eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Jobs

Notices

Jobs Please post your job requirements and job openings here...

Old July 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Lunch habits at work

I remember that one of my former manager - a desi - used to never bring lunch from home. He always ate out in the cafetaria or outside. He had this thinking that one should 'mingle with the big boys' and lunch is the best time to do it. Also having lunch from home seemed very uncool to him.

And at the same time I used to see senior directors eat something they packed from home.

Well, I mostly carry lunch from home. Simple reason - the food out here sucks. I mean how long can you eat all the variety Bay Area has to offer? Also I find it a good thing to spend time with other colleagues who bring lunch from home. Even today we share our lunch time and have a good chit chat session. Some folks, if they forget to get lunch from home, will go out, get a Subway or something 'to go' and then come back to have it at this joint lunch session.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch habits at work

I dont know, but I like sharing lunch with colleagues. It sort of gives time to interact or 'mingle with the boys' to me. Offcourse we are mostly peers. Glad that my bosses dont have time to have lunch with us, else we would have to keep our conversation limited to stupid namby pamby talks.

Thats brings up another point? If at all you have lunch with your colleagues, what do you generally talk about??
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:19 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

Very true . I am so fed up eating outside . I make it a point to go home and eat . as i live only 10 minutes away .
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

I usually have my lunch alone, more often than not at my desk reading news.
If the weather permits, I go out to the nearby park.

I tried to sit with my colleagues but they are all really ...not in my age group. Most of them are nearing retirement. So we end up talking about golf, pets etc. Ya ya very boring.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
I remember that one of my former manager - a desi - used to never bring lunch from home. He always ate out in the cafetaria or outside. He had this thinking that one should 'mingle with the big boys' and lunch is the best time to do it. Also having lunch from home seemed very uncool to him.

And at the same time I used to see senior directors eat something they packed from home.

Well, I mostly carry lunch from home. Simple reason - the food out here sucks. I mean how long can you eat all the variety Bay Area has to offer? Also I find it a good thing to spend time with other colleagues who bring lunch from home. Even today we share our lunch time and have a good chit chat session. Some folks, if they forget to get lunch from home, will go out, get a Subway or something 'to go' and then come back to have it at this joint lunch session.
He is right. One should mingle with big boys and when u become senior director, then start bringing from home.......
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
He is right. One should mingle with big boys and when u become senior director, then start bringing from home.......
but baba, most of the times I would see him eating alone and not with the big boys because the big boys were eating 'cholestrol conscious' healthy food from home
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Banned

sprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond repute

As told in some thread earlier, I steer clear of food containing too much masala and tragedy is that my cafeteria uses masalas very generously. So I carry my 'lunchbox' along with me everyday and have it in cafeteria along with other colleagues.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite View Post
As told in some thread earlier, I steer clear of food containing too much masala and tragedy is that my cafeteria uses masalas very generously. So I carry my 'lunchbox' along with me everyday and have it in cafeteria along with other colleagues.
Why? I mean does masala cause you some stool problems? Which spices specifically? Black pepper? Cumin? Mace?
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I usually have my lunch alone, more often than not at my desk reading news.
If the weather permits, I go out to the nearby park.

I tried to sit with my colleagues but they are all really ...not in my age group. Most of them are nearing retirement. So we end up talking about golf, pets etc. Ya ya very boring.
I seldom eat on my desk, first four days I bring food from home, sit with all goras/goris ( I m the only indian in my office ) and friday we all go out.
My Boss go out everyday with his wife or his friends outside office so no tension of nambypamby talks and the day we eat with him we all enjoy because he always suggest to go to Hooters for a beer or two and then go home.

I know but we are not hiring nowadays.

Last edited by Premi; July 15th, 2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: read my reply three replies below.... edited never
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

sprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond reputesprite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Why? I mean does masala cause you some stool problems? Which spices specifically? Black pepper? Cumin? Mace?
Absolutely no probs with my digestive or gastrointestinal system. Just that I am used to eating food with very less masala (parents are very health conscious) and extra masala means long bouts of hiccups, running-nose, watery eyes and glass-after-glass water!! Everyone near 'pani-puri' stall laugh at me when I start getting those hiccups seconds after gulping my first pani-puri!!

I dont know masala types actually. I guess it must be 'garam-masala', mirchi powder, blac-pepper etc that are generally used in making curries etc.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premi View Post
I never ate on my desk, first four days I bring food from home, sit with all goras/goris ( I m the only indian in my office ) and friday we all go out.
My Boss go out everyday with his wife or his friends outside office so no tension of nambypamby talks and the day we eat with him we all enjoy because he always suggest to go to Hooters for a beer or two and then go home.

Looks like we both work in the same office... your boss great, my boss great... no nambi-pambi talk there, no nambi-pambi talk here... your boss takes you to hooters, my boss takes me to hooters... you only Indian in your office, me only Indian in my office...

Hey... kahi tu mera dupe ID toh nahi

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any patterns for lunch, though mostly go out with co-workers whenever possible. I bring food from home if it's something I really like, about twice or thrice a month. I end up driving home about once a week, have lunch, watch tv, relax, and drive back to work.

If it's a lunch-with-coworker day, we usually share stories about something we're all working on that day, or just talk about how was the weekend, any plans for coming weekend, movies (just say "I'm not a fan of Star Wars" and the discussion/debate starts), often people ask why i am a vegetarian/how long have i been one and that goes on for a while, weather if it's extremely hot or cold, etc. etc. etc. You see, there are no planned discussions, it just happens.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premi View Post
I never ate on my desk, first four days I bring food from home, sit with all goras/goris ( I m the only indian in my office ) and friday we all go out.

maa ki kirkiri ... saala aaj hi bola aur aaj hi desk pe khaya .... was on the phone with one Santosh Patil from Microsoft Bangalore for one product activation loop on one of my laptop. Took one and half hour to fix that and end up installing the XP pro again. Was taking so long and I brought Rajma and muglai naan so couldnt resist and went to cafeteria to heat it up with the cordless speakerphone and ate :slurrp: at my desk while listening their on hold music.

@ sane less - do you know my LAN password too
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well done man. Never ever eat cafeteria food especially in India. My friend found a cockroach in his catered food few days back. Better to steer clear of their cholesterol rich masala food.

I generally carry my lunch and eat with co-workers or in my car or go to subway. I never eat at my desk because I want a break from work. Very rarely I go with colleagues out to lunch. I fake I'm busy or something.

Quote:
Absolutely no probs with my digestive or gastrointestinal system. Just that I am used to eating food with very less masala (parents are very health conscious) and extra masala means long bouts of hiccups, running-nose, watery eyes and glass-after-glass water!! Everyone near 'pani-puri' stall laugh at me when I start getting those hiccups seconds after gulping my first pani-puri!!

I dont know masala types actually. I guess it must be 'garam-masala', mirchi powder, blac-pepper etc that are generally used in making curries etc.
Dont care about those jerks you call friends. Eating less masala and spices is good for you. You don't want piles or other horrible problems like that now do you.

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; July 15th, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly food from home, but sometimes eat in cafe as our co. cafe offer nice indian and chinese food.