eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old July 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Sarkaar - Ram Gopal Verma, Amitabh and Abhishekh really deserve success

Over the 4th of July weekend I saw two movies. Let me review the first one as I really liked it and Ram Gopal Verma deserves success.

Sarkaar - starring Amitabh and Abhishekh Bacchan.

The opening credits clearly state - "Many directors worldwide have been influenced by The Godfather and this is my tribute to that inspriation - Ram Gopal Verma"

The moment you see this you know the movie is about The Godfather. Then apprehension sets in that RGV must have made a totally melodramatic Hindi masala film with songs and dance. You wish you had not come for the film.

The credits are over and you are hooked on from the first scene.

The opening and most of the story line is totally from the original Godfather, but I must commend Amitabh, Abhishekh and Ram Gopal Verma (RGV) for doing a superb job.

There are no extra and unwanted dialogues, there is no gory violence but the implied violence is quite chilling, there are no songs in the movie and there is no excess emotional melodrama. The villians look real and dont dress up funny with stupid facial makeup like 'bad man' whats-his-name used to wear.

There are two South Indian actors in this movie - One is the commissioner of police from Ab Tak Chappan who is shown to be corrupt. The second is seen for the first time in Hindi and his character is called "Silver Mani". This guy is hilarious. His line - "Style total South, but Operation total North" is quite funny.

Amitabh has really done a great job. No loud gestures, no overly melodramatic dialogs. Abhishekh, silent and understated, says much more than he could have had he been made to be the typical - "Kutten main tera khoon pi jaunga" types.

The editing is brilliant and you dont realise when you reached the intermission. You dont get time to think about too many things as things move real fast. Those who loved The Godfather are in for a treat as RGV gives this a desi 'tadka' and it is really good.

Folks, its a 2 hour film. I suggest you go and watch it.

My rating 4 out of 5 stars - One star missing because I wished RGV had shown closure to one more famous scene from the original about Michael Corleone and the police commissioner. Remember it??

Last edited by echarcha; July 5th, 2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Senior eCharchan

Desi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant future
Re: Sarkaar - Ram Gopal Verma, Amitabh and Abhishekh really deserves success

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Over the 4th of July weekend I saw two movies. Let me review the first one as I really liked it and Ram Gopal Verma deserves success.

The opening credits clearly state - "Many directors worldwide have been influenced by The Godfather and this is my tribute to that inspriation - Ram Gopal Verma"

The moment you see this you know the movie is about The Godfather. Then apprehension sets in that RGV must have made a totally melodramatic Hindi masala film with songs and dance. You wish you had not come for the film.

The credits are over and you are hooked on from the first scene.

The opening and most of the story line is totally from the original Godfather, but I must commend Amitabh, Abhishekh and Ram Gopal Verma (RGV) for doing a superb job.

There are no extra and unwanted dialogues, there is no gory violence but the implied violence is quite chilling, there are no songs in the movie and there is no excess emotional melodrama. The villians look real and dont dress up funny with stupid facial makeup like 'bad man' whats-his-name used to wear.

There are two South Indian actors in this movie - One is the commissioner of police from Ab Tak Chappan who is shown to be corrupt. The second is seen for the first time in Hindi and his character is called "Silver Mani". This guy is hilarious. His line - "Style total South, but Operation total North" is quite funny.

Amitabh has really done a great job. No loud gestures, no overly melodramatic dialogs. Abhishekh, silent and understated, says much more than he could have had he been made to be the typical - "Kutten main tera khoon pi jaunga" types.

The editing is brilliant and you dont realise when you reached the intermission. You dont get time to think about too many things as things move real fast. Those who loved The Godfather are in for a treat as RGV gives this a desi 'tadka' and it is really good.

Folks, its a 2 hour film. I suggest you go and watch it.

My rating 4 out of 5 stars - One star missing because I wished RGV had shown closure to one more famous scene from the original about Michael Corleone and the police commissioner. Remember it??
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS ONE!!

Does it have the famous "horse" scene from the Godfather?
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi24
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS ONE!!

Does it have the famous "horse" scene from the Godfather?
I dont wish to reveal much but some of the lines are too good - "Main logon ko galat sochne se nahi rok sakta, galat karne se rokta hoon"

Then - "Subhash Nagre ek admi hain aur Sarkaar ek soch. Aadmi ko marna aasan hain...."

"Main Tamil Nadu jake chhup jaunga.. Tsunami mein 2-3 gaaon bache hain.. Main waha jaake settle ho jaunga"

The original was made with the intent of making atleast one sequel. This one is made just as one movie. Hence you might not find everything from the original here, but trust me - its superb!!
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the movie.... awesome..! Amitabh Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan are amazing! Even Katrina Kaif and Tanisha look good..

My rating : 4 1/2 stars on 5.
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I dont wish to reveal much but some of the lines are too good - "Main logon ko galat sochne se nahi rok sakta, galat karne se rokta hoon"

Then - "Subhash Nagre ek admi hain aur Sarkaar ek soch. Aadmi ko marna aasan hain...."

"Main Tamil Nadu jake chhup jaunga.. Tsunami mein 2-3 gaaon bache hain.. Main waha jaake settle ho jaunga"

The original was made with the intent of making atleast one sequel. This one is made just as one movie. Hence you might not find everything from the original here, but trust me - its superb!!
another silver man's line :

tu dubai ka hai naa... waha pe jaa.. nahi nahi, waha par bhi sarkar ki pahoch hai.. ek kaam kar, waha sand hai naa.. woh dig karke uske andar chup jaa..!!
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:22 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Sarkaar - Ram Gopal Verma, Amitabh and Abhishekh really deserves success

Sarkaar ... I thought you were referring talian bich Sonibai and her kaangresee chewtiyas.

Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi
Sarkaar ... I thought you were referring talian bich Sonibai and her kaangresee chewtiyas.

Tantu.. on my recommendation, do watch this film. No songs, no boring melodrama and no overly loud comedy. And its straight from ther Godfather story and hence not your typical "Kutte main tujhe maar doonga .." movie.

Trust me, watch this one!
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

DesiBaba,

Aapka Sanju baba ees mein nahin lekin picchur bahut zhaakas!! There is no Sanju baba style dialogue but the film still rocks! Company had lots of 'Mumbaiyya bhai' type language. This film does not.
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
DesiBaba,

Aapka Sanju baba ees mein nahin lekin picchur bahut zhaakas!! There is no Sanju baba style dialogue but the film still rocks! Company had lots of 'Mumbaiyya bhai' type language. This film does not.
will check it out yaar
i dont even remember tha last hinDi movie i saw

still havent seen Lucky,parineeta etc..
Old July 5th, 2005, 06:43 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sarkaar - Ram Gopal Verma, Amitabh and Abhishekh really deserves success

I haven't seen the movie yet. Plan to see it during the forthcoming weekend.

The movie though inspired by "Godfather" is also supposed to be loosely based on Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackarey, the people and events in his life.

http://www.mid-day.com/news/city/2005/june/112691.htm

In fact, Ram Gopal Verma had a special screening of the movie for the Thackareys prior to its release.

Last edited by Cooldude; July 5th, 2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldude

The movie though inspired by "Godfather" is also supposed to be loosely based on Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackarey, the people and events in his life.

In fact, Ram Gopal Verma had a special screening of the movie for the Thackareys prior to its release.
Bhai.. other than the trademark Balasaheb style of waving out to the crowds, the movie has nothing from Balasaheb's life and events or even the Shiv Sena party. Its out and out Godfather.
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldude

Yep, the movie is inspired from Godfather... at the begining of the film, Ram Gopal Verma writes a note which reads :

Like all the other directors in the world, even I am inspired from "The Godfather". This is my tribute to it. Ram Gopal Verma

Cha pai, the movie sure is great.. after a long while have I seen such a good film!!
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:23 AM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sarkaar - Ram Gopal Verma, Amitabh and Abhishekh really deserve success

Quote:

Ram Gopal Verma deserves credit for admitting his source of inspiration for this movie.

Mani Ratnam’s Nayakan (Tamil),which revolves around the life of erstwhile Bombay based gangster Varadharajan Mudaliar too had Francis Coppola’s Godfather written all over the it.

Well Mani Ratnam never admitted it then.
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Proud Hindusthani

chirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to beholdchirag2000 is a splendid one to behold

I agree with echarchabhau , its a superb movie , a must watch concidering there is paheli,parineeta & other crap running in the theeaters.
Old September 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sarkaar - Ram Gopal Verma, Amitabh and Abhishekh really deserve success

Saw this movie last weekend... great movie... excellent acting. Only problem with the movie was its loud music... at times overriding any dialogues (but then, this problem is with all indian movies... why do they have music at a higher level than normal dialogues ).

Edit: Echari pai, the 2 southies you talk about, one is Anant Jog... who plays the police commissioner (corrupt or not is not shown in the movie)... he is a marathi actor... so, not south indian (unless you consider Maharashtra in south India) . The other is Kota Shrinivas Rao... have seen him in a couple of telugu movies... he was totally hilarious in "Money Money"... very funny guy.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless

Last edited by Sane Less; September 6th, 2006 at 10:17 AM.