eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Senior eCharchan

Randheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slum Dog Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
As I said, yes we have poverty and yes we need to bring it to attention of common man and cinema is a very effective medium. However, some producers and directors think of India as a way to portray poverty and all kinds of gloom and doom and win Oscar awards.

Films which show a particular situation and bring about change are very much appreciated. There was this old movie called Naya Daur with Dileep Kumar. It was about bringing machinery to do things faster and better. How the movie interwove the social situation, employment and machinery into an entertaining film was the right message to the society.

However, very few Naya Daurs have come about. If you remember some recent films by Nana Patekar, like Ankush which gave a message about how violence is not an answer to all social ills like thugs and mafia have been effective.

But a certain section of the so called intelligentsia think that showing shitty situation of India and then just discuss it via films is a great message to the society.

Wrong! I have not seen much of Satyajit Ray but one thing I know is that all fucking West Bengal based artistic people are communist to the core and always think differently than what is the common good.
Very good post Charcha Pai !!! ,you have said all that i wanted to say. All Nana Patekar Movies in 1980's and early 90's have some messages. Same with Manoj Kumar movies like Upkar,Kalyug aur Ramayan etc. Even Subash Ghai and Manmohan Desai's movies use to have lot of subtle good messages.

What kind of crap these so called Art Movies preach and show.

The Bengali and Mallu communists,Pinkos,leftists won't for a second realize what will happen if they show same kind of crap in their dream Communist Country the great People's Republic Of China . An AK47 will be shoved down your as*** instantly.

So if you make your people turn communist you should ensure that You have a dictatorship like China otherwise people get spoiled like Mira Nair.

Last edited by Randheer; January 2nd, 2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

And there is this dialog where they show a crowd beats a muslim child and the child says to the American tourists, "You said you wanted to see real India, this is real India". See the producer/director/scriptwriter get away so easily after showing all this.
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Senior eCharchan

Desa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari View Post
And there is this dialog where they show a crowd beats a muslim child and the child says to the American tourists, "You said you wanted to see real India, this is real India". See the producer/director/scriptwriter get away so easily after showing all this.
I think this is just your perception to see it as hindu-muslim angle. First of all, it was not the crowd but only the driver who trashes the child although there was no evidence to the tourists that this child was involved in stealing the parts of car. Moreover, we don't know what was the religion of the driver. What I got from that scene was that he was refering how a powerful would try to supress the weak in India. Also I remember(though not sure), he showed his middle finger, meaning to hell with courtesy to all you tourist - this is what I think about you.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desa View Post
I think this is just your perception to see it as hindu-muslim angle. First of all, it was not the crowd but only the driver who trashes the child although there was no evidence to the tourists that this child was involved in stealing the parts of car. Moreover, we don't know what was the religion of the driver. What I got from that scene was that he was refering how a powerful would try to supress the weak in India. Also I remember(though not sure), he showed his middle finger, meaning to hell with courtesy to all you tourist - this is what I think about you.
Desa Bhai !! Do not see a scene in isolation. Look at the sequence of events. And then a general message. The name of the boy is Jamaal. Why not Kishan?

Anyways, I think argument is futile.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Randheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Desa Bhai !! Do not see a scene in isolation. Look at the sequence of events. And then a general message. The name of the boy is Jamaal. Why not Kishan?Anyways, I think argument is futile.
You have said a very valid point but you are unable to explain it. I will explain for you. These Leftists/Missionaries and even Jihadi Front supporters are very good in passing on Subtle messages of Persecution and Mal treatment. These subtle messages are more dangerous because in the eyes of whole World and the innocent receiver it appears that the message transmitter has acted in the most transparent and honest way while he would haveacted as the most cunning way possible

Just regularly watch NDTV 24/7 particularly English one. You will slowly realize how much they hate Hindus and even India but in how subtly they pass on the message acting max neutral.

Another example some body if he has seen Time Now. Arnab Goswami is a hidden Congressi but how subtly he passes on messages in favour of Congress while appearing totally Neutral
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Senior eCharchan

Desa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Desa Bhai !! Do not see a scene in isolation. Look at the sequence of events. And then a general message. The name of the boy is Jamaal. Why not Kishan?

Anyways, I think argument is futile.
Then look at the whole movie. Main villian was Javed bhai (Mahesh Manjrekar), who is Muslim and also there was no justification of why he became that way. Jamal's brother was Muslim too - another evil character although he redeems himself at the end. Just that you want to see it through religious glasses.
BTW lets make the main character Kishan and show that his mother was killed by muslim fundamentalist. Now see the story in this context. It might be true. It could happen. Does it mean that movie shows that Hindus are prosecuted in India?
I think religion has pretty much nothing to do in this movie. It's just a story about a poor guy who is about to win Rs 20 million and how events are related to his life.
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then look at the whole movie. Main villian was Javed bhai (Mahesh Manjrekar), who is Muslim and also there was no justification of why he became that way. Jamal's brother was Muslim too - another evil character although he redeems himself at the end. Just that you want to see it through religious glasses.
BTW lets make the main character Kishan and show that his mother was killed by muslim fundamentalist. Now see the story in this context. It might be true. It could happen. Does it mean that movie shows that Hindus are prosecuted in India?
I think religion has pretty much nothing to do in this movie. It's just a story about a poor guy who is about to win Rs 20 million and how events are related to his life.
Oscars is nothing but a trade show like many trade shows in other industries. You have plumbers trade shows where all sorts of products are displayed and the best new innovative devices and techniques in plumbing get awards and publicity.

Oscars is just like that. A trade show. I dont know why everyone's underwear gets into a tight knot over a trade show!

As for movies like Slumdog Millionaire, its been an Oscar tradition to always highlight some movie which has NO entertainment value in the commercial cinema sense and one which shows some persecution of someone somewhere.

You will never see a commercial movie which entertains millions around the globe in the Oscar list. Try viewing Moulin Rouge or Chocolat and tell me if you were entertained! So we have slumdog this year. Good storyline because a minority child in slum lands of India gets a chance at life and how he is crushed at every step. Wah wah. What realism? Wah wah, this is what we go see movies for!

So I dont get worked up at all. Hollywood is infested with extreme leftist loony bins anyways. If you see old Hollywood films on Turner Classic Movies or other channels, and turn to any war time movie, it was always shown that USA was right and the Germans and others were evil. It was good too see such movies just like our old Hindi films where there was a national emotion and good feeling. You saw our heroes beat up the bad guys.

Now you have movies like Rendition and Eagle Eye which only tear down America's justified war on terror and keep criticising US authorities for taking a tough stance against terrorism. Now there is one more Hindi movie to be released called 'New York' starring John Abraham and Katrina Kaif. Youtube for promos. Its again about how America persecutes Muslims just because they are Muslims!

Look at our Hindi films of recent years. Earlier there were movies where heroes like Sunil Dutt were shown going to war with Pakistan, then we had Sunny Deol going to war with Pakistani terrorists. Now you have movies which show how Pakistanis are good after all. Check Shahrukh's Main Hoon Na for an example. No more are our neighbours our enemy since 1947 but good souls as the film Veer Zara shows.

Despite the recent terror attacks in Mumbai, I am sure there are atleast 2 to 3 films in the pipeline where we have to have Pakistani characters and we have to show how good they are.

Film industry - whether in Hollywood or Bollywood - is the same these past couple of decades: liberal to the extreme, always shouting persecution of Muslims, never patriotic. Patiotism is considered jingoism

So dont be surprised if foreign Oscar only film makers show Hindus sacrificing Muslims as a daily ritual. Dont be surprised if Hindi films show how we are wrong and Pakistan was correct in attacking Mumbai. After all we are getting too rich and progressing too fast. We need to share our wealth with our 'younger brother' Pakistan and for that we need to go back to the stone age too.

So folks, I really dont care for such crappy movies with zero entertainment value.
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
No... it shows more realistic picture of the terrorists.
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Slum Dog Millionaire

Saw the movie yesterday on its first day of release in my city. Still have some of the unforgettable scenes hovering in my head even now. Poignant, gritty & blatant in its depiction of poverty & the related crimes that occur routinely in my city.

Glad that a director finally took the pains to make such a brilliant masterpiece on the life of a slum underdog who comes up gradually in life growing up in the mean slum-laden streets of Mumbai. Seeing his mother getting killed by merciless rioters followed by getting lured by the beggar mafia & then trying to get back his lost love. The movie has it all in its portrayal of Jamaal Mallik the slum grown contestant occupying the hot seat of “Who wants to be Millionaire?” & giving the right answers one after the other as most of the questions asked are related to past incidents of his life. The movie goes through the series of flashbacks in Jamaal’s life & how he finally made it till now.

The last reunion scene at CST station is truly heart rending. Danny Boyle has brilliantly crafted this flick & depicted the triumph of humanity in today’s world. Kudos to the entire crew of the film. Worthy of the awards & recognition it has achieved till date.
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One of the best movies I have ever seen. Good storyline, well directed, well-acted, well everything. Absolute must-see.

Try to see it in theater and not in crappy online print, its worth every penny.
I agree with you. I loved this movie. I still cringe when I recall a few scenes in the movie. I am not surprised that it has got so many awards including the Gloden Globe.
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got to see this movie in a packed house full of europeans and americans. Did I like the movie? Yes I did, but I won't go overboard with praise. I liked the way flashback melted seamlessly into the narrative. I liked the story, It never bored or dragged at any point. Protagonists gave good performance. Kids were amazing and lovable. Direction was really good and I hope it'd win oscar in that cartegory.

Now what i didnt like? It certainly followed the stereotypical imagery of India in west except the spiritual part- which was so subtle that many seem to have missed that. Anil Kapoor initially was too loud(I never liked loud AK like in Taal)..... Background score was inconsistent...amazing at some point and banal at other.....movie was a little too dramatized...maybe to keep in sync with indian movies...but ending could have been a little better than so potboiler-ish one.

Add: Did I tell that firangs simply loved this movie....some of them clapped at the end which reminded me of back home....A girl had read the novel too and she was so happy that movie didnt disappoint her. I felt bad during some scenes and there yucks and urrghss mixed with laughter in those scenes. That jumping in the shit scene completely took me aback...I thought he'd throw the picture down...surprisingly firangs kind of expected that and started yucking even before he jumped.

Last edited by chitrala; January 30th, 2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the warning that I should not watch this movie while eating, Chitralekha pai.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
Finally got to see this movie in a packed house full of europeans and americans. Did I like the movie? Yes I did, but I won't go overboard with praise. I liked the way flashback melted seamlessly into the narrative. I liked the story, It never bored or dragged at any point. Protagonists gave good performance. Kids were amazing and lovable. Direction was really good and I hope it'd win oscar in that cartegory.

Now what i didnt like? It certainly followed the stereotypical imagery of India in west except the spiritual part- which was so subtle that many seem to have missed that. Anil Kapoor initially was too loud(I never liked loud AK like in Taal)..... Background score was inconsistent...amazing at some point and banal at other.....movie was a little too dramatized...maybe to keep in sync with indian movies...but ending could have been a little better than so potboiler-ish one.

Add: Did I tell that firangs simply loved this movie....some of them clapped at the end which reminded me of back home....A girl had read the novel too and she was so happy that movie didnt disappoint her. I felt bad during some scenes and there yucks and urrghss mixed with laughter in those scenes. That jumping in the shit scene completely took me aback...I thought he'd throw the picture down...surprisingly firangs kind of expected that and started yucking even before he jumped.
Glad you got your share of entertainment. Did you also get the message that Muslims in India are routinely killed, treated like shit and humiliated at every step by the majority evil Hindus and are deprived of an opportunity to succeed?
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Glad you got your share of entertainment. Did you also get the message that Muslims in India are routinely killed, treated like shit and humiliated at every step by the majority evil Hindus and are deprived of an opportunity to succeed?
But isn't that implicit. Aren't Muslims around the world routinely killed, treated like shit and humiliated at every step by the majority evil Whatever and deprived of an opportunity to succeed?

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
*****Spoiler Alert*****

Did you notice the evil one of brothers always kept saying "God is great"(shown offering namaz also) and died with those very words on his lips and the protagonist was never shown practising his faith rather believed in fatalistic hindu philosophy?

Add: All the major evildoers except the rioters in the movie were muslims, be it his brother, mamman or Javed Khan.

Last edited by chitrala; January 30th, 2009 at 02:03 PM.