eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Immigration > Green Card

Notices

Green Card Discuss all things about the coveted card which is no longer green in color!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Banned

Cancer is on a distinguished road
Citizenship

Hi

I needed to know the process of applying for US citizenship. If anyone knows about it please do share.

Also I wanted to know if there was any rule where one can apply 9 months earlier from the day of 5 years of completion on green card.

Thanx for the help in advance.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all
Re: Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer
Hi

I needed to know the process of applying for US citizenship. If anyone knows about it please do share.

Also I wanted to know if there was any rule where one can apply 9 months earlier from the day of 5 years of completion on green card.

You can apply exactly after 4 yrs and 1 day, however your oath will not take place before your 5 yrs. What other question do u have.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:50 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Form N-400 - Application for Naturalization

Regarding when to apply, I've heard stories that someone applied sooner than 4.75 years and the application was rejected.

Q6: When can I apply for U.S. citizenship?
A6: Five years from the date of entry as a lawful permanent resident.
If married to and living with citizen spouse in marital union for
at least 3 years before filing the application, the residence period
is shortened to 3 years. You can file the application 90 days
before the residence requirement is met. Also, you have to be a
resident for 3 months in the state or USCIS (INS) district where you
are filing the application.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Banned

Cancer is on a distinguished road

I have also heard that one has to subtract the number of days one was out of US from the total number of days . Is it true

Also does one have to take some sort of an examination?

Last edited by Cancer; May 23rd, 2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila
Form N-400 - Application for Naturalization

Regarding when to apply, I've heard stories that someone applied sooner than 4.75 years and the application was rejected.

Q6: When can I apply for U.S. citizenship?
A6: Five years from the date of entry as a lawful permanent resident.
If married to and living with citizen spouse in marital union for
at least 3 years before filing the application, the residence period
is shortened to 3 years. You can file the application 90 days
before the residence requirement is met. Also, you have to be a
resident for 3 months in the state or USCIS (INS) district where you
are filing the application.

Charchu, if you call the USCIS cust service number they will tell you that you can file after 4 yrs and 1 day of gc approval. They dont have any hard or fast rule. In fact with the delay with FBI name checks the lady said it is better to get in line early rather than wait.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Third Echelon

Quote:
I have also heard that one has to subtract the number of days one was out of US from the total number of days .

Also does one have to take some sort of an examination?
Yeah the exam is when you are called for an interview. USCIS has about 100 questions and the officer will give you 10 out of which you need get 6 right. They are pretty simple.

USCIS has dummy tests here, check them out when you have the time.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/exec/natz/natztest.asp
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have also heard that one has to subtract the number of days one was out of US from the total number of days . Is it true
No.

Unless you stayed more than 6 months continuous.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi

good fo you..GC ho gaya, Citizenship bhi ho jayega..best of luck

i remember 1 of mah friends givin that 100 question test..its pretty simple according to her..
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute

naw man, aisa kuch nahi hai, its juz that i can identify with folks who are currently undergoin this royal pain isliye kuch zyaada hi feelins hoti hai aaj kal illegal immigrants kay prati
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:40 PM
Third Echelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
naw man, aisa kuch nahi hai, its juz that i can identify with folks who are currently undergoin this royal pain isliye kuch zyaada hi feelins hoti hai aaj kal illegal immigrants kay prati
hehehe...fukin nachos. Should send a couple of burritos up their arse and send them home with Vincente Fox. The ahole is in Colorado today promoting immigration. The ba$tard shoud mind his own business and not tell the US whether we should deploy troops at the border or not. If he and his government did something for their people then we wouldn't have such a big fukin problem. Chewtiya saala.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
Saale baba ye ekdum ............. Madarc)d tu kutte ka kutta hi rahega
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty
Saale baba ye ekdum ............. Madarc)d tu kutte ka kutta hi rahega
aapkay saath rehkay..j/k
nahi yaar, mera koi aur matlab nahi tha..
btw, why are you not comin up in the active users list?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Congrats Cancer on getting GC.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Abey padhu.. bawa.. this means I can apply anyt time.. I got my GC stamped in April 2002

I guess I can apply right away!!!
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:27 AM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Abey padhu.. bawa.. this means I can apply anyt time.. I got my GC stamped in April 2002

I guess I can apply right away!!!
Abey phir bhi tum Bush ko vote nahin dey sakte