eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old June 21st, 2008, 04:12 AM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Question The Love Guru

OK. This movie releases during the weekend. Just curious to know whatís with the clamour initiated by a small section of bigots over the movie & terming the movie as offensive for Hindus? Why has a plain, good-spirited humour movie caused so much rabble rousing?

I hope thereís no ruckus created here in India, when this movie releases.

Folks who have managed to see the movie - first day first show, please post your unbiased review.

Quote:

Hindus upset over Hollywood film

Hindus in the US have started a protest against a Hollywood comedy, saying the film will hurt the religious sentiments of millions of Hindus worldwide.

More than 5,000 people have signed an online petition protesting against the film Love Guru, starring actor Mike Myers and due to be released on Friday.

Some Hindu groups are considering a boycott of Paramount Pictures which produced the film. Paramount says the film does not make reference to any particular religion. The company says Love Guru portrays a purely fictional faith.

In the film, Myers plays the main character, Guru Pitka - who is raised by gurus in an ashram in India and then moves to the US to seek fame as a self-help coach resolving the marital problems of a Canadian hockey player.

The film includes a character played by the British Iranian comedian Omid Djalili called Guru Satchabigknoba and a hockey player called Coach Cherkov.

'Mythical creation'

The argument that it's slapstick and farce rather than real religion doesn't wash with Hindu activists in the US.

They say that in the West so little is known about Hinduism that even a parody like Love Guru could be misinterpreted by teenagers and give them a skewed view of the religion.

"They should draw a line when it comes to people's faith," says Bhavna Shinde of the Sanatan Society in the US. She is upset that the main character wears sacred Hindu saffron robes and carries holy prayer beads.

Mike Myers himself has described the religion he lampoons as a "mythical creation - it's like the Force in Star Wars".

And Paramount Pictures have quoted the spiritual teacher Deepak Chopra rebutting criticism of the film based on only the two-and-a-half-minute trailer.

"The premature outcry against the movie is itself religious propaganda," said Mr Chopra.

'Hindu concepts'

But Bhavna Shinde is not convinced - indeed she says it's ironic the film company quotes a man who doesn't even consider himself to be a Hindu.

"We all know when you show a person with a sari and a mark on their forehead that will be associated with Hinduism." She argues that terms used in the film like "guru", "karma" and "ashram" are "signature Hindu concepts" clearly pointing to Hinduism. "Which other religion are they talking about?" she asks.

So far it's only the trailer that's caused concern - two Hindu groups in the US have complained that they were promised an early screening before the film is released but were never shown it.

In the UK, Paramount Pictures says it will arrange a pre-screening for Hindus before the film opens in August.

Hindu activists in the US have appealed to the rating body to change the classification for the film - which warns some material may be inappropriate for children under 13 years of age - to make it impossible for anyone under 17 to see it.

They've also written protest letters to the Indian Film Censor Board.

They say they would have been happy with some kind of disclaimer at the start of the film explaining that it is not a proper representation of Hinduism but complain their views were not listened to.

Link
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Love Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldude
Just curious to know whatís with the clamour initiated by a small section of bigots over the movie & terming the movie as offensive for Hindus? Why has a plain, good-spirited humour movie caused so much rabble rousing?

I hope thereís no ruckus created here in India, when this movie releases.

Folks who have managed to see the movie - first day first show, please post your unbiased review.
For such a biased post you still expect unbiased views?

Coolbhai ... its obvious from your post that you have no respect for my religion. Which is fine with me but don't call me a bigot just cause I do not approve of arsoles lampoon my faith for financial gains and in the name of entertainment.

What is good spirited humour to you is a personal insult to me and the faith I follow. I am a Hindu and proud of my faith. I do not approve that my religion is maligned to entertain people like you.

Coolbhai ... how is that for an unbiased opinion?
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know why, but Hollywood or for that matter all the film makers can lampoon any religion except dear Allah. Why? Why dont they make fun of Islam? Why cant they show The Love Guru to be The Love Mullah?

I am all for making fun and satire and comedy, of even our religion and deities. We have had many movies which show our Gods and deities in a humorous situation. Remember the Mahabharat farce scene in Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro?

What I am opposed to is the unfair share of lampooning towards just one or two religions. Why is Islam being left out? Are they scared of 'friendly misunderstood Muslims' who are not all 'bad terrorists' but just a misunderstood community?
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and remember the movie Black Friday? It was just a movie about the Mumbai bomb blasts and how Dawood Ibrahim and other gangsters were involved and how ISI helped in the plot.

That movie was immediately banned by Indian censors and government. For years the movie languished in closed reel boxes. Why? Just because the perpetrators were Muslim in the film? Just because all the real perpetrators portrayed in the film were Muslims? Why the fuck dont folks talk about this BIGOTRY???

Now will the Indian government show the same 'sensitivity' and censor or ban The Love Guru? No, I dont want it banned or censored. I know that my faith, my way of life, my Hinduism is pragmatic and much more mature and vast than so called 'misunderstood religions'.
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: The Love Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
I am all for making fun and satire and comedy, of even our religion and deities. We have had many movies which show our Gods and deities in a humorous situation. Remember the Mahabharat farce scene in Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro?

Sutradarji ... you are being biased ... and unfair ... Coolbhai insisted upon UNBIASED views or opinions. Kindly do check meening to world UNBIASED in the dicksionary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbhai
please post your unbiased view.

@ Coolbhai.

Old June 21st, 2008, 11:01 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Love Guru

Never judge a book by its cover. The same applies here. The above objecting folks who have raised a stink & voiced their prejudiced doubts over the movie have merely only seen the movieís 2 minute trailer than the movie itself. This does qualify as bigotry. Invoking religious passions. Such behaviour was only earlier associated with fanatic Muslims. Itís sad to read about our Hindu brethren behaving in such a manner. So Tantujee, do you wish to proudly associate with such folks? Fine. Its your choice.

I am happy not be among such fanatical people & the friends whom I know personally here donít have such religious zeal.

Read here what Deepak Chopra has to say about this unnecessary hullabaloo:

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/o...n_laugh_1.html

Just because no slapstick movies are made on Islam, are we justified to raise our voices when a light-hearted comedy is made based on our culture just for entertainment? The movie makers have already clarified that there is no mention of Hinduism in the movie & its just plain humour. So why this uproar?

Hinduism is too now gradually getting the tag of an intolerant religion, which isnít right.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Never judge a book by its cover. The same applies here. The above objecting folks who have raised a stink & voiced their prejudiced doubts over the movie have merely only seen the movieís 2 minute trailer than the movie itself. This does qualify as bigotry. Invoking religious passions. Such behaviour was only earlier associated with fanatic Muslims. Itís sad to read about our Hindu brethren behaving in such a manner. So Tantujee, do you wish to proudly associate with such folks? Fine. Its your choice.

I am happy not be among such fanatical people & the friends whom I know personally here donít have such religious zeal.

Just because no slapstick movies are made on Islam, are we justified to raise our voices when a light-hearted comedy is made based on our culture just for entertainment? The movie makers have already clarified that there is no mention of Hinduism in the movie & its just plain humour. So why this uproar?

Hinduism is too now gradually getting the tag of an intolerant religion, which isnít right.

ha ha ha ha... Where is Hinduism intolerant? Do you see riots or killings or brouhaha like it happened over a cartoon in the Danish newspaper?

And Deepak Chopra - since when did that Hollywood brown noser become any authority on hinduism? That idiot sells mumbo jumbo as spirituality to equally idiot Hollywood stars.

And no I am not asking slapstick humor on Islam. All I am saying is why make slapstick only on Hinduism?
Wah wah...
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:

Chopra ... I lost all respect for the man the day I watched him on Oprah something show. I am not in to TV and not much into movies either. But on this occasion I made an effort. I was disappointed to be kind. he used old browsing technique to explain Yoga ... I thought bullshit.

Now ... Coolbhai ... ... I feel like having been physically violated ... taken advantaged of ... you set a trap ... posted your own biased views and asked us to be unbiased ... not fair ... unfair.

This time you won ... next time I will be more careful. You know old adage ... you can fool me twice but only once.

Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

marvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond repute

I think the bigger question is, is it funny? All early accounts that I have heard and read point to NO! Even the trailers that I have seen on you tube are bad.

I'll save my money.

Beware of Bigots, especially the lying ones on this board
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Ruler of Middle Earth

compukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond repute

I would see that as a good thing.
When the goras think abt India/Indian religions, they think Love.
When they think abt Mullahlands, they think bombs

Quote:
I dont know why, but Hollywood or for that matter all the film makers can lampoon any religion except dear Allah. Why? Why dont they make fun of Islam? Why cant they show The Love Guru to be The Love Mullah?
What I am opposed to is the unfair share of lampooning towards just one or two religions. Why is Islam being left out? Are they scared of 'friendly misunderstood Muslims' who are not all 'bad terrorists' but just a misunderstood community?
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Watch "You dont mess with Zohan !" Your allah / arab fetish will be fulfilled
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty
Watch "You dont mess with Zohan !" Your allah / arab fetish will be fulfilled
i thought that movie is meant for poking fun at mossad and other israeli military services....i dont think anything against arabs/muslims would be in it...sandler himself is a jew so he might make fun of his relegion...

talking about love guru,these holly bastardos always create a wrong impression about hinduism.this gives people who dont know anything about hinduism to generalise stuff and rate hinduism as a phoney relegion..and they exhibit it vulgarly
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares about hinduism when the hindus themselves dont take it seriously ... we have more branches of the same hinduism than any other religion ... This movie has taken one aspect (if any) or added one to it ...
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanfanabhi
i thought that movie is meant for poking fun at mossad and other israeli military services....i dont think anything against arabs/muslims would be in it...sandler himself is a jew so he might make fun of his relegion...

talking about love guru,these holly bastardos always create a wrong impression about hinduism.this gives people who dont know anything about hinduism to generalise stuff and rate hinduism as a phoney relegion..and they exhibit it vulgarly
Did you watch it ? I did. It pokes fun at Isrelli/ Paletinians / Arabs / Hamaas / Hezbolla and your other fav. terrorists.
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Thumbs up Re: The Love Guru

I am glad that the movie opened to paltry audiences.. Check this part of the box office collection report
Quote:
In its opening weekend, the film took in just $14-million, well short of the $20-million forecast by many Hollywood analysts and opened at No. 4. Get Smart, with Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway, raked in $39.2-million to debut as the No. 1 movie.
New York Times had the best line in their review. Serves that duffer Mike Myers right!

Quote:
No, ďThe Love GuruĒ is downright antifunny, an experience that makes you wonder if you will ever laugh again.

More here