eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:19 PM
Senior eCharchan

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of
Here is, how I made Batata-Poha,.. the easiest way,...

While making gujarati batata poha we can keep a few tips in mind to make authentic poha every time.

Tips to make perfect Gujarati aloo poha

You can read more here : http://werecipes.com/gujarati-aloo-p...e-batata-poha/
  1. Use thick or medium thick variety of poha available in market. The thin version of poha is used in poha chiwda and does not cook well in aloo poha recipe.
  2. I have added turmeric powder into the soaked poha. That way we get it evenly mixed with poha. Also when you add turmeric powder in poha it might look pale. But don’t add too much of haldi. Poha will get its authentic yellow color once cooked.
  3. The amount of oil is absolutely necessary in poha. Do not reduce the oil in order to make it healthy. It won’t taste good. A little generous amount of oil is necessary for tasty poha recipe.
  4. While cooking the onions do not overcook them. Let them sweat a little and that’s it. The crunchy bite of onions taste great in poha.
  5. I have fried the peanuts in oil first and then used them later. If you want to use raw peanuts then you can directly add them after adding green chilies and saute them along with potato and onion. That way they will cook properly.
  6. The seasoning is important in poha. I have added salt along with poha first and then in onion and potato mix. This way salt is properly mixed with poha.
  7. Poha must be served immediately after cooking. If you keep it for longer time it might get dry. Just add a tablespoon of milk and mix it. That might give enough moisture to poha and make it better.

Last edited by log1iszero; October 4th, 2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old October 5th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of
Re: Here is, how I made Batata-Poha,.. the easiest way,...

[ Courtesy of Taylor - Re-copied back ]

Quote:
I guess, Post originally was here, seems it was stolen away, I found it back from Google.

Friends,.. I am living by myself,… so,.. made Batata-Poha, ( a quick, healthy lunch dish ) .. after watching 6-10 great vdos on YT - internet,.. and then,… combining all of their knowledge with a very safeway,.. and it turned out very tasty,…. ( using only the microwave, so nthg about any fire/flame or sticking,.. ) – Very quick, good and extremely healthy dinner,..

Here is, I would suggest,…..

• Take such nice big glass bowl, ( microwavable ) so nthg sticks nor you need to stir much,…
  • Take 3-4 nice small potatoes,…. Wash them,… remove all dead iiyal/bug/worms ( stuks arounds ) and chop in a small nice pieces like an onion ( they serve for chat, that sized ) on a cutting board,..
  • Sock,.. thick Poha about 2-3 cups ( chai ka ) wash them for worms ( look quickly if any dead worms in it ) and sock for only 5-10 minutes ( use thick poha, labeled on bag )
  • In that above bowl, put 2 table spoon of oil ( I use that tasty oil from pickel bottles ) , ( prepare for tadka ) – raayi, jeera, ajmaayein, cut red mirchi, tal, dhana, methi, curry-patta, lounge,.. .. make good tadka,….. …. And run MW for 2 minute for a good tadka,..
  • Now,.. put those cut potatoes in that hot tadka,.. steer/mix it ,… and let run only potatos to cook for 4-6 minutes in MW,…. ( steer/mix in between every 2-3 minutes,.. )
  • Now add those socked wet Poha ( no water) ,…. Do masaala with,….. namak, chini, haldi ( as per taste ) , steer/mix with a spoon little ( gently, so Poha does not break ) and let run for another 4-6 minutes in MW ( mix of potato and poha ) and steer and mix every 2-3 minutes,.. ( gently without breaking Poha )
  • Now add,….. garnishing like,….. cut pieces of cashew, walnut, raisins, Cut small pieces of tomato,. lemon juice,… mix a little,.. and heat another 1-2 minutes,…
  • Sprinkle dhaniya/kothmeer and serve a nice dish,…. You can eat hot or cold,…. It’s tasty and healthy,…

You can eat heated or cold,..... also with chai / coffee or juice,..... Refrigerate it and stays 1-2 days easily,....

Old October 8th, 2017, 04:37 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

No curry leaves? Now that's a cardinal error, I must say.

I cook almost the same recipe with lesser oil but with curry leaves and grated carrots, sometimes I add finely cut capsicum pieces as well .. there's hardly any nutrition in poha, so I add some veggies.

Another variation I have is to use a tablespoon of puliogare powder for seasoning..
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post

I cook almost the same recipe with lesser oil but with curry leaves and grated carrots, sometimes I add finely cut capsicum pieces as well .. there's hardly any nutrition in poha, so I add some veggies.

Another variation I have is to use a tablespoon of puliogare powder for seasoning..
You and puliogare What happened? You a bhaiya, liking madrasi spices

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old October 8th, 2017, 08:26 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
You and puliogare What happened? You a bhaiya, liking madrasi spices

When in Rome, do as the romans do.. aaal around are Ttamils, Mallus, Gults.. having yen yeffectt on mee
Old October 10th, 2017, 04:43 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
When in Rome, do as the romans do.. aaal around are Ttamils, Mallus, Gults.. having yen yeffectt on mee
are you making it from the scratch or buying MTR version?
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:22 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Shabana Azmi also made poha but posted the photo and instead called it upma !!

https://www.google.co.in/amp/indiane...-4882921/lite/

Last edited by ashdoc; October 10th, 2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
are you making it from the scratch or buying MTR version?
surely I can't make it from scratch, MTR it is.
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
yeah.. I think she did it intentionally .. if she called it poha we wouldn't be talking about it.
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post

https://www.google.co.in/amp/indiane...-4882921/lite/
Like the time Swami made oatmeal and called it pancakes!
Old October 10th, 2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashika View Post
like the time swami made oatmeal and called it pancakes!
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:21 PM

Old October 11th, 2017, 06:04 AM
Senior eCharchan

LOL Sarvi...they are hilarious! where do you find them?!
Old October 11th, 2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
LOL Sarvi...they are hilarious! where do you find them?!
I waste too much time on twitter.. my wife complains all the time.
Old October 13th, 2017, 11:02 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:

Yup, curry leaves, daal-chini , Taj ( cinnamon ) you can sure use for “tadka” dunno how I forgot.

Oil will be needed , since you are not steam frying nor adding water at all,… or it will start burning.

No,.. caroot will be a totally miss-fit, never be added.

( Or ,…you are making Bhel-poori,…. Add green-chutny and crust pieces of hard poories,.. also add shreaded Beat,... and it will become bhel-poori. )

You can add small cut pieces of either green mirchi or dry red mirchi in “Tadka” and do not need Capsicum.

You may also add little “ coconut shredaded crust “ and kismis ( Indian styled yellow dried raisins) at the end too, for garnishing,…

Quote:
Fresh puliyogare powder is necessary to make tastier puliyogare. ... Some of the main items of the puliyogare powder recipe that takes the taste of the puliyogare to higher levels are the red chili, sesame seeds, toor dal, chana dal, urad dal, coriander seeds and hing.
Hmmm. Never heard of this powder before,…. Will try,….

https://www.veenas.com/media/catalog...m/t/mtrpul.jpg