eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old April 17th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Apples to Oranges?

I had a very interesting conversation with a friend of mine recently and something has been bothering me.

She is going to have a baby in the next 2 months. They decided to circumcise the child (not because of religion; they claim its more hygienic etc).
I did not do it for my child (she asked me why I didnt do it) as I believed perhaps he should be the one to make a call when he grows up and its not a part of my religion anyway.

Now the interesting part is that, she gently points out the hypocrisy in me. I got my daughters ears pierced when she was 8 months (we used numbing gel).
She asked me why I did not feel the need to let my daughter have a say in whether or not she wants her ears pierced.

Am i being a hypocrite? I feel its comparing apples to oranges. female genital mutilation would be equivalent to circumcision.

what are your thoughts?
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apples to Oranges?

Theoretically, it is hypocrisy. Your daughter may not want her ears to be pierced when she grows up. Pierced ears may not be a fad in the future. You are basically sealing her fate... if some fascist group decides that people with pierced-ears should wear a band on their arms.

But then, taking a contradictory position, education might be a fad... and the illiterate might rule the world and ban all educated people (for some reason, this theory seems to be happening today... and we may not have to wait for the future for something like this).

So, each should follow what s/he believes is right... and not worry about other peoples' theories. Theories are like opinions... which are like ar......

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old April 17th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Banned

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of

I personally do not like any kind of piercing, tattoos or any such,.. on eye-brow, tongue, other body parts,…eeewww,….!! little make-up and puff-powered-lipstick is still ok, as a women’s ornament,.. ( we are not animals,.. we color and decorate cow’s horns and elephants faces,..Are we in same category ? ) The modern fashion has taken it to an another yucky level,.. Though, naturally house women have to do piercing in ear and nose at certain age, but,… belly-button and vagina and,.. these just too much, now a days.

Keep in mind, that Muslims at that time, living in Afghanistan and other desert areas, where there was shortage of water and taking bath daily was not possible,..and such, there was no water and penis’s skin was difficult to keep it clean..etc. and that’s how the sunni /circumcision had started,.. later Westerns tied in, to a great penetration sexual more fun.. and such,… Uh !
Old April 17th, 2017, 12:18 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Apples and Pumpkins.

Ornaments like earrings would look good on girls (kids or grown ups). You need ears pierced for that.

No such requirement for boys. The hygiene thing is a humbug.

BTW, did your friend graduate in sociology from JNU?
Old April 17th, 2017, 01:29 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post

Another angle to this circumcision thing ..

Circumcision is and was used as a definite confirmation of Muslim faith used during riots and partition times in India.

Btw, Aashika can ask her friend if they took their newborn child to their religious place and give a religious name.. almost everybody would do that.
Old April 17th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Theoretically, it is hypocrisy. Your daughter may not want her ears to be pierced when she grows up. Pierced ears may not be a fad in the future. You are basically sealing her fate... if some fascist group decides that people with pierced-ears should wear a band on their arms.

But then, taking a contradictory position, education might be a fad... and the illiterate might rule the world and ban all educated people (for some reason, this theory seems to be happening today... and we may not have to wait for the future for something like this).

So, each should follow what s/he believes is right... and not worry about other peoples' theories. Theories are like opinions... which are like ar......
from what i know, if you do not put earrings for too long, the gap closes by itself. unlike C which is permanent. It that case, we shouldnt even cutting a kids hair.

no?
Old April 17th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Yes. Apples and Pumpkins.

Ornaments like earrings would look good on girls (kids or grown ups). You need ears pierced for that.

from what i know the significance greater than just for cosmetic benefits.
Something to do with acupuncture; i am not 100% sure. I will ask around.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 05:58 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
from what i know the significance greater than just for cosmetic benefits.
Something to do with acupuncture; i am not 100% sure. I will ask around.
It was done for both boys and girls and was supposed to be compulsory for Hindus.
Health benefits from various Hindu practices float around in WhatsApp and quote NASA or an Ivy League university. But the acupuncture one seems to be new
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had a very interesting conversation with a friend of mine recently and something has been bothering me.

She is going to have a baby in the next 2 months. They decided to circumcise the child (not because of religion; they claim its more hygienic etc).
I did not do it for my child (she asked me why I didnt do it) as I believed perhaps he should be the one to make a call when he grows up and its not a part of my religion anyway.

Now the interesting part is that, she gently points out the hypocrisy in me. I got my daughters ears pierced when she was 8 months (we used numbing gel).
She asked me why I did not feel the need to let my daughter have a say in whether or not she wants her ears pierced.

Am i being a hypocrite? I feel its comparing apples to oranges. female genital mutilation would be equivalent to circumcision.

what are your thoughts?

your friend on echarcha? If not, ask them to join! will be good to exchange views
Old April 24th, 2017, 07:11 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

what are your thoughts?
My 2 cents.. Unless you are a super fiberal or messed up in the head (both prolly are the same things), you will want your biological child to follow your religion, language, culture. How dare she say that to you, that too in a workplace?

I don't let anybody be sermonizing to me, I call them out on their face.
Old April 26th, 2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
My 2 cents.. Unless you are a super fiberal or messed up in the head (both prolly are the same things), you will want your biological child to follow your religion, language, culture. How dare she say that to you, that too in a workplace?

That's what I was checking on when I asked if the friend was from JNU. Added sociology because that's what Swara bhaskar did there.
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Added sociology because that's what Swara bhaskar did there.
Oh, I didn't know that. No wonder she behaved the way she did in Pakistan.

It's amazing though, the number of defense personnel children that are fiberals and into Bollywood.

Priyanka Chopra, Gul Panag, Swara Bhaskar, etc.

that reminds me..

Old April 26th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Banned

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of

Quote:

It's amazing though, the number of defense personnel children that are fiberals and into Bollywood.

that reminds me..

btw, she must be missing her daily azaan time in New York.
btw,..... You forgot Sonam Kapoor and that little recent actress-girl of the Dangal movie.

Agree,... she must have missed azaan time der in NY, but she got an another Big Apple - i.e. the fun of Halala time der,......... if you had seen the serial Quantico's bath and car sex scenes...

Our piggy was Muslim religion favored initially,
if you had seen her with green chaddar to Ajmer sharif's dargaah,... ( that alladdin khilji's guru,... who invited khilji to rob India, destruct temples, and also nude-raped Prithviraj Chauhaan's wife sanyogita in mid-market,... also killed Prithviraj Chauhaan with fraud, kileed tons of Hindus, and such.....

Piggy's favorites - azaan, dargaah, Halala and Haraam
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ij01sTiM-b8/maxresdefault.jpg
Old April 26th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Senior eCharchan

Bhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant future

Quote:

that reminds me..

btw, she must be missing her daily azaan time in New York.
PC is a hyped, overrated, talentless dumbo trying to make a career in H'wood. She would have to kiss goodbye to her pathetic career if she said anything otherwise. To be in bed with the likes of Streep etc. she has to say things like this else she will be like used toilet paper.

Her pauses, gestures and accent are so artificial and damn irritating
Old April 27th, 2017, 05:45 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:

i didn't take this personally; i know this woman very well and i don't think she meant it as an insult. the way i look at it, she called me out on my hypocrisy.