eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old December 10th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Sense of Nationalism

I may be wrong but I notice that in India we lay a lot more stress on giving religious education to our children rather than nationalistic education. We teach them prayers and devotional songs and tell them how important faith (in God) is. Nothing wrong about that but I feel we should also teach our children the importance of patriotism, not only at the family level but also at the school level.

I remember in the Catholic school I attended, we non-Christians had a lesson in Moral Science and in the protestant school once in a week we had Scripture.

In the same spirit, why not have an hour per week on National conscienceness? This could include topics like for example, showing pride in our country, the importance of remaining "clean" i.e not being corrupt, discouraging any type of illegal activity and other things which could make the child into an almost ideal citizen. The school also could take up some projects for helping the needy in villages.

Any comments???
Old December 10th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

BlrBoy is on a distinguished road
Nationalism is a subset of Humanism, State sprite is a Subset if Nationalism, city sprite is subset of Family sprite.

So Nationalism is not a really a great thing. We have to teach people to learn and respect people. this can be achived by religious teaching or moral sience.

All the problem in this world is due to Nationalism...(please dont say its religion)We feel proud of a country so.. we safe gaurd it and if someone says something about it we fight for it.

People understand the importance of respecting fellow human.. this world we will be a better place.
Old December 10th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
I am not denying that nationalism is causing problems in the society. But it is also true that if kids don't have a sense of nationalism, our country will never prosper. By nationalism I don't mean fighting with other countries but I mean it in the way Dr. Kalam does. Now, he is a true PATRIOT.

Last edited by Netra; December 10th, 2002 at 07:58 AM.
Old December 10th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
I am not denying that nationalism is causing problems in the society. But it is also true that if kids don't have a sense of nationalism, our country will never prosper. By nationalism I don't mean fighting with other countries but I mean it in the way Dr. Kalam does. Now, he is a true PATRIOT.
Netra, Dont u think we have sense of Nationalism, even though we were not thought in class.. I dont think anyone can teach love.. same way we cannot teach sense of love to nation(nationalism) to people

I have meeting i will continue
Old December 10th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by BlrBoy
Netra, Dont u think we have sense of Nationalism, even though we were not thought in class.. I dont think anyone can teach love.. same way we cannot teach sense of love to nation(nationalism) to people

I have meeting i will continue
You know Blrboy when I developed my sense of nationalism? It was after I came here, that I realised what my country meant to me. I don't know about you. In those days, I would mind buying a cinema ticket in the black-market, but if somebody had told me why it was wrong, I wouldn't have done it.

If I could pick up a number of things and put them into practice during my moral science classes, why wouldn't I have picked up some things during my Nationalism classes.

In my niece's school (St. Columba) the girls were given to understand the pollution caused by fire-crackers for Diwali. So the girls didn't burst any firecrackers that year which helped to some extent (even if it was the minimum) in control of pollution. Small things like this could help a lot.
Old December 10th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
You know Blrboy when I developed my sense of nationalism? It was after I came here, that I realised what my country meant to me. I don't know about you. In those days, I would mind buying a cinema ticket in the black-market, but if somebody had told me why it was wrong, I wouldn't have done it.

If I could pick up a number of things and put them into practice during my moral science classes, why wouldn't I have picked up some things during my Nationalism classes.

In my niece's school (St. Columba) the girls were given to understand the pollution caused by fire-crackers for Diwali. So the girls didn't burst any firecrackers that year which helped to some extent (even if it was the minimum) in control of pollution. Small things like this could help a lot.
Netra, I agree with u, But.. (there is always a but ).. we have to teach our kids the basics.. if your basics are right, u can become a good humanbeing. We have to teach our kids our social, moral responsibilities. Nationalism will come automatically.. Nationalism is a by-product..

You know what will happen, if we have classes on Nationalism.. The sylabus will be full of how bad Pakistan is... and how good our nation is.. and things like that..

It will be like Hinduthava preached by VHP... anything goes in Hinduthava except following the teachings in our religion...
Old December 10th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Banned

Darling is on a distinguished road
I do not know the reasons but never even once in my life I have ever felt patriotic and I don't even feel sorry for it .

PAtaa nahin kyu deshbhakti kaa Zaraa saa bhee Zazbaa meray andar maujood nahin hai .

What do you think could be the reason (s)?

Also I feel that those who talk about patriotism are simply pretending as at times due to social needs I have to pretend to be patriotic in public but in my heart I know that I am not at all a bit patriotic .So I feel that it surely must be the case with many others also .

What say you ?

Bloody Independence day and republic day are just another days for me .
Old December 10th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Darling

Bloody Independence day and republic day are just another days for me .
Where did I read this before?
Old December 10th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Talking

Pelu,

I think we should now have a checklist of characteristics and make this into a game.

hayn??

------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American

Last edited by Super Girl; December 10th, 2002 at 11:51 AM.
Old December 10th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
vaise is baar biggie ka baburao ko lightning strike nahi hua.. usually instantaneous thunder clap hota hai..
Old December 10th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Banned

Darling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
Where did I read this before?
Akhbaar may padhaa hogaa , hur saal gantantra divas evam svatantraa divas pay ek naa ek editorial may yeh common dialogue jaroor likhaa hotaa hai .

IT's a very common phrase guys .I have read it 10 thousand times before .
Old December 10th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Pelu Pelu

Yes it is a common phrase uttered commonly by a certain slybhoot..
Old December 10th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Talking

oh oh you forgot to add his other gazillion sister IDs
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old December 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Senior eCharchan

nydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to allnydood is a name known to all
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
vaise is baar biggie ka baburao ko lightning strike nahi hua.. usually instantaneous thunder clap hota hai..
Ab wahan pe kuch bacha hi nahi hoga.. itni baar lightening strike hui hai
Old December 10th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Netra an excellent post

I rally feel that we need to teach our next generation about taking pride in being Indians.

What BlrBoy refers to is not Nationalism but "Religion Tainted Nationislistic fervour propagated by political parties". Yes this perverse version of Nationalism is causing problems where a Muslim feels he is being screwed by Hindus and vice-versa.

Yes we need to teach the children abotu what it means to live in our nation, what it means to be free and have so many freedoms like we do, what our country offers us which no other does, etc.

Unless we instill a sense of pride and the reasons for it in children when they sing Jana Gana Mana it will remain a song that has to be sung because the teacher said so.

Freedom.. Enjoy it.. Chersih it..