eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old October 2nd, 2017, 05:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
I goofed up. What are my options now?

An year ago, I signed a contract at the gym. For 1 year term (it was in fine print and it was explained to me). 3 months later, i couldnt go there anymore and I called them to cancel. They said fine. That lady kept calling me on and off as to when i would return, i kept saying, "i asked you to cancel". When she said, "fine" it diodnt occur to me about the term. I thought "fine" means "fine".
They now are telling me I owe them $800.

I know...I know....I should have gone and given them in writing that I wont go. Now its too late.
They called at home and explained to my husband that I owe them money. And thats how the fight started which is currently besides the point.

Not even once she told me that I would still be liable to pay them (she said fine, when I said I want to cancel in my phone call). Not one mail (email or regular mail) has been sent to me.

I am upset with myself too but is there a way around it or I just pay them 800 and call it a day?
Old October 2nd, 2017, 05:58 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Approach an attorney. It might end up in an out of court settlement where you owe less. Contracts which are harsh cannot be enforced in court.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:00 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Approach an attorney. It might end up in an out of court settlement where you owe less. Contracts which are harsh cannot be enforced in court.
i considered it. But wont hiring an attorney will cost me more? Its $800.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:05 AM
Senior eCharchan

and does this reflect badly on my credit rating?
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:12 AM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

Did you not get monthly statements? Most gyms charge their fee on a monthly basis. If you ignored those statements, then you really goofed up. For $800, I would just pay up -- attorney will charge you 250-300 and the settlement wont be less than 50% of what you owe -- so after all the hassle you end up saving about 150.

Your credit rating gets affected if the account goes to a collection agency -- which I am surprised it has not already.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Did you not get monthly statements? Most gyms charge their fee on a monthly basis. If you ignored those statements, then you really goofed up. For $800, I would just pay up -- attorney will charge you 250-300 and the settlement wont be less than 50% of what you owe -- so after all the hassle you end up saving about 150.

Your credit rating gets affected if the account goes to a collection agency -- which I am surprised it has not already.
I did not get statements at all. Neither did she send me a written email asking for monthly payment. It came as a shock to me that she calls home informing about this. No written communication was received.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 07:26 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
An year ago, I signed a contract at the gym. For 1 year term (it was in fine print and it was explained to me). 3 months later, i couldnt go there anymore and I called them to cancel. They said fine. That lady kept calling me on and off as to when i would return, i kept saying, "i asked you to cancel". When she said, "fine" it diodnt occur to me about the term. I thought "fine" means "fine".
They now are telling me I owe them $800.

I know...I know....I should have gone and given them in writing that I wont go. Now its too late.
They called at home and explained to my husband that I owe them money. And thats how the fight started which is currently besides the point.

Not even once she told me that I would still be liable to pay them (she said fine, when I said I want to cancel in my phone call). Not one mail (email or regular mail) has been sent to me.

I am upset with myself too but is there a way around it or I just pay them 800 and call it a day?
I think you are stuck paying it.

Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:17 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I did not get statements at all. Neither did she send me a written email asking for monthly payment. It came as a shock to me that she calls home informing about this. No written communication was received.
If no statements then how exactly were you supposed to pay? If you skipped a payment then there would have been a warning reminder for the next month, paper or e-mail. Did you not get that? How exactly were you supposed to pay? I think you have a case... and you should get an attorney... and sure them for harassment.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:22 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i considered it. But wont hiring an attorney will cost me more? Its $800.
Th initial contact could be free. Also check your corporate benefits to see if you have legal aid insurance.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:17 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Gyms are the worst. I once threatened I would go out and tell every person I knew about this, and that it was the worst financial decision of my life.. only then mofos cancelled my contract.

Another gym gave me 3 months of free membership when they had a class action lawsuit for not canceling contracts when people asked them to.

Burnt child dreads fire.. I now ask a hundred questions before I sign up for gym membership. The one I have presently is the best I ever came across. $10 monthly and it's month to month, no contracts.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:29 PM

^^
I heard similar reviews about some fitness place in smelly pai's gaon where I once went for birthday party of a kid. I just stick to whatever apartment provides.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 05:37 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
If no statements then how exactly were you supposed to pay? If you skipped a payment then there would have been a warning reminder for the next month, paper or e-mail. Did you not get that? How exactly were you supposed to pay? I think you have a case... and you should get an attorney... and sure them for harassment.
I had given them my credit card information. Around the time I cancelled (or so i thought) the membership, my card expired and the bank issued a new one. I never bothered calling the gym back (i didnt think i needed to as i was under the impression that it was cancelled).

No email. No mail. A few phone calls asking me to come back with no mention of the fact that I am still liable to pay. I thought it was for advertisement.

I went in and asked for breakdown of the $800.

Out of that they asked me to pay $250 for bank charges as the credit card bounced. I asked them exactly what does that mean. Its not a check to bounce. Its a credit card. Then the lady said, oh ya, that's fine. You don't have to pay $250 for that.
Then they were charging me another $200 for the personal training lessons I hadnt taken. I asked them to remove that. she said ok with no fuss.

So, finally ended up paying $350 and called it a day. I wanted to pay that $350 as it was for the membership....i signed a contract, might as well honor it. I wouldnt have freaked out for 350 but 800?!

I told them they should do a better job of following up and they should send mail saying that the contract is still going on. Not wait for an year.

Lesson learned. No more gym contracts.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 06:28 AM

That seemed to be the idea. Scare you with 800, so that 350 looks small. Anyway, good that you cane out of it.

You could still do the following-
-ask them to market your home made soap.
- refer your boss and try getting some referral money.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 07:07 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Gyms are such mafia, is why they go out of business so soon.. Planet Fitness, the gym membership I currently have is the only great deal I found in over a decade of living in the US.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 09:45 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had given them my credit card information. Around the time I cancelled (or so i thought) the membership, my card expired and the bank issued a new one. I never bothered calling the gym back (i didnt think i needed to as i was under the impression that it was cancelled).

No email. No mail. A few phone calls asking me to come back with no mention of the fact that I am still liable to pay. I thought it was for advertisement.

I went in and asked for breakdown of the $800.

Out of that they asked me to pay $250 for bank charges as the credit card bounced. I asked them exactly what does that mean. Its not a check to bounce. Its a credit card. Then the lady said, oh ya, that's fine. You don't have to pay $250 for that.
Then they were charging me another $200 for the personal training lessons I hadnt taken. I asked them to remove that. she said ok with no fuss.

So, finally ended up paying $350 and called it a day. I wanted to pay that $350 as it was for the membership....i signed a contract, might as well honor it. I wouldnt have freaked out for 350 but 800?!

I told them they should do a better job of following up and they should send mail saying that the contract is still going on. Not wait for an year.

Lesson learned. No more gym contracts.
So many lessons learned!