eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old June 16th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
Damn you, Science!! You are evil.

Damn you, Science!! For years I've been depriving myself of butter and ghee because you told me that fat was not good for me. Fat was the cause of my cholesterol problems. I cut down on meat. I cut down on mithaiI stopped dabbing ghee on my rotis. On top of that, my wife adds some crappy husk since it has more fiber, but that makes it taste like cardboard. Why? Why?

Because you told me saturated fats caused heart problems.

And now ... now I read this on the cover page of TIME Magazine.

Some of the confusion comes from the decades-long war on trans fats, the artery-clogging ingredient found in baked goods and desserts. Science has shown that trans fats are harmful because they increase risk of heart disease because they both raise level of bad cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of good cholesterol (HDL). Last year, the Food and Drug Administration said it would require food makers to phase out trans fats.

But saturated fats are different from trans fats.

"I do agree butter, along with other saturated fats like poultry skin, coconut oil, full fat dairy and certain cuts of red meat, are no longer the enemy," TODAY diet expert Joy Bauer said Thursday. “But, before people go slathering butter on things like bagels, mashed potatoes and pasta, they need to know that it's way more complicated than that."
"We always knew that saturated fats elevate LDL-cholesterol (also known as the bad cholesterol)," said TODAY diet expert Joy Bauer Thursday. "

However, scientists now know that there are two different kinds of bad cholesterol particles — one is small and dense (the kind linked to heart disease) and the other is large and fluffy (the kind that seems to be mostly benign). Saturated fat raises the level of larger particles that don’t appear to be harmful.

On the other hand, refined carbohydrates (white bread, bagels, crackers, baked goods, cookies and soda), do increase the smaller, more dangerous LDL particles.

"And unfortunately when fat was vilified back in the 1970s, we replaced those fats with…you guessed it…refined carbohydrates. That’s why we’re in trouble now," Bauer said. That's why it's important to reduce intake of refined carbs.

SCIENCE!!! YOU ARE EVIL!!

Old June 16th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Damn you, Science!! You are evil.

It is generally believed that the less the food is processed, the better it is for health. So, things like reduced fat margarine/butter etc are supposed to be less healthy...so, just recently I went back to whole milk, full fat yogurt and things like that. Of course, we still need to watch in terms of portion control. .
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:05 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
It is generally believed that the less the food is processed, the better it is for health. So, things like reduced fat margarine/butter etc are supposed to be less healthy...so, just recently I went back to whole milk, full fat yogurt and things like that. Of course, we still need to watch in terms of portion control. .
very true, and that is the basic funda behind most diet programs.

Paleo diet tells you to eat only things that humans ate in paleolithic ages, anything that doesn't look natural should not be eaten. They also make you cut out dairy in all forms, so I'm not a fan of this diet. But I try to follow the generic rules.. no colas (Pepsi, Coke, etc), try to avoid pizza, cake, doughnuts, fried stuff, pasta, etc I do make exceptions from time to time.
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
very true, and that is the basic funda behind most diet programs.

Paleo diet tells you to eat only things that humans ate in paleolithic ages, anything that doesn't look natural should not be eaten. They also make you cut out dairy in all forms, so I'm not a fan of this diet. But I try to follow the generic rules.. no colas (Pepsi, Coke, etc), try to avoid pizza, cake, doughnuts, fried stuff, pasta, etc I do make exceptions from time to time.
ya, lately I am also staying away from bread; so pizza, roti, doughnuts etc are out. Cola, I stopped a long time ago. Shifted to green tea with less caffeine whenever i feel like drinking cola.

One thing which I would like myself to like to stop is alcohol. Though I take it only during weekends, I am better off without it.
But i dont want to stop alcohol. I just wnat myself to want to stop.
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:30 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ya, lately I am also staying away from bread; so pizza, roti, doughnuts etc are out. Cola, I stopped a long time ago. Shifted to green tea with less caffeine whenever i feel like drinking cola.

One thing which I would like myself to like to stop is alcohol. Though I take it only during weekends, I am better off without it.
But i dont want to stop alcohol. I just wnat myself to want to stop.
so you are going gluten free as well, I can't do without eating roti..

Alcohol is tough to stop, but you can limit yourself, I have reduced my drinks to bare minimum.. only office happy hours and occasionally with friends.. like 4-5 drinks a month.
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
so you are going gluten free as well, I can't do without eating roti..

Alcohol is tough to stop, but you can limit yourself, I have reduced my drinks to bare minimum.. only office happy hours and occasionally with friends.. like 4-5 drinks a month.
Oh no...Is bread free is what is called gluten free?! I just told my colleague that I dont understand this fuss about going gluten free not realizing I am on one such diet!

My biggest addiction is (or was) parathas. That I managed to stop. Since I stopped that, I am now behind rice. I think letting go of staple foods completely on a long term basis in impossible.
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Oh no...Is bread free is what is called gluten free?! I just told my colleague that I dont understand this fuss about going gluten free not realizing I am on one such diet!

My biggest addiction is (or was) parathas. That I managed to stop. Since I stopped that, I am now behind rice. I think letting go of staple foods completely on a long term basis in impossible.
well those are the main forms of gluten.. its tough to quit these foods forever. We dont even know the effects of stopping these foods on our body long term.
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that everything in moderation is okay.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
I believe that everything in moderation is okay.
agree
Old June 16th, 2014, 07:47 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Damn you, Science!! You are evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
Damn you, Science!! For years I've been depriving myself
SCIENCE!!! YOU ARE EVIL!!
Scattered all over the forum ... an old timer, now inactive member (he was a moderator for few days, I believe) has dispensed/shared his personal opinions long before you read those in the headlines ...

You never paid attention. Cause he claimed to be LLKC? Ghar ki murgi dal barobar ...

The headline one in your quote? Search for his take in his 10 or 11 year old posts/threads ...
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old June 16th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post
Scattered all over the forum ... an old timer, now inactive member (he was a moderator for few days, I believe) has dispensed/shared his personal opinions long before you read those in the headlines ...

You never paid attention. Cause he claimed to be LLKC? Ghar ki murgi dal barobar ...

The headline one in your quote? Search for his take in his 10 or 11 year old posts/threads ...
Are you talking about tantric yogi or krantikari?

Old June 16th, 2014, 09:04 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

I never technically quit alcohol, but apparently I have no clue when I last had one . It seems to have completely wiped off my system .

The consequence was from my mehfil being disbanded .

Apparently my tests came back with too much trigyceride . I think I need to go vegetarian for a couple of months . That is going to be challenging .
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:00 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks View Post
I never technically quit alcohol, but apparently I have no clue when I last had one . It seems to have completely wiped off my system .

... :confused ...

The consequence was from my mehfil being disbanded .

... :confused ...

Apparently

... apparently? ... apparently??? ... :confused ...

my tests came back with too much trigyceride . I think I need to go vegetarian for a couple of months . That is going to be challenging .
HDL? HDL to LDL ratio? These are numbers as important as tgds.

You follow doctor sahib's advise ... by the way to re-reinforce your respects for the tribe of doctors ... Man Mohan Singh Doctor too is a doctor ... albeit of economics or some such shit ... look at Indian economy to see how effective Doctor Sahib was. Just kidding or am I?

Anyway ...

Speaking strictly for myself ... I love mutton, beef, chicken, fish. prawns, and lobsters too much to give up even for one meal for get even a week.

Here is how I will lower my tgd numbers in a month or two ... disclaimer: speaking strictly for meself.

I will eat all the eggs, meat, and shellfish I can sans animal fat (not even chicken skin) or lard. Lard? No eating restaurant non-veg food including Chinese. Most of them use lard.
I will stop or cutdown on bread, rice, and rotis. NO MAIDA SHIT. NO NAANS.
I will walk one extra mile a day on an empty stomach.
I will stop or cut down on any and all kinds of Indian snacks.
No soft drinks. Definitely no sugar-free shit.
I will continue to drink 6 to 7 cups of dark coffee.

Thats about it. I will expect my tgd numbers to be way in lower average range within that one to two month time frame if not sooner.

Done.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Senior eCharchan

ungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard and seen people drinking full glass of desi ghee in rural Punjab. They faced no health problem as such. Daily intake of makkhan in all meals is still common here... It makes you healthy internally. Immunity system gets stronger.

If you are able to consume your diet doing workout/physical labour, all types of diets are good. Yes.. excess of anything is bad.

Kali pai, sorry to realise that you deprived yourself from such delicious forms of food.

Khaao peeyo aish karo mitro....
Old June 17th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post

Thats about it. I will expect my tgd numbers to be way in lower average range within that one to two month time frame if not sooner.

Done.
Whats this TGD? I am a little confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungalprasad View Post
I have heard and seen people drinking full glass of desi ghee in rural Punjab. They faced no health problem as such. Daily intake of makkhan in all meals is still common here... It makes you healthy internally. Immunity system gets stronger.
I think a lot depends on the life style as well. Imagine someone sitting in front of a computer desk all day everyday drinking a glass of ghee vs someone who has an active life style drinking ghee.