eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old June 26th, 2015, 10:15 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Movie reviews of some off beat films that I saw recently

Ishq kay parindey

'Ishq kay parindey' ( The doves of romance ) is a Indo Pak love story set in the city of nawabs---Lucknow . Embellished with soulful music and poetry , the film truely showcases the royal culture of Lucknow .

Unlike other Indo Pak love stories where the religious angle is important , here it is not ; both the hero and the heroine belong to the same religion . But the hero Faiz ( played by Rishi Verma ) is an Indian who makes it clear in some dialogues that his loyalties lie with India , while the heroine Sheen ( played by Priyanka Mehta ) is a Pakistani .

SHEEN !! The name brings Kashmir in mind....for in the kashmiri language sheen means snow , and there has already been a film on Kashmir called Sheen which was made in 2004 ( I have reviewed it ; search for the review if you want ) . However in the arabic language sheen means beautiful .

If Sheen is taken to represent Kashmir , then director Shakir Khan has played a deft hand indeed....for Sheen who comes from Karachi in Pakistan is fond of saying that even in Pakistan she used to say that she was half Hindustani ( Indian ) because she had relatives in India . And now that she has come to visit India , she never intends to leave ; she is in love with the land and it's people---heartwarming stuff for Indians indeed....

And she is in love with an Indian too---for the director effortlessly weaves an old fashioned romance between Faiz and Sheen ; old fashioned because it starts with love letters sent on kites and carrier pigeons before Sheen takes the lead in giving her mobile phone number to Faiz . And the romance continues amidst the old world charm of Lucknow , in the picturesque locales that dot the city---Rumi Gate, Bara Imambara, Hazrat Ganj, Sheesh Mahal, Qaiser Bagh, Begum Hazrat Mahal Maqbara, Residency, Jehangirabad Palace, Sultanat Manzil, Dada Miyan Dargah, Teelewaali Masjid and many others .

The relaxed mood which the romance puts you in is heightened by the lovely songs and beautiful poetry in the film , with dialogues laced with the urdu language . The photography of the green countryside and historical monuments is good too , with shots of doves flying in the air....

And frankly , I never wanted the spiel of romance to break ; I wanted to soak in the romantic atmosphere and go to sleep with dreams of romance....
But beyond dreams is the real world , the the real world consists of some cruel people....Sheen has to come to terms with the fact that the pacific Faiz has a brother who is a gangster....and she cannot come to terms with that fact !! For she has come to India to escape the endemic violence in Pakistan that has claimed the lives of practically all her relatives there , and is not mentally prepared to live with Faiz's violent relatives .

So she prepares to marry another man , leaving Faiz shattered....

So does she marry another man ??
Or are we in for the Romeo and Juliet of the 21st century , given the violent propensities of both her new fiance and Faiz's relatives ??
Watch the movie for the answers....

I particularly liked the soulful songs and fine poetry of the film , and it's nice photography....but the beauty of the heroine Priyanka Mehta was worth a watch too--large blue grey eyes and silken pink skin....
Acting was decent by everyone .

The message of the director is---peace....peace between India and Pakistan , peace for the lovers immerse themselves in love , peace for Kashmir---if Sheen indeed is meant to represent it....
And unlike the trend today , the director is not shy of saying or at least hinting that India is a better place than Pakistan....that did make me a little bit happy....and biased me in favour of the film....

Verdict---decent .
Three stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:19 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie reviews of some off beat films that I saw recently

Coffee bloom

'Coffee Bloom' is set in the lovely coffee plantations of Coorg , a mountainous and scenic region of penisular India . And the cinematographer does justice to the scenery in which the film has been shot , by showcasing the verdant land full of lush greenery and lakes and beautiful forests . One gets in to a relaxed mood on seeing the superb landscape , and does not want to see any trouble break into this paradise....

....But trouble does come , in the form of a troubled young man ( Dev Cariappa played by Arjun Mathur ) who has a permanently skewed expression on his face . His life has gone off course years ago , after his elopement with his girlfriend was derailed by her parents and she was separated from him by brute force . He then sold his coffee plantation in Coorg in a fit of frustration and retreated into renouncement of the world altogether to try to become an ascetic . But the death of his mother forces him to face the real world , and he realizes his mistake in selling the lush green coffee plantation that was family property . And he comes back to Coorg---the land of his ancestors , the land where he grew up , the land with so many childhood memories...to try to reclaim the land .

And what does he come face to face with in his land ?? His woman....or rather his ex girlfriend Anika ( played by Sugandha Garg )....It is her husband who owns the plantation now , and he is known as Vas ( actually Vas is short form of Srinivas Panicker , played by Mohan Kapoor ) . Vas is a jolly good fellow who may be a nice guy but has little in the way of brains . He dreams of having a coffee bloom in his plantation without any technical knowledge of growing coffee and hires Dev the coffee growing expert , not knowing that it is Dev's former land....

Hmm....Dev's former land and Dev's former woman---Vas is in possession of them both....And Dev is determined to get them both back , by hook or crook....and sparks fly between Dev and Anika , who looks good in chest hugging and cleavage baring tops....but the situation is complicated by the entry of the Bengali woman who loves Dev , and who outmatches Anika due to her buxom figure and her full body and her wet saris and her sleeveless blouses....

So who what happens next ?? Will Dev get his land and his woman and his revenge over his wrongs and his life.....will he get them back ?? What about the innocent Vas who is not party to any of these secrets ?? What is the role of the bengali woman in all this ??

All the actors act out their part well , but the best acting is by Mohan Kapoor . He puts joi de vivre in his role , endlessly yak yaking from his mouth and seeming like a genuine person . You really feel sympathy for his character , completely oblivious to the storm brewing around him while he is dreaming of brewing coffee !! Compared to him , Dev ( Arjun Mathur ) looks like a selfish and self centered person constantly brooding over past wrongs . Anika maintains her composure even though she is caught between two men , Sugandha Garg has acted that role well . Ultimately it is the Bengali woman who urges Dev to do what is right....

I was pleasantly surprised by the lovely locations and breathtaking scenery of the film , the acting of the actors , and the good direction and storyline , and above all by the fine ending !! And I was happy that there are little gems to be discovered in the world of film making and this film is such a gem....
There is only one song and it is hummable , and the music is good and apt for the situations .

One day I hope to visit Coorg ; but if I can't then I will watch it in this film....

Verdict---Good .
Three and a half stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:20 PM
senior echarchan

Jigariya

Agra---famous for the world's most iconic monument for love , the Taj mahal built by mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory for his lost wife Mumtaz mahal....and therefore a fit setting for some old fashioned no holds barred romance that seems to have happened in another age....

....But that age still lives in India , for this story is supposed to be actually inspired by true events that probably occurred in the 20th century....

So we head towards the state of Uttar pradesh where Agra is situated , to those backwaters of India where practical matters rarely rule young lovers' minds like they do in modern cities like Mumbai/Bombay and Delhi , and people are ready to do and die for love....

.....And where such stories exist , there ashdoc goes---for somewhere inside me there is the heart of a hopeless romantic....
I could not watch this movie in the theatres when it was released a few months back , and all my efforts to get a DVD/VCD of it failed for the simple reason that the film has not been released in that version....so I was forced to watch it in youtube , where a grainy video of the film exists....

So Shyamlal Gupta ( Shamu---played by Harshvardhan Deo ) is the son of the owner of a sweetmeats shop . He is a wastrel---fails in college repeatedly , does not help his father in the shop , and spends his time idling the time away with his good for nothing friends . His only passion is creating poetry , a talent in which he excels and in which he is really original---to the point of dreaming of becoming a writer . But one day he lays his eyes on Radha ( played by Cherry Mardia ) , the goodlooking daughter of a rich man .And he falls in love with her . Showing an enthusiasm which he rarely shows in studies and work , he chases her rentlessly with the help of his friends till he locates her , and then claws his way into her house by winning the admiration of her grandmother using various tricks . Radha is initially reluctant to befriend him , but he is helped by a stroke of fortune----she turns out to be a aficionado of poetry just like him , and she is so impressed by his poetry that she gradually falls in love with him .

And then life gets the soft and endearing glow of requited romance....a romance that is played out in the magnificent monuments that the city of Agra possesses ; historical monuments that are the legacy of the rule of mughal emperors who had made Agra the capital city of their sprawling empire . It happens in the shadow of the Taj , and in a fashion which the emperor Shah Jahan would have approved....Shamu sits on an imaginary throne with a rose in his hand in the fashion of the great mughal , and Radha dances in front of him as if she is a dancing girl dancing in front of a mughal emperor ; and at the end of her performance , the emperor of her heart bestows her with his rose....needless to say , such scenes are possible only when both lovers are fond of poetry....

Uptil now , the film had a lighthearted tone and was full of funny scenes ; but suddenly the movie became intense as reality strikes....and that reality is all too familiar to people in these backward parts of India---the girl's family comes to know of the romance , and predictably they are appalled by their daughter's love for a person of a status that is not equal to them....
To be honest , I must congratulate the director for not showing violence being unleashed at this point ; for the situation was ripe for that . Ultimately the violence does come however , though only towards the end....

So what happens to the romance of the two lovebirds ?? Can it overcome all the obstacles to fulfil it's destiny ??
Watch the movie for the answers....I waited a long time to see a pathetic quality video of this film on youtube , but still felt that it was worth it....
And unless the film comes on TV , only that video is available for watching it....but those who have yen for romance as well as poetry will not regret watching this film .

The director and the actors excel in showing passion of love , a passion that may seem far fetched for those with practical minds ; and passion that can make the lovers cross the threshold of the impossible....but that passion seems fit in the shadow of the world's most iconic monument for love---the Taj mahal , what else....
Photography and music is good , and acting by everyone is good too .

At the end of it all , my only wish was that the film should have had a happier ending . But the film is supposedly based on a real life incident , and reality is always grim....so sometimes is life !!

Verdict---Good .
Three stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:22 PM
senior echarchan

Dozakh in search of heaven

''It is in the the midst of conflict that I found my peace''....or rather , I found my entertainment....
Nothing interests me more than films about religious conflict ; I never fail to watch a film that shows religions in rivalry with each other , it is cinematic heaven for me....So as soon as I heard about 'Dozakh in search of heaven' , I went to the multiplex in search of this nirvana...err heaven...

It deals with the story of a mullah who lives in a town near the holiest of holies for hindus---the city of Varanasi , called Benaras by the local people . The town where the mullah ( played by Lalit Mohan Tiwari ) lives is separated from Benaras by the mighty Ganges river .

But the gulf between the religion of the mullah ( Islam ) and the religion of the majority of the people around him ( Hinduism ) is greater than the width or the depth of the Ganges . Daily the mullah competes with the priest of the neighbouring Hindu temple to produce the maximum noise during morning prayers .

But his son Jan Muhammad ( played by Garrick Chaudhary ) , fondly called as Jaanu is too small and innocent to understand the differences between religions . He is fascinated by the Ram leela ( play enacting the Hindu epic Ramayan ) that is enacted by the neighbouring hindus , and takes part in it as the character of Hanuman the devotee of the Hindu God Ram . He has a friendship with the priest of the Hindu temple who gives him food and teaches him about Hindu customs and rituals . All this is not liked by his father , who beats his own son occasionally for the perfidy of partaking in Hindu habits .

But Jaanu continues his interest in Hindu customs and is convinced about the superiority of the Hindu custom of burning the bodies of the dead compared to the Muslim custom of burying the body . He develops a phobia of being buried in a dark grave after his death , and tells his father innocently that he does not want to be buried but rather would like to be cremated after death .

The crisis of the movie occurs when the boy loses his mother in an accident . He does not want her buried , and tries to dig her out of her grave after burial . Above all , he really believes the Hindu priest's story of the holy river Ganga ( Ganges ) being the mother of everyone , and begins to think that if he dives into the Ganga he might be able to meet his lost mother....

So what happens next ?? Where will the path taken by Jaanu lead him to ??

The path taken by the innocent Jaanu and the mullah's decision to do as Jaanu would have wanted it to be , will make the fundamentalists of both religions hang their heads in shame....

The movie is embellished with some fine acting performances by Garrick Chaudhary as the sweet little boy Jaanu and Lalit Mohan Tiwari as his father along with Ruby saini as the mother and Nazim Khan as the Hindu priest .
Editing however is rank sloppy , and voice synchronization with lip movements is not at all correct . This is because of the shoe string budget of the film . All this does not take away from the film's message and emotion . It has already won awards in film festivals and justly deserves them . However it will be liked only by the art movie lovers .

Verdict---Very decent .
Three stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old August 9th, 2015, 01:43 PM
senior echarchan

Desi kattey

The state of Uttar Pradesh---rustic heart of the real India....

And at the banks of the Ganges river is a small town which is the center for the manufacture of home made revolvers known as 'kattey' in plural....

......For the 'katta' plays an important part in the politics of the region....

The 'katta' revolver can hold only one bullet at a time , and has to be reloaded to fire again.....but sometimes it gets damaged in one firing itself and cannot ever fire again....sometimes it explodes while firing in the hand of the person holding it.....now isn't that uniquely Indian !!

.....That's what I felt on seeing this film----even though my native state is not Uttar Pradesh , after a long time of seeing films with glamour made in glitzy locations I felt that I was in the real India ; in my land , among my people !!

And the photography made me feel even more so---photography of the river Ganga flowing serenely through the evergreen countryside ; photography of bridges over the mighty river being crossed by overloaded railway trains which are the lifeline of the nation....

In this town are born and bred two inseparable friends---Pali and Gyani....
They learn to live fight and eat together....and naturally they become expert in the art of firing the 'katta' revolver which has made their town both notorious and famous....

And as they grow their expertise in firing guns and fighting foes increases and so does their friendship.....
And they believe they can't do without each other....

Opportunities beckon people with such remarkable skills---for the ganglords of the region notice their talents and give them a chance to work for them.....
And as the ganglords turn into politicians the power and aura of the deadly duo increases....

It's a life of crime---of pumping bullets into their bosses' rivals and punching hard those who offended their masters....a life of deadly games with death and vows of everlasting vengeance....

But somewhere in the heart of one of the two ( Pali ) is a gentleman and a romantic.....for who other than him would dare to fall in love since childhood with an older woman who has been used and abused by a dozen men if not more( played by Tia Bajpai of woman-getting-exploited roles fame )and then proposing her and marrying her.....

It seems life has set a course of violence for the two of them....
.....Until an an army major ( played by Sunil Shetty ) comes to them with the idea of using their astonishing skills with the gun to win medals for India in distant lands and in international championships....a life of respectability and success....a life of firing pistols of international quality instead of inferior homemade revolvers....
And to add to the rewards he has a delicious sister ( played by Sasha Agha ) with smooth pink skin and light eyes who looks good enough to eat , and who begins to like Gyani....

As hard training using the new high class weapons is being enforced on them by the major , at the same time the gangland boss ( played by Ashutosh Rana ) wants to make the two his partners in his multi million rupee business as enforcers....

So on one side is a life of ambition and normalcy with the major who wants the two to become sportsmen....
And on the other is what the two dreamt of becoming all their life before the major and his delicious sister came in their lives ....
On one side is the glory of triumphing with medals carrying the the nation's flag in the whole wide world....
On the other is the fear and power of becoming crimelords of their own little corner of the world....

And it is left for one of the two friends to choose one kind of life and the other to choose the other life....

So who chooses which type of life ??
What happens to their inseparable friendship ??
Does the underworld let go easily of it's tryst with them ??

The movie has melodious musical score sung well by the redoubtable Kailash Kher .
And it has some emotional scenes towards the end---of friendship , of love ; and of holding steadfast to that love and friendship in the midst of betrayal....

Acting by Akhil Kapur ( as Pali ) and Jay Bhanushali ( as Gyani ) was not good in the beginning and this fact was compounded by their weak voices . But as the movie moved on their acting improved and became better---just in time for the emotional scenes....

And as the scenes turned emotional the movie looked better , because even in the midst of emotion it was never short of some gun toting action....

Stayed true to it's name....

Verdict---I quite liked this story of innocent old fashioned actionpacked friendship set in the not-so-innocent 21st century .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:12 PM
senior echarchan

Roar !! Tigers of the sundarbans

Where there is ambition there is effort to achieve that ambition , and if the effort yields results ashdoc is there to applaud---especially if the effort is a film....

So I launched myself into seeing director Kamal Sadanah's ambitious film---Roar !! Tigers of the Sunderbans....

So what are the Sunberbans ??
They are the forests straddling the Bengal region of the Indian subcontinent where the Ganges meets the mighty Brahmaputra river to form the largest delta on earth---a region crisscrossed by thousands of rivulets and canals and inhabited by scores of animals including the Royal Bengal tiger . Bengal also has the famous white tiger , and though the Sunderbans region does not contain any white tigers it is a white tiger who forms the core of the story....

A young photographer goes to photograph tigers and stumbles upon a white tiger cub from being poached by poachers , only to save it and bring it to his camp . But the tigress mother thinks that he has snatched the cub and attacks and kills him . The photographer's brother ( Pandit ) swears revenge on the tiger and forms a team of like minded individuals who descend on to the Sunberbans like a pack of wolves to kill the tiger....

Of course , the premise that it is right to kill a mute animal for fulfilling the lust for revenge is as corny as hell---whatever be the sin of the tiger....
But it is a premise that propels the story forward , and as the story turns interesting you forget the silliness of the premise....

So Pandit and his swarm move into the tiger territory of the Sundarbans despite the warnings of the female warden not to do so---and they move in on motorboats carrying the most sophisticated arms and gadgets like automatic rifles and infrared detectors and parachutes propelled by engines and whatnot....

And they also move in with the most sexy women possible....

AAAHH !! The women....
One is the tracker ( Jhumpa ) whom they have hired for showing the tiger tracks leading to the tiger...
The other ( CJ ) is an important component of the expedition....
So who is more sexier of the two ??
Of course , Jhumpa does try her level best to entice us by spraying her legs apart at the head of the boat and wearing skimpy navel exposing clothes and dancing sensuously at a tribal dance....and she is pretty good too...
But it is CJ who scores because she has more bouncier tiits and a more protruding butt....
And is it because Jhumpa cannot equal CJ in delicious charm that CJ is killed early in the film to let Jhumpa fulfill her role as heroine of the film---I found myself mourning for CJ's early exit from the film...when was I going to see those bouncy tiits again....??

Back to the story....
As Pandit and his team moves into core of the tiger sanctuary into territory from where no human has ever escaped before, they begin to find that their technowizardry is not a match against the forces of nature....
One by one the tigers begin to kill the members of the hunting party....
All the tricks they employ to trap tigers fail and it is the hunters who become the hunted....
The tigers are being helped by other animals in the forest , like crocodiles and poisonous snakes....
And even humans are against them too---for the leader of a gang of tiger poachers wants to get them bumped off , and Jhumpa who has been fooled into thinking that the group had come to photograph tigers realises the truth and is hellbent of stopping them from murdering tigers....
The odds seem stacked against the hunting party....And that seems to be divine justice ; punishment for embarking on such a spiteful mission of killing a white tigress mother who was only trying to protect her cubs....

So does the group succeed in it's mission to kill the white tigress ??
Or does it perish in the wilderness ??
Go and watch the movie for that....

The movie is embellished with some great photography and visual effects---photography of green dense forests and wide rivers and of golden sunsets and misty dawns ; visual effects of ferocious tigers pouncing upon their unsuspecting prey and crocodiles lunging undetected from ancient rivers and of snakes snaking around in the undergrowth and biting those who trample on them....
I dare say even Hollywood would not be ashamed of such cinematography and special effects....

The action scenes seem authentic and the firing of modern weapons by able bodied men seems real....
Also real is the almighty roar of the tiger in the film---enough to put the fear of God in you...
Acting by everyone lacks depth , but such a film does not require any great histrionics....
Music is only so so....
But the film does have an emotional core , and does build towards an uplifting climax...

So does the film mark a personal triumph for director Kamal Sadanah after all the misfortunes of life ( his father producer Brij Sadanah shot dead his mother and sister and then committed suicide 24 years ago after his sister's engagement party ) ?? A coming of age as director after not succeeding as an actor ??
That is question only the audience can answer by making the film a hit or flop at the box office....

Maybe Kamal can take leaf from the Bhagwad gita which says---you should only do your task ; should not bother about fruits of the actions....
And as far as the task is concerned , one can say that Kamal has put his best foot forward....

Verdict---The film rip roaringly delivered , at least for me....

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:19 PM
senior echarchan

Fireflies

I went into the theater to watch Monica Dogra.....Ever since I saw her in 'Dhobhi ghat' I was hooked onto her sensuality , her anglicized manner of speaking hindi , her charm and her class....

But I came out of the theater wanting to see another beauty again and again in her next films---Shivani Ghai , who did the amazing feat of outmatching Monica in all those departments , though only by a slight margin....

For those interested in the male species ( women I mean ) , there are two goodlooking hunks too---for Vinod Khanna's son Rahul has turned out to be a fine looking man , and he is given serious competition by the man who plays his brother ( Arjun Mathur ).....

Acting wise , the film scores too---for all four have put up commendable performances , and are especially exquisite in acting out scenes of pain and anguish .

But the mood of the film is dark , and the climax really does not lead anywhere....

Inspite of this , the film keeps you engaged throughout while you are watching it , and the sensuality of the women and chemistry they have with the men goes a long way in keeping you engaged....

It's a 'Hinglish' film---which means the characters come from hindi speaking backgrounds but speak in english in most parts of the movie...

The dark mood of the film is due to the fact that the relationships of both the pairs are not working out . And also due to the fact that the two brothers don't like each other , their animosity increased by a tragedy that occurred years ago .

The two brothers don't like each other because Rahul is more successful , and what is worse is the fact that he is acid tongued and forever hurling taunts at his younger brother---just like he hurls at everybody else , especially his wife....

Yeah , Rahul's marriage with his wife is on the point of breaking down---and this fact puts him forever in a foul mood....until he meets Shivani Ghai , whom he had loved and lost earlier....
And old flames are rekindled....
Why wouldn't they be , considering the delectable charms of Shivani.....
But Rahul's wife , who is more upper class than Rahul , reacts with anger and refuses to divorce him---leaving him frustrated to the point of desperation....

On the other hand , younger brother Arjun falls like ton of bricks for the succulent charms of Monica Dogra , who exudes sensuality in every shot . But she has the baggage of the past haunting her , and his relationship with her goes nowhere....

Having reached the crossroads of life and going through difficult times , both brothers land at the same spot where the tragedy that created a rift among them had occurred years ago....

So what happens next ??
Can all the relationships which are breaking down everywhere in the film be re-established ??
Watch the movie for that....

The director creates a world of breaking relationships , and what doesn't help the cause of the relationships is the fact that the people involved are highly independent---though they all obviously need each other....

But the ending of the movie , though coherent , is not uplifting.....and is the weak point of the film....
The songs are in english too , but nothing great about the music....

What saves the film are the fine performances by the cast....

Verdict---Okay .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Once in 10 blue moons I get to see a movie
I really envy Ashdoc
Old August 15th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Junior eCharchan

Memento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud ofMemento Vivere has much to be proud of

Ashdoc, nice list and reviews of off-beat. Not only do I watch movies based on your reviews, but sometimes also recommend to others authoritatively without watching and they in turn recommend to parents back in India. Word-of-mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Once in 10 blue moons I get to see a movie
I really envy Ashdoc
I too envy, but more the ability to write such reviews. Chance to watch so many movies... I don't know.. does it take some pleasure away from the watching if it is done with intent to also write a review? And, if watching more than 2-3 in a week, does it remain 'watched a film'... Kind of like a book-lover becomes a librarian..?

Anyway, imponderables aside, ashdoc's reviews take me back to the good old times of watching Siskel and Ebert.
Old August 15th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Banned

Mihir15 is on a distinguished road

hee hee.

Bambayi ka martahi maanus, hamre pyaare doktor Bhaiya, Mr Ashish Diwakar ( can find his real photos by google searching and been posted on 'defence' and many other web pages )
apne, dawa-khaane mein general practitioner jo thehre,
subah ko patients ko inspect karte, shaam ko karte,
bich me jo time bachta,
har roj ek nayi movie ki gulli maar dete...

hai ki nahin bhaiyaa?

kiya me zhooth boliya? Hargeez nako. Muje aadat hi nahee.. hee hee..
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:04 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento Vivere View Post
Ashdoc, nice list and reviews of off-beat. Not only do I watch movies based on your reviews, but sometimes also recommend to others authoritatively without watching and they in turn recommend to parents back in India. Word-of-mouse.

I too envy, but more the ability to write such reviews. Chance to watch so many movies... I don't know.. does it take some pleasure away from the watching if it is done with intent to also write a review? And, if watching more than 2-3 in a week, does it remain 'watched a film'... Kind of like a book-lover becomes a librarian..?

Anyway, imponderables aside, ashdoc's reviews take me back to the good old times of watching Siskel and Ebert.
rarely do i get such acclaim on this forum , so cynical it's members are....i guess it will take you time to become a typical cynical echarchan and NOT praise someone even if he is good

yes , it does take away the pleasure of seeing a movie because i have to remember certain points which i form in my mind while i see the movie . in the end while writing the review i realise that i have forgotten half the points i had made in my mind while watching it....!!
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:06 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihir15 View Post
hee hee.

Bambayi ka martahi maanus, hamre pyaare doktor Bhaiya, Mr Ashish Diwakar ( can find his real photos by google searching and been posted on 'defence' and many other web pages )
apne, dawa-khaane mein general practitioner jo thehre,
subah ko patients ko inspect karte, shaam ko karte,
bich me jo time bachta,
har roj ek nayi movie ki gulli maar dete...

hai ki nahin bhaiyaa?

kiya me zhooth boliya? Hargeez nako. Muje aadat hi nahee.. hee hee..
you forgot the most important point . i am unmarried

and only an unmarried man would have the time to see the number of movies i do
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:11 PM
senior echarchan

Bandook

'' Meri bandook koi napunsak ka luund nahi hai , yeh uthati bhi hai aur chalti bhi hai '' ---said by Aditya Om playing Bhola Kewat.....

The rural hinterland of Uttar Pradesh---heartland of the planet's largest democracy.....

But does democracy really work here ?? No....What works is the power of BANDOOK---the gun.....

The gun decides who enjoys the fruits of power in elections or not.....and it is the gun which gives a man respect and standing in society......

.......For the gun gives power......and in a brutalized and illiterate society a man without power is nothing......

......And not only a man without power is nothing , but he can be crushed and humiliated in a thousand ways.....

Bhola Kewat learns this the hard way......

For he is tied like Jesus Christ onto a cross and physically mutiliated in revenge for a minor misdemeanour.....

But a police inspector waves gun and the crowd which was baying for his blood submits Bhola to him.....

And just as the inspector is about to rape him in the police station ( yeah the inspector is a homo ) Bhola is saved by another man with a gun.....

And when Bhola returns home to beat his father to pulp for not having tried to save him , he is told that he is not his son really---he is the son of an upper caste landlord who slept with his mother to produce him , a crime for which the father beat the mother mercilessly to no avail.....

......This is the baptism by fire for Bhola......

And uptil now we have already heard and consumed a mountainload of gaali galoch that sets the tone for rest the movie.....for this was just the beginning......

Yeah , dont bring a woman anywhere near this theater for seeing this movie unless she is used to being verbally abused on a daily basis and does not mind......

......For the censors have given a real leeway as far as the language in the movie is concerned.....

But all the language and suffering is worth it for Bhola Kewat.....

For having learnt the lesson of the gun hard , he joins a gang and sets about ruthlessly establishing his awe with the help of the gun......

And he shows that he has the brains as well as the brawn to aim a gun , shoot to kill and also to rise in hierarchy of the gang by earning the respect of his seniors.....

Of course , he has to shamelessly eliminate quite a few rivals , but that's part of the game---the deadly game of death.....

......For the rivals are planning to eliminate him......

But he is gentleman at heart really , if anybody can be at all in his situation and place.....

For when he sees a beautiful woman who has been raped , he saves her from further humiliation.....

And lo !! the beautiful woman falls in love with him---springing the most unbelievable romance in the unlikeliest of situations.....

An oasis of peace and tenderness in an ocean of war and cruelty......

And Bhola begins to care for her deeply---his love increased by the fact that she is a deaf mute and cannot tell even her name ( she remains nameless throughout the film )......

But outside the oasis of peace is the strifetorn world.....a world which says that the deaf mute woman has broken all rules of caste by living with bhola.....

And dangerous enemies and even more dangerous friends are plotting and planning to rid the earth of Bhola's burden.....

Its a real jungle out there.....and Bhola knows that there is at least one gun and one bullet out there that is marked for him.....the rule is to live for the moment.....not to worry what is in the future....

So does Bhola get to survive ?? And does he manage to save the woman he loves from the clutches of society ??

Go and watch this movie for the answers......

Part ruthlessly actionpacked and part tragic , the movie is garunteed to make an impression on your heart.....

The performances by all are riveting and the atmosphere of rural UP well created.....

.......And even though it has not been flamboyantly publicised like other films of the same genre like ' Gangs of Wasseypur ' , it ranks no less than those movie in my opinion.....

Verdict---solid .
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Banned

Mihir15 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
you forgot the most important point . i am unmarried

and only an unmarried man would have the time to see the number of movies i do

If I were ashdoc...

Jab woh Dia Mirza theater pe dikh gayo tho, to fir jaane hi kyun diya?

haath pakad kar, French kiss maar ke bol diyo hoto, Bol tuh muj se shaadi karti hai ki nahin ! Tuje karni paregi,
I am your biggest fan,
Balaji ne Bandre(sonali) ko pakad mara thaa,... tu kuya cheez hai re, saale firangii German ki aulaad,..

aur, pakad kar utha kar seedhi ghar le aayo hoto.. whacky:

Diya tuj bin zindagi jiya, toh bhi kya jiya !
and, Andheri raat me, Dia tere haath mein -- hoti aaj.

Hee hee

Last edited by Mihir15; August 15th, 2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old August 15th, 2015, 02:04 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihir15 View Post

If I were ashdoc...

Jab woh Dia Mirza theater pe dikh gayo tho, to fir jaane hi kyun diya?

haath pakad kar, French kiss maar ke bol diyo hoto, Bol tuh muj se shaadi karti hai ki nahin ! Tuje karni paregi,
I am your biggest fan,
Balaji ne Bandre(sonali) ko pakad mara thaa,... tu kuya cheez hai re, saale firangii German ki aulaad,..

aur, pakad kar utha kar seedhi ghar le aayo hoto.. whacky:

Diya tuj bin zindagi jiya, toh bhi kya jiya !
and, Andheri raat me, Dia tere haath mein -- hoti aaj.

Hee hee
yeah , i am dia mirza's biggest fan . i have watched her movie ' rehena hai tere dil mey ' umpteen times.and my favourite pastime is watching women in backless blouse. here is dia in one---