eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old October 24th, 2017, 07:37 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread for movies depicting Christian characters in Indian movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
a handful of drunkards pelt stones on a church in New Delhi .. and Right Wing Hindutva forces are against Christians .. one reckless immature senile christian who was ex-chief of Mumbai Police started crying on national TV .. their ass burnt so bad when BJP won in 2014. Intolerance level jumped exponentially by 2-3 stray "non-communal" incidents.

it's like .. a mallu christian named Jose Jacob (darker than P.T. Usha) visiting Hariwdwar was knifed by pickpockets when he tried to resist being mugged.. Delhi's English media wrote national headlines.. "Christian man attacked in Hindu Holy city"

Their Convent school syndicate won't even allow a couple days off on Hindu festival of Diwali.. no holiday on rakhi either. But what to say Hindus are the biggest hypocrites.. we still long for convent education.
I typed a longish answer but it all got wiped. It is a pain replying on mobile. That pertained to ither possibilities in 90s. Will revisit that later.

The senile guy was once the boss of KPS Gill. He seems to have list it after 2014. Other intolerance brigade guys* are good for nothing jholawalas. This guy had actually done done action, but sadly has gone that way, probably influenced by others in his church.

* there are females too, but Girl or lady sound too respectful for Barkha Dutt, etc.

Last edited by sgars; October 25th, 2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:40 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You know how this sounds right ..

If indeed you meant they were having sex in your clinic and you were fine with that.. i donno what to say to you.
No not sex . That would have been too much. Only smooching.
Old October 25th, 2017, 10:05 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

^^
This actually reminds me of ‘everybody says I’m fine’
Old October 25th, 2017, 08:54 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it's like .. a mallu christian named Jose Jacob (darker than P.T. Usha) visiting Hariwdwar was knifed by pickpockets when he tried to resist being mugged.. Delhi's English media wrote national headlines.. "Christian man attacked in Hindu Holy city"
certification of my hypothesis..

Old January 28th, 2018, 12:03 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

trikaal

finding fanny
Old February 1st, 2018, 06:41 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
i once had a christian compounder , seventeen years of age . used to wear sexy clothes by indian standards at least . miniskirts shorts etc . she had a boyfriend ( a UPiite hindu ) and they used to smooch in my clinic before i came . many times i used to enter my clinic to the sight of them smooching , and then they would hastily separate with the boy making a quick exit .

i never opposed this because i have the heart of a liberal . in fact i was quite happy at the sight of young couple making out together . but alas...the world around was not so liberal---this is india i am talking about , mired in backwardness . the people from neighbouring shops began to complain to me that she was bringing my clinic in disrepute by her acts and she must be kicked out from her job . threatened to bring up the matter to the secretary of the building that my clinic is situated in ; secretary is the guy who collects the maintainance charge of the properties in the building .

with a heavy heart i had to say goodbye to my christian compounder . like john lennon i wonder why people oppose when couples make love but do nothing when violence occurs ; for example , a man beating his wife . why ? why ?
This is surely a figment of your imagination. There is no evidence of this in the Laal Mirchi section
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old March 9th, 2018, 10:30 AM
senior echarchan

Prateeksha ( 2006 )

This was my second attempt to review a Dia Mirza movie , and any review by me of a Dia Mirza movie is a labour of love....The movie starts awkwardly , but soon gets a grip as it progresses .

Kishen ( Jimmy Shergill ) comes from rural state of Bihar to the big city to study medicine . In the medical college he runs into Reena Brown ( Diya Mirza ) , who is a Christian and is beautiful and sophisticated and speaks english very well . She looks down upon Kishen as a rural bumpkin and the two are at loggerheads on several occasions . Reason is that Kishen speaks the hindi language in a rural style , and Reena feels that his English must be even worse . Reena has a boyfriend named John Clayton , and he is more understanding towards Kishen . But Reena tries to make her boyfriend play the game of one-upmanship with Kishen , but totally fails . In the college football game she tries to encourage John to score a goal in opposition to Kishen , but John gets injured instead letting Kishen the chance to score the goal . Reena organises a party where Kishen is not invited , but Kishen disturbs it by singing loudly outside it .

One thing that all this proves is that Kishen is talented in both sports and singing and his popularity rises in the college . Kishen pokes Reena by calling her 'memsaab' ( madam ) , thus making fun of the perceived difference between their status . When John opts out of playing Othello in a college play , it is to Kishen that everyone turns to play that role . Reena is to play Desdemona opposite Othello and detests the idea of Kishen touching her during the play . But Kishen surprises her by playing the role of Othello with aplomb and speaking perfect English while playing it . She is so impressed by his acting and his command over English that she herself touches him during the play and holds his hand in the climax .

Soon Reena and Kishen begin to hang out together and become friends . But Reena's personal life suddenly goes topsy turvy with her boyfriend John ( whom she is hoping to marry ) coming under the pressure of his father to marry Emily who has come from England . John does deeply regret not being able to marry Reena , and is hardly able to blurt out his refusal to her .

Kishen who is attracted to Reena from the start however takes to opportunity to woo her by being the person who comforts her in the midst of her heartbreak . And Reena soon turns to him to soothe her aching heart . She finds Kishen to be jovial and boisterous in nature , with passionate views on some subjects . Reena starts missing him if he does not come to the college on a day and goes searching for him to his hostel . And she takes the lead in proposing marriage to him....love is in the air again for her . The two go on dates together and dream of life in each other's arms .

The issue of their different religions does come up , but Kishen allays Reena's fears by saying that he is an atheist who does not believe in God and will not try to change her religion . They meet her father James ( Anupam Kher ) , who gives his blessings to the marriage . The couple decide to wear each other's religion's clothes for the impending court marriage . And I must say that Jimmy Shergill looks good in dark tie and suit , a far cry from the country bumpkin he started as in the movie . And Dia Mirza in saree looks simply divine....why is it that I was not in that dark tie and suit in Jimmy Shergill's shoes to serenade my darling Dia....?? why ??

But what is a movie without a twist , and the twist comes in due form with Kishen's father Pandit ( Govind Namdeo ) coming from his village to oppose the marriage . He is too conservative to accept a Christian daughter in law , and plainly tells Reena that he will cut off all relations with his son if he marries her . He says that she will be responsible for the breaking of relations between parents and son , and that no hindu will marry Kishen's sister if he marries a Christian girl . He berates Reena's father James for accepting the marriage and James decides to cut off the marriage plans . Reena comes under pressure to cut off the marriage and she has to tell Kishen that he cannot be her husband . Kishen tries to reason with her but in vain .

Devastated by all this , Kishen forsakes his family and goes away to find peace in a small town where both communities live in harmony ; Christians worship hindu saints and hindus go to Christian priests when someone is not well . He starts a clinic there and practices as a doctor . But on his table is a still a photo of Dia Mirza....uh , I mean Reena . Many years pass and one day Reena comes searching for him in a completely drunken state .

She tells him her story . After she tried to reason with her father James to agree to the marriage inspite of Kishen's father's opposition , James told her in a fit of anger that he did not want her anymore because she was brining too much trouble in his life . That she was actually not his legitimate daughter but rather his illegitimate child born of his affair with his maid , the same maid played by Zarina Wahab who had been taking care of the house all these years . The maid is hindu and he has not married her , nor has Reena been baptized . So Reena is neither hindu nor Christian . He then told the mother and daughter to get out of his life . Reena was forced to leave his house and sing in bars and nightclubs wearing exposing clothes and with patrons making advances towards her . She who was once totally against smoking and drinking had now developed habits of heavy drinking and incessant smoking to ward off depression .

But the real depression she had was of having ruined a good man's life....Kishen's who else....for she wanted to see him practice as a doctor in some big city and earn real money rather than waste his life in some small clinic in some small town . And here she is....standing in front of Kishen asking his forgiveness for ruining his life and his career and offering financial help to help him shift back to the big city , for her father James deeply regretted his treatment of his daughter at the end of his life and willed her all his estate and money .

But lo !! Reena is the one who gets helped instead . For Kishen has his own story to tell , of his sister marrying outside their caste and finally bringing his father Pandit out of his religious stupor . And the father contacting him asking to bring Reena as his daughter in law because he can't bear to not be with his son , and can't bear to see his son permanently unhappy and unmarried without Reena . And Kishen is willing to accept Reena even though she has had an unsavoury past and he is willing to be patient till she weans herself off her heavy smoking and drinking habits and does not care if she is an illegitimate child of a servant woman who does know if she is hindu or Christian....for he who was once an atheist has begun to believe in the kind of God that does not reside in temples or churches but instead resides in the hearts of true believers....and believers are those who forgive sins and serve others without caring for their faith .

True love never dies....and for Reena and Kishen , the long wait called prateeksha is truly over . And the long wait called prateeksha was over for me too , of seeing and reviewing a good film of Dia Mirza . For the climax of the movie filled me with emotion . Acting in the film was decent , and colours and photography was not bad too . Background music and songs were okay .

It was nice to see an interreligious love story come to a happy ending . Seen too many such love stories end up not so happy in real life , crushed as they were by the burden of tradition and the ancient religious codes of the land .

Verdict---Very decent .

Three stars out of five .

Last edited by ashdoc; March 9th, 2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 11:19 AM
senior echarchan

Raat aur din ( 1967 )

Nargis plays a hindu housewife named Varuna who turns into a free spirited Christian woman who smokes and drinks at night . In her nightly Christian avtar she is called Peggy and has a suitor played by Feroze Khan . Her hindu avtar Varuna's husband is played by Pradeep Kumar . Actually she has multiple personality disorder due to an accident which killed her mother in childhood and was blamed on her . She had admired a Christian friend named Peggy as a child and had secret attraction for Peggy's westernised glamorous lifestyle . That attraction manifests itself at night when the multiple personality disorder temporarily changes her personality . In the end it is proved that the accident that killed her mother was not Varuna's fault . She is cured of her MPD and regains her confidence . Good songs enhance the movie watching experience .

Good movie .

Last edited by ashdoc; April 3rd, 2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old April 26th, 2018, 11:09 AM
senior echarchan

I suddenly realised that the heroine of 'aashiqui' is a christian character named anu varghese played by actress anu agarwal .

one day i may review the film . makes me nostalgic . when the film was released i was only sixteen and in standard twelve , due to appear for my HSC exams . my parents were opposed to me seeing the film as they wanted me to get good marks and get admission to medical college . but i fought with them to see the movie on video recorder .

Last edited by ashdoc; May 17th, 2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old May 11th, 2018, 02:07 PM
senior echarchan

Ek paheli ( 1971 )

Dr Sudhir ( Feroz Khan ) arrives in Goa after completing his education in a foreign country to take over his dead father's business . He goes to buy a piano for his house . Here he meets a beautiful girl named Maria ( Tanuja ) , who says she would not permit anyone but him to play the piano . When he has paid the money and he goes back to the place where Maria was standing , but she has disappeared . When Sudhir keeps a house warming party , he asks a lady to play the piano but she suddenly collapses and dies while playing it .

One night Sudhir wakes up to see Maria play the piano , but his servant comes with choice words for the noise waking him in the night . By the time Sudhir has quietened the servant , Maria has disappeared . Next day while riding a boat Sudhir sees Maria on a graveyard on a hill . Sudhir rushes to meet her and she is looking so stunning in attractive skirt that he confesses that he loves her . But Maria says that even though she has the same feelings for him she is in a situation from where she cannot unite with him . She also complains about his servant using choice words because he was woken and says that she will not forgive him . When Sudhir goes back home the servant is dead .

The situation is now complicated by Sudhir's father's friend Shankarlal ( Madan Puri ) trying to pin the blame of the two deaths in the house on Sudhir , so that he can take over the father's business after Sudhir is in police custody . But Sudhir's loyal assistants foil the plan . So Shankarlal hatches another plan to kill Sudhir .

Meanwhile Sudhir meets Maria again and she shows him her house in which no one is there . Her hands are so cold . While coming back he is stabbed in the back and awakes in hospital . But is told that there was no stabbing and his car had an accident . He tells Shankarlal of his meetings with Maria in the graveyard .

Shankarlal decides to murder Sudhir when he goes to meet Maria because the graveyard is a lonely place where no one else is there . But Shankarlal is shocked to see a third person there---who else but Maria , and has to change his plans . He hatches another plan to murder Sudhir with the help on another woman who has a resemblance to Maria . The plan is to make her look like Maria and entice Sudhir , and kill him on a lonely railway track by making hi follow her there . But Sudhir's assistants ( played by Rajendranath and Tun Tun ) are too loyal and they foil the plan again and get Shankerlal arrested by the police officer ( played by Sanjeev Kumar ) .

Sudhir goes to meet Maria in the girls college run by a convent , where she has told him she studies . But learns there that Maria was a student who had committed suicide decades ago because her father had sold her only solace---the piano , which he needed to sell to finance his drinking . The same piano that stands in Sudhir's house .

Now the truth dawns on Sudhir , as why Maria meets him only in a graveyard and why her hands are so cold . Why she kills anyone who plays her piano ( like the woman who dies playing it in the house warming party ) or kills the person who gets angry that she disturbed him by playing the piano---like the servant who complained about being woken in the night . She is the ghost of the young woman who died decades ago . A beautiful spirit that has been so hurt in the past that it is capable of murdering people .

But then why does the spirit of the beautiful Maria favour him with her loving companionship and allow only him to play her piano ? Sudhir goes to the graveyard to find out . However he does not see Maria at her usual place , but at some distance calling him to join her . Sudhir rushes to join only to realise too late that he has been enticed to the edge of a cliff . And before he can recover he has been pushed over....he dies after falling off the cliff and getting his head smashed as he falls hundreds of feet below ; the spirit of Maria has killed another victim .

But the story does not end there....Sudhir gets the answers to his questions only after he dies . The reason why Maria favoured him was love . Yes , it was a spirit in need of love and companionship and had selected Sudhir to fall in love . And Maria killed Sudhir because she wanted him to become a spirit like herself and love her and be with her always and forever....in the end she wakes him up from his death slumber and embraces him and holds him in her arms . The two are finally united for all times to come....

Epilogue---I am too willing to be pushed off a cliff if the spirit which pushes me is of a beautiful young woman in love with me and wants my permanent companionship . But , only goodlooking female spirits should apply for this august task

Acting by everyone is okay and so is photography . Both hero and heroine look good and so young . Songs are decent and background music is appropriately mysterious .

Verdict---decent .

Three out of five stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; May 11th, 2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:50 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Usha Khanna has been the only prominent female music director in Bollywood.. wonder why women have not taken to music direction, movies direction, even playing instruments.. so many fields women have to get into.
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:11 AM

^^
Applies to Hollywood too. In all the years, hurt locker director (forgot her name), was the first woman director to win an oscar, beating her ex James Cameron’s ‘avatar’
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:16 PM

2 different Christian singers.
1. Yesudas- his Song of devotion to Ganesh is still used for VinayaKa chaturthi.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

2. Vijay Benedict- For Bappida’s songs in ‘Disco Dancer’, Kishore da was the ideal singers. But then Mithun da had married Kishore da’s ex wife. So all his disco songs were sung by Vijay Benedict. Well, all but one on Krishna- the s was sung by Nandu Bhende. My guess is Vijay Benedict did not want to praise Krishna.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Old May 17th, 2018, 10:55 PM
senior echarchan

Sins ( 2005 )

'Sins' movie is based on a real life story of a catholic priest involved in a sexual relationship with a girl . The movie was opposed by the christian community of India as they thought that the portrayal would give a bad name to catholic priests in particular and christians in general . The movie as well as the real life story happened in the southern state of Kerala , which had a large number of christians in the 80s when the story happened . Today the christians in Kerala are dwindling somewhat in numbers .

Father William ( Shiney Ahuja ) begins as a kind priest who helps a girl named Rosemary ( Seema Rahmani ) whose bicycle has broken down to reach her exam centre . She is studying to be a nurse . The girl develops a friendship with him and asks him to help her learn driving a car . Once when she has to push the car stuck in a ditch , she gets dirt on her clothes . She has to remove the clothes in the priest's house and he gets to see her lovely back and body half naked . Urged by uncontrollable lust , William embraces her and takes her to his bed for making love and she responds to his overtures . What we get to see is a love making scene with topless half nudity of Seema Rahmani---the actress playing Rosemary , that gives you the hots . There are other such scenes of love making in half naked form in the film and boy , they do give you the hots .

Soon a sexual relationship develops between William and Rosemary , and her brother and her mother do not object . In fact they want financial favours in lieu of Rosemary's sexual favours for the father . Years pass . But the whole thing becomes well known and Rosemary's reputation is tarred . India is a conservative society and a girl in an unholy relationship with a catholic priest is shunned . People throw her out of gatherings of respectable people and she is greatly disturbed by this .

At first William is disturbed by his own sinful behaviour and repeatedly goes to confess his sins to another priest in disguise . He also does repentance for his sins as prescribed by the priest . But soon lust overtakes him and he becomes unrepentant . Rosemary wants him to marry her by leaving the catholic order so that she gains respectability and is not shunned by society any more . He starts dilly dallying on this point of marriage .

The matter soon escalates when William is about to be promoted to Vicar , which will make him a powerful person . He refuses Rosemary's entreaties to marry her as it will ruin his career . She realises that he has become a selfish person and is disgusted . To mollify her William marries her off to Graham ( Nitesh Pande ) , who is a person indebted to him by some past favour . But Graham and Rosemary are forbidden by William to come close . Rosemary has to remain William's woman and his only according to him .

But Graham and Rosemary soon develop an emotional connection , and they would like to be together as a real man and wife . But Father William employs goons to keep a watch on them and intimidate Rosemary into remaining loyal to him . He becomes increasingly violent and beats and kicks her into submission . Amazingly , the entire local catholic establishment does not censure him for his unethical behaviour . Speaks volumes about the rot in the establishment .

Graham however meets Rosemary in the dead of the night and they make passionate love . The scene is beautifully pictured with emotional music and remains a romantic memory of love making from the movie . I liked the movie best at the point of the scene .

Soon Graham hatches a plan to help Rosemary escape to Bombay---as the city of Mumbai was known at that time . And they escape out of William's clutches seemingly . But her mother naively tells William about the spot where Rosemary used to go alone to reflect on herself . That spot is on a lonely stretch near the sea and has a cross . Rosemary also spent some romantic moments with Graham there . Rosemary used to pray to the cross , which shows that even an alleged heretic like her who was in an unholy sexual relationship with a priest needs God to form a spiritual connection . Even sinners need the almighty....

One day when Rosemary's mother ( played by Uttara Baokar ) is alone at the spot , William surprises her there and brutally kills her by strangling her with his bare hands . His transformation as villain is complete . Meanwhile Rosemary is pregnant with Graham's child and is on top of her happiness in Bombay . The news of her mother's death brings her happiness crashing down and she and Graham have to come back to Kerala . She meets William , who repeatedly kicks her in the abdomen and punches her till she begs for mercy on her unborn child and William then allows her to go .

Rosemary contacts the police because she is suspicious that William killed her mother and the police begin to gather evidence about the murder . The church authorities in Quilon are informed and the noose is being tightened around William's neck . Police guards are posed to protect Rosemary as William is hell bent on revenge for this . But one day tragedy strikes ; William's goons get past the police guards and murder Rosemary by knives .

William is doomed by his acts ; doomed by his uncontrollable lust for Rosemary and his open venture into a life of sin . His sins have caught up with him . He is captured by police and condemned to death by the court , and he unrepentantly tells Graham before his hanging that he killed Rosemary because he loved her and wanted to punish her for her disloyalty . But her forgets that Rosemary wanted to marry him and his own desire to stick to his position in the church was what turned her to the arms of another man .

The light eyed and able bodied Shiney Ahuja doesn't look like a priest , to be honest . He looks like a hero of a film rather than a villain . He later was accused of rape in real life by his maid . Wonder if his role in this film had some mental effect on him....??

Acting and photography is good , and the film is in english language throughout . Seema Rahmani is not goodlooking but her sensuous lovemaking scenes do give you the hots .

Verdict---decent .

Three stars out of five .

Last edited by ashdoc; May 18th, 2018 at 01:12 AM.