eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old January 15th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

With the recent slowdown of the US economy, many companies have laid off people and others are in a spending cut mode.

What is the situation in your company?
Old January 15th, 2001, 05:34 PM
~Haiwan~

gandesh will become famous soon enough
see this: http://www.****edcompany.com
Old January 15th, 2001, 05:35 PM
~Haiwan~

that is F-U-C-K-E-D-C-O-M-P-A-N-Y.C-O-M damn the filters... lol
Old January 15th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Junior eCharchan

nixyrus is on a distinguished road
arrey forget the sites,
get the rumor mills working overtime,

i heard HP has had loads of layoffs, they asked lotsa people to take an unpaid vacation for 2 months or something.
how novel is that?
i dunno i somehow seem to blame that dumb**** bush for this, he keeps on making doomsday predictions and talks about the "R" word, i wish he'd lost!!!
Old January 15th, 2001, 08:38 PM
~Haiwan~

Unhappy

why would anyone take an unpaid vacation? they would rather prefer the severance package... at least u get money there... and why would HP layoff? only dot com firms are being affected.... HP hasn't gotten any beating... but if u ask me in the long run what might destroy the industry will be the free source revolution... if u get things for free then the company makes no money... software development recedes into a hobby rather than being a profession.... n *poof*... no more money anywhere....
Old January 15th, 2001, 10:55 PM
Junior eCharchan

nixyrus is on a distinguished road
i don't know the details, but i guess the whole deal about unpaid vacation is to make the person quit and save the severance package, i guess.
I also wonder that after dot-coms what's the next line of defence to be breached, apparently firms that contract for dot coms are in trouble too, the temptaion to take names is very strong but i think i shall not.
Old January 19th, 2001, 08:29 AM
eCharchan

Patel Bhai is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry I am laid off

Just yesterday our new start-up dot-com decided to wind-up its operation and all the staff was laid off.

So friends I am now job less!!!

Old January 19th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
uh-oh!

sorry to hear that. comes as a shock since non of my friend circle has been laid off till now.

welcome to the real world ...i guess??!!
Old January 19th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

tempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud oftempest has much to be proud of
question!

How much time does a person get after he's laid off? Is he supposed to leave the country immediately? Is H1 considered invalid immediately or is there a time limit involved...

Anyone knows for sure?

tempest
Old January 19th, 2001, 11:08 AM
~Haiwan~

sorry to hear abt u Patel Bhai... first time someone i knew has been laid off... so do u have to leave immediately now? ... man! this layoff thing is getting ugly...
Old January 19th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Banned

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Layoffs

If one gets laid off and has to return back to India how would he be seen by prospective employers..as a loser who could not quite make it in the states or a prize catch?.

If the US is not doing well then I think one cannot expect the Indian job market to be fledging too!.

Hell this situation is getting murkier day by day!!
Old January 19th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Post After layoff

I am not very sure so please dont take my post here as absolute legal advise. Always contact your immigration lawyer with such questions.

From what I have seen happen in my last project where permanent employees (and contractors like me were just asked to leave) were laid off, the scene is like this.
Once you are laid off, your company has to inform INS about cancelling your H1 within a week or 10 business days. Then you are no longer in status. You have to leave the country. If you manage to apply for a new job and get a new WAC number then you can start work again at a new company.

But untill then you are not in legal status. So you have to return.

As for going back home - Well all US companies know that economy was down so you were laid off. You alone are not to blame. The economy has caused this. So no one will hold your lay off against your career. Offcourse if you are fired and not laid off then thats a thing to worry about.

Anyways, check http://www.isn.org for more details.

Old January 19th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all
patel bhai

hello patel bhai

i know for a fact that you have ten days from the time your company reports your status to the ins. but i have not seen many dot com companies do that as they know someone will pick these consultants up. anyways if you need a job desperately..why dont you email me your resume. i have a few friends in the the washington dc metro area and they are always in need of consultants. so let me know if you want me to push your resume, asap.
Old January 19th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Thumbs up Thanks Padhu

for being helpful. I have posted this thread's link on main page now.

Hoep we eCharchans can help each other and other non-member friends.
Old January 19th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Post One more thing

Lets not post our resumes here.

Better idea would be like this. Incase you have not chosen to receive emails from other members. Then go to edit your profile and turn on your Others Can Send you Email option.

This way, you can send email to other [echarchans] and then exchange your private email ids.