eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old July 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up I don't believe in the caste system: Amitabh Bachchan

Quote:
I don't believe in the caste system: Amitabh Bachchan
IANS | Jul 18, 2011, 12.58pm IST
Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan, who will be seen in a film themed on caste-based reservations, says he doesn't believe in the caste system, has never faced any bias because of his caste and is proud that his father gave him a surname that doesn't denote any such thing.

"If ever I have faced a rejection or a failure, it has been on the basis of my incapability to do something and never my caste," Amitabh, 68, told IANS in an interview.

"I think rejection because of incapability is right because if I'm not capable of doing a particular work, the other person has the right to disapprove of me or reject me. Like, I lost in politics because I was not capable, not because I was of a particular caste," added Big B, who is a legend in the Hindi film industry with several hits like "Sholay" and "Deewar".

In "Aarakshan", directed by Prakash Jha and releasing Aug 12, Amitabh will be seen as the principal of a private educational institution. Themed on caste-based reservations in educational institutions, "Aarakshan" revolves around Prabhakar Anand (Amitabh), an idealistic principal, and his loyal disciple Deepak Kumar (Saif Ali Khan).

Traditional Indian society is based on social hierarchy created by the caste system.

But Amitabh said he never believed in the caste system because of his upbringing. "I never understood the caste system because I was born and brought up in a family and in an atmosphere that never ever preached caste or believed in it," said Amitabh, eldest son of late Hindi poet Harivansh Rai Bachchan and Teji Bachchan.

"I feel very proud because I am the first bearer of a name that was started by my father which has no cast reference at all. My father, perhaps, was the very first individual in the city of Allahabad to have undergone an inter-caste marriage in those times.

"He married a Sikh. He was a Kayasth from UP (Uttar Pradesh). When the question came about of my admission in school and the teachers asked what is the surname, my father said he didn't want the surname to bear any kind of caste reflection and therefore his pen name became my surname.

"So I'm very proud of the fact that I was the originator of the Bachchan name, which is casteless, if surnames are an indication of any kind of caste," he added.

Amitabh's family boasts of secular credentials. While his father married a Sikh, he himself is married to a Bengali (Jaya Bachchan). His son ( Abhishek Bachchan) is married to a Kannadiga (Aishwarya Rai) and his daughter (Shweta Nanda) has tied the knot with a Punjabi (Nikhil Nanda).

When asked what could be done to break the caste barriers and change the situation in the country , he said: "Many attempts have been made... everywhere I have gone, where we have discussed this, we haven't really come across a solution. It is something that we have inherited. Our social structure has been developed in this manner. We have to live with it. But I hope something can be done."

Speaking on the film "Aarakshan", which also stars Saif Ali Khan, Deepika Padukone, Prateik Babbar and Manoj Bajpai in pivotal roles, Amitabh said director Jha helped him understand the subject quite a bit.

"I wasn't as conversant as perhaps Prakashji about the subject because I never paid attention to it and never thought about it because I don't believe in it. When I met Prakashji and he talked about the film, I came to know various aspects which were very convincingly and adequately explained to me during the making of the film," said Amitabh, who has so far featured in about 180 movies.

LINK

Babasaheb would have been so proud of Big B.
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Junior eCharchan

Master Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I don't believe in the caste system: Amitabh Bachchan

Amitabhs's father and mother were from the 'upper castes'. His wife is from a 'upper caste'. Both his kids married into 'upper caste' families.

So how can he say he never faced castiesm?
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

BKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bates View Post
Amitabhs's father and mother were from the 'upper castes'. His wife is from a 'upper caste'. Both his kids married into 'upper caste' families.

This Asshole(Amitabh) still uses "Shrivastava" as his last name in all official Documents.... khane ke kuch dikhane ke kuch.....
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Bandook Singh

deshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bates View Post

My dear sir... too much of pleasuring your own self (Masturbat-ion) has left your mind numb. Let me put the facts point wise...

1. Amitabh claims his father was a Kayasth (refer to paragraph 8 of the article posted above)

2. Kayasths are a sub caste of Shudras... I obviously cant provide a link to this fact as this is what I have learnt growing up in India. But for the sake of argument let me provide a wikipedia link which says something similar...

3. Shudras are not upper caste by any stretch of imagination.

4. Amitabhs mom was a sikh. And as a rule sikhs do not believe in any caste structure and hence use Singh, agreed they have their own differentiation between Jats, Aroras, Ramgarhias etc. But being just a "sikh" does not essentially mean you are from an upper caste. On the contrary it means you do not believe in casts. Maybe granthi Jeet Singhji IAF wale can throw some light on this.

5. Amitabhs daughter is married to a Nanda.... Nanda's are not really Upper Caste... can someone correct me here, if I am wrong.

Last edited by deshpremi; July 19th, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

BKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshpremi View Post
My dear sir... too much of pleasuring your own self (Masturbat-ion) has left your mind numb. Let me put the facts point wise...

1. Amitabh claims his father was a Kayasth (refer to paragraph 8 of the article posted above)

2. Kayasths are a sub caste of Shudras... I obviously cant provide a link to this as this is what I have learnt growing up in India. But for the sake of argument let me provide a wikipedia link which says something similar...

kahani achhi hai..Kayastha in India = shudra
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Junior eCharchan

Dynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I don't believe in the caste system: Amitabh Bachchan

Kayastha is a caste which is said to be a decendent of Chitragupta.

Chitragupta was a muneem (Accountant) of Lord Indra. Chitragupta was not a cash accountant but used to keep account of doings of every human on earth.

read more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshpremi View Post

2. Kayasths are a sub caste of Shudras... I obviously cant provide a link to this fact as this is what I have learnt growing up in India. But for the sake of argument let me provide a wikipedia link which says something similar...

4. Amitabhs mom was a sikh. And as a rule sikhs do not believe in any caste structure and hence use Singh, agreed they have their own differentiation between Jats, Aroras, Ramgarhias etc. But being just a "sikh" does not essentially mean you are from an upper caste. On the contrary it means you do not believe in casts. Maybe granthi Jeet Singhji IAF wale can throw some light on this.

5. Amitabhs daughter is married to a Nanda.... Nanda's are not really Upper Caste... can someone correct me here, if I am wrong.
When God was creating the human race, he lined up all the males on one side and all the females opposite. Then he asked: Which of your species would like to urinate standing up? Well, the males went crazy, shouting that they wanted to pee standing up. 'Fine', says God, 'Women get multiple orgasms'.
Old July 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Junior eCharchan

Master Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond reputeMaster Bates has a reputation beyond repute

Kayastha are considered to be middle caste of brahmin origin.

Amitabhs mother was from the Sikh from the Khatri caste (an upper caste).

Nandas are hindu punjabis from the Khatri caste.
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe in caste system... but I will believe in reservation

Fking oxygen-moron... more like ozone-moron.
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

doesn't matter what he believes in - reservation is a chutiapa - fking politicians keep using it for votes.will keep fking that.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute

there should be caste system ... and no reservations.

brahmins do admin/netagiri.
jaats/rajput do defense
baniyas do finance/economy
shudra do cleaning/factory-work.

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM
aam aurat

Parijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond reputeParijataka has a reputation beyond repute

I think waht Amitabh said reflects what most todays urban Indian would believe in.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:23 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parijataka View Post
I think waht Amitabh said reflects what most todays urban Indian would believe in.
bolne mein kya jaata hai.. half of india believes he is son of Brahmin Nehru.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Big B's new movie is due 'Arakshan' so this must be for that.