eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old July 20th, 2003, 04:51 PM
A proud Muslim FULLSTOP!

loverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these parts
bhopal incident 1984

i know it is a painful reminder of what happened, but i didnt knew anything in detail until i saw a docu on it today, they showed how different mistakes led to the tragedy...
however i didnt see the whole docu, so i m not sure if they blamed someone, but what do u think who was 2 blame for it? were it westerns or indians (i.e. ppl working there)....
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:42 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute
It was the Westerners and also the Indian Government . The company in-spite that the factory was a serious health Hazard failed to implement the needed safety regulations which led to the tragredy . Recently DOW chemicals took over Union Carbide and there was a move to boycott DOW . There is a InterPol warrant against the CEO but still nothing has been done . He still enjoys his life in NewYork ..
The Indian Government doesnt care for its citizens . this was just one example of it .. Its good I am out of the country .
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:34 PM
Senior eCharchan

Bro has much to be proud ofBro has much to be proud ofBro has much to be proud ofBro has much to be proud ofBro has much to be proud ofBro has much to be proud ofBro has much to be proud ofBro has much to be proud ofBro has much to be proud ofBro has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by JaiSpeaks

The Indian Government doesnt care for its citizens.
....and perticularly if the effected people are poor....
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:51 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
I remember

from long ago when I was reading a book on Graphical User Interface design and Usability. They had mentioned the Bhopal Gas tragedy.

I was surprised to read a reference to it. The book said that the gauges and dials which showed the critical gass pressures were not very clearly marked and nor was the design very intuitive. This led the operator to not be alarmed when the actual gas pressures had risen beyond safety levels.

Whatever the reasons for the tragedy, one of the major culprits was this non-intuitive gas gauge.
Old July 21st, 2003, 03:16 PM
A proud Muslim FULLSTOP!

loverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these partsloverboy260 is infamous around these parts
Re: I remember

Quote:
Originally posted by echarcha
from long ago when I was reading a book on Graphical User Interface design and Usability. They had mentioned the Bhopal Gas tragedy.

I was surprised to read a reference to it. The book said that the gauges and dials which showed the critical gass pressures were not very clearly marked and nor was the design very intuitive. This led the operator to not be alarmed when the actual gas pressures had risen beyond safety levels.

Whatever the reasons for the tragedy, one of the major culprits was this non-intuitive gas gauge.
there is a site www.bhopal.com (or if it dont work then search thru google and u shud find a similar url) it tells us that the company which owned the "plant" is not to b blamed as indian govt had all the control of the plant and they designed everything,
the docu told us these mistakes that were made:
1. no maintenance to the gauges and dials and machinery
2. the cooler that would have cooled down the MIC was shut down
3. they didnt use this safety procedure to isolate the pipes before cleaning (cuz the accident occured when water got to the MIC)
4.this thing (dont know what to call it) which was there so that if any gas escapes it will escape thru it (the purpose of that thing was to neutralise that gas which will accidentally escape, was shut down

didnt the people working at that plant knew of the dangers of what would happen? didnt they knew it was a dangerous gas, so they should have paid some attention to the guages..... lets hope nothing like this ever happens again!