eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old April 11th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie reviews of some off beat films that I saw recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
I disagree. I think Dhanush is the only actor in India who can play and act like a 14-year old... him and Amitabh Bachchan but the latter cannot at this time because of his white beard. And because of that talent of his, Dhanush is the most fitting actor. As for ugly-look, there is not a single 14-year old in the world who can be called attractive... unless you are his/her mother

Also, beauty is in the eye of the be(er)holder
You may find beauty in guys stalking and tormenting pretty women, but I don't. You have no sympathy, as you mentioned in your previous post, for the woman who was psychologically tortured in the movie. But you were impressed the director and actor AND the story. Ashdoc was specifically impressed by the stalker's tenacity, so you are guilty by association.

Old April 11th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Coffee bloom

'Coffee Bloom' is set in the lovely coffee plantations of Coorg , a mountainous and scenic region of penisular India . And the cinematographer does justice to the scenery in which the film has been shot , by showcasing the verdant land full of lush greenery and lakes and beautiful forests . One gets in to a relaxed mood on seeing the superb landscape , and does not want to see any trouble break into this paradise....

....But trouble does come , in the form of a troubled young man ( Dev Cariappa played by Arjun Mathur ) who has a permanently skewed expression on his face . His life has gone off course years ago , after his elopement with his girlfriend was derailed by her parents and she was separated from him by brute force . He then sold his coffee plantation in Coorg in a fit of frustration and retreated into renouncement of the world altogether to try to become an ascetic . But the death of his mother forces him to face the real world , and he realizes his mistake in selling the lush green coffee plantation that was family property . And he comes back to Coorg---the land of his ancestors , the land where he grew up , the land with so many childhood memories...to try to reclaim the land .

And what does he come face to face with in his land ?? His woman....or rather his ex girlfriend Anika ( played by Sugandha Garg )....It is her husband who owns the plantation now , and he is known as Vas ( actually Vas is short form of Srinivas Panicker , played by Mohan Kapoor ) . Vas is a jolly good fellow who may be a nice guy but has little in the way of brains . He dreams of having a coffee bloom in his plantation without any technical knowledge of growing coffee and hires Dev the coffee growing expert , not knowing that it is Dev's former land....

Hmm....Dev's former land and Dev's former woman---Vas is in possession of them both....And Dev is determined to get them both back , by hook or crook....and sparks fly between Dev and Anika , who looks good in chest hugging and cleavage baring tops....but the situation is complicated by the entry of the Bengali woman who loves Dev , and who outmatches Anika due to her buxom figure and her full body and her wet saris and her sleeveless blouses....

So who what happens next ?? Will Dev get his land and his woman and his revenge over his wrongs and his life.....will he get them back ?? What about the innocent Vas who is not party to any of these secrets ?? What is the role of the bengali woman in all this ??
Watch the movie for the answers....

All the actors act out their part well , but the best acting is by Mohan Kapoor . He puts joi de vivre in his role , endlessly yak yaking from his mouth and seeming like a genuine person . You really feel sympathy for his character , completely oblivious to the storm brewing around him while he is dreaming of brewing coffee !! Compared to him , Dev ( Arjun Mathur ) looks like a selfish and self centered person constantly brooding over past wrongs . Anika maintains her composure even though she is caught between two men , Sugandha Garg has acted that role well . Ultimately it is the Bengali woman who urges Dev to do what is right....

I was pleasantly surprised by the lovely locations and breathtaking scenery of the film , the acting of the actors , and the good direction and storyline , and above all by the fine ending !! And I was happy that there are little gems to be discovered in the world of film making and this film is such a gem....
There is only one song and it is hummable , and the music is good and apt for the situations .

One day I hope to visit Coorg ; but if I can't then I will watch it in this film....

Verdict---Good .
Three and a half stars .
Reading Kalidas's half completed stories is much better then reading Ashdoc's half movie review
Old April 11th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
You may find beauty in guys stalking and tormenting pretty women, but I don't. You have no sympathy, as you mentioned in your previous post, for the woman who was psychologically tortured in the movie. But you were impressed the director and actor AND the story. Ashdoc was specifically impressed by the stalker's tenacity, so you are guilty by association.
The movie is about a psycho (there... now you went and made me reveal the suspense ). The actor played the psycho to the hilt... excellently played. And that is what I am praising. Saala, kal ko bolega I am a psycho-sympathizer because Anthony Perkins played such a perfect role.

As for the psychologically tortured girl, she was a paedophile. A much older girl falling for an adolescent boy. And you liked her. Who is the sympathizer here How can you even like that psycho girl

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:01 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Reading Kalidas's half completed stories is much better then reading Ashdoc's half movie review
it is not right to reveal the whole story in a review .
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:07 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
a film is to be appreciated by looking at the acting of the actors , by judging the director's skill , cinematography , music etc .

whether it is wrong in it's premise should not be considered . hindi cinema is littered with films which demean women , such is the position of women in our backward society . that way many films will be considered bad .
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:15 PM
senior echarchan

Here is one such film that is guarunteed to anger kalidas pai

Pati parmeshwar

This whole Bollywood film is ridiculous .

A man ( shekhar suman ) spurns a stunningly beautiful glamorous woman ( dimple kapadia ) to marry a plane jane . The glamorous woman has to become a prostitute because she was rejected ( really ?? she could not find other men to marry ?? ) .glamorous woman decides to take revenge by ensnaring him . he soon gets entrapped in her charms . in the midst of alcohol binges with her he develops paralysis of both limbs . So what does plane jane ( sudha chandran ) do---she actually ( can you believe this ) decides to take her husband to his mistress' ( glamorous woman ) home every night , so that he can fulfill his lust to be with her . why? because husband is God.....his wishes and desires are supreme , and dutiful women must do whatever they can to satisfy their husbands , even if it entails taking them to their mistresses every night .

Can you find anything more absurd than this ??

Last edited by ashdoc; April 11th, 2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old April 11th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I disagree. I think Dhanush is the only actor in India who can play and act like a 14-year old... him and Amitabh Bachchan but the latter cannot at this time because of his white beard. And because of that talent of his, Dhanush is the most fitting actor. As for ugly-look, there is not a single 14-year old in the world who can be called attractive... unless you are his/her mother

Also, beauty is in the eye of the be(er)holder

Previously, I thought you as a punjabi, but now you speak....... and I can see that you are a typical pure madrasi.
To tell you the truth, Dhanush is a dhabba(black spot) even on the name of the word “Actor”. He is good for nothing and worst of the worst. Wake up early in the morning and on the “first come first serve basis” u pick any cart-puller or aalu-bakaalu and sabjii-tarkaari foot-path seller,.. and I bet, he will look more decent than Dhanush and can do at least a lot better acting. This guy is good for absolutely nothing. In the movie he seems like a
Senthikada, a haddi-pasali guy,…. A T B patient,.. { kudos to KRK, for this movie’s review, he narrated exactly about Dhanus } but somehow, like I said the stories’ sensitivity of a hard-blind love immersed fellow ‘s character has saved him,…

I still can’t imagine how the southern ppl can tolerate Dhanus… Totally unbelievable.
He is T H E most disgusting in any category you name him and evaluate him,…

Movie Shamitabh was a Flat n’ Flop, I have absolutely no wonder,…
Old April 12th, 2016, 04:21 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here is one such film that is guarunteed to anger kalidas pai

Pati parmeshwar

This whole Bollywood film is ridiculous .

A man ( shekhar suman ) spurns a stunningly beautiful glamorous woman ( dimple kapadia ) to marry a plane jane . The glamorous woman has to become a prostitute because she was rejected ( really ?? she could not find other men to marry ?? ) .glamorous woman decides to take revenge by ensnaring him . he soon gets entrapped in her charms . in the midst of alcohol binges with her he develops paralysis of both limbs . So what does plane jane ( sudha chandran ) do---she actually ( can you believe this ) decides to take her husband to his mistress' ( glamorous woman ) home every night , so that he can fulfill his lust to be with her . why? because husband is God.....his wishes and desires are supreme , and dutiful women must do whatever they can to satisfy their husbands , even if it entails taking them to their mistresses every night .

Can you find anything more absurd than this ??
This film landed into controversy with Censors not passing the film because it was so regressive. The makers ultimately had to go to court and won.

The maker i think is the Husband of Sadhana. She was also in the nooze promoting the film as a 'clean family entertainer'
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:56 AM
senior echarchan

The man who captured Eichmann

After the German defeat in world war 2 , many of Hitler's top brass ran away to south America . Both Josef Mengele ( who had committed horrible experiments on bodies of live jews ) and Adolf Eichmann ( who had helped in transportation of jews to death camps ) fled to Argentina , where the far right wing government offered them a new identity and a chance to live .

But the Israeli spy agency ( MOSSAD ) was on the lookout for them and not all of them were able to lead peaceful lives . This movie is about the capture of Adolf Eichmann by the MOSSAD in 1960 and his transportation to Israel to face trial . He was eventually executed for his crimes against humanity .

But as the movie shows , identifying Eichmann was not a easy thing as he had acquired a new identity . He was first suspected because the father of the woman his son was dating repelled him as the father of the woman had the serial number of a nazi death camp on his wrist ; the number being a sign that he was a jew . The father contacted the Israeli authorities and they were not sure because the father was blind . But eventually a team is sent to try identify Eichmann , led by MOSSAD agent Peter Malkin ( played by Arliss Howard ) . This team keeps a close watch on the activities of Eichmann and hits pay dirt---for the person they are watching celebrates his marriage anniversary on the same date as Eichmann's marriage anniversary , thus confirming his identity .

The capture of Eichmann is planned to be a relatively simple affair ; just overpower him while he is walking towards his home after alighting from a bus that he regularly alights from , and bundle him in a car and speed off....but the plan almost misfires as the target does not alight from the bus that night and heavy rain starts pouring . But the MOSSAD agents are nothing if not patient and wait till Eichmann alights from another bus later . Luckily by this time the rain has stopped . And the agents succeed before Eichmann's waiting wife can raise a hue and cry .

In the safe house where Eichmann is kept as a captive , the Israeli agents take turns to guard him . And they make him confess his real identity . In the beginning some kind of rapport develops between the captors and captured . But as they talk over food and wine Eichmann tries to deny his culpability in the holocaust . His rants touch a raw nerve and the agents guarding him are utterly repelled from the task of guarding him ; no one wants to give him company .

As arguments start between Eichmann and Peter Malkin , a powerful scene in which Peter goes away from the room to cry his heart out brings out the difference of the jewish experience from the life experience of normal people like us ; Peter cries because he has lost much of his family to the holocaust and hence can't bear Eichmann's rants , and similarly all the other members of the capturing team have lost their families . In effect , they are torn and uprooted people....not a single one of them has led a normal life of security and comfort like us....One wonders why the jews are such a hated people and why have so many atrocities been committed on them ?

Capturing Eichmann is one thing , but taking him out of Argentina is another....for Eichmann's son has contacted the Argentinian police and they are on the lookout for the Israelis ; the police has promised Eichmann's son that all exit points from Argentina are being watched and the Israelis won't be able to take Eichmann to Israel to stand trial .

So how do the Israelis manage take their prisoner out of Argentina to Israel ? Watch the movie for that....

Robert Duvall has put up a good performance as Eichmann and Arliss Howard is good as Peter Malkin . Towards the end the movie comes close to look like a thriller....but it being made for TV , it is hampered by it's low budget . Still it is an okay watch .

Verdict---Okay .
Two and a half stars .
Old April 14th, 2016, 12:29 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

^^
There is a similar movie 'Odessa file' based on the novel of the same name. It is from 70s but I saw that in Regal(Colaba) in 88.
Old April 14th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
a film is to be appreciated by looking at the acting of the actors , by judging the director's skill , cinematography , music etc .

whether it is wrong in it's premise should not be considered . hindi cinema is littered with films which demean women , such is the position of women in our backward society . that way many films will be considered bad .
Quote:
The movie is about a psycho (there... now you went and made me reveal the suspense ). The actor played the psycho to the hilt... excellently played. And that is what I am praising. Saala, kal ko bolega I am a psycho-sympathizer because Anthony Perkins played such a perfect role.

As for the psychologically tortured girl, she was a paedophile. A much older girl falling for an adolescent boy. And you liked her. Who is the sympathizer here How can you even like that psycho girl
As they say in my country - Brain bigger or Buffalo! Forget it. No point arguing.

Old April 17th, 2016, 01:10 PM
senior echarchan

The gift

A couple ( played by Jason Bateman and Rebecca Hall ) moves into Los Angeles from Chicago and they run into an old schoolmate ( played by Joel Edgerton ) of Jason , who begins to regularly drop in their house . Everytime he comes he comes with a gift . Soon his visits get creepier and the gifts become creepier too and the couple soon begins to feel uncomfortable with his visits .

But the really creepy experience is when the two are invited to his house ( I am not telling what is so creepy ) . Jason warns Joel not to ever visit them again . Jason is satisfied with this , but Rebecca is worried and keeps thinking about this whole thing again and again . She steals pills from her neighbour and begins to wonder if someone is constantly in her house watching her every move . Sick with worry , she faints for a prolonged period one day .

After this , the couple receive one last gift with a letter with from Joel in which the Joel says that he is willing to 'let bygones be bygones' . Soon Rebecca become pregnant and the couple forget the whole thing in their happiness , until Rebecca sees Joel watching her in a supermarket one day .

Intrigued by all the events , Rebecca begins an investigation into events of the past and soon secrets begin to tumble out . Rebecca has to soon confront facts about her husband that make her thoroughly uncomfortable about him .

So who is the hero and who is the villain of the story ? What are events of the past that Joel is raking up ? What does he want ?
Watch the movie for the answers....

Joel Edgerton pulls off the feat of looking menacing and a victim at the same time ; a man thoroughly wronged but also doing wrong villainous things....you don't know whether to sympathise with him or to be terrorised by him . For a long time the movie moves smoothly with small hints given of what is going to happen ; subtly the terror descends upon the couple and the audience . Everytime Rebecca is alone in the house is a nerve racking time for the audience ; you feel relived that nothing happens to her when her husband returns from work to give her company , but just as you begin to think nothing has happened to her suddenly your worst fears for her are realized at the climax .

Violence is largely underplayed in the film , but what happens in the climax is worse than violence . An atmosphere of fear is constantly kept in the film , but no garish sound effects or flamboyant visual effects are used . I was rooted to my seat throughout the movie watching experience .

Verdict---Good .
Old April 23rd, 2016, 03:47 PM
senior echarchan

Prahaar ( 1991 )

Nana Patekar is known to be one of the most eccentric persons in the film industry . But for this very reason when he makes a film it is truly from the heart---no commercial considerations hamper the making of the film . This film is an offshoot of the personality of Nana Patekar---it shows his idealism in it's full eccentric glory , and it also shows the reserves of violence that are within the depths of his crackpot persona .

He plays a an army officer ( Major Chauhan ) who trains some of the finest commandos for the Indian army . But his past and his life have been tainted by the memories of his illegitimate birth and the fact that his mother was later kidnapped by goons who sold her into a brothel . Thus he plays a person with a traumatic past which has left him emotionally and psychologically scarred . The injustice he suffered as an illegitimate child who had to bear the taunts that society throws at illegitimate children and the fact that his mother was forced into prostitution , makes him a person unwilling to ever bear any injustice again . He has joined the army to become an ace commando because it makes a person physically fit to fight against injustice , an injustice he has resolved never to suffer again .

And he forces the men who train under him to undergo a really gruelling training regimen . Soldiers fear to train under his command . In such an atmosphere comes to train commando Peter D'Souza ( Gautam Joglekar ) . Peter is an idealistic young man who has high dreams of fighting for his country and has joined the army in opposition to his fiancee's ( Madhuri Dixit ) and father's opposition .

The training of the commandos is really exhilarating and shows the regimen of the commandos with breathtaking detail . This part is really the high point of the movie . How boys who are initially scared of jumping from heights convert into real men who can climb high obstacles , kill snakes for food , can march for miles on end carrying huge luggage on the shoulders , can fire deadly weapons , and can undertake combat with their bare arms and legs---all this is superbly shown in the movie . The glory of army life and the way that Chauhan instils discipline into his men is something you watch with pride . There are plenty of lighthearted moments too in the training , which keep you entertained . At the end of the training Peter is awarded the best commando award .

But just as training is complete , Peter and Chauhan are selected to thwart a terrorist attack . They do so successfully , but in the fight Peter loses both his legs . He is honourably discharged . Shirley ( Madhuri Dixit ) still insists on marrying him inspite of his lost legs . Peter invites Chauhan to his wedding .

But when Chauhan comes to Bombay to attend the wedding , he finds that Peter has been murdered !! The murder was committed by goons who wanted 'protection money' to let Peter run his bakery , but which Peter refuses to give .

Chauhan tries to get witnesses to tell the police of the murder , but no one comes forward fearing the goons . When he fights the goons himself , common people throw stones on him because they fear that his activities will bring the goons' wrath on them !!

But Chauhan stays at the home of a widow ( Dimple Kapadia ) who helps him , and he sets about reforming the society around that part of Bombay . And that reforming is done in true Nana Patekar style---by dollops of extreme violence . He literally starts killing all the anti social elements in the area , including Peter's killers . However , given the vast number of anti social elements this is clearly a hopeless task....

Patekar has tried to bring out the necessity to fight the 'internal enemy'---the criminal mafia that erodes the inside of any nation . This he shows by showcasing the tragedy of Peter---a soldier who had fought the nation's external enemies and wanted a life of honour and dignity , but had to suffer a dog's death at the hands of the mafia .

In the end Chauhan is shown to be brought to court , where he is asked to be kept under the supervision of a psychiatrist---for the court feels that though he had good intentions , his methods were flawed and his ideas came from his unstable mind . He dreams of building a new society of courageous people who have the guts to stand up and fight for their rights .

The movie was acclaimed by the critics for its straight-from-the-heart performance by Nana , and for the real pain which he showed at the inability of ordinary people to stand up to the tyranny of criminals . But women from all walks of life panned the movie for it's showcasing of violence , and the brutal methods shown to cure the ills of society . To some people , the fact that the new society that Nana wanted to build was so pure that it consisted young people who were completely naked reeked of his real life madness . But the film will remembered for it's superb showcasing of army life and commando training , it's fine acting performances , great photography and technical perfection , and decent music .

However , the film remained destined to be hailed as a good film only by reviewers like myself....for it failed at the box office . Another irony is that it was funded by the mafia itself () , for the producer of the film ( Sudhakar Bokade ) was well connected with the mafia . It remains a matter of debate as to whether the movie can be classified as art or commercial , because it had elements of both .

Verdict---Great .
Four stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; April 23rd, 2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 05:24 PM

^^
I got a crew cut like haircut shortly after this movie released and friends started commenting 'Look he wants to be like Nana Patekar'.

I remember one of the reviewers commenting then that Nana Patekar was showing his being s Shiv Sainik with this movie.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 09:32 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
^^
I got a crew cut like haircut shortly after this movie released and friends started commenting 'Look he wants to be like Nana Patekar'.

I remember one of the reviewers commenting then that Nana Patekar was showing his being s Shiv Sainik with this movie.
shiv sainik how come ?

after all the romantic leads are both shown to be christian---peter dsouza and shirley .