eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old April 3rd, 2016, 07:36 AM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashdoc's hindi movie reviews

Again, my reviews are basically,...just chit-chats and many a times I also know that it will be in oppose to the general public views n' opinions,.... I don't post them on many webs ( unlike you, as a picture-perfect article ) just at 1-2 places as chit-chat rather,... If I had to pen a review keeping in mind and balancing the common viewers' stream's mind and mentality, ( so that, I look always right ) which will look quite reasonable, sensible and balanced,.. I can do that, but then again,... it's hurting me,.. that,.. what the fakkk,.... I never felt so about the movie, while watching,... and I am doing injustice to myself,..

But the fact is, somehow I was bored with the movie and did not like it either as a comedy, art or as a commercial movie and was yawning....!

Double the profit
: Again, you are saying, which all grocery store owners desis are always saying in the USA, ( ridiculing us, who are doing jobs ) that we make 300 percent profit on many items,...

But hello,.. those items are 1 cent and 5 cent value candies,.. you buy for 1 cent and sell for 3 cents, sure you made 300 percent and double the profits,....but still after selling 50 such candies and other such items in an hour, your per hour minting rate is only 10 dollars a hour,.. whole normal earner from the rest of the community make 45-65 dollars an hour,..
So? 300 percent and double the profit matters, but it also most importantly matters - On What amount ?

Last edited by Jagmohan; April 3rd, 2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:50 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

1920 Evil returns

The perils of seeing a horror movie in a virtually empty theater......

........No one beside you to hold your hand when you are supposed to shiver in terror......

I experienced that today......

And presumably the producers and distributers are experiencing the perils of virtually empty theaters too.....for it means the movie is a FLOP......

And the joys of seeing vulnerable delicate young girls like Tia Bajpai being persecuted by evil exploitative men.....I experienced that too today.......

In fact this is the third time I experienced the joy of Tia Bajpai being harrassed by bad men after her performance in films like HAUNTED 3D and LANKA.....

.......And I must say she has perfected the act of a cute young girl held in bondage by lusty men or spirits against her will---so much so that I would like to see her being exploited.....err , persecuted by more men in other films in future......

So her cuteness arrives at Aftab Shivdasani's sprawling house near Shimla in the state of being possessed by a spirit that has taken over her body.....

And Aftab falls in love with her much to the chagrin of his sister ( played by Vidya Malavade ) and Tia too reciprocates......

But Aftab is still brooding for the loss of his ex lady love whom he has loved through letters but has never seen---a fact that prevents him from consummating his and Tia's romance in bed ( though it does not prevent him from planting a sumptuous kiss on Tia's lips )......

And Tia's body may have been taken over by the spirit , but her mind and most importantly her heart still beats for a long lost love.....

It is upto Aftab to pull her out of the ghost's malignant influence.....

So can he do that ?? And who are the past loves of Tia and Aftab ? What is their impact on the storyline ?? Go and watch the film for that.......if you can.....for I didnt feel it was particularly great......

The first half is decent with some chills and shocks that make your hair stand on end.....

But the second half involves exorcism of the ghost from Tia's body......and inspite of all the howling and screeching sounds coming from her mouth and all the jumping and pumping up and down of her body , you dont feel terrorised at all......

Aftab looks decent enough with a stubble that makes you feel that he is still pining for his lost lady love of real life---none other that Esha Deol (no , she's not in the film and now she's dumped him and married Bharat Takhtani )......

Photography and the setting of the film in the time of British rule in 1920 is really good---all candlelights in grand and dark mansions and coaches driven by hairyhooved healthy horses.......

But I still was not particularly impressed.....

Verdict---not good .
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:32 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Phantom

The moment I read that most reviewers were panning this movie for it's so called ' jingoistic ' tone I knew I was going to watch the movie . The mafia of reviewers of the liberal variety usually gang up against any movie that shows Pakistan in a poor light , and them attacking such a movie is like showing a red rag to a bull---the bull being me....once they criticize it , to me it is a sure shot signal to watch the movie....

So what is the so called 'jingoism' in the movie ?? It is the fact that Indian intelligence agency RAW decides to take a unilateral ( without permission of the government ) decision to kill those involved in the terrorist attacks on Mumbai in 2008---a terrorist attack planned and executed by Pakistan . What caught the goat of the liberal critics was the fact that instead making an India Pakistan bhai bhai film , a film showed the Indians having the spine to take revenge on the perpetrators of terrorist attacks who originate in Pakistan .

So a disgraced Indian ex army officer who is suitably a patriotic muslim is chosen---Daniyal Khan played by Saif Ali Khan , and he is 'phantom' the one who does not exist for the mission is unauthorized and therefore is nonexistent in theory . Helping him is a Zoroastrian female ex RAW agent ( Nawaz played by Katrina Kaif ) . The film is based on the novel 'Mumbai avengers' by S Hussain Zaidi . His other book on terrorism ' Black Friday ' has already been made into a film .

The movie moves at an electric breathless pace in the first half---from London to the United states to Syria....and it deals death ( at least cinematic death ) to those involved in the Mumbai terror attacks . And straightway I must say that it has been slickly made....a little too slick perhaps , for the lower classes will not identify with the style of the film . But the educated classes will like it's style , and will of course empathize with the message of the film---that India should take revenge for those who dare to terrorize it , and that revenge should be taken America style....just like America sent it's agents into Pakistan to kill Osama Bin Laden , India should also kill the masterminds of terror by going into Pakistan....

Yes , the second half of the film is in Pakistan....and the stakes are higher for the movie directly targets the terror kingpins . And as the stakes are higher so are the dangers involved....
In the midst of all the higher stakes and greater dangers a subtle romance begins to develop among the lead pair.... but no romantic songs or kisses , only one or two brief moments of tenderness---for they have their task to complete....

Indeed there are no songs or dances---or rather they are left incomplete in the film....maybe I will be able to listen to their complete versions on youtube , for I thought that one or two of them had some potential to be worth listening....

And where is the jingoism....I found none of it....Does saluting a person who killed a deadly terrorist who perpetrated terror on your country qualify as jingoism ?? There are no chest thumping scenes or loud patriotic songs like in other movies , no heavy duty dialogues or raving and ranting against Pakistan . Indeed , sane Pakistanis who realize how the cancer of fundamentalism is fast eroding their society are seen co operating with the RAW agents---no wonder the film has been banned in Pakistan , for if right minded Pakistanis decide to heed the message of the film then the whole Pakistani establishment would crumble....

So does the mission get completed in the film ?? Watch the film for that....
The film frankly admits in the end that none of the terror kingpins have been brought to book---so the film is all fiction and fantasy....
But what is wrong in indulging in your fantasies for a while ?? Since I come from Mumbai and the terror attacks occurred in my city , I found this particular fantasy of a film well worth indulging....

Verdict---Good .
Three and a half stars .
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:53 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

There was a separate thread for the whole concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
I have been hearing that from some Indians and now they have a movie called "Phantom" made on it.

Basically, it is trying to argue that "lf America can enter Pakistan & take OBL down, why can India enter Pakistan & take Dawood or Hafiz down?"

I think only foolish Indians will support such an argument. The more foolish ones will make a movie from it and make money from the less foolish brethren.

Please share your opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:09 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
There was a separate thread for the whole concept
in fact i have already reviewed it for EC . i am posting reviews which i wrote when i was out of EC but i forgot that this one i wrote after coming back .

http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44775

anyway nothing wrong in posting it again since no response was made to my earlier thread . at least this post got a response from you .
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:22 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

^^
You could also respond to the other one. It is more on the concept than the movie.
I sort of derailed it saying Peacepai's post sounded more like that of a Pakistani and Peace Pai justified on why it is not.
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Phantom

The moment ..............hould be taken America style....just like America sent it's agents into Pakistan to kill Osama Bin Laden , India should also kill the masterminds of terror by going into Pakistan....
their complete v film well worth indulging....

Verdict---Good .
Three and a half stars .

Just got a chance watching this movie in a a good Bluray quality,.....

Your review is just excellent and right on the Money. I totally agree, India should show some spine and follow the same what US did for Osama.

Movie is a better and aggressive version of Black Friday, and also somewhat similar to Agent Vinod of Saif, but still a lot better than it,...... due to its subject matter, topic and link-continuity, without being disturbed by actress's glamour and naach-gaan..

Story and plot holds you in your chair
and I liked the movie nearly as much as I had liked the movies like Baby, Drishyum nad Bajrangii Bhai jaan.

Summing up,.. Liked the movie, it runs, in it continuity without any force-fitted love songs, or any unwanted love scenes,... etc

I had ranked this one at 3.65 / 5.0
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:52 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
^^
You could also respond to the other one. It is more on the concept than the movie.
I sort of derailed it saying Peacepai's post sounded more like that of a Pakistani and Peace Pai justified on why it is not.
i have several posts on that thread .
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:50 PM

Saw those now. They happened before I worked on derailing the thread.
Old April 10th, 2016, 01:39 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Saw those now. They happened before I worked on derailing the thread.
even afterwards---

http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showpo...9&postcount=45

http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showpo...1&postcount=46
Old April 10th, 2016, 01:46 PM

^^
Lol. Now that's focus. I was so engrossed in the discussion with Peace Pai (and a couple of other ones with Dove Pai) that I was Oblivious to other discussions.
Old April 11th, 2016, 05:56 AM
senior echarchan

Welcome to Karachi

Pakistan---a land bristling with guns of all calibre....
Where it is easier to get your hands on bullets than it is to get life saving medicines....
Where the boom of gunfire and explosions of bombs are easier to be heard than the celebrations of firecrackers.....
Where a happy event like a marriage is heralded by fire from automatic rifles....
Where every Tom Dick and Harry is in possession of a deadly weapon.....
Where children are taught to play with guns rather than toys since childhood....
Where rocket launchers and Stinger missiles are available like vegetables on the market....
Where having a kalashnikov like an AK 47 is considered necessary for sheer survival....
Where Americans play deadly cat and mouse games with the barbaric taliban and the murderous ISI....
Where drones attack militants from the air picking them off one by one....
Where the pathans are in hate filled rivalry with the mohajirs and the baluch lust for the blood of the punjabis....
Where minorities like hindus and sikhs have long been ethnically cleansed to near extinction....
A land prowled by thugs and thieves and terrorists and murderers....
A where suicide bombers are a dime a dozen....
The most dangerous country on earth....

And the most dangerous place in the most dangerous country is the port city of Karachi....
Where rival gangs play deadly games of death....
Where treading on the territory of another community ( like a mohajir going into pathan territory ) is tantamount to be given the death sentence....
Where every few days a massacre of innocents ( is anyone in pakistan innocent really ? ) is unleashed....
Where anti India anti west and anti Israel hatred is a mark of citizenship....
Where roadside and drawing room conversations discuss whom ( India or the west or Israel ) to nuke first....
Where kidnapping is a regular pastime....
Where wolves in the shape of human beings roam the streets searching for prey...

It is remarkable that Bollywood has so far kept mum on the unspeakable horrors that inhabit Pakistan---proof of the hold that the islamic mafia of Dawood Ibrahim ( based in Karachi what else ) has on the hindi film industry....

But one day someone is going to show the truth on celluloid....and that day has arrived....
At least Vashu Bhagnani has the guts to call a spade a spade and show the reality of Pakistan , though it is shown in a comic manner....

And the comedy starts when two dumbos ( Jacky Bhagnani and Arshad Warsi ) are washed off the shore of Karachi when their ship coming from India gets swept away in a storm....
Their arrival is heralded by a huge bomb explosion and the name of the film 'Welcome to Karachi' explodes into view through the smoke ; and such a spectacularly explosive welcome sets the tone for the rest of the film....
For throughout the rest of the film the two are seen only dodging bullets and rockets and bombs when they are not firing them....
And they are caught continuously in the crosshairs of warlords and criminals and terrorists and goons and politicians and whatnot....

The two Indians first try to hide their identity ( being identified as Indian brings certain death in Pakistan ) , then hunger takes over and they search for food....but the food packet they steal contains a pistol ( what else did you expect in Pakistan---food !!?? ) and that pistol leads then to a baluch gang....from here straight to the Afghan border to get training for jihad ( training for jihad is like training for school exams in Pakistan---every self respecting Pakistani has to do it )....then some more bomb explosions ( these explosions happen every few minutes in the movie ) ....then being caught in the crosshairs of americans after being chased by unmanned drones flying in the air....but the americans have no use for them and they are set free like a pack of wild dogs to try to reach their destination....

And their destination is their motherland India what else....
But you feel no sadness for the plight of the two---for their antics and those of the Pakistanis around them are enough to keep you in splits throughout the movie....
Jacky Bhagnani wins the dumbness contest by a fair margin , cheering for India in cricket matches in front of Pakistanis almost inviting their wrath , asking for vegetarian food ( he is a vegetarian of the gujarati Patel community ) thus revealing his hindu ( being hindu is unofficially a crime in Pakistan ) identity , and depending on Arshad Warsi for everything....not that Arshad Warsi is far behind in dumbness , as he shows by abusing pathan sportsman Shahid Afridi in front of pathans and nearly getting killed in the process....

In the midst of all this the dumb duo start rounds of gunfire between rival embassies of enemy countries due to their foolishness , give birth to a pregnant woman's baby with help of vaccum cleaner , dance with half naked girls in parties ( a Bollywood must , even when located in Pakistan ) , and save passengers who are about to be killed by the eternal scourge of Pakistan---terrorists....
And they never lose their cool or their hope or their zest for life....and give us entertainment by raising laughs in every situation....

In the end it becomes a little too tiresome---the stupidness of the antics , the jokes in the movie ; but what really tires you out is the endless violence in Pakistan !!
But before that tires you out , you get to see some funny situations and some mindless entertainment....
All frivolous but keeping you engaged....
The songs and music and cinematography is nothing special , but acting is good by everyone...
The Pakistanis in the film never look menacing inspite of all the machinery of destruction they carry , and some characters like the mullah Nasrullah who is leader of the taliban are really funny...
And the women in the film are beautiful , like they really are in Pakistan---one good point about their country....

The liberal lobby of reviewers of various media houses have been howling against the film because it shows the truth about Pakistan , and knowing their credentials I decided that if they are howling so much against the film then I must watch it....and so I had my little dose of fun...

So why don't you show the middle finger to the hypocrites by watching the film....

Verdict---decent .
Three stars .
Old April 20th, 2016, 12:49 PM
senior echarchan

English Vinglish

Beautiful actresses mature like old wine---they look better as age catches up with them . Just look at Hema Malini.....

But what about acting skills ?? Do they get better with time ?

THEY DO !!!....That is , if Sridevi's performance in this film is anything to go by....

......For not only she puts up a magnificient acting performance but it is she who holds the film together for a whole two and a quarter hours as she takes us through a range of emotions---first mild contempt at her lack of english speaking skills , then sympathy for her plight , then increasing pride at her bravura attempts to learn the language , then the sweet smell of romance ( aha !! )as she begins to bond with a guy and then adoration as you sit spellbound in the cinema hall watching her acting prowress......

She's the archetypal Maharashtrian Indian woman bound to tradition and family and old customs---to the point of having to bear unquestioningly the taunts from her pesky daughter who forever has a chip on her shoulder about her mom's english speaking skills---or her rather lack of them.....

But freedom comes in the land of the free....!!!

As she lands in New York for planning a wedding without her family she decides to learn english.....

Its time to meet new friends from different places across the globe---whites , blacks , pakistanis , French and even gays.....

And its time to get attention of a Frenchman ( who else wouldn't leave even a married fortyish woman alone ) and its time to seek success.....

But her world---her family---is not far away.....ultimately an typical Indian woman cannot forget her roots her home and her hearth.....

But when they meet her again---do they meet a changed woman or not ??

I am not telling---go to the cinema hall and find out for yourself.....I did and with happy results....

The movie is full of politically correct messages---friendship between Indians and Pakistanis , beginnings of love between a white gay and and a black gay man....

Now which of the other yesteryears actresses are gonna make a comeback ??---I dont mind having wet dreams ( again !! ) of ladies I used to fantasise in tenth standard in school.....

Verdict---Nice , real nice .
Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:20 PM
senior echarchan

Aurangzeb

The success of telling a complicated tale on celluloid lies in being able to successfully bring all the complications to an end whether good or bad , and being able to tie up all the loose ends of the story at the climax . The more convoluted the story becomes , the more difficult is this task---and the ability of the director can be judged by his capacity to make the viewers understand the movie amidst the complications .

Aurangzeb is such a film . It does not have a simple plot but unfolds in a complicated way until it feels overstretched at one point , but the director does help us make our way through the story .

So what is the connection with Aurangzeb , the controversial Mughal emperor who still provokes debate among historians as to whether he was good or bad ?? Is the title , grandiose as it is , justified ??

The Aurangzeb connection lies in the fact that some characters in the film are ready to kill even their relatives in their greed and lust for power in a manner in which Alamgir ( as Mughal emperor Aurangzeb liked to call himself ) would have applauded----for he himself killed all his brothers in his bid for the throne.....

So whats the story ?? Aahh !! here come the complications.....

To try to make it sound simple , Arjun Kapoor plays the double role of twins separated in young age . One lives in poverty with his mother and the other is the arrogant heir to his father's multi crore illegal empire . But the enemies of his father plot to replace his heir with his twin who is their agent and will help to bring down the father's empire .

But as expected , the plot loses its simplicity as the replaced twin begins to have respect his father ( played by Jackie Shroff ) and decides to dump his father's enemies for whom he was working earlier . But those for whom he was working earlier ( Rishi Kapoor and Prithviraj Sukumaran ) are no losers either and they are not going to give up on him so easily.....

Another problem is that the heir's girlfriend played by the delicious Sashaa Agha ( Salma Agha's daughter ) falls in love with his replacement and he begins to feel the same for her.....
.......For she is worth it ; all light eyes and pink skin and soft flesh---she has it all....
.....And not only she has it all but she displays it all by going about half nude in sizzling bikinis and revealing clothes , and kissing Arjun and dancing with abandon.....

The list of problems grows as the movie progresses , and new twists and turns are added to the plot.....In the end its time for those who have conscience to stand up for their ideals to confront those who are unscrupulous and fight for what is right.....

All we can say is---may the righteous ones win.....Amen to that !!

So do the righteous people win ??

Go and watch the movie for that.....It does throw up some interesting situations along the way.....

Arjun Kapoor does act well in both roles , but Jackie looks tired in the movie . Rishi Kapoor does a decent job of acting , but what about his expanding girth....
Prithviraj Sukumaran does play his role of an a forever unsmiling police officer in a gritty manner fit for his character in the film .

What I liked was the fact that the name Aurangzeb has somewhat negative connotations in the film---a negativity that is being erased in our history books to appease some ' peaceful ' folk . And coming from Yash Raj films which is a bastion of appeasement , its a feat unto itself....

Verdict---decent .

Last edited by ashdoc; May 3rd, 2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Welcome to Karachi

So why don't you show the middle finger to the hypocrites by watching the film....

Verdict---decent .
Three stars .
And this one also gets a ghanta award.