eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old February 5th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting Delhi...advise needed please!

I have been to Delhi many many years ago, two times. I can tell you things which are definitely relevant today also

1) Be careful of thugs like taxi drivers too. Better check the route and keep your phone maps on.
2) Do not flash cash everywhere. Keep minimal in wallet. Use credit cards where possible
3) From the airport get a taxi from the official booths inside the airport, get a receipt. Do not go out and try to get a taxi directly.

Remember, Delhi is full of thugs and con-men. No wonder they called it Dilli Ka Thug.

Delhi is full of 'showy flashy' people who talk big. Don't fall for it.

And yes, use Hindi.. Do not stand out like a sore thumb NRI with 'english' .. speak Hindi there.

And if possible get out of Delhi as soon as you are done with whatever you are going there for. There is nothing much to see in Delhi as its a cemetery - Shakti Sthal, Yeh Sthal, That Sthal .. where all past leaders have been enshrined.

And if you have seen Red Fort on tv, good. Its nothing awesome to see in person.

Delhi is polluted and air pollution can cause you serious breathing problems. So carry your regular medicines too.

Delhi is a shit place, full of thugs and flashy fake assholes.
Old February 5th, 2019, 04:49 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

^^ She and family will need to take a crash course in Hindi speaking

Cha pai is exaggerating a bit.. but in Delhi and all of North India you don’t want to appear gullible or easy going.. be ready to shout and scold if needed. Be alert !
Old February 5th, 2019, 07:03 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

^^
Years of staying in Canada might have made her conversant in Punjabi. that may work in Delhi.
Else, i would agree with Sutradharji. At least from my experience in 90s. i had to pay a bunch of guys 50rs near new delhi station. just to compensate them for the time they spent on unsuccessfully trying to get me into a shady hotel.
That station was a mafia place. My scooter had passed through 3 states before, but when it landed in delhi, it was without the clutch and clutch wire.

But if you are careful, it is better now. When we landed, a guy from Southern hotel came to pick us up and took us to the hotel. We were constantly calling and we avoided any guys soliciting to ride.

The auto and taxi drivers were mafia (The DLT taxis in 90s were good though- They worked out cheaper than autos many times). We managed to avoid those by going only with hotel transport and took metro to go to Dilli Haat. The travel guys took us to a fake Dilli Haat in the Delhi tour. Many who go are southies (mostly gults) and do not know the real Dilli Haat. Better half was thrilled when i took her to the real Dilli haat. While she was shopping, the boys and me had this
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
There is mother dairy too in Dillika.

Served cold

After I finished
Old February 5th, 2019, 07:14 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I am also low end sgars...I just mentioned Maurya likes so that its easier to understand that I am not looking for 4 rooms in a 5 or a 7 star hotel for a week. I know how expensive Delhi and Mumbai can get; especially for a big family

I am not looking at hotels at this point; mostly a residential home so that we can all stay together (us, parents and parents-inlaws...though it sounds like a very bad idea but elders are insisting). My parents cannot eat out everyday either; so its best if I look at airbn. I am not sure where to go, what to book. I did look at the websites...I will have to look which would be a good place so its easier to travel and not get stuck in traffic for hours.any idea?
I checked airbnb for Delhi. There are some decent deals for full houses.
The attractions in Delhi are spread all over.
Airport is in Southwest, Qutub minar is in South, Bahai temple not so south. Rashtrapati Bhavan in Central Delhi. Red for is in North east. West and north west are residential. No major attactions.

One boon for Delhi is the metro. other than when it is crowded say 5 PM or 9 AM, it could easily take you places. So, you could try taking a place close to a metro station.

Else, enjoy Delhi. It was a rushed visit last summer, but i managed to sneak out of our hotel room into a 'singing bar' in Karol Bagh. It was summer and there was no pollution. i will post a few pix separately.
Old February 5th, 2019, 10:49 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Delhi has shit to see. All that Qutab Minar and all that is shit. Nothing great. President's house... ho hum...

I find Delhi to be the worst place in India after Calcutta.

All the Delhi taxi-drivers are thugs...

There used to be a fast food joint called Nirulas. I dont know if they are around but some places have good North Indian food.

And unless you have family dying to meet with, why are you going to shitty Delhi?

And please that Parathewali Gully is all shit. The Parathas are all shit and just hyped. You want better Parathas, you go to Chandigarh or Amritsar. Delhi is shit.
Old February 6th, 2019, 02:30 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
There are actually no forex charges on a Costco Visa card which almost all US desus have.
how are the forex rates though? Most cards will fleece you either in charges or rates. That's why I was saying go for one which gives you real time bank exchange rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
Your comments are irrelevant right after this ........
thanks! irrelevant - like yours

btw, what do you login to echarcha for - if not irrelevant comments?
Old February 6th, 2019, 02:31 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Delhi has shit to see. All that Qutab Minar and all that is shit. Nothing great. President's house... ho hum...

I find Delhi to be the worst place in India after Calcutta.

All the Delhi taxi-drivers are thugs...

There used to be a fast food joint called Nirulas. I dont know if they are around but some places have good North Indian food.

And unless you have family dying to meet with, why are you going to shitty Delhi?

And please that Parathewali Gully is all shit. The Parathas are all shit and just hyped. You want better Parathas, you go to Chandigarh or Amritsar. Delhi is shit.
I disagree, does feel in Kolkata like every one is out to con you, fleece you or loot you. Delhi takes the top spot there. Cal comes after....
Old February 6th, 2019, 03:12 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

That way.. what is Mumbai? Just shanties and slum all over. You’ll find people shitting on the sides of the roads..
Old February 6th, 2019, 04:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
That way.. what is Mumbai? Just shanties and slum all over. You’ll find people shitting on the sides of the roads..
the stench or the scenes will not kill you nor fleece you so your savings are gone or you dont have money to go back home. the emotional stress of being in delhi is much more than being in mumbai - which is a different game altogether. the worst part of mumbai is not the shit, its the travel....
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
the stench or the scenes will not kill you nor fleece you so your savings are gone or you dont have money to go back home. the emotional stress of being in delhi is much more than being in mumbai - which is a different game altogether. the worst part of mumbai is not the shit, its the travel....
Looks like you're the gullible types.. If you're just a bit street smart, nobody can rob you. Too much fear mongering going on here.

When I lived for about half a year in Mumbai.. the thing that struck me the most was the stark difference of slums and high rises.. all within a few feet of each other. It did seem like living in 2 different worlds at the same time.. you're paying 60K rent a month and your building is surrounded by people struggling to make a living.
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You must, if you like Mughlai cuisine, visit Bukhara in ITC Maurya, if you haven't already that is. Lifetime best food experience it is.

Taj Mahal is boring, I would go to Jaipur, much more to see around, and more royal stuff to experience.

In India I would choose a decent hotel, don't skimp and lose out on a 5-star treatment in 3 star hotel, compared to US. You get good breakfast on the house.. and idli dosa also for you.
As a matter of fact, I did try Bhukara from Maurya. It was several years ago, I went through a company when we were hiring from campus recruitments. Since I didnt pay, I booked my stay there

I must confess, you are the first person who said taj mahal is boring. I havent seen that monument yet (I know...I am ashamed of not seeing it yet).
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Looks like you're the gullible types.. If you're just a bit street smart, nobody can rob you.
maybe I am gullible, maybe I am street smart, maybe I am a retard like you have said before... What I am for sure, is aware. fear mongering or not, I will be careful while I am in Delhi and that says a lot about Delhi than about me!
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:53 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
When I lived for about half a year in Mumbai.. the thing that struck me the most was the stark difference of slums and high rises.. all within a few feet of each other. It did seem like living in 2 different worlds at the same time.. you're paying 60K rent a month and your building is surrounded by people struggling to make a living.

at the risk of digressing from the topic, the bigger bloody problem is in some mumbai areas, you might pay 60k rent a month and still not live in space better than slum!
I know of rooms rented in mumbai to two people at the same time - one person can only occupy it during the day and the other can only occupy it at night... people working shifts use accomodations like this
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
As a matter of fact, I did try Bhukara from Maurya. It was several years ago, I went through a company when we were hiring from campus recruitments. Since I didnt pay, I booked my stay there

I must confess, you are the first person who said taj mahal is boring. I havent seen that monument yet (I know...I am ashamed of not seeing it yet).
you been to delhi before?

Aashika tai khel le rahi hai sabka...
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Looks like you're the gullible types.. If you're just a bit street smart, nobody can rob you. Too much fear mongering going on here.

Delhi involves being extra street smart.
Posted this elsewhere onEC, butonce a sardarji asking for directions, seemed too polite for a Delhi walla. Found that he was from Chandigarh!
Experience teaches you though. A roadside restaurant served some salad as a side and charged 15 rs for that (lot for me those days). Next time onwards I used to shout a those putting these baits.

2 things which are over reported (mostly by NDTV)
- pollution. Was not much. Same as Hyderabad.
- Women’s safety or respect- we got caught in a crowded metro train and the men were accommodating to better half.

Last edited by sgars; February 6th, 2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: ^^ becomes quoted message. I started the post and left it there, there when a lot many posted.