eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Religion

Notices

Religion All religion related discussions...

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Use of Ingredients in our Hindu Rituals and Prayers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post
Nothing to add? Most of our members were Hindus ... I believed ...

Further to what I explained in my previous post....

Diya:
Diya…Light; this denotes knowledge. Knowledge wipes off ignorance, illuminating the inner self. This is why a lamp is lit in a Pooja room. When we bow down to God, we are also bowing down to the lamp/knowledge, the greatest form of wealth given to us by God.

Camphor:
When camphor is burnt, it burns itself out completely with out leaving behind any residue. God wants us to burn our illusions and wants us to be one with Him. Burning camphor signifies burning our illusions.

Pooja Ghanti:
The sound of Ghanti produces the sound of Om, the name of God. Ringing the bell also helps to wipe out all the unnecessary noise in homes/temples. This is why everyone in the temple would pay attention to God at least when Aarti (mangala Arati) is being performed.

Honey:
Honey symbolizes the sweetness of love. The lord Kama carries a bow, strung with bees, representing that love can also cause pain, however sweet it is.
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Rakhi,good explanation of the things here.Are you a part time punditian in some temple there like Paresh Rawal in the film Aa Ab Laut Chale

Again Paresh Rawal's image comes to my mind when I read some of Amthabhai's post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post

Diya:
Diya…Light; this denotes knowledge. Knowledge wipes off ignorance, illuminating the inner self. This is why a lamp is lit in a Pooja room. When we bow down to God, we are also bowing down to the lamp/knowledge, the greatest form of wealth given to us by God.

Camphor:
When camphor is burnt, it burns itself out completely with out leaving behind any residue. God wants us to burn our illusions and wants us to be one with Him. Burning camphor signifies burning our illusions.

Pooja Ghanti:
The sound of Ghanti produces the sound of Om, the name of God. Ringing the bell also helps to wipe out all the unnecessary noise in homes/temples. This is why everyone in the temple would pay attention to God at least when Aarti (mangala Arati) is being performed.

Honey:
Honey symbolizes the sweetness of love. The lord Kama carries a bow, strung with bees, representing that love can also cause pain, however sweet it is.
Old July 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Use of Ingredients in our Hindu Rituals and Prayers ...

Quote:
I will find out more about the clove ritual from my mom.

The explanation is as my understanding about various things used in a ritual. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
Rakhiji ... grateful to you. I will come back to read you later. You just confirmed what I have always believed ... our religion has survived due to spirituality and inner strength of our Hindu women. They are far superior to us men. Hindu religion would have vanished thousand years ago ... if it was not for our women.

Later ...
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Use of Ingredients in our Hindu Rituals and Prayers ...

Don't be offended but I will read your posts later.

Rekhaji ... this concerns me ... you write ... coconut should be broken before or after the prayers ... I had some prayers done few years ago ... but I kept the coconut with insignia of Lord Ganesa painted on it with Kunkoo/kumkum ... am I supposed to break it and not keep it?

You wrote: It is believed that coconut captures evil in it. After/before the pooja, breaking the coconut signifies destroying evil.

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:16 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Diya:

Camphor:

Pooja Ghanti:

Honey:
Rakhiji , I must say you really know these things deeply .

I must confess that not only I did not know the reasons why these things are done , but I did not even know that these things are done for a specific reason at all !!!!

Over the years I have just acepted these things as part of the religious rituals , without thinking as to why they are done at all.

Not that I am much into religion anyway.

Thanks for enlightening us........
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You wrote: It is believed that coconut captures evil in it. After/before the pooja, breaking the coconut signifies destroying evil.
Tantrics use coconut to capture evil spirit in it.... in pooja coconut is used for its water... considered to be pure as it comes nature packed.... used many times for abhishek also....

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:31 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I will find out more about the clove ritual from my mom.

The explanation is as my understanding about various things used in a ritual. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
Since you know all this stuff.....

How many times do you have pooja or religious ceremonies in your house per year ?In canada I mean.

Do you come from a religious family .....I mean are your parents similarly inclined ?

I am asking because you also start threads on ramayan and mahabharat and dharma and all .

Does your husband co-operate when you do all this ?

I dont want to go against your beliefs or anything , but to be honest I get bored when my mom starts any religious ceremonies and wont be able to handle it if my wife is excessively religious.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Question Re: Use of Ingredients in our Hindu Rituals and Prayers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
Tantrics use coconut to capture evil spirit in it.... in pooja coconut is used for its water... considered to be pure as it comes nature packed.... used many times for abhishek also....
BhaYaji ... so while I wait for Rakhiji's instructions ... do I go home and break it asap? It was used during prayers but I didn't know what to do with it ... so kept it, not knowing the significance.

Ashdocji ... once a month or couple of times a year ... is that such a hassle? People bend down and pray five times a day. Some people get dressed in formal attire to attend church every Sunday to attend mass. Why is once a month or couple of times a year such a big deal for us Hindus? Of course ... needless to add ... we are fortunate ... our religion doesn't impose itself upon us ... beauty of it is such.

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
... we are fortunate ... our religion doesn't impose itself upon us ... beauty of it is such.
Thats the drawback of our religion,just because there is no compulsion,no collective praying we are not in touch with our religion.
Muslims,christians meet atleast once a week and keep in touch.

I would say there should be a day in the week where it should be compulsory for hindus to attend the nearest mandir and take part in prayers that will keep us bounded and strong or we will one day be a chapter in history books around the world.
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Junior eCharchan

mayawati is infamous around these parts

I'll soon appoint dear sister suhasini as religious advisor to PM when I take office.

dear sister suhasini, I have seen your posts and I will open you with welcome arms. please respond soon
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BhaYaji ... so while I wait for Rakhiji's instructions ... do I go home and break it asap? It was used during prayers but I didn't know what to do with it ... so kept it, not knowing the significance.
If you already had the coconut for years, I guess nothing wrong in keeping it now...But I am not 100% sure about it, I will check with mom.
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Since you know all this stuff.....

How many times do you have pooja or religious ceremonies in your house per year ?In Canada I mean.
I don't get any religious priests come home to do ceremonies...We usually go to temple to get these things done.
But everyday in the morning, after shower, I make sure to keep fresh "theerth" in the pooja shelf and pray, even if it is for only 2 min's; A practice which I picked from my grand mom.

Do you come from a religious family .....I mean are your parents similarly inclined ?
My parents are not religiously inclined, but my grand-mom is, from whom I learn t a lot about religion, its significance and all that I said above in the other posts in the religious section.

I am asking because you also start threads on ramayan and mahabharat and dharma and all.
Well, after I relocated, I can no longer talk to my grand-mom as often as I would like to about all this...so all my questions/doubts/observations fall in EC

Does your husband co-operate when you do all this ?
He is OK with it. When we got married, he wasn't too keen on going to temples with me on weekends...now he doesn't complain. But I also make sure that I do not force him for anything. The only major change is that (when he is not working) he has to listen to the "Suprabhatam" as I play that after shower every single day...other than that, no major change for him.

I don't want to go against your beliefs or anything , but to be honest I get bored when my mom starts any religious ceremonies and wont be able to handle it if my wife is excessively religious.
Well, I do hope your wife isn't excessively religious ...these days many women aren't. Just like me, they make sure that their religious interests blend with their life style...
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:01 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Well, I do hope your wife isn't excessively religious ...these days many women aren't. Just like me, they make sure that their religious interests blend with their life style...
So you go to temples every week , eh , i mean weekend.

Though i do not want to ask too much, are you more religious than your parents?

If so, that would be an interesting case of the new generation being more religious than the older generation.

Also ,which temple you go ?
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
So you go to temples every week , eh , i mean weekend.
Yes, I do...if there is an emergency and I cannot make it at all, then its a different case.

Though i do not want to ask too much, are you more religious than your parents?
Yes, I am...which caught my mom by surprise.

If so, that would be an interesting case of the new generation being more religious than the older generation.

Also ,which temple you go ?
I go to the Balaji temple...but this temple is really far from my home (about 1 hour away). If my husband is not there to take me to there, I try and go to the closest one which is, Vaishnov Devi temple.
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:28 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
I go to the Balaji temple...but this temple is really far from my home (about 1 hour away). If my husband is not there to take me to there, I try and go to the closest one which is, Vaishnov Devi temple.
Thanks for the info, and do keep posting this stuff .......who knows you might convert non religious persons like me and even Saneless into believers yet.......