eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Indian Politics

Notices

Indian Politics Our national time-pass!

Old May 4th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Senior eCharchan

Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modi's vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayt View Post
Congress will pay for its mistakes. They will lose this election. Modi will be the next PM.

Does this mean I should always sing his praises?

He's like any other politician. He has his plus points and his minus points. On the plus side, I think he will reduce corruption, and he will bring added focus to infrastructure. On the minus side, I don't like his authoritarian tendencies. In Gujarat, he exercises complete control over both the state BJP apparatus and the govt machinery, to a level that is rare among CMs in India. You might say that this kind of control leads to faster decision-making. That is true. But it is also far more likely to lead to abuse of power. I do not like politicians with authoritarian tendencies, regardless of their party affiliation. In any system, checks and balances are essential.

You say nice things about him. You support him. But you don't get all worked up when someone criticizes Modi. But not everyone is like you. A section of Modi's supporters are fanatical in their support. They are abusive and intolerant of criticism and often use foul language; there is a rage inside these people. You gotta wonder what's going on.
What a turn around?

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

marvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond repute

What the..........

Quote:
कन्याकुमारी से कश्मीर तक राष्ट्र के सभी पारिवारिक वर्ग के लीये बेहद सुखद सभंावना जो मोदी सरकार अस्तित्व में आने के बाद लागू हो सकती है

डो सुब. स्वामीजी की बेहद चपल चाणक्यनीति के परिणाम स्वरूप हमारी जो राष्ट्र नीति बनने जा रही हे उससे इरान और साउदीअरेबीया मोदीजी के सामने घुटने टेकने वाले है एसा तय माना जा रहा है, इसके परिणाम स्वरूप देशवासियों को पेट्रोल इरान और साउदीअरेबीया के दामों पर ही मिलेगा...

निम्नलिखित पेट्रोल के दाम 1/5/2014 के है जिससे पता चलता है की अगर इरान और साउदीअरेबीया जेसे देशों के भाव हमारे देश में लागू होने पर पारिवारिक वर्ग को कितनी बचत होगी ।

India Rs 79.20

Pakistan Rs 65.87
Srilanka Rs 79.38
Bangladesh Rs 77.70
Nepal Rs 80.23
Afghanistan Rs 73.55

Iran Rs 7.60
Saudi Rs 9.93

China Rs 85.89
UK Rs 132.60
Turkey Rs 140.19
Italy Rs 149.48
Norway Rs 177.35
Israel Rs 134.28

वेब लींक
http://www.kshitij.com/research/petrol.shtml
Old May 5th, 2014, 09:13 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Tel

Chidu, after his 'Dream Budget' in 1997, had pushed one good thing on to the then UF agenda. A resolution that by 2002, there will be no control of petrol prices.
2002 came, the oil prices were at a low (about $25 a barrel as opposed to $50 after Iraq war and some $140 now). But the then Petroleum Minister Ram Naik scuttled this and the controlled pricing continued and goes on even now.

This is one tricky area and moment Modi tries something on this, we will actually see all Cong fellows protesting against it. If he actually manages to get rid of kerosene subisidies, that will be a big achievement.

BTW, go to shell.com.pk and you see the following prices
Shell Fuel Prices
Product - Super:
Price: 107.97 Rs/Litre

Product - Diesel:
Price: 109.34 Rs/Litre

Product - HOBC KHI:

Price: 136.55 Rs/Litre

Now, the petrol price is what kshitij mentions if you convert PKR to INR (During the first stint of Nawaz Sharif, Pakistani Rupee was stronger than the Indian Rupee. Now, it is a round figure at one cent)
But look at the diesel prices. All over the world including Pakistan, they are more than the pterol prices.
Old May 5th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Senior eCharchan

sanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8_Hindustani View Post
What a turn around?

Your praises of your dear leader have shown me the errors and misconceptions in my thinking.

How can I thank you?
Old May 5th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Senior eCharchan

Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Your praises of your dear leader have shown me the errors and misconceptions in my thinking.

How can I thank you?
By "converting" another AAP wala into Modi wala.

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Chidu, after his 'Dream Budget' in 1997, had pushed one good thing on to the then UF agenda. A resolution that by 2002, there will be no control of petrol prices.
2002 came, the oil prices were at a low (about $25 a barrel as opposed to $50 after Iraq war and some $140 now). But the then Petroleum Minister Ram Naik scuttled this and the controlled pricing continued and goes on even now.

This is one tricky area and moment Modi tries something on this, we will actually see all Cong fellows protesting against it. If he actually manages to get rid of kerosene subisidies, that will be a big achievement.

BTW, go to shell.com.pk and you see the following prices
Shell Fuel Prices
Product - Super:
Price: 107.97 Rs/Litre

Product - Diesel:
Price: 109.34 Rs/Litre

Product - HOBC KHI:

Price: 136.55 Rs/Litre

Now, the petrol price is what kshitij mentions if you convert PKR to INR (During the first stint of Nawaz Sharif, Pakistani Rupee was stronger than the Indian Rupee. Now, it is a round figure at one cent)
But look at the diesel prices. All over the world including Pakistan, they are more than the pterol prices.
Whats the conversion rate,hope petrol diesel is not cheap in Pakistan compared to India.
Old May 5th, 2014, 03:11 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tel

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Whats the conversion rate,hope petrol diesel is not cheap in Pakistan compared to India.
It is now 100 Pak Rupees to a US Dollar which translates about 60 paise for a Pak Rupee. Petrol is Cheaper in Pak (probably they get some peaceful concessions from Saudi), but diesel is costlier.

Edit - Treat the red part as deleted. A more likely reason is they do not cross subsidize like in India

Last edited by sgars; May 6th, 2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: changes
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:40 AM
The Destroyer of Maya

Origmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Congress will pay for its mistakes. They will lose this election. Modi will be the next PM.

Does this mean I should always sing his praises?

He's like any other politician. He has his plus points and his minus points. On the plus side, I think he will reduce corruption, and he will bring added focus to infrastructure. On the minus side, I don't like his authoritarian tendencies. In Gujarat, he exercises complete control over both the state BJP apparatus and the govt machinery, to a level that is rare among CMs in India. You might say that this kind of control leads to faster decision-making. That is true. But it is also far more likely to lead to abuse of power. I do not like politicians with authoritarian tendencies, regardless of their party affiliation. In any system, checks and balances are essential.

You say nice things about him. You support him. But you don't get all worked up when someone criticizes Modi. But not everyone is like you. A section of Modi's supporters are fanatical in their support. They are abusive and intolerant of criticism and often use foul language; there is a rage inside these people. You gotta wonder what's going on.
I'm a passionate defender and admirer of Modi, but I never used foul language.

But one thing which irks Modi supporters like me is the fact that this man is getting flogged over false claims, claims which are largely falsified and crude propaganda by the opposition.

And another thing I don't get is the charge that Modi is authoritarian. Last time I checked, we need a strong leader after the rubber puppet MMS has turned out to be in the past two terms. Call it authoritarian if you like, but I like my prime minister to possess a spine and be his own man with control over control over his destiny.

Frankly after the turbulence and chaos of coalition dharma, I would choose Modi's brand of authority anyday.
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:18 AM
Senior eCharchan

sanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond reputesanjayt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origmos View Post
I'm a passionate defender and admirer of Modi, but I never used foul language.

But one thing which irks Modi supporters like me is the fact that this man is getting flogged over false claims, claims which are largely falsified and crude propaganda by the opposition.

And another thing I don't get is the charge that Modi is authoritarian. Last time I checked, we need a strong leader after the rubber puppet MMS has turned out to be in the past two terms. Call it authoritarian if you like, but I like my prime minister to possess a spine and be his own man with control over control over his destiny.

Frankly after the turbulence and chaos of coalition dharma, I would choose Modi's brand of authority anyday.
As an example of what I mean by authoritarian, look at the incident where the woman was snooped on. These kinds of incidents happen when there is an authoritarian boss in charge, and the subordinates are scared of telling the boss that he is wrong, that he should not pursue this course of action.

In this particular incident, the woman was snooped on. Now she has moved on in her life. But the greatest damage from Snoopgate is to Modi, not to the woman. Someone should have told him, right at the beginning, that if the matter becomes public, it will cause great harm to his own reputation. Why didn't Modi's colleagues and subordinates and officers tell him that? We don't know anything about the decision-making behind this, but I consider these kinds of incidents to be the end-result of having a too-authoritarian boss in charge.

The police dept is with him, the intelligence dept is with him, and Modi demonstrated a disregard for the law in snooping on this woman. What did Amit Shah gain by this snooping? What did Modi gain by this snooping? Hardly anything, except for satisfying a whim of the moment. On the other hand, it has caused harm to Modi's reputation.

I don't find the BJP's spin that this was protection at all credible. There are transcripts and voice chats available of the conversations between Amit Shah and Singhal (the cop who was directing the snooping), and this was no protection; this clearly was snooping on the woman. The BJP's Nirmala Sitharaman, asked on TV about the voice chats, coyly said that the authenticity of the voice chats is yet to be verified. This is standard legalese and means nothing. Now the snooped-upon woman and her father want the Snoopgate probe to stop. What else to expect in India? When a powerful man breaks the law, it is the victim who is expected to be quiet and not kick up a "fuss". The entire system is geared towards protecting the powerful and not the victims.

Let's hope Modi shows better judgment when he becomes PM. One thing about him is that he is quite image-conscious; this might cause him to show a greater regard for the law in future than he did during Snoopgate.

But Congress' posturing about Snoopgate (respect for women, blah blah) is shallow. They themselves have abused power and misused official agencies, the CBI in particular, repeatedly.

Modi has managed power well in Gujarat. He focused on giving consumers a reliable power supply, even if the price is a bit higher. Agricultural growth in Gujarat has outpaced almost every other state. He has tried harder than most CMs to reduce bottlenecks to doing business. So let's hope for the best.
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:00 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Kitni mirch lagi hai bande ne poora article likh daala.. Lol kya janta bhari hai apne des me.. Kaunsa law toota hai?

Are you not concerned about how robber vadra is getting z plus security and no check at airport? Millions spent on him and his wife residence in Delhi provided by GoI.. They are not in govt.
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Senior eCharchan

ungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond reputeungalprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows if our telephone calls, emails , chat being chased by govt agencies....and here we have made a whole snoopgate to let Modi down...
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:21 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Some real depressing news for SanjayT and Marvi bhai.. You all had better get some pills to get over this shock.

Quote:
CBI clean chit for Amit Shah in Ishrat Jahan encounter case

LINK

Citing insufficient evidence, the CBI today gave a clean chit to Narendra Modi's close aide and Gujarat's former home minister Amit Shah in the alleged fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan and three others in 2004.

"There is no sufficient evidence against Amit Shah. Hence CBI has not charge-sheeted him," CBI inspector Vishwas Kumar Meena said in an affidavit filed before the special CBI court.

"It is most respectfully submitted that Shah was not named in the FIR of the case. CBI has also not named him in the charge sheet as an accused," he said.

The premier investigating agency also sought dismissal of the plea by Gopinath Pillai, father of Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, who was among those killed with Ishrat, to arraign Shah and the then Ahmedabad police commissioner K R Kaushik in the case.

Pillai had cited the resignation letter of suspended IPS officer and an accused in the Ishrat Jahan case D G Vanzara in support of his petition.

Vanzara, once considered close to Modi, had in September last year announced his resignation from the IPS, accusing the state government of not protecting police officers jailed in connection with alleged staged encounter cases.

He had then claimed those officers had "simply implemented the conscious policy" of the state government.

Several allegedly fake encounters of claimed terrorists, including those of Sohrabuddin Shaikh and his associate Tulsiram Prajapati, had taken place when Shah was Minister of State for Home. Shah, an accused in both cases, is presently out on bail.

In his resignation letter, Vanzara had targeted Shah, whom he described as an "evil" influence on Modi.

The CBI, in its affidavit today, said, "The said resignation letter contains general allegations and not providing any concrete information about the role of Shah in this offence. After receiving the letter, CBI examined Vanzara in the Jail. However, he has not disclosed any further details during his examinations."

Apart from giving a clean chit to Shah, BJP general secretary and Modi's pointsman in the key battleground state of Uttar Pradesh, the CBI also said there was no evidence against Kaushik to show his involvement in the encounter and so he was made a witness in the case.
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:13 AM
The Destroyer of Maya

Origmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond reputeOrigmos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As an example of what I mean by authoritarian, look at the incident where the woman was snooped on. These kinds of incidents happen when there is an authoritarian boss in charge, and the subordinates are scared of telling the boss that he is wrong, that he should not pursue this course of action.

In this particular incident, the woman was snooped on. Now she has moved on in her life. But the greatest damage from Snoopgate is to Modi, not to the woman. Someone should have told him, right at the beginning, that if the matter becomes public, it will cause great harm to his own reputation. Why didn't Modi's colleagues and subordinates and officers tell him that? We don't know anything about the decision-making behind this, but I consider these kinds of incidents to be the end-result of having a too-authoritarian boss in charge.

The police dept is with him, the intelligence dept is with him, and Modi demonstrated a disregard for the law in snooping on this woman. What did Amit Shah gain by this snooping? What did Modi gain by this snooping? Hardly anything, except for satisfying a whim of the moment. On the other hand, it has caused harm to Modi's reputation.

I don't find the BJP's spin that this was protection at all credible. There are transcripts and voice chats available of the conversations between Amit Shah and Singhal (the cop who was directing the snooping), and this was no protection; this clearly was snooping on the woman. The BJP's Nirmala Sitharaman, asked on TV about the voice chats, coyly said that the authenticity of the voice chats is yet to be verified. This is standard legalese and means nothing. Now the snooped-upon woman and her father want the Snoopgate probe to stop. What else to expect in India? When a powerful man breaks the law, it is the victim who is expected to be quiet and not kick up a "fuss". The entire system is geared towards protecting the powerful and not the victims.

Let's hope Modi shows better judgment when he becomes PM. One thing about him is that he is quite image-conscious; this might cause him to show a greater regard for the law in future than he did during Snoopgate.

But Congress' posturing about Snoopgate (respect for women, blah blah) is shallow. They themselves have abused power and misused official agencies, the CBI in particular, repeatedly.

Modi has managed power well in Gujarat. He focused on giving consumers a reliable power supply, even if the price is a bit higher. Agricultural growth in Gujarat has outpaced almost every other state. He has tried harder than most CMs to reduce bottlenecks to doing business. So let's hope for the best.
Snooping is an age old tradition perpetuated by all rulers and yes, even by non rulers. Witness the outrage over the NSA spying over everyone in the land of freedom aka the US and it can be safely be said that snooping is done by everyone wishing to protect their interests. Even Chandrashekhar as PM was snooped over by Rajiv Gandhi before his government was toppled in the late 80s/ early 90s.

Coming to this particular snoopgate controversy by Narendra Modi, it is highly incorrect to presume that the father daughter duo felt threatened by Modi's power enough to drop the case against him with no recourse to justice. Modi by all means has enough enemies in our land, he is being slandered against by anyone and almost everyone with impunity. Therefore in my opinion if there was any real substance to this case against him, the father daughter would have no shortage of allies to bring down Modi in terms of this controversy. This is the reason why I keep saying Snoopgate is another Congress and media blownup controversy to sling mud on Modi. It didn't hold up in reality and therefore the point of snoopgate being a proof of Modi's authoritarian streak is pretty much moot.
Old September 12th, 2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Now, one thing Gujarat model would not ireduce on its own is your petrol price. It is decided in international markets. Your LPG is actually subsidized (and you receive it in your bank accounts. Well, my neighbours took one cylinder from my connection and the money actually came to my a/c - some 400).

It was supposed to be done the free market way in 2002, but the then Petroleum Minister Ram Naik scuttled it. The free market would result in lower petrol prices but higher diesel, Kerosene and LPG prices. THere would also be variations every day.

But who knows, if Modi has the luck of ABV, may be oil will again go down to $25 a barrel like it was in 2002.

MSM is going wild over petrol prices. But what was scuttled by Ram Naik, finally seems to have happened in Modi Sarkar. There seems to be a petition challenging daily change in prices. Does it matter if petrol goes up by 50 paisa a day instead of 15 rupees a month.

Also, MSM says petrol prices were never as high as before. For something that keeps rising, it will be at an all time high every day.

Like when Indu sarkar came back in 1980, Petrol prices jumped from sone 3 rupees a liter to 5 rupees a liter. Then also they were at an all time high.
Old September 12th, 2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
MSM is going wild over petrol prices. But what was scuttled by Ram Naik, finally seems to have happened in Modi Sarkar. There seems to be a petition challenging daily change in prices. Does it matter if petrol goes up by 50 paisa a day instead of 15 rupees a month.

Also, MSM says petrol prices were never as high as before. For something that keeps rising, it will be at an all time high every day.

Like when Indu sarkar came back in 1980, Petrol prices jumped from sone 3 rupees a liter to 5 rupees a liter. Then also they were at an all time high.
elections are coming.. soon magically prices will go down