eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 5th, 2002, 09:19 AM
gossipmonger's Avatar
gossipmonger gossipmonger is offline
Junior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Dhaaravi
Posts: 155
gossipmonger is on a distinguished road
The budget

So the President has decide to spend up to 349 billion dollars on the military and defense. This is excluding the budget for homeland security. There won't be an increase in the taxes but there will be hidden increases like the downpayments on your car, home , bank interests etc....the funds are coming out of the Social security which is another cause for concern.
I know I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that there is such an increase in the budget for the miltary. I mean despite them being a super power and all that they have failed in the areas of intelligence and yes defense miserably......they havent been able to find things like the Osama's and well couldn't avoid incidents like 9/11. SO what guarentees that the above won't happen with the inflated budget......
Eventually the money has to come from somewhere and it is us indirectly or directly.
WHat do you people living in the States think about this !-) ??!!
__________________
Brunettes rule!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 5th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
What has the defennse budget gotta do with the down payment on car or house ? That's a decision made my lending institutions and is based on your credit history and the value of your purchase. Bank interest rates today are lowest in 40 years and are sure to go up as the economy improves.

I think US has been very successful in its war against terrorism. Like our president said that those who ruled an entire nation are now hiding in a cave - and that too knowing very well that a superpower of yesteryears failed miserably in taming the Afghans.

Intelligence has failed the world over when it came to terrorism. It has failed in India, Israel and the US. Intelligence cannot stop terrorism but better preparedness and security measures certainly can lessen the damage if not prevent it completely.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 5th, 2002, 09:52 AM
gossipmonger's Avatar
gossipmonger gossipmonger is offline
Junior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Dhaaravi
Posts: 155
gossipmonger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI
What has the defennse budget gotta do with the down payment on car or house ? That's a decision made my lending institutions and is based on your credit history and the value of your purchase. Bank interest rates today are lowest in 40 years and are sure to go up as the economy improves.

I think US has been very successful in its war against terrorism. Like our president said that those who ruled an entire nation are now hiding in a cave - and that too knowing very well that a superpower of yesteryears failed miserably in taming the Afghans.

Intelligence has failed the world over when it came to terrorism. It has failed in India, Israel and the US. Intelligence cannot stop terrorism but better preparedness and security measures certainly can lessen the damage if not prevent it completely.

Hello there(Clueless style)!!!! the govt will go into debt with this budget and hence will have to compete with borrowers of the private sectors hence driving up interests and hence hidden costs in everything....I am lifting this argument of CNN so I guess there has TO BE SOME truth in it.
__________________
Brunettes rule!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 5th, 2002, 09:55 AM
CyberKhiladi's Avatar
CyberKhiladi CyberKhiladi is offline
Source Integrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,202
CyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to all
All of it is analysis........how do u supppes that ....US had a trillion bux of debt 4 yrs back ......did that make a difference? no

this is gonna add another 400 billion bux ..big DEAL!! thats aint gonna deter USA from gettim back on track viz building up of economy and capitalizing on the resourses iut has and will always have!
__________________
Marry not who u can live it ......appun bolta
Marry who u cant possible live without .......baap ka experience bolta
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 5th, 2002, 10:04 AM
gossipmonger's Avatar
gossipmonger gossipmonger is offline
Junior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Dhaaravi
Posts: 155
gossipmonger is on a distinguished road
Aagyaa tuu .............tera hi intezaar tha!!
Yup and guess what the USA is in such a huge debt which they eventually will have to pay off but when and how ...by then you may be a citizen with all these bills and kids and mortgage and then they will slap you with these interest rates. Comeon eventually it will come around to bite us....if not us then our progeny....but ofcourse who cares right ???!!!
I refuse to pay for a lost cause !! and I hope you guys too....
I mean give me hope that the economy is going to be revived by taking aggressive measures and not simply by cutting bank interests. As you might see from the CNN report it goes on to describe how much the military needs improved weapons...like duh as if any country has their kind of military capabilties... whereas there is hardly any discussion as to how he plans to improve the economy. Perhaps you have a better insight and would care to elaborate?
__________________
Brunettes rule!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 5th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by gossipmonger



Hello there(Clueless style)!!!! the govt will go into debt with this budget and hence will have to compete with borrowers of the private sectors hence driving up interests and hence hidden costs in everything....I am lifting this argument of CNN so I guess there has TO BE SOME truth in it.
Is anybody home? (eNRI knocking on gossipmonger's head)

The govt. debt will increase no doubt, but that does not directly relate to interest rates, except that treasury bonds issued to raise more cash may auction at a lower price due to increased govt debt thus increasing the effective interest rate. But the strength of dollar or confidence in the US govt.'s debt will hardly be affected by higher defense spending.

Interest rates are regulated by the government's monetary policy to control inflation. At these times when inflation is almost absent, interest rates may be ready to go up, but the Fed is keeping them down to increase consumer spending and so keep the economy moving.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:08 AM
gossipmonger's Avatar
gossipmonger gossipmonger is offline
Junior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Dhaaravi
Posts: 155
gossipmonger is on a distinguished road
Which brings us to the classic argument of dowe really need all those expensive military weapons? I mean we could always us the money elsewhere and for better reasons.Don't say the defense of the country is a good reason.It becomes one when you make it one. Do you really think at this point nuclear weapons and military wise anyone can whoop the USA's ass....I don't think so........
Please check the CNN article on the budget today. The argument given there seems resonable enough. Like our karma jo karoge so bharoge eh paarth!!!
__________________
Brunettes rule!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by gossipmonger
Which brings us to the classic argument of dowe really need all those expensive military weapons? I mean we could always us the money elsewhere and for better reasons.Don't say the defense of the country is a good reason.It becomes one when you make it one. Do you really think at this point nuclear weapons and military wise anyone can whoop the USA's ass....I don't think so........
Please check the CNN article on the budget today. The argument given there seems resonable enough. Like our karma jo karoge so bharoge eh paarth!!!
First you say that US has failed miserably in defense, now you are singing praises if US' military might. Could you please make up your mind and and take one stand.

I think US needs to keep its military might and invest more in defense so that it can protect itself from foreign agression.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:27 AM
gossipmonger's Avatar
gossipmonger gossipmonger is offline
Junior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Dhaaravi
Posts: 155
gossipmonger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI


First you say that US has failed miserably in defense, now you are singing praises if US' military might. Could you please make up your mind and and take one stand.

I think US needs to keep its military might and invest more in defense so that it can protect itself from foreign agression.
ok when I mean whooping ass I mean nuclear weapons and such. You dont need intelligence for 'goin in' and bullying people by blowing them to bits....all you need is might and a big huge army with lots a guns. However there are really intelligent people like Osama who can once in a while turn the tables...and make the intelligence for security and such fail.
__________________
Brunettes rule!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by gossipmonger


ok when I mean whooping ass I mean nuclear weapons and such. You dont need intelligence for 'goin in' and bullying people by blowing them to bits....all you need is might and a big huge army with lots a guns. However there are really intelligent people like Osama who can once in a while turn the tables...and make the intelligence for security and such fail.
There is no bullying. USA doesn't bully anyone but it has to safeguard its own interest and those of its people.

Osama wasn't intelligent, just wealthy and someone who could get suicide terrorists in the name of Islam. He just used the freedom of US to do his misdeed. Only in US (and some other countries) can a foreigner do what he/she pleases to do. There are hardly any restrictions on foreigners here. Yet, Osama now knows what a big blunder he committed. Now, Taliban is out of Afghanistan and Osama/Omar are running from cave to cave or country to country for life, if not already dead.

And the US has once agains established its military superiority over former superpowers like Russia.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:37 AM
echarcha's Avatar
echarcha echarcha is offline
Sutradhar {admin}
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 44,994
echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Had 9/11 not occured

then I think the budget would have not gone into deficit.


Terrorism has put a lot of strain on the economy. I think USA was not prepard with things like scanners at airports, etc and so now has to arrange for such measures. This is causing the strain on the budget.

PS: I am not a economics expert , so I maybe wrong.
__________________
eCharcha.com
-Loud and Proud Desi Opinions
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:38 AM
nydood nydood is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,345
nydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI
I think US needs to keep its military might and invest more in defense so that it can protect itself from foreign agression.
Foreign aggression? Do you really think any country is going to attack the US? Except for the Chinese Army which has an advantage as far as numbers are concerned, no other army can compare to the US army. Air Force and Navy of the US are uncomparable. So who do you think is going to be an agressor?
Also do you really think we need tanks, bombs and nuclear weapons to stop terrorists? They are the ones who are outnumbered, dont have an infrastructure or advanced weapons. Do you really think they will come out in the open and fight? If not, then why all the tanks? To roam around on the US streets? Nuclear weapons? Arent the 1200 nuclear warheads that the US has enough to wipe out the entire world?
What the US needs now is not tanks and nuclear bombs, but better intelligence to foil such acts of terrorism.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:40 AM
gossipmonger's Avatar
gossipmonger gossipmonger is offline
Junior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Dhaaravi
Posts: 155
gossipmonger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by nydood

Foreign aggression? Do you really think any country is going to attack the US? Except for the Chinese Army which has an advantage as far as numbers are concerned, no other army can compare to the US army. Air Force and Navy of the US are uncomparable. So who do you think is going to be an agressor?
Also do you really think we need tanks, bombs and nuclear weapons to stop terrorists? They are the ones who are outnumbered, dont have an infrastructure or advanced weapons. Do you really think they will come out in the open and fight? If not, then why all the tanks? To roam around on the US streets? Nuclear weapons? Arent the 1200 nuclear warheads that the US has enough to wipe out the entire world?
What the US needs now is not tanks and nuclear bombs, but better intelligence to foil such acts of terrorism.

you go boy!!
__________________
Brunettes rule!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by nydood

Foreign aggression? Do you really think any country is going to attack the US? Except for the Chinese Army which has an advantage as far as numbers are concerned, no other army can compare to the US army. Air Force and Navy of the US are uncomparable. So who do you think is going to be an agressor?
Also do you really think we need tanks, bombs and nuclear weapons to stop terrorists? They are the ones who are outnumbered, dont have an infrastructure or advanced weapons. Do you really think they will come out in the open and fight? If not, then why all the tanks? To roam around on the US streets? Nuclear weapons? Arent the 1200 nuclear warheads that the US has enough to wipe out the entire world?
What the US needs now is not tanks and nuclear bombs, but better intelligence to foil such acts of terrorism.
foreign agression includes attacks on USA by acts of terrorism and bio-terrorism. Tanks are needed to fight the enemy in their own land and in war against another NATO nation. Better intelligence can be asked for but terrorist operations are so covert that the best intelligence can fail.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:45 AM
gossipmonger's Avatar
gossipmonger gossipmonger is offline
Junior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Dhaaravi
Posts: 155
gossipmonger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI


There is no bullying. USA doesn't bully anyone but it has to safeguard its own interest and those of its people.

Osama wasn't intelligent, just wealthy and someone who could get suicide terrorists in the name of Islam. He just used the freedom of US to do his misdeed. Only in US (and some other countries) can a foreigner do what he/she pleases to do. There are hardly any restrictions on foreigners here. Yet, Osama now knows what a big blunder he committed. Now, Taliban is out of Afghanistan and Osama/Omar are running from cave to cave or country to country for life, if not already dead.

And the US has once agains established its military superiority over former superpowers like Russia.
Hello !!!! USA's other name is BIG BULLY!! and for reasons to numerous to mention. THEY ALWAYS HAVE THEIR SAY!! They owe the UN the most but everyone is quiet because well Kofi Annan is a puppet (who happened to be elected because Butros Butros
Gali wasn't really serving USA'S interests) . They take double stands on the various world matters.....like Somalia, India Pakistan, Israel and Palestine and I could go one. They decide ultimately whom to impose sanctions on. I am not supporting the fanatics here but OSAMA is there because of the USA. Come one this is like the chicken and egg story...
__________________
Brunettes rule!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 India Budget HarHarMahaDev Economy 18 February 29th, 2016 05:36 PM
budget 2010-11 highlights induz Indian Politics 10 February 27th, 2010 04:43 AM
Budget season is setting on us! rationalthinker Indian Politics 0 January 15th, 2009 07:56 PM
The Budget dirty Indian Politics 6 April 5th, 2002 02:10 PM
India - Budget 2001 Indian Economy 1 March 1st, 2001 12:05 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Copyright © eCharcha.Com 2000-2012.