eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 05:52 AM
Aashika Aashika is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,904
Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
I goofed up. What are my options now?

An year ago, I signed a contract at the gym. For 1 year term (it was in fine print and it was explained to me). 3 months later, i couldnt go there anymore and I called them to cancel. They said fine. That lady kept calling me on and off as to when i would return, i kept saying, "i asked you to cancel". When she said, "fine" it diodnt occur to me about the term. I thought "fine" means "fine".
They now are telling me I owe them $800.

I know...I know....I should have gone and given them in writing that I wont go. Now its too late.
They called at home and explained to my husband that I owe them money. And thats how the fight started which is currently besides the point.

Not even once she told me that I would still be liable to pay them (she said fine, when I said I want to cancel in my phone call). Not one mail (email or regular mail) has been sent to me.

I am upset with myself too but is there a way around it or I just pay them 800 and call it a day?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 05:58 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 7,561
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Approach an attorney. It might end up in an out of court settlement where you owe less. Contracts which are harsh cannot be enforced in court.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:00 AM
Aashika Aashika is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,904
Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Approach an attorney. It might end up in an out of court settlement where you owe less. Contracts which are harsh cannot be enforced in court.
i considered it. But wont hiring an attorney will cost me more? Its $800.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:05 AM
Aashika Aashika is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,904
Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

and does this reflect badly on my credit rating?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:12 AM
Zorro's Avatar
Zorro Zorro is offline
Hasa Diga Eebowai
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motor City
Posts: 1,638
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Did you not get monthly statements? Most gyms charge their fee on a monthly basis. If you ignored those statements, then you really goofed up. For $800, I would just pay up -- attorney will charge you 250-300 and the settlement wont be less than 50% of what you owe -- so after all the hassle you end up saving about 150.

Your credit rating gets affected if the account goes to a collection agency -- which I am surprised it has not already.
__________________
"Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad." - Eric Cartman.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:23 AM
Aashika Aashika is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,904
Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Did you not get monthly statements? Most gyms charge their fee on a monthly basis. If you ignored those statements, then you really goofed up. For $800, I would just pay up -- attorney will charge you 250-300 and the settlement wont be less than 50% of what you owe -- so after all the hassle you end up saving about 150.

Your credit rating gets affected if the account goes to a collection agency -- which I am surprised it has not already.
I did not get statements at all. Neither did she send me a written email asking for monthly payment. It came as a shock to me that she calls home informing about this. No written communication was received.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 07:26 AM
kalidas's Avatar
kalidas kalidas is offline
Super eCharchan
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Caves of Karakoram
Posts: 3,488
kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
An year ago, I signed a contract at the gym. For 1 year term (it was in fine print and it was explained to me). 3 months later, i couldnt go there anymore and I called them to cancel. They said fine. That lady kept calling me on and off as to when i would return, i kept saying, "i asked you to cancel". When she said, "fine" it diodnt occur to me about the term. I thought "fine" means "fine".
They now are telling me I owe them $800.

I know...I know....I should have gone and given them in writing that I wont go. Now its too late.
They called at home and explained to my husband that I owe them money. And thats how the fight started which is currently besides the point.

Not even once she told me that I would still be liable to pay them (she said fine, when I said I want to cancel in my phone call). Not one mail (email or regular mail) has been sent to me.

I am upset with myself too but is there a way around it or I just pay them 800 and call it a day?
I think you are stuck paying it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:17 AM
Sane Less's Avatar
Sane Less Sane Less is offline
Dead On Arrival is back
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,118
Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I did not get statements at all. Neither did she send me a written email asking for monthly payment. It came as a shock to me that she calls home informing about this. No written communication was received.
If no statements then how exactly were you supposed to pay? If you skipped a payment then there would have been a warning reminder for the next month, paper or e-mail. Did you not get that? How exactly were you supposed to pay? I think you have a case... and you should get an attorney... and sure them for harassment.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:22 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 7,561
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
i considered it. But wont hiring an attorney will cost me more? Its $800.
Th initial contact could be free. Also check your corporate benefits to see if you have legal aid insurance.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:17 PM
sarv_shaktimaan's Avatar
sarv_shaktimaan sarv_shaktimaan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: satva aasmaan
Posts: 14,910
sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Gyms are the worst. I once threatened I would go out and tell every person I knew about this, and that it was the worst financial decision of my life.. only then mofos cancelled my contract.

Another gym gave me 3 months of free membership when they had a class action lawsuit for not canceling contracts when people asked them to.

Burnt child dreads fire.. I now ask a hundred questions before I sign up for gym membership. The one I have presently is the best I ever came across. $10 monthly and it's month to month, no contracts.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:29 PM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 7,561
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

^^
I heard similar reviews about some fitness place in smelly pai's gaon where I once went for birthday party of a kid. I just stick to whatever apartment provides.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 3rd, 2017, 05:37 AM
Aashika Aashika is offline
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,904
Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
If no statements then how exactly were you supposed to pay? If you skipped a payment then there would have been a warning reminder for the next month, paper or e-mail. Did you not get that? How exactly were you supposed to pay? I think you have a case... and you should get an attorney... and sure them for harassment.
I had given them my credit card information. Around the time I cancelled (or so i thought) the membership, my card expired and the bank issued a new one. I never bothered calling the gym back (i didnt think i needed to as i was under the impression that it was cancelled).

No email. No mail. A few phone calls asking me to come back with no mention of the fact that I am still liable to pay. I thought it was for advertisement.

I went in and asked for breakdown of the $800.

Out of that they asked me to pay $250 for bank charges as the credit card bounced. I asked them exactly what does that mean. Its not a check to bounce. Its a credit card. Then the lady said, oh ya, that's fine. You don't have to pay $250 for that.
Then they were charging me another $200 for the personal training lessons I hadnt taken. I asked them to remove that. she said ok with no fuss.

So, finally ended up paying $350 and called it a day. I wanted to pay that $350 as it was for the membership....i signed a contract, might as well honor it. I wouldnt have freaked out for 350 but 800?!

I told them they should do a better job of following up and they should send mail saying that the contract is still going on. Not wait for an year.


Lesson learned. No more gym contracts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 3rd, 2017, 06:28 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is offline
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 7,561
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

That seemed to be the idea. Scare you with 800, so that 350 looks small. Anyway, good that you cane out of it.

You could still do the following-
-ask them to market your home made soap.
- refer your boss and try getting some referral money.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 3rd, 2017, 07:07 AM
sarv_shaktimaan's Avatar
sarv_shaktimaan sarv_shaktimaan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: satva aasmaan
Posts: 14,910
sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Gyms are such mafia, is why they go out of business so soon.. Planet Fitness, the gym membership I currently have is the only great deal I found in over a decade of living in the US.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 3rd, 2017, 09:45 AM
Napolean Napolean is online now
Senior eCharchan
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,675
Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I goofed up. What are my options now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I had given them my credit card information. Around the time I cancelled (or so i thought) the membership, my card expired and the bank issued a new one. I never bothered calling the gym back (i didnt think i needed to as i was under the impression that it was cancelled).

No email. No mail. A few phone calls asking me to come back with no mention of the fact that I am still liable to pay. I thought it was for advertisement.

I went in and asked for breakdown of the $800.

Out of that they asked me to pay $250 for bank charges as the credit card bounced. I asked them exactly what does that mean. Its not a check to bounce. Its a credit card. Then the lady said, oh ya, that's fine. You don't have to pay $250 for that.
Then they were charging me another $200 for the personal training lessons I hadnt taken. I asked them to remove that. she said ok with no fuss.

So, finally ended up paying $350 and called it a day. I wanted to pay that $350 as it was for the membership....i signed a contract, might as well honor it. I wouldnt have freaked out for 350 but 800?!

I told them they should do a better job of following up and they should send mail saying that the contract is still going on. Not wait for an year.


Lesson learned. No more gym contracts.
So many lessons learned!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Options Trading Shringarey Jobs 1 July 24th, 2016 06:34 AM
Breakfast Options chacha Health 64 October 28th, 2009 03:14 PM
You, and I, and everyone else have two options Jat Religion 4 May 7th, 2003 12:40 AM
HOw many voting options do we have SlyBoots SoapBox 3 June 5th, 2002 11:29 AM
what are the options??? supada SoapBox 9 June 8th, 2001 09:31 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Copyright © eCharcha.Com 2000-2012.