eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old February 27th, 2010, 03:18 AM
eCharchan

Mr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond repute
Question Yoga can help us live longer ?

Hello All,

Recently i was watching repeat of rajini kanth's movie baba .In this movie story of a babaji was mentioned. What was interesting about this babaji's story was to know that he is 600+ years old and he is still surviving.
We have seen instances of people living upto 110 + years , with normal life style. Do you think it is possible to extend our life with yoga/meditation and a more disciplined life style ?

Mahavatar Babaji is the name given to an Indian saint by Lahiri Mahasaya and several of his disciples[1] who met Mahavatar Babaji between 1861 and 1935. Some of these meetings were described by Paramahansa Yogananda in his book Autobiography of a Yogi (1946), including a first hand telling of Yogananda’s own meeting with Mahavatar Babaji.[2] Another first hand account was given by Sri Yukteswar Giri in his book The Holy Science.[3] All of these accounts, along with additional meetings with Mahavatar Babaji, are described in various biographies[4][5][6] of those mentioned by Yogananda.
Mahavatar Babaji’s given name and date of birth are not known, so those who met him during that period all called him by the title first given to him by Lahiri Mahasaya.[2][6] "Mahavatar" means "great avatar", and "Babaji" simply means "revered father". Some of the encounters included two or more witnesses—discussions between those who met Mahavatar Babaji indicate that they all met the same person.[2][4][5]

In addition, Babaji is reputed to be ageless, according to some accounts, and about 500 years old around the late 1800’s, according to Swami Pranabananda.[4] Yogananda reports that, according to the disciples of Lahiri Mahasaya, nobody knows Babaji’s age, family, place of birth, true name, or other details “dear to the annalist’s heart.”[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahavatar_Babaji
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Yoga can help us live longer ?

Long life is a curse today,so avoid yoga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bharat View Post
Hello All,

Recently i was watching repeat of rajini kanth's movie baba .In this movie story of a babaji was mentioned. What was interesting about this babaji's story was to know that he is 600+ years old and he is still surviving.
We have seen instances of people living upto 110 + years , with normal life style. Do you think it is possible to extend our life with yoga/meditation and a more disciplined life style ?

Mahavatar Babaji is the name given to an Indian saint by Lahiri Mahasaya and several of his disciples[1] who met Mahavatar Babaji between 1861 and 1935. Some of these meetings were described by Paramahansa Yogananda in his book Autobiography of a Yogi (1946), including a first hand telling of Yogananda’s own meeting with Mahavatar Babaji.[2] Another first hand account was given by Sri Yukteswar Giri in his book The Holy Science.[3] All of these accounts, along with additional meetings with Mahavatar Babaji, are described in various biographies[4][5][6] of those mentioned by Yogananda.
Mahavatar Babaji’s given name and date of birth are not known, so those who met him during that period all called him by the title first given to him by Lahiri Mahasaya.[2][6] "Mahavatar" means "great avatar", and "Babaji" simply means "revered father". Some of the encounters included two or more witnesses—discussions between those who met Mahavatar Babaji indicate that they all met the same person.[2][4][5]

In addition, Babaji is reputed to be ageless, according to some accounts, and about 500 years old around the late 1800’s, according to Swami Pranabananda.[4] Yogananda reports that, according to the disciples of Lahiri Mahasaya, nobody knows Babaji’s age, family, place of birth, true name, or other details “dear to the annalist’s heart.”[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahavatar_Babaji
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Junior eCharchan

UIDIOTS has a reputation beyond reputeUIDIOTS has a reputation beyond reputeUIDIOTS has a reputation beyond reputeUIDIOTS has a reputation beyond reputeUIDIOTS has a reputation beyond reputeUIDIOTS has a reputation beyond reputeUIDIOTS has a reputation beyond reputeUIDIOTS has a reputation beyond reputeUIDIOTS has a reputation beyond reputeUIDIOTS has a reputation beyond reputeUIDIOTS has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought Yoga could keep people healthy for a long time! But 600+ years, u got to be kiddin me! And even if its possible, i wouldnt like to live 'that long'! Life would become boring!!!!
Old February 27th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Benam eCharchan

Anonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnonymous has a reputation beyond repute

the number of breaths (सांसें) for a living-being is pre-determined. if one breathes slow, the life-span is more. if one breathes fast, the life-span shortens. if one can control the breath, the life-span can be controlled.
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
the number of breaths (सांसें) for a living-being is pre-determined. if one breathes slow, the life-span is more. if one breathes fast, the life-span shortens. if one can control the breath, the life-span can be controlled.
I know one Babajee, who is 547 years old, eat and drink nothing but air, knows all about the present, past and future. Last heard he was going to launch a news and a food channel.

Old February 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Long life is a curse today,so avoid yoga
well said.
I would like to have a healthy life instead of long one. And living for 500-600 yrs is absurd. who wants to outlive their own children's?

Old February 27th, 2010, 03:09 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Bharatbhai, who are you? You are like my childhood hero Betal aka Phantom. He also used to disappear from skull cave for months to roam streets of Bengala in raincoat and hat; or perhaps to enjoy company of women.

Current Phantom is 26th but jungle folks don't know that, so they call him GHOST WHO WALKS, PHANTOM Never dies. Could it be semsem with this Babaji. Original Babaji's disciples or shishyas take over as soon when current occupant goes to heaven?
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:28 AM
eCharchan

Mr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Bharat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I once listened to a prominent yoga guru once, he told that breath control is often mis interpreted this way, and is not gonna help much for physical and mental health.
As per him we have to support yoga with meditation , then only we can achieve something very tangible. There is a difference between yoga and meditation ? i am too new to all this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykode View Post
well said.
I would like to have a healthy life instead of long one. And living for 500-600 yrs is absurd. who wants to outlive their own children's?
I know a friend who says, to hell with health freaks...i would like to drink, eat and have sex for 20 years and die. What happiness is there in leading a healthy life, when you think 100 times to have a glass of whisky.

Some one like N.D.Tiwari must be wanting to live another few hundred centuries to test his 'male power'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post
Bharatbhai, who are you? You are like my childhood hero Betal aka Phantom. He also used to disappear from skull cave for months to roam streets of Bengala in raincoat and hat; or perhaps to enjoy company of women.

Current Phantom is 26th but jungle folks don't know that, so they call him GHOST WHO WALKS, PHANTOM Never dies. Could it be semsem with this Babaji. Original Babaji's disciples or shishyas take over as soon when current occupant goes to heaven?
I have been coming here regularly but posting only when some thing strikes me very hard. I cannot discuss most popular topics of this site..like religion bashing, politics , bollywood, terrorism e.tc.
Im not 'phantom' poster like many of you guys here

To explain further about my motivation to start this thread.
Why a super star like rajini kanth , is after this babaji and spirituality is something which intrigued me. He visits himalayas regularly these days performs lot of puja. A person who can lead happy life until his death has now taken the path of spirituality. He still has several options to be come CM or spend luxurious life abroad. Now he tours all religious places of importance,performs meditation and bows to every swamiji for upadesha.
He ruled entire south india with his glamour and style (sometimes outside india as well), but now we see a totally different rajini.

There is currently a rumor in Chennai that rajini is doing all this because he is worried that he will die in a year or so. But, i don't believe this. The man is inclined to pursue a devotional life and purify his body and soul.

This only re-confirms , India is land of mystique and magics.