eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old May 8th, 2003, 06:12 AM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute
Indo US Charity - I'm amazed!!!

This is one thing I am just not able to understand. This concerns an old friend Shiela (name changed). She was one yr sr to me in school - known her for a long time. She is a Christian.

She came to US about 7 years ago. The moment she came here, she was involved in charity. She is in IT, but would work Sats in library, training Sr citizens to use internet, poor children. (Once a week). But in India, she never did any of those things. Three years back she had to return to India for a couple of years. She stopped her charity. Last year she came to US - she started charity again.

Basically, she is ready to do charity in US and not in India. The need in India is more. I just don't understand her. Try as I can, Im not able to fathom this. Can anyone throw some light on possible motivation??
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:23 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
looks like a sad case of SACS- Suck American Cock Syndrome
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute
When I was in college, I was involved in Social Service. Not too much - 3-4 hrs a week. Buss. Jyada nahee karneka. Limit mein. I was often ridiculed as a "do-gooder". Fine. But the ppl who ridiculed me were thye very ones who wud argue on end about changing India - discipline - passing laws - student activism!!! Shit!!!! This was crazy. Im still amazed!!!
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Senior eCharchan

BlrBoy is on a distinguished road
Maybe she has a lot of time on her hand in US. Maybe she is bored out here, so she takes up charity.
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:28 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute
its similar dont u think ...

u dont work at a resturant in India or in the post office or as a janitor .. but u will do all this work when in the US ...

Its the place and the mind-setting of the people that makes the difference .. thats wot i think
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Aaapka Dost

Rahul will become famous soon enoughRahul will become famous soon enough
Nope its FUCDS

Quote:
Originally posted by vakil sahib
looks like a sad case of SACS- Suck American Cock Syndrome
Nahi nahi vakil Shahib,

This may be FUCDS (future US citizenship dream Syndrome )
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by JaiSpeaks

Its the place and the mind-setting of the people that makes the difference .. thats wot i think
I agree with you. I remember in college when I tried to get involved in social work, most people made fun of my zeal, saying yeah right you are going to improve the world, elders said why are you wasting your time doing this? study and get better grades to do something with your life.

Also there is lot of backdoor politics there even at the grassroots level which disillusions you a lot.

I have not volunteered here in such institutions, but I have seen friends who do.. and I have noticed that voluteerism is encourraged here - no matter what your age. There is pride in what you do. The mindset is different.

And also it has nothing to do with citizenship.. becos you do not need to say you volunteered in order to "get better chances at being a citizen" Whether you volunteered or not has nothing to do with you application for citizenship.
------------------------------------------------
A Proud Indian American
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
I'd have to agree with Vakil and Hool. Things like social service et al reflect pretty well when one is planning to apply for citizenship.

Bhai Chingaree, tu koi achchha naam nahi soch sakta tha?? Sheila, Champa, Gulabo type kay naam sun kay dil meiN ganday khayaal aatay haiN
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Senior Echarchan

Super Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSuper Girl is a glorious beacon of light
I would really like to know when during the process of application for US citizenship is someone asked about their activities as such, especially volunteerism.

As far as I know (because I HAVE been through it) NOT a single time. I know several other people who have been through the naturalization process, and NOT ONE was asked about it either.

I would suggest conduct some research before jumping to conclusions.

Vakilbhai might be right about ass-licking but it is definitely not for citzenship purposes. I would think it would stem more from a feeling to belong in the community.
A Proud Indian American
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Girl
I would really like to know when during the process of application for US citizenship is someone asked about their activities as such, especially volunteerism.

As far as I know (because I HAVE been through it) NOT a single time. I know several other people who have been through the naturalization process, and NOT ONE was asked about it either.
I think that was because you went through the regular route. I know two cases (one was a missionary and another one was a regular catholic) who got got a direct citizenship (without even GC) because of their social work activities. If you make yourself prominent thro' social work and are able to get some good contacts with the church officials, the route to citizenship becomes easy.

It's just the same as immigrants joining the army to speed up the citizenship process. If one serves for a particular period of time, or gets wounded in action, they get the citizenship through the discretionary quota.

Though, I would admit that our judging the intentions of Sheila without even knowing who she is, was wrong. But it is a definite possibility. I know people who are still trying this route and they even admit it.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Senior Echarchan

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G
I think that was because you went through the regular route. I know two cases (one was a missionary and another one was a regular catholic) who got got a direct citizenship (without even GC) because of their social work activities. If you make yourself prominent thro' social work and are able to get some good contacts with the church officials, the route to citizenship becomes easy.

It's just the same as immigrants joining the army to speed up the citizenship process. If one serves for a particular period of time, or gets wounded in action, they get the citizenship through the discretionary quota.
These people are what we call career volunteers. They are few and far removed and not a part of the majority.

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G
Though, I would admit that our judging the intentions of Sheila without even knowing who she is, was wrong. But it is a definite possibility. I know people who are still trying this route and they even admit it.
Exactly my point how can you even jump to conclusion about anybody and everybody without knowing the circustances? Going by the logic in the earlier posts, it would seem anyone who is into social work and volunteerism is doing it for the sole benefit of getting citizenship or simply ass-licking. That is negative stereotyping.
A Proud Indian American
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

guys, the girl is a software hotshot