eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Crowning Glory

Notices

Crowning Glory A home for our best content ... award winning created by eCharchans!!

Old August 31st, 2015, 11:02 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Online petition opposes renaming of Aurangzeb road

Yousuf Saeed argues that decision-makers are reacting to popular demands without keeping historical facts in mind.

A day after the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) accepted a proposal to rename Aurangzeb Road in Central Delhi to Dr A P J Abdul Kalam Road, those opposing the move have started an online petition.
Comparing the decision to rename the road to the 1992 demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya, the petitioner, Yousuf Saeed stated, “To many of us, this renaming is symbolically as incorrect and unfortunate as the 1992 demolition of the Babri mosque in Ayodhya, since that was also done on ‘public demand’ and to ‘correct the wrongs of history’.” Saeed is an independent film-maker and researcher based in Delhi.

Addressed to the Prime Minister, the Delhi chief minister, and the NDMC chairperson, Saeed argues that decision-makers are reacting to popular demands without keeping historical facts in mind.
The petition, which garnered 250 signatures within 12 hours of being uploaded, asks whether any scholar was consulted before the road was renamed. It also asks whether any public debate took place to decide the pros and cons of the same.
East Delhi MP Maheish Girri had requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi to rename the road in memory of the late President. Girri had argued that Kalam is a “better example of love and generosity” and that the road be renamed after him, instead of immortalising Aurangzeb’s cruelty.
“Do we want our future generations to remember that the name of one ‘bad’ Muslim was replaced by a ‘good’ Muslim? Is that the kind of history we want to propagate in this country,” reads the petition, while making the appeal that a new road or institution be named after Dr Kalam and the name of Aurangzeb Road be left unchanged.
In another petition, Citizens For Democracy has also termed the renaming of the road as “totally wrong”. It stated that “the decision taken by the NDMC is totally illegal, arbitrary, malafide, unjustified and void…”

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...urangzeb-road/

Last edited by ashdoc; August 31st, 2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:10 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Online petition opposes renaming of Aurangzeb road

First of all, is there a mechanism in place in India where the President or PM will look at online signature campaigns when they reach a certain number? Because if there isn't I would not waste my time on signing the petition.

The white house website has a page where you can begin a petition and the POTUS has made a commitment to considering it given it reaches popular numbers.

Quote:
If a petition meets the signature threshold, it will be reviewed by the Administration and we will issue a response.
Now this particular one was picked up by Mahesh Giri, a MP from Delhi and then Meenakshi Lekhi another MP from Delhi supported it and the wheels rolled, NDMC run by BJP approved it.
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:32 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Aurangzeb was the most cruel ruler and its really amazing that there was a road in his name.
Wonder if there is a road or place named Hitler.
Old August 31st, 2015, 06:35 PM
Senior eCharchan

Dovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud of

Telling you the truth, Even I didn't like the idea. We always read only Negative about him at lower standards. Those who studies history at post graduate level must understand what I am saying.

If we take out these three points out of his reign, he was the best ruler India ever had.
1.) Suppression of Hindu, Sikh, Shia, Sufi people.
2.) Imprisonment of his father
3.) Killing of his brothers for throne.

Point 2 and 3 can be partially justified attributed to, His father spent too much money on building Tajmahal and he was planning to build another one with black marble on other side of Yamuna river. Royal Treasury already exhausted and he put new taxes on people, it was suicidal for empire. Killing brothers for throne was nothing new, lot of people has done it in past.

But there were many good things about him, which we never read till at-least 10th standard (as I never read them in school) Some points I would like to put (Mind it, there is no question about their authenticity, I would never post something unless I am sure)
1.) He extended boundaries of India far beyond even modern boundaries.
2.) He made India largest Economy in the world, During his time India had 26.5% Share in world economy, Highest ever in History. Presently it's probably 2-3%, even for USA it's less than 20%, So you can understand what 26.5% meant.
3.) He provided a strong central leadership, although East India company came into India in 1612, But they dare not try military expansion till 1750, after reign of Aurangzeb.
4.) He never used a single penny of Royal treasury on himself, he used to stitch skullcaps for living, even during meeting he used to stitch caps while discussing important matters.
5.) He never had sex outside marriage.

His military prowess, administrative abilities, financial as well as territorial expansion of India under his rule speak for themselves. Despite being ruler of richest empire he lived like a simple man, never touched women who were not married to him (which was very common practice among rulers from any religion )

My opinion, what he did in name of religion was wrong and even he realized it later in his life he used these words on this death bed to his loved once "Son of my soul…Now I am going alone. I grieve for your helplessness. But what is the use? I have greatly sinned, and I know not what torment awaits me." His coming generations paid for his sins, and Today there is nothing left of one of the mightiest empire in the world, But his contribution toward India as a country are too great to ignore.
Old August 31st, 2015, 06:54 PM
Junior eCharchan

HeySar is a glorious beacon of lightHeySar is a glorious beacon of lightHeySar is a glorious beacon of lightHeySar is a glorious beacon of lightHeySar is a glorious beacon of lightHeySar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Aurangzeb was the most cruel ruler and its really amazing that there was a road in his name.
Wonder if there is a road or place named Hitler.
wiki has a whole list of street names that were renamed after the war. One in France (Strasbourg) was the best renaming.. Adolf-Hitler-Straße was renamed to "rue du Sauvage"

sauvage is a false cognate, which actually means "wild" or "untamed" or "natural"
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:22 PM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post

If we take out these three points out of his reign, he was the best ruler India ever had.
If we take few similar points out, even you can be the best sickular member echarcha ever had.
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:31 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
Telling you the truth, Even I didn't like the idea. We always read only Negative about him at lower standards. Those who studies history at post graduate level must understand what I am saying.

Point 2 and 3 can be partially justified attributed to, His father spent too much money on building Tajmahal and he was planning to build another one with black marble on other side of Yamuna river. Royal Treasury already exhausted and he put new taxes on people, it was suicidal for empire. Killing brothers for throne was nothing new, lot of people has done it in past.

But there were many good things about him, which we never read till at-least 10th standard (as I never read them in school) Some points I would like to put (Mind it, there is no question about their authenticity, I would never post something unless I am sure)
1.) He extended boundaries of India far beyond even modern boundaries.
2.) He made India largest Economy in the world, During his time India had 26.5% Share in world economy, Highest ever in History. Presently it's probably 2-3%, even for USA it's less than 20%, So you can understand what 26.5% meant.
3.) He provided a strong central leadership, although East India company came into India in 1612, But they dare not try military expansion till 1750, after reign of Aurangzeb.
4.) He never used a single penny of Royal treasury on himself, he used to stitch skullcaps for living, even during meeting he used to stitch caps while discussing important matters.
5.) He never had sex outside marriage.

His military prowess, administrative abilities, financial as well as territorial expansion of India under his rule speak for themselves. Despite being ruler of richest empire he lived like a simple man, never touched women who were not married to him (which was very common practice among rulers from any religion )

My opinion, what he did in name of religion was wrong and even he realized it later in his life he used these words on this death bed to his loved once "Son of my soul…Now I am going alone. I grieve for your helplessness. But what is the use? I have greatly sinned, and I know not what torment awaits me." His coming generations paid for his sins, and Today there is nothing left of one of the mightiest empire in the world, But his contribution toward India as a country are too great to ignore.
he himself wasted all the royal treasury on a fruitless war against the marathas . according to sir jadunath sarkar who has written a most authoritative history of aurangzeb , his royal treasury was almost empty at the end of his reign because he spent the last 27 years of his life chasing the marathas in the deccan and fighting a hopeless war against an enemy who resorted to guerilla tactics .
Old September 1st, 2015, 03:55 AM
Super eCharchan

Soorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond reputeSoorma Bhopali has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Online petition opposes renaming of Aurangzeb road

Anyone remember a troll called Aurangzeb who used to be active on this forum in 2001-2002 ..nicknamed Aungu on this forum

Last edited by Soorma Bhopali; September 1st, 2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old September 1st, 2015, 08:28 AM
Junior eCharchan

CanDesi is just really niceCanDesi is just really niceCanDesi is just really niceCanDesi is just really niceCanDesi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Yousuf Saeed argues that decision-makers are reacting to popular demands without keeping historical facts in mind.

A day after the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) accepted a proposal to rename Aurangzeb Road in Central Delhi to Dr A P J Abdul Kalam Road, those opposing the move have started an online petition.
Comparing the decision to rename the road to the 1992 demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya, the petitioner, Yousuf Saeed stated, “To many of us, this renaming is symbolically as incorrect and unfortunate as the 1992 demolition of the Babri mosque in Ayodhya, since that was also done on ‘public demand’ and to ‘correct the wrongs of history’.” Saeed is an independent film-maker and researcher based in Delhi.

Addressed to the Prime Minister, the Delhi chief minister, and the NDMC chairperson, Saeed argues that decision-makers are reacting to popular demands without keeping historical facts in mind.
The petition, which garnered 250 signatures within 12 hours of being uploaded, asks whether any scholar was consulted before the road was renamed. It also asks whether any public debate took place to decide the pros and cons of the same.
East Delhi MP Maheish Girri had requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi to rename the road in memory of the late President. Girri had argued that Kalam is a “better example of love and generosity” and that the road be renamed after him, instead of immortalising Aurangzeb’s cruelty.
“Do we want our future generations to remember that the name of one ‘bad’ Muslim was replaced by a ‘good’ Muslim? Is that the kind of history we want to propagate in this country,” reads the petition, while making the appeal that a new road or institution be named after Dr Kalam and the name of Aurangzeb Road be left unchanged.
In another petition, Citizens For Democracy has also termed the renaming of the road as “totally wrong”. It stated that “the decision taken by the NDMC is totally illegal, arbitrary, malafide, unjustified and void…”

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...urangzeb-road/

Interesting fact is Re-naming Aurangzeb road was suggested by one Pakistan born writer Tarek Fateh.

Tarek Fatah- speech demanding name change of "Aurangzeb road" in delhi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTADTMhEFg

Details by Tarek Fatah
http://www.firstpost.com/living/why-...m-2414280.html
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:02 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorma Bhopali View Post
Anyone remember a troll called Aurangzeb who used to be active on this forum in 2001-2002 ..nicknamed Aungu on this forum
That was Vikings Duplicate ID . It was proved beyond doubt that he was just screwing around........ with himself.
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:15 AM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanDesi View Post
Interesting fact is Re-naming Aurangzeb road was suggested by one Pakistan born writer Tarek Fateh.

Tarek Fatah- speech demanding name change of "Aurangzeb road" in delhi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTADTMhEFg

Details by Tarek Fatah
http://www.firstpost.com/living/why-...m-2414280.html
I never understood why Tarek is so anti-Pakistani.

I like Hassan Nisar more than him

jeetIAF
Old September 2nd, 2015, 02:31 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetiaf View Post
I never understood why Tarek is so anti-Pakistani.

I like Hassan Nisar more than him

jeetIAF
He is pro-Balochi. Also feels Pakistan is misusing Islam, and that one section has dominated and thus killed diversity from the beginning. Like Urdu was forced upon them, as opposed to Sindhi, Punjabi and other languages/regional identities that were forcibly suppressed.

Living outside of Pakistan for many years I think he has evovled a slight Western view.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 03:02 AM

changed in google maps as well.. when Rajesh Pilot can have his own marg, why not Kalam.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:46 AM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

Well congrats on changing history

Now will the govt monitor Onion prices?

jeetIAF
Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:55 AM

Will Congress stop hoarding onions? Like they did and people of Delhi voted out a good govt and brought Sheila Dickshit. Come to think of it public of Delhi is quite gullible.