eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Crowning Glory

Notices

Crowning Glory A home for our best content ... award winning created by eCharchans!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:12 PM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is online now
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,448
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
So basically.. you bend over I make hay.. I am the insurer. I insure my profits.
You have something called as Competition and regulation, else every body would be in Insurance Business.

And what you said of insurance could apply to any other industry. Like Capital Markets is Legalized betting. Auto Industry is legalized pollution and news media is licensed lying. Only ones left would be Jai Jawan Jai Kisan.

And this Retail thing was also made up as some loot by MNCs. So where are the Lootere?
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:58 PM
GpeL's Avatar
GpeL GpeL is offline
Pelu Pelu
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yahaan vahaan jaahaan tahaan
Posts: 19,162
GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Yes sure but except broking fees, there is no other looting in capital industry.. legalized betting sure so is horse racing.. and vegas.. it is not looting. Gamblind is a vice and no one can argue about that.. but the person enters it knowing full well he can loose its pants.. no one comes to your homes asking to gamble.. unlike insurance.. which is LOOTING as in robbing. show pipe dreams and loot.

Auto Industry is legalized pollution perhaps but it is also legalized travelling, legalized convenience and you get a product (auto there) and fuel also which need money to produce and no one comes to your home asking to buy a car or petrol unlike insurance.. which is LOOTING as in robbing. show pipe dreams and loot.

News media is licensed lying. Sure only no one comes to sell it.. and it takes money to produce the product news.. and no one is asking you to come and watch it, or pay for cable and pay for the gadgets (RV Radio) and they take money to produce.. and further more, you are getting the product (some entertainment lie or truth on your TV set.. so you get what you were promised for a fixed price) and no one comes to your house asking you to watch them.. unlike insurance.. which is LOOTING as in robbing. show pipe dreams and loot.


Only ones left would be Jai Jawan Jai Kisan well yaa with out that all industries are otherwise just good to have not must have.

Same with retail.. you pay you get a product which you can touch, eat, wear, see etc.. unlike insurance.. and no one comes to your home asking to buy (that hershey's choclate stored on aile 7) which is LOOTING as in robbing. show pipe dreams and loot.

So where is the comparison? Pliss elaborate.
__________________
GpeL a day
Keeps mischief away.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:59 PM
GpeL's Avatar
GpeL GpeL is offline
Pelu Pelu
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yahaan vahaan jaahaan tahaan
Posts: 19,162
GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

And you drive around with an uninsured car you will get a chalan.. and no one is giving you a fine for not buying at walmart or kmart.
__________________
GpeL a day
Keeps mischief away.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 08:29 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is online now
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,448
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
And you drive around with an uninsured car you will get a chalan.. and no one is giving you a fine for not buying at walmart or kmart.
I thought you were staying in India. You get pulled over when you are without seat belts, on mobile or without helmet, or whenever the Pandu is in a mood for more. Insurance is the last thing to be checked.

The Fiscal responsibility thing is more in US and has a good reason. You do not hot some one and expect the other guy to pay all the damages. In India too, it is 3rd party insurance which is compulsary for the same reason.

And only TPL insurance is actually a loss making proposition for many insurers. Private insurers would hesitate to insure 2 wheelers particularly in north India (too many theft claims i hear.) And i have seen firms actually using natural disasters and making high claims from insurers by inflating stocks, etc. (And they paid some bonus to the staff who worked overtime to this end!). So the loot gets reversed here.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is online now
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,448
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
Yes sure but except broking fees, there is no other looting in capital industry.. legalized betting sure so is horse racing.. and vegas.. it is not looting. Gamblind is a vice and no one can argue about that.. but the person enters it knowing full well he can loose its pants.. no one comes to your homes asking to gamble.. unlike insurance.. which is LOOTING as in robbing. show pipe dreams and loot.

Auto Industry is legalized pollution perhaps but it is also legalized travelling, legalized convenience and you get a product (auto there) and fuel also which need money to produce and no one comes to your home asking to buy a car or petrol unlike insurance.. which is LOOTING as in robbing. show pipe dreams and loot.

News media is licensed lying. Sure only no one comes to sell it.. and it takes money to produce the product news.. and no one is asking you to come and watch it, or pay for cable and pay for the gadgets (RV Radio) and they take money to produce.. and further more, you are getting the product (some entertainment lie or truth on your TV set.. so you get what you were promised for a fixed price) and no one comes to your house asking you to watch them.. unlike insurance.. which is LOOTING as in robbing. show pipe dreams and loot.


Only ones left would be Jai Jawan Jai Kisan well yaa with out that all industries are otherwise just good to have not must have.

Same with retail.. you pay you get a product which you can touch, eat, wear, see etc.. unlike insurance.. and no one comes to your home asking to buy (that hershey's choclate stored on aile 7) which is LOOTING as in robbing. show pipe dreams and loot.

So where is the comparison? Pliss elaborate.
About forced selling. You have credit cards, mobile cos and real estate cos in India who keep calling you. In fact, i went to ICICI bank to close 1 account saying i am no longer in India and they kept calling my home for an NRI account. And just try filling one of those lucky draw coupons in any mall and see what happens.

About insurance, it is only if your friend or relative is an agent that you get into it. ANd the landscape now is very different from 20 years back.
And i do not want to be selling insurance here, but what you get is some protection. It is one of the means of risk management.

Capital markets - well, you put a good amount of your savings and it can multiply and go bust. So, is that not gambling? And in 2008 we came to know that many who were too busy collecting million dollar bonuses did not realize the risks or exposures their complex products involved (this includes the insurer AIG too).
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:34 AM
GpeL's Avatar
GpeL GpeL is offline
Pelu Pelu
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yahaan vahaan jaahaan tahaan
Posts: 19,162
GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Protection from what?
__________________
GpeL a day
Keeps mischief away.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:50 AM
GpeL's Avatar
GpeL GpeL is offline
Pelu Pelu
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yahaan vahaan jaahaan tahaan
Posts: 19,162
GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
About forced selling. You have credit cards, mobile cos and real estate cos in India who keep calling you. In fact, i went to ICICI bank to close 1 account saying i am no longer in India and they kept calling my home for an NRI account. And just try filling one of those lucky draw coupons in any mall and see what happens.
Quote:
About insurance, it is only if your friend or relative is an agent that you get into it. ANd the landscape now is very different from 20 years back.
Yaa rite!!
Quote:
And i do not want to be selling insurance here, but what you get is some protection. It is one of the means of risk management.
protection from what??? Protection come when you payup ON TIME.. not years later.
Quote:
Capital markets - well, you put a good amount of your savings and it can multiply and go bust. So, is that not gambling? And in 2008 we came to know that many who were too busy collecting million dollar bonuses did not realize the risks or exposures their complex products involved (this includes the insurer AIG too).
[/quote]

Yes I said it was gambling.. but informed gamble.. but hell yes..

But none of the examples including credit cards PREY ON YOUR FEARS.. they just sell the benefits of owning one and give you dreams of grandiose. Not dreams of despration.. doh!! Well in that case all advert are illegal in the sense, fair and handsome turns you a fat mukri into a slim shahrukh khaan.. girls fall for you for no good reason kinds... but it is still not preying on fears.. preying on dreams yes.. preying on fear is the worst method.. is it effective.. hell yaa.. but is it ethical.. IMHO no.

JUst an example in 2012 JFK handled 49,292,733 or 49.2 million passengers. If each enrolled for 20$ insurance for 1 million coverage per head, you collect that much for PHREEEEEEEEE.. over 10 years may be there is one accident.. with 800 passengers. So 800 million say in doleouts and that too after loads of umph and aamph.. and all..

So in 10 years, you collected 984 million and gave out 800 mil and that asssuming worst case scenario.(the worst AVIATION disaster was The Tenerife disaster, which happened on 27 March 1977, with number of airliner passenger fatalities at 583).

So now your turn sir.
__________________
GpeL a day
Keeps mischief away.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:14 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is online now
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,448
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
So now your turn sir.
To take the JFK example. if there is 20$ and the and you have $4 of expected free profit (980-800 works to 20% of sale), some other co will come and sell at $17 the same insurance. That is how every industry works, unless you become some icon like Apple was or have monopoly, like was the case of LIC when some agents pestered you and it was actually the case for general insurances too till 2007.

More on Insurance in India- prior to opening up, you had LIC and 4 GIC subisidiaries and although they claimed best claims settlement ratio in the world, we knew it invovled a good number of trips to the offices and in case of General Insurance, some bribery too. And the premiums were high because the calculation was conservative (mortality rates were for average life expectency whereas policy holders had higher life expectency)

It took 8 years by 4 govts (PV, HD, Gujral and ABV) to allow private companies into insurance. There were a host of companies which came in. But the rates were same since they were still regulated by the govts. The private cos however competed on basis of customer service and sold hitherto unsold ones like travel insurance and term insurance (it was probably there, but the LIC agents never told you since their commissions might have been lower). In 2007, the rates were 'detarrifed' and then you had a free for all. Here, now there is no more free profits. In fact, american cos like New York Life and Chubb have since pulled out of India.


There were a lot of protests against insurance opening up too, by employees of all PSU insurers. But again, in 2001, the first year of Private Insurers, the LIC sales went up by record 30%thanks to the selling of insurance concept. And these cos to set up shop need to have capital of 100 Cr rupees. I guess retail also had a similar requirement.

And any one wanting to sell something meant to mitigate a loss will 'Prey on your fears' like those who sell helmets or fire extinguishers.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:32 AM
GpeL's Avatar
GpeL GpeL is offline
Pelu Pelu
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yahaan vahaan jaahaan tahaan
Posts: 19,162
GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

The questoin still remains.. WHAT LOSS are you mitigating? Imagined loss and pay for it till death? I mean a fire extinguisher or helmet or dettol do not fit the bill you need to refill fireextinguishers once every 5 years or so.. or buy a new helmet 5 years or so and dettol every 2 years on expiry.. but they do not just lapse if you miss a payment do they? It is like I got a noose around you.. I am off.. I took your money.. thank you.. and no are no longer insured.. and if insured you do not fit the bill one way or other no we did not cover THAT risk.. it was if you hit a pedestrian when he was trying to board a running train.. sorts.. something to wiggle out from.. you did not cover it.. ok then refund me the bloody premiums .. nope too bad.. we insured you against something that did not happen in a certain period.. your period ended.. you had similar loss but a tad different conditions.. so fukk off is the modus operandi..

I refuse to insure myself except health and mandatory car insurance. I have not gone for life insurance and such. and I shall not. I always tell my children the moement you get 1 crore for example bulk there will be hawks waiting to lynch you and before ytou know, you nwill be broke.. so I will educate you..no one can rob that from you. Yes there will be savings and they will be put as per my wisdom in some account where you cannot just waste it.. you will get it if needed and all but not for shits and giggles and ofcourse you will not be fooled.

Insurance.. yaa right.
__________________
GpeL a day
Keeps mischief away.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:38 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is online now
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,448
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
The questoin still remains.. WHAT LOSS are you mitigating? Imagined loss and pay for it till death?.
Here, it is financing the risk (possibility of a loss) and not mitigating it. You pay a small amount of assured loss in exchange for a larger amount of a possible loss.

Like my cousin insured his home and when it got damaged thanks to his leaving it freezing, he got an alternate acco for over a month plus the repairs. Had nothing happened to his home, he would have still paid the premium.

In case of Auto or Home, the loss may or may not happen, but in case of life, it is bound to happen! Hence is technically not insurance but Life Assurance.

You pay till death only for 'Whole life' or some such products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
refuse to insure myself except health and mandatory car insurance. I have not gone for life insurance and such. and I shall not. .
Your Choice. If you save and decide what happens when you go and what happens if you hang on for longer than you expected (that is also a risk!), Your Risk Management is done.

Some large Cos like GE also do not go for insurance.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:27 PM
swami's Avatar
swami swami is offline
Super eCharchan
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,846
swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
I thought you were staying in India. You get pulled over when you are without seat belts, on mobile or without helmet, or whenever the Pandu is in a mood for more. Insurance is the last thing to be checked.
Atleast in Mumbai for any offense,after they have your driving license in their hand you are first asked for your insurance papers second puc and very rarely do they ask for registration papers.
Say you were driving without seatbelts they ask for your license,he is reading your license while you say sorry or give some excuse,next he asks for your insurance,if thats produced and is valid then you are asked for your puc.
Most of the time people forget renewing their insurance,which is yearly and puc which is valid half yearly in such case the fine would be for seatbelt+insurance+puc,pandu gets more rishwat for letting you go.
Not having a valid PUC is the most stupid thing one can do,Pollution Under Control is a test available at most petrol pumps where the reading is just a formality they write the approved units in all the certificates they issue and it costs less then Rs.100 but the fine for not holding a valid puc can go upto Rs.2000.
__________________
There are four kinds of people to avoid in the world: the assholes, the asswipes, the ass-kissers, and those that just will shit all over you.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:41 PM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is online now
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,448
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Atleast in Mumbai for any offense,after they have your driving license in their hand you are first asked for your insurance papers second puc and very rarely do they ask for registration papers.
Say you were driving without seatbelts they ask for your license,he is reading your license while you say sorry or give some excuse,next he asks for your insurance,if thats produced and is valid then you are asked for your puc.
Most of the time people forget renewing their insurance,which is yearly and puc which is valid half yearly in such case the fine would be for seatbelt+insurance+puc,pandu gets more rishwat for letting you go.
Not having a valid PUC is the most stupid thing one can do,Pollution Under Control is a test available at most petrol pumps where the reading is just a formality they write the approved units in all the certificates they issue and it costs less then Rs.100 but the fine for not holding a valid puc can go upto Rs.2000.
Oh well, i was talking about my vintage. I got pulled up once in Orissa and the Pandu let me go after i said sorry and after threatening me that he could lodge some 50 cases against me. Guess he was one of a kind. Apparently he was anti Bihari and once when some Biharis offered him bribe, he told them it is not Bihar. and just put a good challan on them. This was all about 20 years back.

In Hyd they asked me for a bribe straightaway. In Bang, one gave me a choice on which category i should pay the fine- FOr the lights not working or outside registration.

In Hyd, there are mobile PUC walas, who operate out of Omnis. But if you hang around for a while, you know how to avoid all this. e.g. after our daru ka adda visits, we would wrap up around 9:00PM (thats when the happy hours also ended many places). The cops would be on look out after 10 PM or so.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:43 PM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is online now
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,448
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Not having a valid PUC is the most stupid thing one can do,
Next to not having the seatbelt on!
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:20 PM
GpeL's Avatar
GpeL GpeL is offline
Pelu Pelu
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yahaan vahaan jaahaan tahaan
Posts: 19,162
GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
I thought you were staying in India. You get pulled over when you are without seat belts, on mobile or without helmet, or whenever the Pandu is in a mood for more. Insurance is the last thing to be checked.
Yes I am here in India permtemporatily but that does not give me the right to break the laws.. does it? More than insurance, I hate greesing the palms of the officials and pandus.. I was once caught in HYD (I have posted it here long time ago in some thread) in hyd in front of basera hotel in secbad for being on the "wrong" side i.e I crossed the center line while overtaking. The funny part was, there WAS not center line.. just left to the publlics imagination.. the road is this wide so the center line should be about here.. sorts.. and the dude asked me for my license I gave it.. he returned it.. asked for insu it was there.. and then took my keys and started to hassle me but not overtly asking me to shell out 50 100 something.. I refused. I was quite close to my home.. walkable distance of few minutes.. and the scooter was not mine and it was infact the property of our landlord who had given it to me to drop his high school son to collect some forms and come back.. That dude was a senior inspector in the police.. I put the scooter on stand, told that pandu that he will have to drop it off and gave him the addy, walked off.. told my landlord the story in brief and went to my part of the house. That guy was a quite a charectar.. he made that pandu bring back the scooter and fill it up with petrol and gave him a piece of his mind, made him apologise and all.. it was fun.. I have, I am proud to say, never NEVER paid a single penny in bribe.. There were other instances and infact used to annoy my wife that I harvest trouble for time pass sakes.

I will tell you the story where my wife felt I was being impractical if interested no point eating up your brains for breakfast
__________________
GpeL a day
Keeps mischief away.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old December 4th, 2013, 06:28 AM
sgars's Avatar
sgars sgars is online now
2
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mid West
Posts: 8,448
sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: India's Retail Sector opens up to Foreign Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpeL View Post
Yes I am here in India permtemporatily but that does not give me the right to break the laws.. does it? More than insurance, I hate greesing the palms of the officials and pandus.. I was once caught in HYD (I have posted it here long time ago in some thread) in hyd in front of basera hotel in secbad for being on the "wrong" side i.e I crossed the center line while overtaking. The funny part was, there WAS not center line.. just left to the publlics imagination.. the road is this wide so the center line should be about here.. sorts.. and the dude asked me for my license I gave it.. he returned it.. asked for insu it was there.. and then took my keys and started to hassle me but not overtly asking me to shell out 50 100 something.. I refused. I was quite close to my home.. walkable distance of few minutes.. and the scooter was not mine and it was infact the property of our landlord who had given it to me to drop his high school son to collect some forms and come back.. That dude was a senior inspector in the police.. I put the scooter on stand, told that pandu that he will have to drop it off and gave him the addy, walked off.. told my landlord the story in brief and went to my part of the house. That guy was a quite a charectar.. he made that pandu bring back the scooter and fill it up with petrol and gave him a piece of his mind, made him apologise and all.. it was fun.. I have, I am proud to say, never NEVER paid a single penny in bribe.. There were other instances and infact used to annoy my wife that I harvest trouble for time pass sakes.

I will tell you the story where my wife felt I was being impractical if interested no point eating up your brains for breakfast
Haha what an experience. The guy did not know that the scooter belonged to a Pandu. I used to drive a scooter with outside registration. SO the Pandus never bothered to check the other stuff.

Post your impractical experience tomorrow at the same time.
__________________
This is quite a game, politics. There are no permanent enemies, and no permanent friends,only permanent interests. - Some Firang
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US retail giants to boycott Indian leather shahenshah Taaza Khabar - Current news 10 December 19th, 2011 02:42 AM
Wal-Mart ties up with Bharti for Retail Venture Cooldude Economy 8 November 27th, 2011 12:38 PM
Buy sex toys at retail stores in 'bold' Tamil Nadu echarcha Cultural Exchange 4 September 5th, 2011 03:59 PM
Reliance commences first phase of retail venture Gr8_Hindustani Economy 4 December 7th, 2006 12:52 AM
Jobs abound in India's tech sector vipul Taaza Khabar - Current news 3 October 4th, 2003 02:10 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Copyright © eCharcha.Com 2000-2012.