eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old January 9th, 2018, 11:32 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it advisable to quit work or stay put?

I was advising planning, and surely things prolly aren't so bad that you would quit before finding a new job.

Longer duration between jobs is frowned upon by employers unless you can explain with a reasonable excuse.. you can't say I didn't like working with the people or company. You don't talk bad about your current/previous employers.. makes you sound bitter and tough to work with.
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
How does one accomplish that Sane? Not work when there is work to be done? serious question!
That's the catch... you always work, 24 hours 7 days a week. You are always available to everyone. But now your work spreads thin and it feels as if you are not working at all

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old January 10th, 2018, 06:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

razzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond reputerazzrhino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Thanks, Aashkika tai, you are a good and true friend

And to add a few more,

You are unhappy but you hardly work. So good compensation for minimum work and come and go as you please.
After all those years, lethargy has set good and solid.
Do not feel like working hard again, which a new job will require.
You are unhappy but you can make others unhappy too.

Sounds like the "aatopaarnography aaf a saneless yogi"
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:00 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post

If it is not going to get better at work, at what point will you/your friend decide that enough is enough?
that was my first glance response. It is about a balance between what you want and what you get. If enough is enough then quit!

on the other hand, I am so jealous of people who show as if they are working hard but are just coasting! Skill I want to learn too....

I think the trick is to just do only enough - keyword being thrown around is minimum mandatory keep close to your boss and make positive whining noises about how much work you have and find out boss's pain points & focus on them.....
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

A wise recruiter once said to me - You are not changing your job! You are changing your manager.

In most cases of job change, the candidate is changing his/her manager. A company might be really good, but God save you from an asshole manager. I have experienced this couple of times.

So, I repeat - No one is happy in his/her job unless they are the CEO of the company. But then again, the board of directors and the stock market is on your ass 24/7. Or in a private unlisted company the investors are on your ass.

So, yes try to find what makes you happy at work. Is it the work that makes you happy? Is it the colleagues and team that keep your spirits high? etc.

But again, having worked so many years, I have realised that nothing makes me happy other than the paycheck. Rest all is non-sense and the chewtiya Facebook and self-help book type non-sense.

No job is perfect. Time is running out as you are not getting younger. So your aim should be to make as much money as you can as you will need every penny of it when you retire. No one cares if you were happy in your job or not when it comes to paying bills and medical expenses, especially in your old age.

Do some side projects - if you are into software - or contribute to open source for job satisfaction. That will make you feel happy perhaps, but at the job just do whatever is needed and keep your asshole manager happy. Get paid well. Period.
Old January 15th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

I would hate to be able to stay home. I mean, it gets so mundane. non-stop cleaning, cooking, chauffeuring kids around; I am by no means saying its bad. Its just not my cup of tea. Doing all these everyday, all day. I do this everyday but not all day. Imagine if thats what should be done every single day?!

Echarcha has a point. Perhaps it all boils down to how much money one makes. There is no way around this manager (friend says). how much are we willing to put up with this? Hopefully one day we can answer this.

For now, stay out unless we get a job that pays 25K or more above what we are currently making.
Old January 17th, 2018, 11:05 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I would hate to be able to stay home. I mean, it gets so mundane. non-stop cleaning, cooking, chauffeuring kids around; I am by no means saying its bad. Its just not my cup of tea. Doing all these everyday, all day. I do this everyday but not all day. Imagine if thats what should be done every single day?!

Echarcha has a point. Perhaps it all boils down to how much money one makes. There is no way around this manager (friend says). how much are we willing to put up with this? Hopefully one day we can answer this.

For now, stay out unless we get a job that pays 25K or more above what we are currently making.
I have worked for many many years now. What it all boils down to is - You never get everything you want. Heck, you should consider yourself lucky if you get 50% of what you want at the office.

Managers are all about kissing ass of their managers and the chain goes all the way up the ladder. Very few manage to not brown nose and keep some sense of dignity and be good leaders.

As for money, yes money is all important. I was in a job which was really fuck-all because the manager was a major league asshole. I mean he must have been part of the committee which came up with the word 'asshole'

But the pay was good. So I found happiness outside the office with good old friends and family.

In the end nothing else matters but money. Also, lot of people go crazy after promotions and shit. I give a damn. If I am not getting a good pay hike then I let my displeasure known and look for another job. Its the money. Period.

And when I realize that a colleague or a manager is an idiot, I dont bother correcting him nor do I feel depressed. I keep smiling because remember, keep smiling as the boss loves idiots

And never ever bother with things like "Shit I can do this better". Let your boss do what he thinks is right.. Let him fall on his face... Who cares?