eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old October 30th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Something to be aware of before using British Airways

Folks,
A colleague here has had a very horrible experience with British Airways. Her mother was travelling from Chennai to SFO on BA and .. you read the rest. The point is that use a more friendly and responsible airline like Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines which are very good, especially when elders are concerned. They understand that most elders from India are not very proficient in English and do not know much about international air travel.

Sharing it here for you to read and draw your own conclusions. And I can easily imagine such callous attitude from those stiff upper lip English dicks!

Quote:

My mother Jaya Balaraman had the unfortunate experience of choosing British Airways as her carrier from Chennai, India to the San Francisco, USA. She was ill-treated and deceived on many instances causing unbearable stress and anguish to her mental and physical health. Her flight from Chennai to London (Heathrow Airport) was delayed, which resulted in her missing her connecting flight from London to San Francisco. Being 60 years of age and not proficient in English, she had chosen assisted travel from Chennai to San Francisco. Instead of being assisted, she was deceived by the British Airways personnel, who pretended to call her daughter in the USA to inform her about the delay, when infact we did not receive any call from British Airways.

She was then put on a flight from London to Phoenix. The flight from Phoenix was also delayed and she was abandoned by the British Airways staff in the Phoenix airport, who did not provide her any assistance in making the connecting flight from Phoenix to San Francisco. She had less than 1 hour to go through immigration and make it to the flight terminal, which is impossible even for a healthy young person.

When she requested assistance from the British Airways staff, she was very rudely told that her only choice was to run to the terminal to make the flight or miss it. Left with no choice my aged mother ran to the terminal after her immigration, shaking with anxiety only to find out that she could not board the flight as her baggage was still in London and she could not board the flight without her baggage. She was then sent to another part of the airport to explain her baggage situation and fill out a form to enable her to board the flight. After having been tossed inhumanly from one place to another, my mother managed to get the appropriate form, but was too late to board the flight from Phoenix to San Francisco. She was then told that the next flight to San Francisco was on the next day at 7.00 am. When she enquired if she could be put up in a hotel for the night, she was told that that was the responsibility of British Airways and since they had abandoned her in the airport there was nothing that the local carrier (United Airways) could do.

During all this, we (her daughters) were anxiously waiting for our mother at the San Francisco Airport not knowing what had happened to our mother as it had been 3 hours since her arrival time and she had not arrived at San Francisco. The British Airways staff at the San Francisco airport told us that they had no record of my mother ever boarding a British Airways flight from India.

My mother, who was in Phoenix, had no way of contacting us as she was not familiar with the English Language and did not have a cell phone on her. She was left with no choice but to spend the night in the Phoenix airport. She somehow managed to request an airport staff to lend her personal cell phone, so she could call us and let us know where she was. My aged mother spent a whole night, stressed and anxious in a new country with nobody to assist her and no way to contact her daughters who were in California.

The mental trauma and agony she went through can hardly be explained on paper. Not to mention she was discriminated by the stewardess on the flight who would not let her use the restroom, when other people were being allowed to use the restroom. I am shocked that British Airways can treat someone of her age and physical health with such cruelty and disrespect. I demand that some justice be brought. I can only thank God who gave her the strength to make it through this harrowing experience.
How can anybody be so unprofessional and inhuman towards another human being is beyond my comprehension, not to mention she was a customer of British Airways. I demand that I be given an explanation for such behavior at an earliest and hope that British Airways has some shred of professionalism and will address this ill-treatment.
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Something to be aware of before using British Airways

This is utterly inhumane. She should sue the airlines.

What I do not understand is why she did not approach some one at the airports, a fellow traveler or anybody... maybe another Indian (you see them at any airport nowadays). I am sure somebody would have helped her, at least supported her and guided her to the right authorities. If not in Britain, why not in Phoenix? Heck, who wouldn't want to help a mother

Edit: This is an advice to all echans who may have their parents visiting in the future... if confused about anything, talk to someone... look for anyone looking Indian and ask them to help out. Indians (some assholes excluded) normally would not go out of their way and ask whether someone needs help, but when asked for help they will go out of their way to help.

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless

Last edited by Sane Less; October 30th, 2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all

There are always 2 sides to every story. As for illtreatment I see no cause of that. Agreed that flight was delayed but that happens every day at every airport. If airlines start to give hotel accos to every leapfrog who missed his/her connector, the airline will be in dire straits in no time.

i think the biggest stupidity is with the daughter to allow the mother to travel alone knowing very well that she cant converse in a universal language. I dont think we can blame the airlines for that.
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by padhu
There are always 2 sides to every story. As for illtreatment I see no cause of that. Agreed that flight was delayed but that happens every day at every airport. If airlines start to give hotel accos to every leapfrog who missed his/her connector, the airline will be in dire straits in no time.
It is the responsibility of the airlines to provide accommodation if a flight has been missed 'cos of delays.

Quote:
i think the biggest stupidity is with the daughter to allow the mother to travel alone knowing very well that she cant converse in a universal language. I dont think we can blame the airlines for that.
In this universal age, I don't think language is a barrier. Even a dumb person can travel all around the world and not face any hardships. And Padahi pai, pray why should an elderly lady not travel around the world? Just 'cos she doesn't know one particular language?

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future

Quote:

I DONT LIKE BRITISH AIRWAYS...I flew BA the first time I left India to the US....there was this Gujju guy next to me.

He asked the air hostess for some drinks, after the first round of drinks were served! She gave him a nasty look, brought a couple of those miniature whiskey bottles and said 'THIS IS IT!! DONT ASK FOR MORE AGAIN!' while wagging her finger at him! It was the first time I was flying but I still found it pretty disgusting! I wouldnt have expected such attitude from a stupid white waitress!!

I think SINGAPORE AIRLINES IS DA BEST...I would pay a few $$ extra if I could fly SA!
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less
This is utterly inhumane. She should sue the airlines.

What I do not understand is why she did not approach some one at the airports, a fellow traveler or anybody... maybe another Indian (you see them at any airport nowadays). I am sure somebody would have helped her, at least supported her and guided her to the right authorities. If not in Britain, why not in Phoenix? Heck, who wouldn't want to help a mother

Edit: This is an advice to all echans who may have their parents visiting in the future... if confused about anything, talk to someone... look for anyone looking Indian and ask them to help out. Indians (some assholes excluded) normally would not go out of their way and ask whether someone needs help, but when asked for help they will go out of their way to help.
Agreed . If someone old (not asshole ) would approach me , I wpould time permited help her out or atleast let her call her daughter ......
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Folks,
It can be an overwhelming experience for many elders travelling for the first time without proficiency in English. Dont blame the elder as to why she did not ask someone. In the end she did figure it out and asked someone for help.

Many elders, who have never been on an airplane in India or have never been out of India, its quite tough. From experience of friends, I can say that SIngapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific and even Korean Airways gives very good assitance to elders from India, especially if they dont know English.

One idea which a friend used was to write out cards with a phrase in English and then the same phrase in Telugu on the other side. So when his mom came here, she would show those cards to the airline staff and airhostesses like ' I want water' or 'How do I get to the other flight' etc.
This helped her a lot and his mom came here without a hitch.
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Third Echelon

padhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to allpadhu is a name known to all

Quote:
It is the responsibility of the airlines to provide accommodation if a flight has been missed 'cos of delays.
No its not. Check the IATA rules. Its a diff story that some airlines do give it at times and people assume that its a rule. But its not. Its at the discretion of the airline becuase delays can be for reasons beyond that of the airlines. So unless one can prove that it was due to the crew not arriving on time or a technical snag, then you get nothing.

Quote:
In this universal age, I don't think language is a barrier. Even a dumb person can travel all around the world and not face any hardships. And Padahi pai, pray why should an elderly lady not travel around the world? Just 'cos she doesn't know one particular language?
Well if a dumb person who did not know english could travel we would not have this thread now right. And I did not say that an old lady should not travel but prudence calls that you provide the lady with some hand written instructions in the native language as to what to do in case of delays or such eventualities. Leaving her on fate and wishing that everything will be right does not work sane pai.

I know desi families who have given their parents notes written in english askign their parents to give it to any counter staff and they do help if they know what they are dealing with. Dont expect british airways or singapore airways to understand some desi language and then act courteous with you too. Asking for too much.
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Padhiya pai, I was trying to say the same thing but you are more eloquent. First time journey, yeah do give them as much help and directions (especially about how to get help). Traveling is a right, but Indian people travel with a fear... sort of a fear of the unknown.

As far as accommodation, delays are usually caused due to technical snags or missing crews. Rarely due to weather conditions. And in my experience I have normally been provided accommodation by the airlines. And the only time I was not was in India when my flight was canceled due to rains. But the excuse they gave me was that all hotel rooms were booked full. Not that it was not their responsibility. Btw, never read the IATA rules. Thanks for informing me. Next time I will be scared

Old October 30th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Senior eCharchan

BKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond reputeBKN has a reputation beyond repute

First Mistake,

Why on the earth the daughters sent their 60Yr Old alone on an International flight, and then Blame on any airline.

Even Air india doesn't take care for its passengers, what U expect from any other airline. Just to save few Bucks the daughters let suffer their MOM to fly in an unknown territory.

These daughters should blame themselves first
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Bandook Singh

deshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond repute

Others have said it before, I reiterate it... Singapore Airlines is da best.

My Mum has travelled all over the world on SIA and they are extremely helpful, in fact on one occasion a stewardess went to the extent of filling out the immigration form for mom as mom had left her galsses in the check in baggage, and couldnt read or write without them.

Now mom refuses to fly on any other airline, especially after she had a bad experience on KLM (rude cabin crew, crappy service).
Old October 30th, 2006, 06:12 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There are always 2 sides to every story.

Sir with all due respects ... there is no other side to this coin excepts and perhaps the daughter who was stupid enough to trust her precious mother in to the hands of employees of a western airline who give shit for brown skin.

Sir, I seldom if ever get a chance to fly cause of many hours of standing for visa queues here in Delhi but I have been told that all major airlines flying regular flights carry waitors/waitresses fluent in language of pick up point as well as the destination. Why just the flights ... even at the International airports announcments are repeated in several languages ... a freidn of mine told me.

Sirji ... you missed the "assisted" part of lady's ordeal.

There is a lesson here for all of us brown or what one arsole of a member prefers to refers to us as "brown nig gers". Forget your old worthless parents ... no decent asian with a shredd of pride ought to fly a western airline. If you cannot afford Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific ... no worries ... take Napali airlines or even Bangla Deshi airline if you appreciate sweet milk of human kindness. You dont need entire carton ... just few drops are enough to satisfy your craving and keep your lips wet.

Another thing I learnt (or is it learned) from a friend ... never ever believe airline or travel agent that an hour (or sometimes even two hours) are sufficient time to land in the US, clear immigration, collect luggage, go through customs and checkin for connecting flight. That just is not true and rather an unusual exception.

This happened to a frend aaf mine. His wife and children went to the US on vaccation. Airline said so and travel agent confirmed ... ded ghanta in LA is sufficient time to catch connecting flight. Bull shit. Even though they were first off the plane, first of plane load of passengers in immigration queue, phirst to collect luggage and clear loooooong line at the customs ... and still arrived too late to catch connecting flight which already left. Next flight ... after almost 12 hours unless ofcourse you insist and we will put you on a flight to Vancouver, from there is you take flight to Boston, from Boston there is a connecting flight Miami and if you are lucky 10 minutes after landing in Miami you finally catch your flight to NY. No thenks ... we rather prefer to wait 12 hours.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Senior eCharchan

pakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond repute

I feel extremy sorry for the old lady and her daughters for their plight.

But I strongly believe that elders travelling alone or mothers with babies should travel AirIndia. In case anything mishaps during the journy atleast their relatives can bara bajao of the airlines in India. And they are not that rude with elders.

And why these souhtie folks think whole world understands tamil or telugu or whatever southie language and leave their "ille indi ille inglis" folks at the mercy of airline staff? either they must assist them or make them travel by AirIndia only.

Everywhere in the world the airline staffers are always under extreme stress these days and expecting them to assist and go out ofn the way and help an old lady who does not understand what they are saying is plain stupid.

Loud and Proud LLKC member since infinity and beyond

Loud but not so Proud IDLE
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:20 AM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakkidost
And why these souhtie folks think whole world understands tamil or telugu or whatever southie language and leave their "ille indi ille inglis" folks at the mercy of airline staff? either they must assist them or make them travel by AirIndia only.
Language should not be imposed on anyone. Why should an old lady (without having any exp of travelling out of Tamil Nadu leave alone India) be deprived of travelling to the USA with only knowledge of Tamil.

Do these white guys learn Tamil? If not 'wai' should the Tamils learn Yingleesha?
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute

All Indians should boycot the BA but it won't happen because we are still the slave of "white skin." Why the in the world we want to travel in an airline that does not have the courtesy of taking care of its clients?

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon