eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Indian Politics

Notices

Indian Politics Our national time-pass!

Old April 25th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Problems facing India..

Friends, there are a lot of problems that India has to address and that too swiftly to become the great land it once was.

Problems
Education
Poverty
Population
Corruption
Lack of political good will
Fundamentalism
Religious chaos
Economy
External aggression
Terrorism

Now how are we addressing these issues. Lets take them one by one.

Education. More than 48% of our people are not educated. This is a concern and In my opinion should be given top attension. How are we addressing this? A little effort was put in the past decades to hold adult literacy camps and such and after that fusss. Many of our villages do not have schools. And what are we doing about this.. we are fighting over ram and allah.

Poverty.
WFP recently reported that the majority of people below poverty level are in India. Our food distribution program is a bust and our politicians are busy pulling eachother's ham strings. Sigh..

Population
Well nothing much can be done about this until people get educated.

Corruption
Again nothing much can be done about this until education is imparted and the politicians behave themself. But if everyone is educated then the politicians will find it difficult to find scape goats. so.. go figure.

Lack of political good will.

When adults in a community are engaged in fronts that are religious be it SIMI, RSS,BD then their kith and kin are sure to follow their path. Its an ironic catch 22. Solution.. ban all these organizations (like usa did to commies) and then they will disappear themself. But who will bell the cat?

Fundamentalism and Religious chaos.
Fundamentalism see above.
Religious chaos. See above. Until that does not happen its sad but a truth that many more Gujrats will happen.

Economy.
Of late some measures are encouraging but for it to improve further, the state should not be in the business of running business. It should only involve itself with governance and let the businessmen take on business issues. All hurdles to Foreign investors should be eased. Again no one has the will to let go some of the cash cows.

Also, riots kill whatever economic benefits realized so far. Natural causes are understandable but self inflicting disasters should be checked.

External aggression
Well god forbid if it happens, we as Indians are so at each others throats that we probably will not even notice them coming. Our army is no doubt powerful but we as Indians have to unite to make them even stronger.

Terrorism.
Blow up pukistan.. but then who has balls for it.
Old April 25th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Amazed at the interest shown on this topic.

I am overwhelmed and happy that my experiement was a complete success. Now I can really really sleep peacefully knowing we are going to be like this forever. My $$ will always be worth much more than INR and I will be riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich..

My chest is now 6 inches wider and I am walking atleast a foot taller.

woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old April 25th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Education
Poverty
Population
Corruption
Economy

As always, my opinion is that the root of all these problems is population. Everything else roots from it. More population, lesser oppurtunities, limited natural resources, poverty, illiteracy and so on.
We need some draconian measures to arrest this growing demon of population. Strict rules that restrict the number of children a couple can have to ONE.

Lack of political good will
Fundamentalism
Religious chaos
External aggression
Terrorism

For these, abolishing democracy and replacing it with a, as the cliche goes, 'Benevolant Dictator'. But this remains purely theoretical and dreamlike. But, our country doesn't deserve a democracy. we need a sane, intelligent, compassionate person with b@lls of steel to make rules.
Old April 25th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Mogambo

kameena is on a distinguished road
Yaar logo ko thoda time to diya karo reply karne ke liye.

Many of our problems today are legacies of flawed Nehruvian policies, be it education or economy.
Some of them like communalism is a creation of buffoons like those sitting in Matoshree.

Education : Lets face it, the government over the past years has been flawed in spending its efforts and money on higher education rather than primary education. Before the reforms of 1990, 58% of education budget was spent on University and higher education. Thankfully now it has come down to forties.

Today we have a condition where nearly half of our population cannot read and write. While the people who got educated in government subsidized higher education did nothing to contribute the money to society. Making people pay for higher education (like they do in US) and the government helping them with loans might go a long way. At the same time Primary education has to be made compulsory, with stiff penalties for parents who don't send their kids to school.

The other things economy/poverty are generally linked together. Thankfully with the government exiting out of this, things should improve fast.

Fundamentalish and Religious chaos are again linked together. But alas our politicians are responsible for most of it, and unfortunately I don't see any improvements in the horizon.
Old April 25th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Wannabe Mogambo

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G
For these, abolishing democracy and replacing it with a, as the cliche goes, 'Benevolant Dictator'. But this remains purely theoretical and dreamlike. But, our country doesn't deserve a democracy. we need a sane, intelligent, compassionate person with b@lls of steel to make rules.
Actually if the people are repressed too much in a diverse country like India, the moment the repression is over the country will break up. Look at what happened in Soviet Union and Yugoslavia. People will be at each other's throat. Democracy with all its flaws has to be there in India, for the nation to survive as a single entity.
Old April 25th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Pelu Pelu

Quote:
Originally posted by kameena
Yaar logo ko thoda time to diya karo reply karne ke liye.

1 hr 34 minutes for a concernd person to post in this thread versus 6 minutes in a religion bashing thread. Well thats something.

Anyways. Good points both biggie and kam bhai. China style population control required. And public education should be only at the primary and highschool levels. The college education should be totally USA style. Khud kamao, aur pado.. take a student loan and pay off after you get productive. etc.

We may not need a dictator but we surely need a leader with iron balls to make changes to the way things are working now.
Old April 25th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Wannabe Mogambo

Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL

1 hr 34 minutes for a concernd person to post in this thread versus 6 minutes in a religion bashing thread. Well thats something.

I guess after coming to US, people have washed their hands off India (a la eNRI, who has done it far more openly)

To be honest I never saw this thread, till my search for recent posts popped this one.
Old April 25th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Problems facing India..

Quote:
Corruption
Again nothing much can be done about this until education is imparted and the politicians behave themself. But if everyone is educated then the politicians will find it difficult to find scape goats. so.. go figure.

Another reason for corruption...

the salaries of grass root government employees (can I call them that?) is not upto the desired level and do not keep up with the inflation rate.

This causes a big gap between standard fo living and compensation. Increase the salary, we might be rid of the problem earlier than we think.

Educate the public to have less offsprings... problem will be reduced again - because you will not need extra money to support a large family to your means.

Ravi, I was out in a meeting. Just got in, saw this thread and replied.
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American

Last edited by Super Girl; April 25th, 2002 at 03:25 PM.
Old April 25th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Pelu Pelu

Salaries I think a just fine. Its just that they have to wade thru corruption themselves so its a chain reaction. The DA's and HRA's for govt employees are set to offset the inflation and then some. But not the cumulative net effect of corruption around them.

But if increasing salary will make a dent on corruption then that must be done.
Old April 25th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Yaar, the reason why I don't think Indian deserves democracy is our countries is full of chuddoos, who are not mentally equipped to decide what is good for them and for the nation. Do you ever ask schizophrenics to take a vote on whether shock-therapy is good for them????? Do let a kid decide whether he should poke his fingers in a plug point???
NO.
You strap the schizophrenic to the table, inspite of all violent struggles, and shock him. And you cover the plugpoints and don't let a child near it.

The majority of our nation is like that. Fokkers have no clue what their real problems are. The stupid fukkers in Jhuggis, with nothing to eat, illiterate and all, still think their biggest problem is whether there should be a mandir or a masjid at a particular place, and actually fight each other for it. These chewtiyaas form the bulk of our nation.
And do these guys do when it comes to choosing a leader of the nation???

Lets say we have two contenders for the post of the leader of the nation. One having his prime agenda as mandir/masjid. The other a brilliant, educated guy with plans for the nation's economy, education and population control.
Now, if you let the fukkers choose one of them, which one do you think they'll choose?????

The worse part is, not only the illiterate, but even the educated have the same mind frame. No clue as to how to prioritise the problems of the nations. We see it all the time out here on this board.
Old April 25th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Pelu Pelu

Well said biggie. Echarcha has everything including border infiltration (mohammad, wakar et. al).. Kashmiri terrorists (Dhurru and gang).. good hindus, evangelistic christians (you know who they are), Good christian, Chaddi dharis, Good muslim, educated masses who thnk mandir is top priority. et. al. we got a mini india here.. including dowry supporters and all.. amazing.

Yahan par sample vote karna chahiye aur dekhnaa chahiye kyaa result hota hai is snap poll ka.
Old April 25th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Aaapka Dost

Rahul will become famous soon enoughRahul will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Ravi bhai.....good thread...

though we used to discuss same things again and again and again in all the daru sessions, but nice summarize thread. most of the time echarcha opened on my machine, but now only I got the time to participate, so here we go.......

Education to all, nice point, infect if you guys know primary education in most state is free/or amount looks like its free, but still people dont send the kids, even still when a boy born in most of labor class they think one more helping hand added in the family. Those class should realize that education is more valuable then having a extra helping hand for few hours, but try to convience them, they say "Babu pad likh ke kisko nokari milti hain", Now if you see, the big picture is have to change environment, the way people think, they link education to earning.

There is one problem which all of us overlook, that is voting, How many educated people really vote, instead they would like to enjoy the govt. holiday. So when a Govt elected by 50% vote that too half of that bogus), what else we can expect other then Laloo yadav and Mulayam yadav/Jaylalitha.

I know, I know we have less committed Netas, and most of them are corrupt, frankly, sometime I thought even god cant resolve this issue in India.........

Last edited by Rahul; April 25th, 2002 at 03:38 PM.
Old April 25th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Pelu Pelu

Re: Ravi bhai.....good thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rahul
sometime I thought even god cant resolve this issue in India.........
Salaa puraa ka puraa panga hi to us ke chalte hai.. na banaata religion na hoti humare desh ki ye haalat.. us ke chalte ek dusre ke baal hum tab tak nochte hain jab tak hum me se ek ganjaa nahi ho jaata..
Old April 25th, 2002, 04:06 PM
D'oh!

patel_rahul is a glorious beacon of lightpatel_rahul is a glorious beacon of lightpatel_rahul is a glorious beacon of lightpatel_rahul is a glorious beacon of lightpatel_rahul is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Re: Ravi bhai.....good thread...

Quote:

Salaa puraa ka puraa panga hi to us ke chalte hai.. na banaata religion na hoti humare desh ki ye haalat.. us ke chalte ek dusre ke baal hum tab tak nochte hain jab tak hum me se ek ganjaa nahi ho jaata..
Yep...blame it on religion. Good going.
Old April 25th, 2002, 05:56 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Amazed at the interest shown on this topic.

I am overwhelmed and happy that my experiement was a complete success. Now I can really really sleep peacefully knowing we are going to be like this forever. My $$ will always be worth much more than INR and I will be riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich..

My chest is now 6 inches wider and I am walking atleast a foot taller.

I know how you feel ... There are hundreds of great threads out there but we still come back looking for Mohammad ... Something like Ghar main ganga nadi baha rahi hai lekin phir bi some people prefer to drink gutter ka pani and frequent prostitutes or leave it up to you to make some connection ...

I am seriiusly considering coming with new ID ... tantricPUTRA or ARYAyogi ... you might try ARYApelu or peluPUTRA ...

Yaar our buddy aryabandhu seem to have some magic wand and attract all the traffic at echarcha while we sit dry ...

Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!