eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old February 4th, 2003, 05:46 PM
eCharchan

Location: Kya karna hain location se - subko savere jaana hain
saverewaligadi is infamous around these partssaverewaligadi is infamous around these partssaverewaligadi is infamous around these partssaverewaligadi is infamous around these partssaverewaligadi is infamous around these partssaverewaligadi is infamous around these parts
Why people spit before toilet (urine)?

I am seeing that when people go to restroom to do toilet they are spitting in urine pot before doing urine. Why is this? Only Indian are not doing this but many other people like Chinese are also doing this.

Laghushanka karne ke pehle kaai log pehle thookte hain. Iska kya karan ho sakta hain?
Kripya gyaan prastut karein.
Old February 4th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why people spit before toilet (urine)?

Quote:
Originally posted by saverewaligadi
I am seeing that when people go to restroom to do toilet they are spitting in urine pot before doing urine. Why is this? Only Indian are not doing this but many other people like Chinese are also doing this.

Laghushanka karne ke pehle kaai log pehle thookte hain. Iska kya karan ho sakta hain?
He is back and with a bang!!!
Old February 4th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Ha ha

Savere.. you really observe strange things..

Well I guess people want to see if their spit dissolves in their piss..

Dont know man.. but honestly.. to be fair to your genuine questions... I too have seen people spit ocassionally...
Old February 4th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute
Great observation

I also have seen this many times. But many people spit when they see some really dirty thing.
Old February 5th, 2003, 01:23 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
this one is quite interesting. let me tell you an old wives tale.
this may or may not be true but i was once informed that this practice has it's origin in superstition and the supernatural.

in countries like india and china it used to be customary to piss under trees. this is often still the case. there were stories that spirits inhabited the trees and would not take kindly to people pissing on them. there are stories of men being slapped by ghosts as they stopped to pee under trees!!

so the spitting( or coughing in some cases) is done to warn the spirit of what is to follow so that they temporarily vacate their spot to allow the man to piss in peace.

the chinese, like the hindus, believe that spirits can reside in the most unlikely of places and it is only polite to warn them in advance.

sounds logical to me
Old February 5th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

JustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by vakil sahib
this one is quite interesting. let me tell you an old wives tale.
this may or may not be true but i was once informed that this practice has it's origin in superstition and the supernatural.

in countries like india and china it used to be customary to piss under trees. this is often still the case. there were stories that spirits inhabited the trees and would not take kindly to people pissing on them. there are stories of men being slapped by ghosts as they stopped to pee under trees!!

so the spitting( or coughing in some cases) is done to warn the spirit of what is to follow so that they temporarily vacate their spot to allow the man to piss in peace.

the chinese, like the hindus, believe that spirits can reside in the most unlikely of places and it is only polite to warn them in advance.

sounds logical to me

Kya post hai aur uspe ye jawaab

Sone pe suhaaga.
Old February 5th, 2003, 04:47 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
but you must admit that the explanation i have given is plausible
Old February 5th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Yaar

this is really a good explanation.. because.. come to think of it.. I have seen some of my Chinese colleagues spit too....
Old February 5th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Quote:
Why people spit before toilet (urine)?
Same reason people pee before they poop. Most of these egestion processes come in pairs, with one following/preceding the other like Poop-Pee, Pee-Spit, Pee-Fart, Barf-Spit, Tears-BlowNose, Ejaculate-Pee etc.

Vakil Pai... if there really exists a Bhoot under the tree and you actually happen to pee on it, then kasam ganga maiyya ki, aap dubaaraa susu karnay laayak nahin rahogay. I mean think about it. If you are an invisible being with special powers, sleeping under a tree, and suddenly you are rudely awaken from your sleep by this warm, pungent stream of urine, coming from a weiner just an arms reach from you, won't you just bite that little thingie off?? Thus, your theory is turned down by the comittee for lack of convinving reasoning Please resubmit with more proof
Old February 5th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

Diplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond reputeDiplomat has a reputation beyond repute
If I were the Bhoot, I would be as much offended by the spit(signalling low quality, downgrade) as the urine!!!

Vakil's explanation not excepted

Old February 5th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why people spit before toilet (urine)?

Quote:
Originally posted by saverewaligadi

good question...saverewaaligadi

I believe that for some people its an involuntary reaction that the odor of urine is felt in the mouth and they tend to spit it out....for others who spit it may just be that they are imitating...another reason may be proposed that spitting in urinal bowl may be a safer bet than spitting in washbasin/sink as the later may tend to disgust other restroom clients
Old February 5th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute
we got a sign in our office restroom that says

"plz do not spit in the sinks...it is not nice"

so i guess itz not considered nice to spit in the sinks and hence the urinal bowl
Old February 6th, 2003, 08:19 AM
nayasavera

i think vakil sahib has a valid point. peeing under a tree can be seen as a three step process. first the person makes a noise with his throat. this will wake the bhoot up and he will make way so that the person can pee. the person then takes the second step i.e spitting . if the bhoot is still there, half-conscious, he would not like it. but he will be overwhelmed by the generosity of the about-to-pee person. the person made noise and spit whereas he could have peed the first time itself. the bhoot will make way. now the person pees. if the bhoot is still there, he deserves
it. the bhoot would be angry but on his own lethargy and inertia.