!

Well, can you share your views and opinions on this.

I have some more perosnal experiences to narrate, but wil do so at a later time.
Old April 24th, 2001, 11:39 AM

my point exactly

India needs tough labor laws to protect industry/business from the evils of labor union. In organised industrial sectors, labor is overly protected by laws.
Old April 24th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

One incident

I used to work at one of the factories of one reputed electrical-electronics multinational company in India.

I was a fresh engineer, working on the shop-floor assembly line of that company. My job was to verify the finished product by random sampling and running some tests. This was a part of the training.

Well, there was a huge order once which came to us from a reputed Indian business house for their new plant overseas. Usually oru competitor used to get such orders but this was a first for us.

At that time we were all told to work a little extra to finish off the order before time. The factory used to run in three shifts and we engineers used to come in with workers on the first shift at 7 AM though the timing was 8:30 for all of us. It was to help the productin of this order quickly.

We used to wait till 5:30 PM every day - way beyond the first shift which ended at 3:00 PM in the interests of the company. While were were supposed to be "management" and not receive oervtime, the workers used to get hefty overtime and bonuses. Most of us used to travel by the company bus, while majority of the workers had their own bikes and scooters - all thanks to the overtime!

At the time of this huge order, when I used to ask the workers to get moving and give me a coupel of extra finished PCBs they sued to say that I shoudl relax. I was new and I should not get emotional about any order. Orders always come and go, but that need not bother me. I was appaled and shocked at such attitude.

No words of common-sense that if we make a good order in time, we will get more orders and thus increase the profits for the company which would ultimately yiled higher Diwali bonus made any sense to them.

The labour union was so strong there that the management could only bow down and buy peace at any cost.

What has happened today? The plant which used to have about 2000 plus workers is now down to just about 400 or so. Many of the assembly lines have been forced to shut down due to dwindling orders and increasing over heads (worker salaries, demands and bonus being major contributors) and many engineers from that company are now elsewhere or in the US.

And mind you this company was an international powerhouse in electrical engineering field. It still is a major company in other parts of the world but has really lost its footing in India due to our "overly worker friendly" policies!
Old April 24th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all

I would first shoot all the corript union leaders like datta samant, george fernandes etc. These guys really in the name of union killed thousands of families, but for what. They got food to eat and drink while the poor labourer who used to be on daily wages suffered and his kids slept hungry. I remember the famous textile union strike in mumbai and the premier padmini strike like sutredhar pointed out. These union leaders not only shut down the companies but made countless of workers unemplyed. Now to top it off , those same idiots who did all this in the past are saying a bandh in te name of anti-labour. These guys are really wacko man.
Old April 25th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Its is surprising

that Shiv Sena has joined the Communist parties in Maharashtra and supported the strike.

I remember that long ago, when the Communist Labour unions were in power under the leadership of Mr. Krishna Desai, the Shiv Sena was alleged to have bumped him off to loosen his stranglehold on labour unions - citing that communist policies were not good for labour unions.

Anyway, as they say - In politics there are no permanent enemies, only permanent interests.
Old April 25th, 2001, 08:35 PM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute
TRADE UNION IN THE SOFTWARE INDUSTRY !!!

Dear Friends,

I want to talk about a trade union leader in the software industry!! Ridiculous eh? Read on. This happenned in the 60's - 70's in IBM, India. IBM employees in India were pissed off because of racism. The whites (Americans) were in top positions and the Indians were low down. That was the period of Charu Mujumdar, Basu, Marx, Unions. These workers decided to agitate for their rights. They had a leader called Kalelkar Guruji (I don't have his initials - sorry). He refused to strike. He said - 'Wait a min. Let us not change the white man - we can't, nor try to change the world. Let us change ourselves. What is the white man doing differently from us?"

The S/W examined and found that while they were typing in the data, loading it, getting output, the white man was writing the program that would make it run. Within 2 yrs they learnt programming. Their salaries shot 3 times. Now what? While they were writing the programs in 'languages', the top people were writing the 'compilers' which ran the languages. So our people learnt to write compilers. Their salaries increased again. From compilers to utilities, Data bases, operating system - and now the internet. They were getting noticed - first in IBM and then the world! People who had changed their destiny by taking responsibility - not by striking and in effect saying 'you are responsible for us'. They also changed the fate of a nation!!

While this was going on, round the country there were unions, anger, breaking, killing. The S/W unions were ridiculed as weak, disunited, cowards who run away. The unions destroyed industry, and workers came on the road.

Things haven't changed much. The software guys are still disunited - always arguing whether to dine in Paris and wine in London or to dine in NY and wine in NJ. The workers are still united. Together they go, hand in hand, with a begging bowl to the nearest railway station. The S/W still run away and do not fight. They run away from 8000$ pm to 10000$ pm. The workers still fight - they throw the 25p coin recd from beggary to the donors face and ensure that their trickle becomes an infra-trickle. You can think with your brains or with your butts. If you think with your brains, the world will use your brains and give you brain-money. If you think with your butts, people will use your butts and give you butt-money. Simple!!

This is what I have been hammering thru my posts. You cannot change the world - only yourself!!. Kalelkar may be dead but his Spirit still lives on.Don't believe me? Check your wallets. The bills there will have photos of Lincoln, Q. Elizabeth and Emeror Hirohito - not of Karl Marx or Ambedkar. I think your wallet is better off without them.

Today people like Basu, Kanshi bRam and Murli Deora are shouting : "While some people make 1 lac pm others have no job. Is it fair?" Tell them this story. Tell them that the responses were different so the rewads were different. That the world wants Indian S/W at world prices and Indians themselves do not want Indian Labour at ANY price. Tell them that.

Remember friends, that that is the LAW, the WORD, the KARMA. It is simple : "What you sow is what you reap, What you get is what you keep". Remember that - ALWAYS. It is easy to forget. Also once in a while, remeber the Saint who carved your destiny.

Friends, in honour of that Saint, I propose a toast. May his tribe increase!!

Shring

PS: Don't mail this to friends plz - I'll land in trouble. For explanations, mail me. S.

Last edited by Shringarey; April 25th, 2001 at 08:52 PM.