eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old May 16th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute
Best Hindi Horror film?

Which desi horror/scary movie is the best?

Explain your views please.

Bollywood made lot of horror movies. Well, exclude Ramsey Brothers movies. Because they were mostly cheapos and silly visual effacts and makeup jobs.

From Kahi deep jale kahi dil....kohra.....from black and white era to these days, like Bhoot, Ragini MMS.....lot of are good ones.

Name your favorite.
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Senior eCharchan

marvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Hindi Horror film?

have not really seen that many but IMO 'Darna Mana Hai' "Veerana" "Darvaja' etc.
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

For me it is Raaz .Shaapit starring Aditya was also not too bad.

P.S. karan Johar movie "Kabhi Alvida na kahna" where everybody keeps on changing partners was a bit of a horror show
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

great thread... my fav topic

well excluding Ramsey bro's great work...well I have to say Bhoot/Raat takes the cake

Both are great movies
Raat when I first saw it could not sleep for week. Music, acting and direction were all great
Also loved bhoot. Urmila did a fab job in the movie

Let see what others recommend

Old May 16th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

One of the scariest was with Girish Karnad as the father of a girl (I think played by Kiran Vairale) who gets possessed. Let me google it for you. I guarantee you that you will be shit scared. Its not just the usual horror with deformed faces, etc. but plays on your inherent fears of the supernatural.
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
One of the scariest was with Girish Karnad as the father of a girl (I think played by Kiran Vairale) who gets possessed. Let me google it for you. I guarantee you that you will be shit scared. Its not just the usual horror with deformed faces, etc. but plays on your inherent fears of the supernatural.
Sorry I mixed up the actors. The movie was Gehrayee starring Amrish Puri, Anant Nag, Shreeram Lagoo and Padmini Kolhapure.

Go watch it!! Scary as hell.
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Sorry I mixed up the actors. The movie was Gehrayee starring Amrish Puri, Anant Nag, Shreeram Lagoo and Padmini Kolhapure.

Go watch it!! Scary as hell.
Ram Gopal Verma's Phoonk was a bad bad rip off of this film.
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Ram Gopal Verma's Phoonk was a bad bad rip off of this film.
Here is the story of Gehrayee ...

Quote:
If a person has been doing hard work on a land owned by a rich man and starts treating the land with a great love and treats the land as a very important part of his life and even does not treat badly any living creatures living in that premises and rather respects even a snake as the caretaker of the land then he can be devasted if rich person asks him to leave the place as he has sold the land to other owner who would make an industry here.

It is not about the alternative arrangement done by the owner of the land for his job at a different place and it is more the matter of his emotional attachment with the land, trees on this land, his hard work done in making this land as a green paradise where birds are singing the song all the day and different kinds of flowers are blossomed and different kinds of fruits are flourishing on the trees and different kinds of vegetables are existing on and inside the land. This land has become his life and selling this land may carry him at the door of death.

A young man brings his lover to his home so that she can meet with his family. His teen ager sister takes his lover to her room to show the photo album etc. After some minutes his lover comes out in a visibly disturbed mode and she insists on going back to home as soon as possible.

It is not usual in films to see the teenager sister making sexual advances to her elder brother. All the family members are sitting in a room and son gets up to take the bath and all of a sudden his younger sisters gets up from her chair and takes her brother in her arms and starts saying dialogues which a prostitute may say to lure her customer. Everybody is shocked to see this lewd behaviour of a teen ager girl. Brother is trying to push away his sister but she is clinging to him more tightly.

Whole family is playing carrom board and all of a sudden daughter starts accusing her father for her sexual exploitation and not as a young girl but as some other woman.

Her mother is stunned to listen this. Daughter is taken to doctor who has only one option to treat her, electric shock.
Gehrayee explores the mental torture of the family when daughter starts suffering from a disorder in her behaviour. Father takes her to doctor and daughter complains about doctorís rude behaviour. Brother and mother listens to their old servant that girl is suffering from ghost problem.

There is a clash between father and son over the girlís problem.

A tantrik is asked to help but it makes situation even worse and girl is saved from his evil efforts.

There is a mystry behind girlís problem.

Padmini Kolhapure had given an outstanding performance in the role of a teen ager suffering girl. She was very young and still could portray the changing and complex behaviour of her character very well.

In the media film was in news because of a nude scene of Padmini Kolhapure.

Dr Shreeram Lagoo as the father of girl, Indrani Mukharjee as the mother of girl and Anant Nag as brother of the girl were quite good.

Amrish Puri in a small role of the tantrik proved again that great actors donít need hours of screen space and they can leave the long lasting impact even in a few minutes role.

Filmís USPs are the relience on the story, characterization, psychological dynamics of the characters and direct take on the probelm and absence of technical gimmicks. Film does not try to create false fear because of the use of technology and
problems and emotions of the characters do that job.

A simple take makes Gehrayee a remarkable hindi film in the genre of ghost and black magic etc.

Old May 16th, 2011, 06:06 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

I recall watching one a year or two ago ... Flat 13 B ... Enjoyable horror film ... perhaps I liked because film had no songs.

Anyone seen old B/W Woh Kaun Thi? Bees Saal Baad? Kohra? I bought VCD long ago ... inner tapes were destroyed by the time I got around to watching.

The Exorcist has been an only film which kept me awake several nights.
Stupid opinions ... all mine ... worth 2 cents ... you can have for free with a pinch of salt.
"......I can't believe I am saying this..... if you re not humble in this world, this world will thrust humbleness upon you" - Mike Tyson!!!
Distrust Doesn't Hurt - Not As Much as Trust does! - me said first quoted at www echarcha.com
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

I find all horror films funny as hell
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

How does one rate a horror movie? For its thrills and chills? Or for its quality?

If latter then I should say '13B' and 'Kaun' (Is that the name of that Urmila alone in a house movie). Both had good plotlines... and the chills were scary... and the movie engrossing.

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Best Hindi Horror film?

Quote:
Here is the story of Gehrayee ...
saw this movie on YouTube yesterday....not scary at all...just tragic...but not as tragic as Nishant...that reminds me to start a new thread
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute

13B. :thumsup

Old May 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriprasad View Post
I bought VCD long ago ... inner tapes were destroyed by the time I got around to watching.
in your young days even VCD had inner tapes.

wow.. what technology yaar....
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post
saw this movie on YouTube yesterday....not scary at all...just tragic...but not as tragic as Nishant...that reminds me to start a new thread
Gehrayee was not your regular Bollywood horror where you see grotesque faces and body positions and really gory makeup. Nor were there the false tension build ups where the camera starts following a character and the background music goes 'Dhan tan dhan tan dhan tan' to add to the tension. And then when you are ready for the shock, they show some stupid cat running away or something.

I felt Gehrayee was a good treatment on the subject of occult and black magic. It was like a Ram Gopal Verma horror movie minus the additional masala.