eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old October 10th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
BPO industry faces backlash of Mira road call centre scam

BPO industry faces backlash of Mira road call centre scam

Call centre scam’s kingpin is a 23-yr-old called Shaggy
THANE: The mastermind of the Mira Road call centre scam+ is a 23-year-old youth, the police have said. Shahgar Thakkar, alias Shaggy, is on the run since the scam was busted last Tuesday. He has an aide, Tapash, who too is yet to be traced.

"Despite his youth, Thakkar has made a fortune, that too in a short span of time. At a very young age he has mastered the art of cheating foreigners by sitting in India," a police officer said. A source said Thakkar may have fled the country.

Witnesses and accused have told the police that Thakkar owns several high-end cars and is a multimillionaire. "Some of our seniors used to motivate us to get more business by holding Thakkar as an example for his lavish lifestyle and flamboyance. He would often visit our call centre," said an accused.

"We have found a couple of WhatsApp groups on which the call centre employees were present and would get data on gullible US citizens," said a police officer.

The typical setting of the busted Mira Road call centres+ was that the top floor was for those making as low as $1.5 lakh per month for their firm. On the lowest floors would be those making $5-7 lakh per month.

Multiple US agencies are in touch with the Thane police, exchanging details on the investigation. Sources say the call centre bust is the tip of the iceberg and the racket is spread across the country and is perhaps even operated out of homes and not just commercial centres.

Call centre staff would make their calls by posing as officials of the US Internal Revenue Service or the immigration department. "Their counterparts in some other centres were trained as computer repairing, servicing or credit cards agents," a police officer told TOI.

As many as 70 staffers have been arrested and 630 have been given notice. The police are noting down the statements of the 630, based on which they will determine their course of action.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/54769716.cms
Old October 10th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BPO industry faces backlash of Mira road call centre scam

Maharashtra call centre scam: All you need to know

The Mira Road call centre scam+ is believed to have robbed US citizens of Rs 500 crore in the last one year. The three call centres were collectively pocketing around Rs 1 to 1.5 crore daily.

70 people have been arrested so far and showcause notices have been slapped on 630 other employees.

The trick:

*Trained employees at illegal Mira Road call centre use VoIP to place calls to US citizens; handsets in the US show call coming from number starting +911

*Caller identifies as employee of the dreaded Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the US equivalent of Indian income-tax officers

*Using an impeccable US accent, caller tells victim he has defaulted on taxes and must pay up immediately or else IRS would turn up with cops and arrest him

*Caller first demands $10,000-20,000, later settles for $5,000-3,000. Asks payment to be made through pre-loaded cards

*Sometimes the callers sent voice mails declaring the person had defaulted and trapped him with threats

How the money was grabbed:

*Victims told to share 16-digit code of preloaded cash card with the call centre employee, who helps debit the decided amount that could be from $500 to 10,000

*Through the online payment mode, the amount debited by the victim in the cash card would be redeemed by the fraudsters

How the US citizens were targeted:

*Some of the accused are based in the US; they acquired the contact numbers in the black market and forwarded them to the Mira Road call centre

*In the Dark Web, the netherworld of the internet, hackers offer details of US citizens in bulk. Sources said the data could have cost about `1 lakh for 10,000 contacts

Who were the callers

*Advertisements on social media and flyers invite candidates without any qualification for call centre work

*If a candidate shows potential, he is told to undergo rigorous training for US accent

*A six-page script is handed to them for mock calls. After perfecting the script, the candidate inducted as employee

*A small group of employees selected for closing the calls; they are trained to issue threats and extort money from the US citizens

How the callers were paid

*The US gang members transfer 70% of the money grabbed to the call centre management through suspected hawala channels. The employees paid in cash

How the scam was exposed

*Thane cops receive information that the scam has been on for more than a year. Sources claim the tip off came from disgruntled call centre employee

*Sleuths keep vigil at the Mira Road call centre for the past couple of weeks; get acquainted with the working

*Team of over 200 police personnel from Thane swoop down on it late on Tuesday
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/54713022.cms
Old October 10th, 2016, 12:55 PM
be badass

MsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant future

yep, i read about this. it was all over the news but i doubt there is any severe action/punishment for money laundering. these buggers are gonna get away with this. anyway, would you believe if i tell you i got a call too like exactly what you've mentioned .. using an impeccable US accent, the caller called saying that i had defaulted on taxes and must pay up immediately or else IRS would turn up with cops and arrest me. i might have the number as well. lemme look it up. brb
Old October 10th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

I keep getting these calls.When they threaten to get me arrested, I tell them to go ahead and hang up.

Sometimes they call again and tell me I do not deserve any mercy. Lol.
Old October 10th, 2016, 02:11 PM
be badass

MsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
I keep getting these calls.When they threaten to get me arrested, I tell them to go ahead and hang up.

Sometimes they call again and tell me I do not deserve any mercy. Lol.
ha ha i don't usually entertain unknown calls, not sure why i answered this one. but that guy did sound scary. that booming voice & the mention of IRS .. i was like what the hell is this but now I'm gonna take 'em for a ride :P I'm gonna play the super victim

p.s. i hope they call

Last edited by MsShaanze; October 10th, 2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old October 10th, 2016, 06:52 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

So, Non Gults can do such locha too
Old October 10th, 2016, 07:28 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I got few calls like this. Anybody who didn't do anything wrong need not be scared of IRS or USCIS. Chhati chaudi kar ke chalte hum.

A couple months back i got a call showing number as 911 .. guy with fake accent said he was police officer and was coming to arrest me.. i said come fast. He kept saying don't joke with me give me your address. Told him he was fake and I didn't care.. he hung up.

Another time IRS guy said he found huge trouble in my taxes. I told him send me a letter and we'll see, i will talk to my CPA. He said he can resolve issues if I paid the penalty right now. I kept saying send a letter with details.. like a broken record. Threatened me but hung up finally.
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

This is why we save all our tax filings in an external drive. I think as long as you dont default on taxes, ever, there is nothing to worry about. Its just so sad to see these young people get into these scams. If the guy is this smart, he could have figured out a way (easily) to make money legally.
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
This is why we save all our tax filings in an external drive. I think as long as you dont default on taxes, ever, there is nothing to worry about. Its just so sad to see these young people get into these scams. If the guy is this smart, he could have figured out a way (easily) to make money legally.
I hear there is a lot to worry about from US IRS. Case in point I heard about this elderly couple in India whose son was in the US for a very long time, became a citizen. He applied for GC for parents (now I am not sure if this can be done) with the plan to get them to US for some time.
before he booked the tickets though, the couple got letters for IRS asking for filing tax returns...

Its scary dealing with any government body for people who don't do anything wrong deliberately.
Old October 11th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

I received a call from these assholes.. The dude said that there is an issue with my taxes and if not handled right away, the police would come and arrest me.. I gave him the choicest of my Hindi ones and told him to get a real job.. I told him if this is how he wishes to feed his family, he should be spit upon.

By the end of the call, he was asking me for career advise
Old October 11th, 2016, 10:11 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
If the guy is this smart, he could have figured out a way (easily) to make money legally.
Big money and in a fast manner.. is super tough to make money legally. You either get elected and scam the public sitting in the government/public office (Kejriwal). Or you do illegal stuff like this.
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

I know at least two elderly people who were almost scammed by the IRS calls.

One of them already went to western union to transfer some $5k or something, he already started the transaction. The scammer had called home number, but after it got disconnected, they called his cell phone and insisted that he'd call back every few minutes to make sure that the transaction is successful. Fortunately, his daughter called her mom, who said the Dad got such a call and now he's worried and scared and huffing and puffing and he's running to the grocery store to transfer money right away. Daughter called Dad, he wouldn't listen that it's scam because the scammers knew a lot of personal information so he believed him to be genuine. Told the daughter which store he's at (with a western union booth). She went straight to the store, talked to the WU manager, explained the situation and asked him to cancel the transaction right away. Luckily he was able to. Dad was still a bit freaked out but finally understood that it was a scam.

Second victim (almost) was another elderly uncle, who got a call that FBI/police are on the way. He should immediately get some iTunes gift cards from a very specific neighborhood store located at an intersection of two very specific streets. He was freaked out, went outside and moved his car from the driveway to a distant location, to hide from FBI/cops, locked the doors and almost had a high blood pressure situation. I happened to call him at that time, and I explained that it is a scam that's been going around. It took him a while to calm down and get back to normal.

It's pathetic that the scammers target old people for easy money, and sadly many victims get conned int he process to these bastards.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:50 PM

At this point I would want to know how are they getting whatever information about us? I think .. my hunch.. is that these buggers get info from call center employees, must have paid a decent amount and leaked data via USBs or something.
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
I know at least two elderly people who were almost scammed by the IRS calls.
What lowlife Mofos
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
At this point I would want to know how are they getting whatever information about us? I think .. my hunch.. is that these buggers get info from call center employees, must have paid a decent amount and leaked data via USBs or something.
From Swami's post:

How the US citizens were targeted:

*Some of the accused are based in the US; they acquired the contact numbers in the black market and forwarded them to the Mira Road call centre

*In the Dark Web, the netherworld of the internet, hackers offer details of US citizens in bulk. Sources said the data could have cost about `1 lakh for 10,000 contacts