eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old June 26th, 2015, 10:15 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Movie reviews of some off beat films that I saw recently

Ishq kay parindey

'Ishq kay parindey' ( The doves of romance ) is a Indo Pak love story set in the city of nawabs---Lucknow . Embellished with soulful music and poetry , the film truely showcases the royal culture of Lucknow .

Unlike other Indo Pak love stories where the religious angle is important , here it is not ; both the hero and the heroine belong to the same religion . But the hero Faiz ( played by Rishi Verma ) is an Indian who makes it clear in some dialogues that his loyalties lie with India , while the heroine Sheen ( played by Priyanka Mehta ) is a Pakistani .

SHEEN !! The name brings Kashmir in mind....for in the kashmiri language sheen means snow , and there has already been a film on Kashmir called Sheen which was made in 2004 ( I have reviewed it ; search for the review if you want ) . However in the arabic language sheen means beautiful .

If Sheen is taken to represent Kashmir , then director Shakir Khan has played a deft hand indeed....for Sheen who comes from Karachi in Pakistan is fond of saying that even in Pakistan she used to say that she was half Hindustani ( Indian ) because she had relatives in India . And now that she has come to visit India , she never intends to leave ; she is in love with the land and it's people---heartwarming stuff for Indians indeed....

And she is in love with an Indian too---for the director effortlessly weaves an old fashioned romance between Faiz and Sheen ; old fashioned because it starts with love letters sent on kites and carrier pigeons before Sheen takes the lead in giving her mobile phone number to Faiz . And the romance continues amidst the old world charm of Lucknow , in the picturesque locales that dot the city---Rumi Gate, Bara Imambara, Hazrat Ganj, Sheesh Mahal, Qaiser Bagh, Begum Hazrat Mahal Maqbara, Residency, Jehangirabad Palace, Sultanat Manzil, Dada Miyan Dargah, Teelewaali Masjid and many others .

The relaxed mood which the romance puts you in is heightened by the lovely songs and beautiful poetry in the film , with dialogues laced with the urdu language . The photography of the green countryside and historical monuments is good too , with shots of doves flying in the air....

And frankly , I never wanted the spiel of romance to break ; I wanted to soak in the romantic atmosphere and go to sleep with dreams of romance....
But beyond dreams is the real world , the the real world consists of some cruel people....Sheen has to come to terms with the fact that the pacific Faiz has a brother who is a gangster....and she cannot come to terms with that fact !! For she has come to India to escape the endemic violence in Pakistan that has claimed the lives of practically all her relatives there , and is not mentally prepared to live with Faiz's violent relatives .

So she prepares to marry another man , leaving Faiz shattered....

So does she marry another man ??
Or are we in for the Romeo and Juliet of the 21st century , given the violent propensities of both her new fiance and Faiz's relatives ??
Watch the movie for the answers....

I particularly liked the soulful songs and fine poetry of the film , and it's nice photography....but the beauty of the heroine Priyanka Mehta was worth a watch too--large blue grey eyes and silken pink skin....
Acting was decent by everyone .

The message of the director is---peace....peace between India and Pakistan , peace for the lovers immerse themselves in love , peace for Kashmir---if Sheen indeed is meant to represent it....
And unlike the trend today , the director is not shy of saying or at least hinting that India is a better place than Pakistan....that did make me a little bit happy....and biased me in favour of the film....

Verdict---decent .
Three stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:19 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie reviews of some off beat films that I saw recently

Coffee bloom

'Coffee Bloom' is set in the lovely coffee plantations of Coorg , a mountainous and scenic region of penisular India . And the cinematographer does justice to the scenery in which the film has been shot , by showcasing the verdant land full of lush greenery and lakes and beautiful forests . One gets in to a relaxed mood on seeing the superb landscape , and does not want to see any trouble break into this paradise....

....But trouble does come , in the form of a troubled young man ( Dev Cariappa played by Arjun Mathur ) who has a permanently skewed expression on his face . His life has gone off course years ago , after his elopement with his girlfriend was derailed by her parents and she was separated from him by brute force . He then sold his coffee plantation in Coorg in a fit of frustration and retreated into renouncement of the world altogether to try to become an ascetic . But the death of his mother forces him to face the real world , and he realizes his mistake in selling the lush green coffee plantation that was family property . And he comes back to Coorg---the land of his ancestors , the land where he grew up , the land with so many childhood memories...to try to reclaim the land .

And what does he come face to face with in his land ?? His woman....or rather his ex girlfriend Anika ( played by Sugandha Garg )....It is her husband who owns the plantation now , and he is known as Vas ( actually Vas is short form of Srinivas Panicker , played by Mohan Kapoor ) . Vas is a jolly good fellow who may be a nice guy but has little in the way of brains . He dreams of having a coffee bloom in his plantation without any technical knowledge of growing coffee and hires Dev the coffee growing expert , not knowing that it is Dev's former land....

Hmm....Dev's former land and Dev's former woman---Vas is in possession of them both....And Dev is determined to get them both back , by hook or crook....and sparks fly between Dev and Anika , who looks good in chest hugging and cleavage baring tops....but the situation is complicated by the entry of the Bengali woman who loves Dev , and who outmatches Anika due to her buxom figure and her full body and her wet saris and her sleeveless blouses....

So who what happens next ?? Will Dev get his land and his woman and his revenge over his wrongs and his life.....will he get them back ?? What about the innocent Vas who is not party to any of these secrets ?? What is the role of the bengali woman in all this ??

All the actors act out their part well , but the best acting is by Mohan Kapoor . He puts joi de vivre in his role , endlessly yak yaking from his mouth and seeming like a genuine person . You really feel sympathy for his character , completely oblivious to the storm brewing around him while he is dreaming of brewing coffee !! Compared to him , Dev ( Arjun Mathur ) looks like a selfish and self centered person constantly brooding over past wrongs . Anika maintains her composure even though she is caught between two men , Sugandha Garg has acted that role well . Ultimately it is the Bengali woman who urges Dev to do what is right....

I was pleasantly surprised by the lovely locations and breathtaking scenery of the film , the acting of the actors , and the good direction and storyline , and above all by the fine ending !! And I was happy that there are little gems to be discovered in the world of film making and this film is such a gem....
There is only one song and it is hummable , and the music is good and apt for the situations .

One day I hope to visit Coorg ; but if I can't then I will watch it in this film....

Verdict---Good .
Three and a half stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:20 PM
senior echarchan

Jigariya

Agra---famous for the world's most iconic monument for love , the Taj mahal built by mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory for his lost wife Mumtaz mahal....and therefore a fit setting for some old fashioned no holds barred romance that seems to have happened in another age....

....But that age still lives in India , for this story is supposed to be actually inspired by true events that probably occurred in the 20th century....

So we head towards the state of Uttar pradesh where Agra is situated , to those backwaters of India where practical matters rarely rule young lovers' minds like they do in modern cities like Mumbai/Bombay and Delhi , and people are ready to do and die for love....

.....And where such stories exist , there ashdoc goes---for somewhere inside me there is the heart of a hopeless romantic....
I could not watch this movie in the theatres when it was released a few months back , and all my efforts to get a DVD/VCD of it failed for the simple reason that the film has not been released in that version....so I was forced to watch it in youtube , where a grainy video of the film exists....

So Shyamlal Gupta ( Shamu---played by Harshvardhan Deo ) is the son of the owner of a sweetmeats shop . He is a wastrel---fails in college repeatedly , does not help his father in the shop , and spends his time idling the time away with his good for nothing friends . His only passion is creating poetry , a talent in which he excels and in which he is really original---to the point of dreaming of becoming a writer . But one day he lays his eyes on Radha ( played by Cherry Mardia ) , the goodlooking daughter of a rich man .And he falls in love with her . Showing an enthusiasm which he rarely shows in studies and work , he chases her rentlessly with the help of his friends till he locates her , and then claws his way into her house by winning the admiration of her grandmother using various tricks . Radha is initially reluctant to befriend him , but he is helped by a stroke of fortune----she turns out to be a aficionado of poetry just like him , and she is so impressed by his poetry that she gradually falls in love with him .

And then life gets the soft and endearing glow of requited romance....a romance that is played out in the magnificent monuments that the city of Agra possesses ; historical monuments that are the legacy of the rule of mughal emperors who had made Agra the capital city of their sprawling empire . It happens in the shadow of the Taj , and in a fashion which the emperor Shah Jahan would have approved....Shamu sits on an imaginary throne with a rose in his hand in the fashion of the great mughal , and Radha dances in front of him as if she is a dancing girl dancing in front of a mughal emperor ; and at the end of her performance , the emperor of her heart bestows her with his rose....needless to say , such scenes are possible only when both lovers are fond of poetry....

Uptil now , the film had a lighthearted tone and was full of funny scenes ; but suddenly the movie became intense as reality strikes....and that reality is all too familiar to people in these backward parts of India---the girl's family comes to know of the romance , and predictably they are appalled by their daughter's love for a person of a status that is not equal to them....
To be honest , I must congratulate the director for not showing violence being unleashed at this point ; for the situation was ripe for that . Ultimately the violence does come however , though only towards the end....

So what happens to the romance of the two lovebirds ?? Can it overcome all the obstacles to fulfil it's destiny ??
Watch the movie for the answers....I waited a long time to see a pathetic quality video of this film on youtube , but still felt that it was worth it....
And unless the film comes on TV , only that video is available for watching it....but those who have yen for romance as well as poetry will not regret watching this film .

The director and the actors excel in showing passion of love , a passion that may seem far fetched for those with practical minds ; and passion that can make the lovers cross the threshold of the impossible....but that passion seems fit in the shadow of the world's most iconic monument for love---the Taj mahal , what else....
Photography and music is good , and acting by everyone is good too .

At the end of it all , my only wish was that the film should have had a happier ending . But the film is supposedly based on a real life incident , and reality is always grim....so sometimes is life !!

Verdict---Good .
Three stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:22 PM
senior echarchan

Dozakh in search of heaven

''It is in the the midst of conflict that I found my peace''....or rather , I found my entertainment....
Nothing interests me more than films about religious conflict ; I never fail to watch a film that shows religions in rivalry with each other , it is cinematic heaven for me....So as soon as I heard about 'Dozakh in search of heaven' , I went to the multiplex in search of this nirvana...err heaven...

It deals with the story of a mullah who lives in a town near the holiest of holies for hindus---the city of Varanasi , called Benaras by the local people . The town where the mullah ( played by Lalit Mohan Tiwari ) lives is separated from Benaras by the mighty Ganges river .

But the gulf between the religion of the mullah ( Islam ) and the religion of the majority of the people around him ( Hinduism ) is greater than the width or the depth of the Ganges . Daily the mullah competes with the priest of the neighbouring Hindu temple to produce the maximum noise during morning prayers .

But his son Jan Muhammad ( played by Garrick Chaudhary ) , fondly called as Jaanu is too small and innocent to understand the differences between religions . He is fascinated by the Ram leela ( play enacting the Hindu epic Ramayan ) that is enacted by the neighbouring hindus , and takes part in it as the character of Hanuman the devotee of the Hindu God Ram . He has a friendship with the priest of the Hindu temple who gives him food and teaches him about Hindu customs and rituals . All this is not liked by his father , who beats his own son occasionally for the perfidy of partaking in Hindu habits .

But Jaanu continues his interest in Hindu customs and is convinced about the superiority of the Hindu custom of burning the bodies of the dead compared to the Muslim custom of burying the body . He develops a phobia of being buried in a dark grave after his death , and tells his father innocently that he does not want to be buried but rather would like to be cremated after death .

The crisis of the movie occurs when the boy loses his mother in an accident . He does not want her buried , and tries to dig her out of her grave after burial . Above all , he really believes the Hindu priest's story of the holy river Ganga ( Ganges ) being the mother of everyone , and begins to think that if he dives into the Ganga he might be able to meet his lost mother....

So what happens next ?? Where will the path taken by Jaanu lead him to ??

The path taken by the innocent Jaanu and the mullah's decision to do as Jaanu would have wanted it to be , will make the fundamentalists of both religions hang their heads in shame....

The movie is embellished with some fine acting performances by Garrick Chaudhary as the sweet little boy Jaanu and Lalit Mohan Tiwari as his father along with Ruby saini as the mother and Nazim Khan as the Hindu priest .
Editing however is rank sloppy , and voice synchronization with lip movements is not at all correct . This is because of the shoe string budget of the film . All this does not take away from the film's message and emotion . It has already won awards in film festivals and justly deserves them . However it will be liked only by the art movie lovers .

Verdict---Very decent .
Three stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old August 9th, 2015, 01:43 PM
senior echarchan

Desi kattey

The state of Uttar Pradesh---rustic heart of the real India....

And at the banks of the Ganges river is a small town which is the center for the manufacture of home made revolvers known as 'kattey' in plural....

......For the 'katta' plays an important part in the politics of the region....

The 'katta' revolver can hold only one bullet at a time , and has to be reloaded to fire again.....but sometimes it gets damaged in one firing itself and cannot ever fire again....sometimes it explodes while firing in the hand of the person holding it.....now isn't that uniquely Indian !!

.....That's what I felt on seeing this film----even though my native state is not Uttar Pradesh , after a long time of seeing films with glamour made in glitzy locations I felt that I was in the real India ; in my land , among my people !!

And the photography made me feel even more so---photography of the river Ganga flowing serenely through the evergreen countryside ; photography of bridges over the mighty river being crossed by overloaded railway trains which are the lifeline of the nation....

In this town are born and bred two inseparable friends---Pali and Gyani....
They learn to live fight and eat together....and naturally they become expert in the art of firing the 'katta' revolver which has made their town both notorious and famous....

And as they grow their expertise in firing guns and fighting foes increases and so does their friendship.....
And they believe they can't do without each other....

Opportunities beckon people with such remarkable skills---for the ganglords of the region notice their talents and give them a chance to work for them.....
And as the ganglords turn into politicians the power and aura of the deadly duo increases....

It's a life of crime---of pumping bullets into their bosses' rivals and punching hard those who offended their masters....a life of deadly games with death and vows of everlasting vengeance....

But somewhere in the heart of one of the two ( Pali ) is a gentleman and a romantic.....for who other than him would dare to fall in love since childhood with an older woman who has been used and abused by a dozen men if not more( played by Tia Bajpai of woman-getting-exploited roles fame )and then proposing her and marrying her.....

It seems life has set a course of violence for the two of them....
.....Until an an army major ( played by Sunil Shetty ) comes to them with the idea of using their astonishing skills with the gun to win medals for India in distant lands and in international championships....a life of respectability and success....a life of firing pistols of international quality instead of inferior homemade revolvers....
And to add to the rewards he has a delicious sister ( played by Sasha Agha ) with smooth pink skin and light eyes who looks good enough to eat , and who begins to like Gyani....

As hard training using the new high class weapons is being enforced on them by the major , at the same time the gangland boss ( played by Ashutosh Rana ) wants to make the two his partners in his multi million rupee business as enforcers....

So on one side is a life of ambition and normalcy with the major who wants the two to become sportsmen....
And on the other is what the two dreamt of becoming all their life before the major and his delicious sister came in their lives ....
On one side is the glory of triumphing with medals carrying the the nation's flag in the whole wide world....
On the other is the fear and power of becoming crimelords of their own little corner of the world....

And it is left for one of the two friends to choose one kind of life and the other to choose the other life....

So who chooses which type of life ??
What happens to their inseparable friendship ??
Does the underworld let go easily of it's tryst with them ??

The movie has melodious musical score sung well by the redoubtable Kailash Kher .
And it has some emotional scenes towards the end---of friendship , of love ; and of holding steadfast to that love and friendship in the midst of betrayal....

Acting by Akhil Kapur ( as Pali ) and Jay Bhanushali ( as Gyani ) was not good in the beginning and this fact was compounded by their weak voices . But as the movie moved on their acting improved and became better---just in time for the emotional scenes....

And as the scenes turned emotional the movie looked better , because even in the midst of emotion it was never short of some gun toting action....

Stayed true to it's name....

Verdict---I quite liked this story of innocent old fashioned actionpacked friendship set in the not-so-innocent 21st century .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:12 PM
senior echarchan

Roar !! Tigers of the sundarbans

Where there is ambition there is effort to achieve that ambition , and if the effort yields results ashdoc is there to applaud---especially if the effort is a film....

So I launched myself into seeing director Kamal Sadanah's ambitious film---Roar !! Tigers of the Sunderbans....

So what are the Sunberbans ??
They are the forests straddling the Bengal region of the Indian subcontinent where the Ganges meets the mighty Brahmaputra river to form the largest delta on earth---a region crisscrossed by thousands of rivulets and canals and inhabited by scores of animals including the Royal Bengal tiger . Bengal also has the famous white tiger , and though the Sunderbans region does not contain any white tigers it is a white tiger who forms the core of the story....

A young photographer goes to photograph tigers and stumbles upon a white tiger cub from being poached by poachers , only to save it and bring it to his camp . But the tigress mother thinks that he has snatched the cub and attacks and kills him . The photographer's brother ( Pandit ) swears revenge on the tiger and forms a team of like minded individuals who descend on to the Sunberbans like a pack of wolves to kill the tiger....

Of course , the premise that it is right to kill a mute animal for fulfilling the lust for revenge is as corny as hell---whatever be the sin of the tiger....
But it is a premise that propels the story forward , and as the story turns interesting you forget the silliness of the premise....

So Pandit and his swarm move into the tiger territory of the Sundarbans despite the warnings of the female warden not to do so---and they move in on motorboats carrying the most sophisticated arms and gadgets like automatic rifles and infrared detectors and parachutes propelled by engines and whatnot....

And they also move in with the most sexy women possible....

AAAHH !! The women....
One is the tracker ( Jhumpa ) whom they have hired for showing the tiger tracks leading to the tiger...
The other ( CJ ) is an important component of the expedition....
So who is more sexier of the two ??
Of course , Jhumpa does try her level best to entice us by spraying her legs apart at the head of the boat and wearing skimpy navel exposing clothes and dancing sensuously at a tribal dance....and she is pretty good too...
But it is CJ who scores because she has more bouncier tiits and a more protruding butt....
And is it because Jhumpa cannot equal CJ in delicious charm that CJ is killed early in the film to let Jhumpa fulfill her role as heroine of the film---I found myself mourning for CJ's early exit from the film...when was I going to see those bouncy tiits again....??

Back to the story....
As Pandit and his team moves into core of the tiger sanctuary into territory from where no human has ever escaped before, they begin to find that their technowizardry is not a match against the forces of nature....
One by one the tigers begin to kill the members of the hunting party....
All the tricks they employ to trap tigers fail and it is the hunters who become the hunted....
The tigers are being helped by other animals in the forest , like crocodiles and poisonous snakes....
And even humans are against them too---for the leader of a gang of tiger poachers wants to get them bumped off , and Jhumpa who has been fooled into thinking that the group had come to photograph tigers realises the truth and is hellbent of stopping them from murdering tigers....
The odds seem stacked against the hunting party....And that seems to be divine justice ; punishment for embarking on such a spiteful mission of killing a white tigress mother who was only trying to protect her cubs....

So does the group succeed in it's mission to kill the white tigress ??
Or does it perish in the wilderness ??
Go and watch the movie for that....

The movie is embellished with some great photography and visual effects---photography of green dense forests and wide rivers and of golden sunsets and misty dawns ; visual effects of ferocious tigers pouncing upon their unsuspecting prey and crocodiles lunging undetected from ancient rivers and of snakes snaking around in the undergrowth and biting those who trample on them....
I dare say even Hollywood would not be ashamed of such cinematography and special effects....

The action scenes seem authentic and the firing of modern weapons by able bodied men seems real....
Also real is the almighty roar of the tiger in the film---enough to put the fear of God in you...
Acting by everyone lacks depth , but such a film does not require any great histrionics....
Music is only so so....
But the film does have an emotional core , and does build towards an uplifting climax...

So does the film mark a personal triumph for director Kamal Sadanah after all the misfortunes of life ( his father producer Brij Sadanah shot dead his mother and sister and then committed suicide 24 years ago after his sister's engagement party ) ?? A coming of age as director after not succeeding as an actor ??
That is question only the audience can answer by making the film a hit or flop at the box office....

Maybe Kamal can take leaf from the Bhagwad gita which says---you should only do your task ; should not bother about fruits of the actions....
And as far as the task is concerned , one can say that Kamal has put his best foot forward....

Verdict---The film rip roaringly delivered , at least for me....

Last edited by ashdoc; August 9th, 2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old April 11th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Coffee bloom

'Coffee Bloom' is set in the lovely coffee plantations of Coorg , a mountainous and scenic region of penisular India . And the cinematographer does justice to the scenery in which the film has been shot , by showcasing the verdant land full of lush greenery and lakes and beautiful forests . One gets in to a relaxed mood on seeing the superb landscape , and does not want to see any trouble break into this paradise....

....But trouble does come , in the form of a troubled young man ( Dev Cariappa played by Arjun Mathur ) who has a permanently skewed expression on his face . His life has gone off course years ago , after his elopement with his girlfriend was derailed by her parents and she was separated from him by brute force . He then sold his coffee plantation in Coorg in a fit of frustration and retreated into renouncement of the world altogether to try to become an ascetic . But the death of his mother forces him to face the real world , and he realizes his mistake in selling the lush green coffee plantation that was family property . And he comes back to Coorg---the land of his ancestors , the land where he grew up , the land with so many childhood memories...to try to reclaim the land .

And what does he come face to face with in his land ?? His woman....or rather his ex girlfriend Anika ( played by Sugandha Garg )....It is her husband who owns the plantation now , and he is known as Vas ( actually Vas is short form of Srinivas Panicker , played by Mohan Kapoor ) . Vas is a jolly good fellow who may be a nice guy but has little in the way of brains . He dreams of having a coffee bloom in his plantation without any technical knowledge of growing coffee and hires Dev the coffee growing expert , not knowing that it is Dev's former land....

Hmm....Dev's former land and Dev's former woman---Vas is in possession of them both....And Dev is determined to get them both back , by hook or crook....and sparks fly between Dev and Anika , who looks good in chest hugging and cleavage baring tops....but the situation is complicated by the entry of the Bengali woman who loves Dev , and who outmatches Anika due to her buxom figure and her full body and her wet saris and her sleeveless blouses....

So who what happens next ?? Will Dev get his land and his woman and his revenge over his wrongs and his life.....will he get them back ?? What about the innocent Vas who is not party to any of these secrets ?? What is the role of the bengali woman in all this ??

All the actors act out their part well , but the best acting is by Mohan Kapoor . He puts joi de vivre in his role , endlessly yak yaking from his mouth and seeming like a genuine person . You really feel sympathy for his character , completely oblivious to the storm brewing around him while he is dreaming of brewing coffee !! Compared to him , Dev ( Arjun Mathur ) looks like a selfish and self centered person constantly brooding over past wrongs . Anika maintains her composure even though she is caught between two men , Sugandha Garg has acted that role well . Ultimately it is the Bengali woman who urges Dev to do what is right....

I was pleasantly surprised by the lovely locations and breathtaking scenery of the film , the acting of the actors , and the good direction and storyline , and above all by the fine ending !! And I was happy that there are little gems to be discovered in the world of film making and this film is such a gem....
There is only one song and it is hummable , and the music is good and apt for the situations .

One day I hope to visit Coorg ; but if I can't then I will watch it in this film....

Verdict---Good .
Three and a half stars .
Reading Kalidas's half completed stories is much better then reading Ashdoc's half movie review
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:01 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Reading Kalidas's half completed stories is much better then reading Ashdoc's half movie review
it is not right to reveal the whole story in a review .
Old December 31st, 2015, 08:03 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Remember almost all of 85 and 86, DD used to telecast art movies on Sunday evening, disappointing all the audience.
Contrarian me however used to like many of these like 'Andhi Gali', 'Ek Ruka hua faisla', 'Paar', etc.
Anyone remember one movie called 'Yeh woh Manzil to nahin'. If so, would it be available anywhere on line. There are only small portions on youtube the last time i checked.
Old December 31st, 2015, 08:27 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Remember almost all of 85 and 86, DD used to telecast art movies on Sunday evening, disappointing all the audience.
Contrarian me however used to like many of these like 'Andhi Gali', 'Ek Ruka hua faisla', 'Paar', etc.
Anyone remember one movie called 'Yeh woh Manzil to nahin'. If so, would it be available anywhere on line. There are only small portions on youtube the last time i checked.
Haven't heard of this movie, can't find it even now, may be on torrents, let me search.

I like art movies better, they have good content, and like independent movies all they have is the story, and often have good actors. Wife wanted to watch 'ek doctor ki maut' on youtube recently.. I was like that movie frustrates me so badly.. because its true, the struggle of talent in India and how the people around pull them down because they can never be that lotus blooming in murky water.
Old December 31st, 2015, 10:45 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Haven't heard of this movie, can't find it even now, may be on torrents, let me search.
It stars Pankaj Kapoor, playing a student who is being hunted by college goondas (Like NSUI used to be). Apparently is very real in terms of 'college politics'. i had forgotten the name too and Located it on IMDb after a long search.
It played on DD in the 80s, i watched a part of it. afterwards, some friends praised it.

They played 'Adult' art movies later on like 'Arth' at 10 PM. There was also 'lacemaker' and some russian movies.

I was wondering since doc ji is into a lot such movies, whether he had come across this one.
Old January 1st, 2016, 09:17 AM
senior echarchan

Dr Zhivago ( 1965 )

The movie tells the saga of the Russian revolution through the story of Dr Zhivago---a doctor and a poet....

It's the story of Russia through those turbulent times....

A story of lives torn apart....

A story of peoples' existence buffeted by the giant winds of history....

A story of human privacy extinguished and finished....

A story of personal feelings and ambitions crushed by the power of the state....

And amidst all this , one man ( Dr Zhivago ) tries desperately to hold on to his life and his dignity and his freedom....

And amidst all the horror around him , he finds time for love and passion and romance....

But those sweet moments of love and passion and romance come all too briefly for Dr Zhivago....

They come too briefly for him because all around him the revolution is destroying lives and putting an end to freedom....

Yet in getting those tender moments of love and romance , Dr Zhivago is an exceptionally lucky Russian....

Yes , exceptionally lucky because all around him people are fighting and dying and killing....

That's the condition of Russia in those stormy days....

A condition that is brought about magnificently in this film....

The film brings about the Russian revolution to life in all it's glory and suffering and pity and devastation....

But it's a film....

And as films go , it's main concentration is on an individual's life and his triumphs and his tragedies....

Sadly , there are more tragedies than triumphs in the life of Dr Zhivago....

And the same is story of every Russian....

Indeed , your heart goes out to every Russian male and female to have gone through so much grief....

And you salute their endurance to endure it all....

So what about the story of Dr Zhivago ??

It's long and convoluted and full of coincidental encounters of people in the most unlikeliest of places---encounters that propel the story forward....

And what a story and what a film....

Embellished with superb photography showcasing the incredible vastness of Russia....

Photography of the Russian landscape full of massive plains and swift flowing rivers and snowcapped mountain peaks....

And a film with a scintillating and heartstopping musical score known as Lara's theme which one listens to in awestruck silence.....

Geraldine Chaplin plays Zhivago's wife and the stunning Julie Christie plays his lover , and together the form a love triangle that never explodes into confrontation....

But what explodes is the history of Russia as Russians' peaceful lives are disrupted by the first world war....

As the Germans invade Russia , the communists are hoping for a Russian defeat---for defeat will bring about the revolution they want....

And as revolution comes , the lives of Dr Zhivago and his wife and the woman he eventually falls in love with go topsyturvy like a seesaw as they are thrown from one place to another....

From Moscow to Siberia they are thrown in a cattle train being transported like animals....

From the train to a lovely dacha hidden in the snowy mountains--- a dacha which forms a love nest for Zhivago and his wife and later for Zhivago and his lover....

But Dr Zhivago's services are needed by the red army and he is forced to abandon both his women to serve in the army....

And when he escapes , he returns to find his wife deported to a foreign land....

And Lara ( Zhivago's lover )---what about her ??
A beautiful woman like her has too many admirers and she has a past of being raped and later of having a husband who is a bolshevic.....

The stories of Dr Zhivago and his wife and Lara and her husband and rapist are all twisted and churned by the tidal wave of Russia's history....

First the world war and then the revolution and then civil war...

As they are all brought together and separated and then brought together again by the turns in the story , the main question is---can they survive it all....??

And is survival worth it ??

Has life any meaning at all in all the horror ??

Watch the movie for answers to all this....

I guarantee that your money wont be wasted....

Verdict---fabulous .
Old January 1st, 2016, 09:25 AM
senior echarchan

Memoirs of a geisha

The setting is Japan , where Geishas have their own place in society .

Narration of the film is done in the wonderfully old voice of a Geisha who has been through the ups and downs of life . And as is typical in the life stories of fallen women ( and a Geisha IS a fallen woman , no matter how sophisticated she is ) , she has been sold as a sex slave when she was a child along with her sister by her father who desperately needs the money .

The first 45 minutes of the movie are tragic and are filled with heart rending moments , like the moment when the leading actress and her sister are separated from each other permanently to go to different brothels . And as is inevitable in these stories , their attempts to escape from the hell they are in are unsuccessful .

To be honest I can't make myself see these stories of women sold into sex slavery for giving pleasure to men , for to me human trafficking is the worst crime on the planet . But something made me hold on to seeing the rest of the movie---maybe it was the atmosphere of the mystical orient that the movie creates . Even though I am an oriental myself ( I am from India ) , this was a different variety of orient I was seeing---the Japanese form .

And the film certainly recreates the society of Japan on celluloid , and it also wonderfully recreates the era of the 1930s in Japan . Photography is good too , though the film looks like it has forever been shot in the dark ; maybe that is because it deals with ladies of the night....

Or maybe that is because the film deals with a dark theme---the life of a Geisha , which is filled with many moments of sorrow and others of despair....

But our heroine ( here I revert to the Indian practice of calling the character played by the leading actress as 'heroine' ) is a lionheart , trying to survive through all the heartbreak and trying to triumph against the odds . And heartbreaking moments are many , brought about by a jealous rival older geisha who fears that our heroine may outclass her in the profession one day , and also brought by those whose ambitions are destroyed by our heroine's march towards success .

However in her march towards success , our heroine breaks one golden rule of a geisha---that as woman born to give pleasure to many men she cannot fall in love . For love demands fidelity to one person and her profession is such that she cannot remain loyal to one man .

Instead , our heroine has one outstanding desire in among all the trials and tribulations in life---to get as close to and be a part of the life of the man she has fallen in love with . And she is ready to strain her wits and renounce her pleasures to reach her goal . But her enemies come to know about her secret desire too , and use it to give her further heartache . How long will she hold on to hope....??

The second world war interrupts this world and temporarily the life of our heroine is turned upside down . And at the end of the war comes a new phenomenon---the American occupation of the country . Along with the occupation come American soldiers flush with dollars and also flush with unbridled lust....

So how does our lovely geisha cope with the new situation ??
Does she get the love of the man she has dared to love for so long ?? Does he even know about it ??
Does a woman of her profession and in her situation have the right to fall in love at all ??
Can a woman sold as a sex slave in childhood ever dream of happiness ??

Watch the movie for the answers....it will be a good watch....

The whole world loves a lover.....
And like a hopeless romantic I found myself rooting for the heroine to get her love and her happiness .

Or maybe that was the effect of the film....
.....For the director has woven tapestry of romance wonderfully over the setting of the film in the magical orient . And he has created a bygone era peace and war with practiced ease on the silver screen . It would be hard to resist seeing such a tale on celluloid....

Verdict---Very good .
Old December 24th, 2016, 07:47 AM

Saw Dr Zhivago yesterday. Used the Library Blu ray mode suggested by Jagguji. Is a long movie but you get engrossed if you watch over an hour, which happened in the 3rd attempt for me. Shows how a well off doctor is affected by communism and how some who were resourceful manage to do well both during Tsar and Communist rule.
Docji, i was searching for a review from you on this, but surprisingly did not find it. I am sure you would have seen it.
Old December 24th, 2016, 08:55 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Saw Dr Zhivago yesterday. Used the Library Blu ray mode suggested by Jagguji. Is a long movie but you get engrossed if you watch over an hour, which happened in the 3rd attempt for me. Shows how a well off doctor is affected by communism and how some who were resourceful manage to do well both during Tsar and Communist rule.
Docji, i was searching for a review from you on this, but surprisingly did not find it. I am sure you would have seen it.
Ashdoc's movie review---Dr Zhivago

The movie tells the saga of the Russian revolution through the story of Dr Zhivago---a doctor and a poet....

It's the story of Russia through those turbulent times....

A story of lives torn apart....

A story of peoples' existence buffeted by the giant winds of history....

A story of human privacy extinguished and finished....

A story of personal feelings and ambitions crushed by the power of the state....

And amidst all this , one man ( Dr Zhivago ) tries desperately to hold on to his life and his dignity and his freedom....

And amidst all the horror around him , he finds time for love and passion and romance....

But those sweet moments of love and passion and romance come all too briefly for Dr Zhivago....

They come too briefly for him because all around him the revolution is destroying lives and putting an end to freedom....

Yet in getting those tender moments of love and romance , Dr Zhivago is an exceptionally lucky Russian....

Yes , exceptionally lucky because all around him people are fighting and dying and killing....

That's the condition of Russia in those stormy days....

A condition that is brought about magnificently in this film....

The film brings about the Russian revolution to life in all it's glory and suffering and pity and devastation....

But it's a film....

And as films go , it's main concentration is on an individual's life and his triumphs and his tragedies....

Sadly , there are more tragedies than triumphs in the life of Dr Zhivago....

And the same is story of every Russian....

Indeed , your heart goes out to every Russian male and female to have gone through so much grief....

And you salute their endurance to endure it all....

So what about the story of Dr Zhivago ??

It's long and convoluted and full of coincidental encounters of people in the most unlikeliest of places---encounters that propel the story forward....

And what a story and what a film....

Embellished with superb photography showcasing the incredible vastness of Russia....

Photography of the Russian landscape full of massive plains and swift flowing rivers and snowcapped mountain peaks....

And a film with a scintillating and heartstopping musical score known as Lara's theme which one listens to in awestruck silence.....

Geraldine Chaplin plays Zhivago's wife and the stunning Julie Christie plays his lover , and together the form a love triangle that never explodes into confrontation....

But what explodes is the history of Russia as Russians' peaceful lives are disrupted by the first world war....

As the Germans invade Russia , the communists are hoping for a Russian defeat---for defeat will bring about the revolution they want....

And as revolution comes , the lives of Dr Zhivago and his wife and the woman he eventually falls in love with go topsyturvy like a seesaw as they are thrown from one place to another....

From Moscow to Siberia they are thrown in a cattle train being transported like animals....

From the train to a lovely dacha hidden in the snowy mountains--- a dacha which forms a love nest for Zhivago and his wife and later for Zhivago and his lover....

But Dr Zhivago's services are needed by the red army and he is forced to abandon both his women to serve in the army....

And when he escapes , he returns to find his wife deported to a foreign land....

And Lara ( Zhivago's lover )---what about her ??
A beautiful woman like her has too many admirers and she has a past of being raped and later of having a husband who is a bolshevic.....

The stories of Dr Zhivago and his wife and Lara and her husband and rapist are all twisted and churned by the tidal wave of Russia's history....

First the world war and then the revolution and then civil war...

As they are all brought together and separated and then brought together again by the turns in the story , the main question is---can they survive it all....??

And is survival worth it ??

Has life any meaning at all in all the horror ??

Watch the movie for answers to all this....

I guarantee that your money wont be wasted....

Verdict---fabulous .