eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Indian Politics

Notices

Indian Politics Our national time-pass!

Old December 31st, 2016, 10:40 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working to improve 'rotten' system: Rahul Gandhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
As they say, Hobsons choice. Control Freak Modi or Clueless Rahul Gandhi.
And you never know you may end up with an arrogant Priyanka Vadra.

Having seen License Permit Raj era of Indira Gandhi where it used to take 10 years to get a telephone connection, there is still some method in Modi's madness.

His version of populism is the lowest cost one i have seen in a long time and he always manages to walk on the razor's edge and still make it.
that is all right for you to say---sitting in a western country and raking in the benefits of true democracy .

in india the power of the state over individuals has increased enormously since demonetisation and one feels like living in a dictatorship . earlier i used to ignore all prime minister's speeches . now yesterday i was glued to the TV watching modi's speech at 7.30 pm because it is he who is deciding how i am going to live tomorrow . all freedoms seem to be restricted and the era of state control is back .

one fears that the popularity of this anti moneyed people policy is spreading among the poor and will keep modi in power . and he will bring what the communists could not do---bring about revolution from above , destroy the moneyed classes and crown himself dictator by popular will . the popularity of demonetisation among the poor may make power go to modi's head .
Old January 1st, 2017, 12:26 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
that is all right for you to say---sitting in a western country and raking in the benefits of true democracy .

in india the power of the state over individuals has increased enormously since demonetisation and one feels like living in a dictatorship . earlier i used to ignore all prime minister's speeches . now yesterday i was glued to the TV watching modi's speech at 7.30 pm because it is he who is deciding how i am going to live tomorrow . all freedoms seem to be restricted and the era of state control is back .

one fears that the popularity of this anti moneyed people policy is spreading among the poor and will keep modi in power . and he will bring what the communists could not do---bring about revolution from above , destroy the moneyed classes and crown himself dictator by popular will . the popularity of demonetisation among the poor may make power go to modi's head .
Exactly,its a curse living in Modi era.
Old January 1st, 2017, 07:04 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There are also some rules enforced. Example if you are caught drunk driving in India, you pay the challan (or Chai pani) and it is over. In Umrika it will haunt you for a long time (more if you are not a US citizen).

There are some things which got worse before too like in 2005 -8 i ws able to freely use my india credit card when i was abroad, but now that may not work.

Anyways, i have been checking closely with my folks and while they say there is some inconvenience, life is going on and they are using means like paying maid with Cheque and ordering groceries from big basket.
All are retired or students though.
Quote:
Deja vu - The only cars available were AMbassador or Fiat because the state decided that people dont need cars.

Quote:
Indira Gandhi tried that once. Some of his crazy whatsapp supporters may actually recommend it.
If he does that, he will lose all the international goodwill he has created with all his foreign trips.

Last edited by sgars; January 1st, 2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old January 1st, 2017, 08:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

ashdoc, why is demonetization popular amongst poor? Shouldn't they be worst impacted?
Or are they happy that rich people with black money got punished?
Old January 1st, 2017, 09:07 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
ashdoc, why is demonetization popular amongst poor? Shouldn't they be worst impacted?
Sheer jealousy i guess. Everywhere i go and even in my clinic poor people are happy that the rich have been brought to heel by demonitisation. No benefit has yet been accrued to the poor as yet, but still they are downright elated.
Old January 1st, 2017, 02:53 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like the long-time idea of what is best for India is finally coming to fruition... benevolent dictator

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old January 1st, 2017, 07:32 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
It looks like the long-time idea of what is best for India is finally coming to fruition... benevolent dictator
The term is an oxymoron. the only exception is Lee Kuan yew of Singapore. The next best example is Deng Xiao Ping who started China's success story. His successors however have become obsessed with Pakistan like Nixon once was.

If there is dictatorship, India will meet the same fate as Pakistan. Chaos and lose territory,
Old January 1st, 2017, 08:00 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
demonetisation sounds benevolent sitting in america , i guess
Old January 2nd, 2017, 04:17 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
demonetisation sounds benevolent sitting in america , i guess
A dictator always have to take harsh, stringent steps without worrying about the repercussions... where the benevolence is towards the future of India. What is best for the country, without worrying about who is going to get crushed in the current state.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:02 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
without worrying about who is going to get crushed in the current state.
And since you are sitting in America and not getting crushed it is even more easy to say that.....
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:32 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
That's because the essentials haven't been hit as yet. Daal/sabzi-roti is still available, no starvation deaths. And then there's jealousy, as ashdoc mentioned.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old January 3rd, 2017, 02:18 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
That's because the essentials haven't been hit as yet. Daal/sabzi-roti is still available, no starvation deaths. And then there's jealousy, as ashdoc mentioned.
Sabji at throwaway prices
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:44 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Sabji at throwaway prices
...and all "export" quality vegetables seen in the local markets. Get a load of it, you won't see it again in the sabzi mandi for years to come.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old January 3rd, 2017, 09:07 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Quote:
And since you are sitting in America and not getting crushed it is even more easy to say that.....
But of course. Only those people who are above the daily grind have opinions

Old January 5th, 2017, 09:11 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
But of course. Only those people who are above the daily grind have opinions
Your opinion is nothing but crass stupidly born out of ignorance of the ground conditions because of living in a foreign country. Crushing an entire class of entrepreneurs ( businessmen, traders, merchants) who drive the economy can hardly be called benevolence.