eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old June 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lousy Desis at workplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
See, I think you will have a "desi" from every nation. Even from US, they behave like they have never been in cold weather, talk on and on about how "nice" it is where they live etc.
And some people immediately switch to Spanish if they have a group of 10 where 5 are Spanish.

So, its not just Indians, its with every one.
You nailed it.This issue starts in India.

My friend who is marathi works for a telecom giant in India.Whenever he goes to their regional head of operations,he has to understand gujrati.the gujju guys would never even speak in hindi (english is out of question ).The bins smell of 120 paan ,thanks to these guys spitting in them.

Their gujrati becomes harder to understand when their mouth is full of 120 paan.

when those guys come to the actual operations.the marathi guys do the same thing.they purposely talk in marathi.

I got gujju friends and those who are from south mumbai,who own buildings and have geenrations born and raised in Mumbai ,do not talk in gujju,they find it embarrassing somehow.On the other hand the neo-rich from the suburbs who are 1st-2nd generation in mumbai would be more than happy to talk in gujju.
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you ask, I am going for coffee, do you want to join: the answer would not be yes or no. It would be, I am vegetarian...emm, yes, lets go. fgkasmf;lkzfdk

really? I dont believe that!
Old June 7th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Senior eCharchan

rahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanfanabhi View Post
You nailed it.This issue starts in India.

My friend who is marathi works for a telecom giant in India.Whenever he goes to their regional head of operations,he has to understand gujrati.the gujju guys would never even speak in hindi (english is out of question ).The bins smell of 120 paan ,thanks to these guys spitting in them.

Their gujrati becomes harder to understand when their mouth is full of 120 paan.

when those guys come to the actual operations.the marathi guys do the same thing.they purposely talk in marathi.

I got gujju friends and those who are from south mumbai,who own buildings and have geenrations born and raised in Mumbai ,do not talk in gujju,they find it embarrassing somehow.On the other hand the neo-rich from the suburbs who are 1st-2nd generation in mumbai would be more than happy to talk in gujju.
I thot that chewing 120 paans is an epidemic in Eastern UP - Bhaiyyas, as they are lovingly called... Mostly pandeys, shuklas, chaturvedis, dwivedis, mishras, pathaks etc.. Gujaratis are mostly into 'masalas'....!! But ofcourse, both are red in color...
Old June 7th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulpsharma View Post
I thot that chewing 120 paans is an epidemic in Eastern UP - Bhaiyyas, as they are lovingly called... Mostly pandeys, shuklas, chaturvedis, dwivedis, mishras, pathaks etc.. Gujaratis are mostly into 'masalas'....!! But ofcourse, both are red in color...
nah..actually the old kaka generation is a full time mawa/120/140 addict.the new generation is more of gutkhabaaz
Old June 8th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have some vegetarian desis at work who at the drop of their hat proclaim that they are vegetarian. For no good reason, out of the blue too. If you ask, I am going for coffee, do you want to join: the answer would not be yes or no. It would be, I am vegetarian...emm, yes, lets go. fgkasmf;lkzfdk
don't fgkasmf;lkzfdk them. I understand their plight.
We were 5 families and wanted to go picnic. Two families (mine included were vegetarians). We would meet and hang around... then we decided to picnic. So non-veg folks were "forced" to go vegetarian. We thot, picnic was fun time and not eating time. These families were frustrated.... and when we nekhst met a few times they were behaving funny. Then some one weekend they all went home earlier then usual and we found kind of odd and their behavior was FUNNY. We stayed back in the meet area for some more time and we found some of them still loitering around suggesting they didn't have 'important' thing to do and we found that super odd and we left as we grew uncomfortable. One of the odd families confessed later that they went for another picnic that odd day and they ate killed animals.

For non-veg folks, high restaurant rating is where they fry roosters best. Their discussion on what is the best way to fry a bird is revolting.

So don't fgkasmf;lkzfdk them. They are zimbly asking "do you really want me to join? I don't eat birds and animals. Lest you wanna go another outing with carnivores after getting frustrated with me."

Last edited by krantikari; June 8th, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
really? I dont believe that!
No? See post 20. They do say it, even if their intention is something else.

Last edited by Rakhi; June 9th, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari View Post
We were 5 families and wanted to go picnic. Two families (mine included were vegetarians). We would meet and hang around... then we decided to picnic. So non-veg folks were "forced" to go vegetarian. We thot, picnic was fun time and not eating time. These families were frustrated.... and when we nekhst met a few times they were behaving funny. Then some one weekend they all went home earlier then usual and we found kind of odd and their behavior was FUNNY. We stayed back in the meet area for some more time and we found some of them still loitering around suggesting they didn't have 'important' thing to do and we found that super odd and we left as we grew uncomfortable. One of the odd families confessed later that they went for another picnic that odd day and they ate killed animals.

For non-veg folks, high restaurant rating is where they fry roosters best. Their discussion on what is the best way to fry a bird is revolting.

So don't fgkasmf;lkzfdk them. They are zimbly asking "do you really want me to join? I don't eat birds and animals. Lest you wanna go another outing with carnivores after getting frustrated with me."
Do you have to give me such a big lecture for asking coffee? Usually in coffee places there is no veg or non-veg version. Anyway, I didn't mean any offense when I said some vegetarians say they are vegetarians. It's out of the blue they say they are vegetarians. They would sound like they are mocking peoe who eat meat.

But talking about killing animals amidst people who are vegetarian is bad taste. If it happened to me, I would stand up to them and tell them off. I hope you did too.
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There's already been many many many discussions on this

It comes down to personal choices. A veggie chooses not to eat meat. A nov veggie chooses to. When a veggie goes to a non-veggies house for dinner, it is the hosts responsibility to ensure that there is something veggie for them to eat. Similarly, when a non-veggie goes to a veggies house for dinner, it should be the host's responsibility to ensure that there is some meat for the non-veggies to eat. But 99% of the time they dont. It is this give and take that does not happen and is wrong.

Isnt it the responsibility of the host to make sure that their guests choices are catered to?

In the case of your picnic, why was it decided to go veggie? Couldnt you do both? If the veggies are forcing their choices on the non-veggies of course they are going to be pissed off. The non-veggies dont force the veggies to eat meat right? So I dont blame them for abandoning the stupid picnic. If it was all about the meeting and not the food, then you should alternate. Next picnic only non-veggie food. Absolutely no ghaas poos. Then see how the veggies react.
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

another example of a lousy desi who sits right next to me at work.. one gora colleague has a candy jar for everybody to eat from, he refills every time its empty.. this bugger took all the orange lollipops from the jar and put them in his drawer.. one day when somebody said he can't find any, he goes oh I like those ones so I took them all..
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post

It comes down to personal choices. A veggie chooses not to eat meat. A nov veggie chooses to. When a veggie goes to a non-veggies house for dinner, it is the hosts responsibility to ensure that there is something veggie for them to eat. Similarly, when a non-veggie goes to a veggies house for dinner, it should be the host's responsibility to ensure that there is some meat for the non-veggies to eat. But 99% of the time they dont. It is this give and take that does not happen and is wrong.

Isnt it the responsibility of the host to make sure that their guests choices are catered to?

In the case of your picnic, why was it decided to go veggie? Couldnt you do both? If the veggies are forcing their choices on the non-veggies of course they are going to be pissed off. The non-veggies dont force the veggies to eat meat right? So I dont blame them for abandoning the stupid picnic. If it was all about the meeting and not the food, then you should alternate. Next picnic only non-veggie food. Absolutely no ghaas poos. Then see how the veggies react.

If the non-veggies choose not to eat any veggies then I ll have some non-veggie dish for them for sure. but it never happened. At my previous workplace, some of the non-veggies were eating veggie dishes first so that they can hoard the non-veggies leftovers.

Old June 10th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premi View Post
If the non-veggies choose not to eat any veggies then I ll have some non-veggie dish for them for sure. but it never happened. At my previous workplace, some of the non-veggies were eating veggie dishes first so that they can hoard the non-veggies leftovers.

heheheh .. bhukkad saale. But i will guarantee you this, if you have good non-veggie choices (as much as veggie choices) and you invite me to your party, I promise not to touch any of the ghaas phoos.
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I have seen amrus do this too....suddenly, they become health conscious when there is only 1 veggie pizza pie in the room
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post

I knew you would react as I know I touched a sensitive nerve here
The best I can do for non-veggies is to serve them bought cake that has eggs in them. A few years ago, I wouldn't even do that. Consider yourselves lucky.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
I knew you would react as I know I touched a sensitive nerve here
The best I can do for non-veggies is to serve them bought cake that has eggs in them. A few years ago, I wouldn't even do that. Consider yourselves lucky.
Wow - you must be such an amazing host
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:

I have seen this happen. Actually, I learned this the hardway at work. we had equal number of vegetarians and non-vegetarians (in India) at work place. So, I ordered equal number of veg-samosas and non-veg samosas. What do you know, some non-veggies first finished the veggi samosas and then started on non-veg samosas! So, from then on, i normally order/make a little extra vegetarian dishes compared to non-veg.