eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old May 10th, 2017, 11:07 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
I absolutely see no reason to take stress in t his matter. Just take the weekend off and have enjoy it completely stress-free. Jo hoyega Monday ko dekha jaayega. Is it weekend already? I am so looking forward to it
On Monday she will get a not so gentle reminder
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it will cause any problem if you tell them that you cannot come in for the weekend. They cannot force you to work on a weekend.
Just tell them you have some personal work and get it over with.
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
I don't think it will cause any problem if you tell them that you cannot come in for the weekend. They cannot force you to work on a weekend.
Just tell them you have some personal work and get it over with.
i did...I feel this is going to have an adverse impact on my performance review come year end.
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know why I am letting this stress me over so much. I keep telling myself that i should not be feeling this sorry for not being able to come in on a weekend...but i cant help it.
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Senior eCharchan

Bhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
i dont know why I am letting this stress me over so much. I keep telling myself that i should not be feeling this sorry for not being able to come in on a weekend...but i cant help it.
I would start looking for a job right away.

If it is stressing you, then go to work on the weekend and promise yourself a new job within 3 months or earlier. If you dont go, then promise yourself that you will leave before the preformance review time. If I were you, I would quit with or without a job in hand if it is so restrictive. Have done it many times and taken rest for 1-2 months and then started looking and lucky me have been able to find one within a month of starting the search.

I had a job that required me to slog 8am till late night and some hours on Sat/Sun. The money was also pathetic. Boss was clearly racist and had never said a good word. I quit in a day after 3 months. Sometimes you have to put yourself ahead of everything without any regrets. That is like saving yourself for the rainy day. We save money but we dont think of our own well-being and saving our own energy (mental and physical) sometimes. Quitting on your terms even without a job is an exhilarating experience. People have to try it once in their lifetime.

Last edited by Bhidubhai; May 10th, 2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe your subconscious mind is prodding you because you are not showing commitment. This could cost you a promotion or raise or worse case scenario your job.

Maybe your competitor is going to suck up and take this opportunity to one up you. Obviously there is more to the story than meets the eye. That's why you took the effort to pose this no brainer question on this forum.

Old May 11th, 2017, 05:58 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Aashiji, given the comments your boss had made earlier regarding his wife staying at home, you have a good case. You could at least talk to an attorney even if you don't start any proceedings.

Only, other employers may be wary of you. You could also just chat with HR, before any action, you may tide their advice.
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:00 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

About 6 years back I was working day and night in this one job (hardly any time on ec either), that I was not having any time for breakfast, gym, no personal time.. so I got fed up one day and wrote to the manager saying I am thinking of quitting because I am working like bonded labor with no time for myself (almost the same words, actually I was working a colleague's workload as well).. and this was the case even on the weekends, I was sleeping like less than 5 hours a day.. this went on for about 3-4 months before I had enough of it.

Soon enough an opening came by in the department and I was recommended to that position, I took it.. the manager's wife took my position .. it was the best win-win.

Long story short, I suggest you put your concern in strong words (email) to your manager and watch him pee his pants.
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:34 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
About 6 years back I was working day and night in this one job (hardly any time on ec either), that I was not having any time for breakfast, gym, no personal time.. so I got fed up one day and wrote to the manager saying I am thinking of quitting because I am working like bonded labor with no time for myself (almost the same words, actually I was working a colleague's workload as well).. and this was the case even on the weekends, I was sleeping like less than 5 hours a day.. this went on for about 3-4 months before I had enough of it.

Soon enough an opening came by in the department and I was recommended to that position, I took it.. the manager's wife took my position .. it was the best win-win.

Long story short, I suggest you put your concern in strong words (email) to your manager and watch him pee his pants.
His wife took your position. But was she also doing your work? My own story later.
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i did...I feel this is going to have an adverse impact on my performance review come year end.
I strongly disagree. They cannot ruin your performance review just because you refused to work on a weekend(s).
If they do so, they will be walking on a thin ice.
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
His wife took your position. But was she also doing your work? My own story later.
Manager saw an opening, let me shift out of the team and hired his wife for my job.. (the many advantages of south indian long names. ) .. They managed the workload with other resources after I was gone from that team.
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
This is what I am saying. So okay, agreed that your performance review is going to take a hit. But it also seems that your every-day review is also going to be bad... right till the day of the performance review. And this is no one's fault but yourself. Khud Ghabbar. Please do not blame others... especially your manager for this.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
This is what I am saying. So okay, agreed that your performance review is going to take a hit. But it also seems that your every-day review is also going to be bad... right till the day of the performance review. And this is no one's fault but yourself. Khud Ghabbar. Please do not blame others... especially your manager for this.
Agreed.

This lentil seems to have some black. Maybe Mgr told her Okay if you can't finish your job during normal business hours, you will have to work weekends. Maybe she's really slow at work.

Old May 11th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
Agreed.

This lentil seems to have some black. Maybe Mgr told her Okay if you can't finish your job during normal business hours, you will have to work weekends. Maybe she's really slow at work.
What if amount of work allocated is way more than a person can complete within normal business hours. Maybe manager is expecting her to work 15 hrs every day which is not possible and should not be encouraged.
Old May 11th, 2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
What if amount of work allocated is way more than a person can complete within normal business hours. Maybe manager is expecting her to work 15 hrs every day which is not possible and should not be encouraged.
But some people really delay and sit on things or are just slow, so have to stretch on nights and weekends.. manager gets impression that they're really working hard, whereas somebody who plans better and has to never stretch may be seen as underachiever.